Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

isaboo posted:

Hell yea. MiTM and NewsRadio are two shows I never get tired of watching and are my go-tos if I'm not in the mood for anything else but need something on

MitM was a real gem of relatablity as sitcoms went. A lot like early Roseanne was, before that show got really dumb, and before they rebooted it for more money and she went full Trumper dipshit.

E: my god that reboot is still going isn't it? Tv has fallen so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

No, they killed her off and started a new show called The Connors and it’s actually not too bad

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
I finally started Mythic Quest and by episode 2 it was firing on all cylinders and I was loving this funny rear end show and then I got to Dark Quiet Death and am just a wreck, why did no one warn me?!?!

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Also binging Mythic and liking it a lot, the non-Zoom episode they did before the second season was especially great, but yeah DQD being an unexpected standalone in the middle of the season was super great. Kinda reminded of me of aspects of Halt and Catch Fire.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib

Oasx posted:

If you have John Noble you don't wait until the last episode to feature him.

How dare they hold him off till the last episode! Man deserves center stage in everything.

DogsInSpace!
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Digital Jedi posted:

How dare they hold him off till the last episode! Man deserves center stage in everything.

Absolute truth. Even sadder is his character just radiates menace and power in a way nobody else comes close to. Him as a season two and beyond big bad (think Farscape Scorpius) would have been so much fun. I’m probably the only person that wishes it had another season or two. Still think the soundtrack was nice and I really liked the alt world time loop episode. Oh well... at least it wasn’t as painful as Almost Human dying in one season.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

spending eight hours to get where the movie they're remaking got by the end of the opening titles.

I am very sick of shows treating their entire first seasons like premise pilots. Just get to the story you actually want to tell!

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
I could have sworn the Sweet Thing show would have been based on the same property as the "Sugar, We're Going Down" video clip as it looks exactly the same and you know, sugar is sweet. But nope! It appears the comic only came out in 2009.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

Never heard of it before this post but I'm gonna watch the movie tonight since it sounds Good. Thanks :thumbsup:

Sweet. Lemme know how you like it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Escobarbarian posted:

I am very sick of shows treating their entire first seasons like premise pilots. Just get to the story you actually want to tell!

Yeah it's a real issue. You aren't guaranteed tons of seasons for a slow burn! And if people get bored you're definitely not getting them.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
I was doubtful after the first two weeks, but Black Monday continues to be very good this season.

Edit: Holy poo poo, Amelie Gillette wrote that episode. loving raaaad.

Escobarbarian posted:

I just don't watch these shows anymore. It's mostly Netflix shows, and I find myself dismissing those more and more.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Jun 6, 2021

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Just saw the trailer for Mosquito Coast. Justin Theroux and Melissa George? Hell yeah! Please tell me it's good?

Edit: just realized this was the show being criticized on the previous page. Goddamit!

Looten Plunder fucked around with this message at 13:26 on Jun 6, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looten Plunder posted:

Just saw the trailer for Mosquito Coast. Justin Theroux and Melissa George? Hell yeah! Please tell me it's good?

No, LP, no. Watch the opening credits and imagine what that show would have been, because The Mosquito Coast is not that.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I finished For All Mankind s2 this morning and I don’t know if words are enough to explain how much I loved that finale. One of the best and most intense episodes of TV I’ve seen in a really long time, that paid off every running storyline from the season beautifully (except that one bad one). Definitely my show of the year so far, no question.

False
Oct 6, 2003
i have friends who will pull magazine models wearing headphones off of trains without even speaking the same language as them. Friends who will show up in a town after hitchhiking cross country for 3 days without showering and pull two girls working

Escobarbarian posted:

I finished For All Mankind s2 this morning and I don’t know if words are enough to explain how much I loved that finale. One of the best and most intense episodes of TV I’ve seen in a really long time, that paid off every running storyline from the season beautifully (except that one bad one). Definitely my show of the year so far, no question.

Thanks for posting. Really liked the first season for its admirable avoidance of (too much) family drama...until it started to lean real hard into exactly that. Was going to quit with the end of season 1 but will pick up 2 now!

Also got into the Righteous Gemstones thanks to a mention a few pages back and its extremely...OK? I like everyone involved but its an OK version of exactly what you'd expect from everyone involved doing their thing and just coasting.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Season 2 unfortunately has a ton of dumb drama that definitely drags the season down compared to the first one. It’s still good, just not as good as the first one.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Uhhhh gently caress no???? Season 2 is way better. There’s two major family drama storylines and one pays off BEAUTIFULLY in the finale and one is the bad one I was talking about but it’s one bad storyline out of like, 11.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
e: edited out a lovely rude post sorry I just love season 2 so much

Escobarbarian fucked around with this message at 16:18 on Jun 6, 2021

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

We just binged through futureman on Hulu, and wolf might be one of the greatest characters in any tv show, even if they did jump the shark with him a few dozen times.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

We just binged through futureman on Hulu, and wolf might be one of the greatest characters in any tv show, even if they did jump the shark with him a few dozen times.

While I liked the series as a whole it was kind of hilarious how much the budget dropped each season.

Also it has low key the funniest ending to any show ever with the "real story" reveal and the whitewashing.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I’m finally working my way through For All Mankind S2 and it’s real good so far. I’m about halfway through the season, and my only trepidation is oh god are they really doing this “Karen and Gordo’s kid have an affair” plot line that seems to be getting set up? Seems like a shark-jumpy type plot.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

That's the one bad plotline that really just doesn't fit with anything else going on, or the character as set up in season 1. It thankfully ends pretty decisively.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

I’m finally working my way through For All Mankind S2 and it’s real good so far. I’m about halfway through the season, and my only trepidation is oh god are they really doing this “Karen and Gordo’s kid have an affair” plot line that seems to be getting set up? Seems like a shark-jumpy type plot.

It sucks rear end but yeah like I said in an earlier post it’s one storyline out of many so it didn’t really affect my enjoyment of the season at all

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I really like duncanville and I think they way they've scheduled it without the support of any of the other bigger shows is going to kill it dead lol.

Par for the course I suppose

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Seems like they are trying to launch a 2nd animation night but that pet show looks terribly unfunny.

I'm enjoying Duncanville too, I like it when they swerve into the surreal. It's not super amazing or anything, but it's been consistent.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

OldSenileGuy posted:

It is hilariously inappropriate on several levels but at least you can laugh at the absurdity. It’s the one low point of an otherwise great season, imo.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Escobarbarian posted:

Uhhhh gently caress no???? Season 2 is way better. There’s two major family drama storylines and one pays off BEAUTIFULLY in the finale and one is the bad one I was talking about but it’s one bad storyline out of like, 11.

It seemed like most people in thread for the show were frustrated with the season, though many felt that the last episode made up for it.

I just wanted more space stuff, and less cheap family drama.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Any time I tried to read the thread there was a lot of complaining about unrealistic science stuff so I kinda gave up

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Oasx posted:

See also: Away

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Oasx posted:

It seemed like most people in thread for the show were frustrated with the season, though many felt that the last episode made up for it.

family drama is cheap space is expensive!!

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Azhais posted:

See also: Away

The First also did this!!!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lodge 49's 2nd season is even better than the first and so satisfactorily completes its various storylines that I feel like I just had a sumptous meal.

Flawless show.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Shageletic posted:

Lodge 49's 2nd season is even better than the first and so satisfactorily completes its various storylines that I feel like I just had a sumptous meal.

Flawless show.

For some reason I thought it was a big mystery show that got canceled prematurely? did it actually have a satisfying ending?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Aardvark! posted:

For some reason I thought it was a big mystery show that got canceled prematurely? did it actually have a satisfying ending?

I've only seen two episodes so far, to be fair, but it's not a mystery show at all. It's kind of a weird hangout drama that's less about plot and more about general vibe, if that makes any sense.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Oasx posted:

For me, it was mostly that they kept doing long, drawn out family drama segments when the end of the season was creeping up and it didn't seem like there was any resolution on the horizon for how things were escalating. They brought it home eventually, but it's stressful when a show you really like looks like they are dropping the ball.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Aardvark! posted:

Arist is right. There are mysteries but they’re not really the kind that get answered and it’s mostly about the vibe

Also yes season 2 is so great and even better than the first

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Aardvark! posted:

The mystery....is like beside the point? Its mostly about characters finding connections in a weird and unfathomable world.

Its kinda philosophical in that way. The 2nd season ends with a cliffhanger involving the main character, but in a sort of black comic way that sort of makes sense? Lol, its hard to explain but I can easily see it as an ending in a Coens brother movie.

Not to say Id love to see more eps. The creator mentioned that he had planned out 4 seasons in all. But that was 2 years ago...

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Escobarbarian posted:

I thought the family drama was mostly not overdone. The one plot point about Annapolis that resulted in some family drama was handled perfectly. It went from crap they are going to drag this, to it was all wrapped in 5 minutes. That said the one plot point everyone is upset about makes no sense given how well they handled the other. To be honest I am not that upset about the unbelievable affair, it is the fact that she would tell him about right before going into space. She has been a Navy wife for a few decades, she knows better.

The only other thing the show handled kind of wrong was Sally Ride at the end. Still everything else was spot on to me and it is my favorite show of 2021 so far despite it's few shortcomings. As I said before Michael Dorman deserves an Emmy nod just for his weight gain and weight loss.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
The answers to the mysteries of Lodge 49 can all be found in this book:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Lol

But Lodge 49 is very much like a book, a paperback about a ex surfer stumbling into conspiracies and making friends.

Its like lighter Pynchon.