Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

people wanted a new thread instead of just converting the Mordhau thread, so here's a general for Sword Man Games.

so, what is a...

Medieval Combat Sims, or Sword Games are action-combat melee-focused, (typically) first-person video games akin to fighting games, where individual skill, battlefield awareness, and pressing the taunt/scream button are presented as the most important facets of the player experience. Players generally assume the role of a single soldier on a pitched battlefield of many, or as a single duelist in organized competitions, where they must live by the blade or die tryin'. Sword Games are often intense, personal affairs due to the skill-based and close-quarters nature of the genre, and are popular with the kind of players that like to get real good at cool sword moves and want to have honorable combat with other sweatlords.

Come play game m'lord

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYu8hF5-JAs

Chivalry 2 is the newest Sword Game, and it's pretty good! They just got done with an open beta, and the game proper will be out on June 8th. It's launching for PS4, PS5, all 700 modern xboxes, and Windows 10 PC (but only Epic Games Store, lol). Most goon population is on PC but the game supports full cross-platform play!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Po0Yz87y4PA
Official IGN Exclusive AAA+ Gameplay I guess I didn't watch it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJp24-4u4Y
a short rundown of some of the major changes between Chivalry 2 and the previous big Sword Game, Mordhau.

<insert more good videos here>

do you have any...

https://trello.com/b/7HnXYjSb/chivalry-2-roadmap-preview
Developer Trello, which tracks known issues and upcoming content updates/roadmaps.

CUM PLAY M'LORD is an old goon discord created for Mordhau but is now primarily about Bannerlord and Chiv 2

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Jun 10, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

are there any...

yeah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFpoDlH6Sxs

Mordhau, named after a cool sword technique where you grab the blade and hit a dude in the head with your cross-guard, was the previous Big Sword Game. What separates it from Chivalry 2 is a (very slightly) less cartooney/silly presentation and a bigger focus on fluid sword techniques like chambering and all that, and imo, better customization of your armor and weapons (but not your dude; we'll get to that below). It has its own thread, linked at the top of the OP, and right here. Do yourself a favor and mute the chat dear god.

Mount and Blade: Bannerlord is the sequel to Mount and Blade: Warband, which itself is the Enhanced Edition of the original Mount and Blade. It's primarily a single-player RPG + medieval battlefield sim but the multiplayer has real Sword Game feels. It has its own thread here, but you can talk about the multiplayer in here if you want, I won't mind. This will probably become more relevant to this thread when CRPG comes out, to be honest.

hey wait a minute...

yeah but I like it and it doesn't have another home so we're putting it in here. For Honor is a low-fantasy martial combat game put out by Ubisoft a few years back and has held a pretty decent player base and received steady updates in the years since. It's third-person, has a lock-on system, and its primary game mode operates more like a MOBA than the usual objective-based open field (though there's a game mode like that), but it shares a lot of DNA with other sword games like skill-based gameplay and intense, personal combat. Outside of the Deadliest Warrior expansion for the original Chivalry (RIP) it has the biggest variety of all of these games too when it comes to Sword Mans, with 27 different (often wildly so) highly customizable "Heroes" spread across four factions (Knights, Vikings + A Scottish Guy, Samurai, China).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJ_sYrQ5Gs

Hellish Quart is an eastern-european highly lethal Bushi Blade-style fighting game that I couldn't find a bigger banner image for and also has a really good pun name. Closer to a more traditional Fighting Game than a true Sword Game, I'm still putting it here because it doesn't seem to have its own home yet either.

yo what's up with all these...

this was an important and highly discussed thread topic in the Mordhau thread, and will very likely be brought up in this thread, so I figured I'd make a quick note about it here.

Mordhau, unfortunately, kind of gave the genre a bad reputation when it comes to diversity and representation due to two main factors:

1) it was the only Sword Game anyone gave a poo poo about for multiple years; there were contenders but they sucked (Of Kings and Men lol)
2) the developers may not have intentionally tried to court dumb racists to their game, but they absolutely did end up doing that in the end anyway

The dev's absolute refusal to add any skin tones darker than "Potentially Mediterranean" even after several years of development time and the strange length of time (months?) it took to include a word filter and start punishing people for being shitheads (which they still only do sometimes) didn't saddle well with the genre's general ties to European Knights and Nobility and the game's plagued with them now. Mordhau's a great game with a ton of good ideas, and I think as a whole it was good for the genre, even if only to keep it alive for a while longer, but it's hard to downplay just how toxic the player base can be these days.

Thankfully, Chivalry 2 seems to be taking a step in the right direction with a greater focus on keeping communities from becoming cesspits, more frequent community interaction and discussion, and including things like being able to play as POC or women. Being able to actually report people if they're being racist is going to be useful too.

Likely this is because the devs seems to give a poo poo, and it's also now a much higher profile release and you just can't get away with some things when you're taking publisher money as opposed to kickstarter money.

Anyway thank you for coming to my TED talk, I must go, it seems the peasants have risen up and found swords.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Jun 2, 2021

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
Should also mention Hellish Quart here as it's about the closest anyone will get to a modern day Bushido Blade. Also has actual ye olde swordsmanship people working on the game, with one ingame sabre being able to purchase and use for fencing IRL, even. No inbuilt online play, though.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Nice, I forgot Hellish Quart, I'm definitely adding that. 2nd post is gonna be about other sword games that aren't The Big One and sword-game related games like For Honor and now HQ, working on that post right now

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Yeah I played a bit of the Chivalry 2 demo the other day. It was reasonably fun although I wasn't great at it, especially in certain scenarios. Some events I was over .500 but others I was just getting killed constantly.

Most of the gameplay seems like trying to find an unaware enemy to gang up on and get a cheap shot in or sneak up behind. I won a couple straight fights but good players just kind of spin around you so it's so hard to get a hit on them or see when they are swinging to block.. I also thought that after getting a good block you would be able to get a hit on on the enemy but I didn't find that to be the case in practice?

I probably won't buy the game but it really is pretty fun. I just don't play a lot of pvp, it's stressful and occasionally embarrassing when I get owned by a pack of 12 year olds or whatever. But I was impressed at the quality of the experience, at least, it's already a pretty polished and well-conceived game

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I missed the beta due to IRL poo poo but I watched a bunch of people play it, seems tight. Will probably end up getting it, especially at 40 bucks.

let me know if there's any more Sword Games that are current and don't have homes, I'll add them to the OP. And let me know if you got any cool or funny Chiv 2 videos or memes or whatever to put in the OP

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I played the first beta but not the second. Any big changes?

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

New people looking in at this for the first time.

Mordhau is the most racist game I have played in years, the community is full of insufferable jackasses and the devs ignored the issue for ages. All you can (and should) do is mute chat. Also, while it may seem fun initially, the ability to eternally feint and do so incredibly quickly means there is a skill ceiling too high for some people to ever reach. There are some people you will simply never kill and you will run into them often.

Luckily, Chivalry 2 does not have the same issues with feinting and it has the common decency to censur most slurs. Also, it has much better voice commands and in the end that is obviously the most important thing.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

I love a lot of the Mordhau lines but nothing beats the original Chiv shouts, which conveniently you can pick up in Chiv 2!

and yeah I don't think I'd feel like I had to add a note to the second OP about mordhau if it wasn't so bad. It's proof that you can't ignore a problem like that until it goes away, really. Muting the chat is a really good idea, in fact I'll add that to mordhau's entry. There's something to be said about how funny it is causing a dude so much anguish they start shouting racial slurs at you, because it's really goddamn funny, but it's much less so when that guy not only doesn't get punished but actually gets a bunch of the rest of the server shouting those slurs too lol.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

megane posted:

I played the first beta but not the second. Any big changes?

The core gameplay stayed pretty much the same, they mostly just showcased some additional features. It had a couple more maps (especially objective-based ones) and visual customization. One nice thing was that they opened up a separate playlist for smaller 40-player servers, rather than the default 64 player ones. Those generally felt quite a bit more manageable.

Chuds McGreedy
Aug 26, 2007

Jumanji

Play posted:

good players just kind of spin around you so it's so hard to get a hit on them or see when they are swinging to block.. I also thought that after getting a good block you would be able to get a hit on on the enemy but I didn't find that to be the case in practice?

My best advice to anyone new to Chivalry is to play in third person mode.

You can see what’s going on around you more, it’s easier to see opposing swings coming at you, and you can see your own swing and know how to twist your body to make it connect early, or late, and mess people up.

Chuds McGreedy fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jun 2, 2021

Diogines
Dec 22, 2007

Beaky the Tortoise says, click here to join our choose Your Own Adventure Game!

Paradise Lost: Clash of the Heavens!

Babe Magnet posted:

I love a lot of the Mordhau lines but nothing beats the original Chiv shouts, which conveniently you can pick up in Chiv 2!

and yeah I don't think I'd feel like I had to add a note to the second OP about mordhau if it wasn't so bad. It's proof that you can't ignore a problem like that until it goes away, really. Muting the chat is a really good idea, in fact I'll add that to mordhau's entry. There's something to be said about how funny it is causing a dude so much anguish they start shouting racial slurs at you, because it's really goddamn funny, but it's much less so when that guy not only doesn't get punished but actually gets a bunch of the rest of the server shouting those slurs too lol.
Mordhau is my favorite game that I don't play. It makes me upset how much I enjoy it and can't play it because of the utter assholes who inhabit it. I don't want to mute chat myself, I want to sometimes talk with people, if I get killed or kill someone in a particularly amazing or hilarious way I want to talk about it, but I can't without sharing the chat with literal nazis, so the game is just not for me.

[...]

Unrelated, has anyone found hard #s on weapon stats for Chivalry 2?

Diogines fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Jun 2, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Yeah that last bit is how I feel too, I don't like muting chat because you do get people who'll legitimately engage with you and the game, but it feels like a minefield sometimes. When I picture Mordhau I think "drat, shame what happened" and disappointment with the devs more than anything. I'm not happy to be done playing it, I'm sad that I can't enjoy it much anymore lol

Going to miss being a Lute Lord or the multiple different filthy peasant weapons and builds.

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 2, 2021

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Someone in the chiv 2 beta called me "IDIOT(N-WORD)GAMER" and I was pleasantly surprised that the entire server made fun of them and a bunch of people said "report this dude lmao"

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Babe Magnet posted:

Going to miss being a Lute Lord or the multiple different filthy peasant weapons and builds.

Chivalry needs lutes.

Also a castle map that takes you to a banquet hall and you can pick up hundreds of food items to throw.

The game is so much fun. I'm itching to play again, put in like 18 hours during last beta!

Mordhau was great to play for a bit but the crazy skill ceiling and of course, the Nazis, made it hard to continue for long. I hope the community stays cool (and i don't see why not, Nazis love staying in their toxic echo chambers) and the game gets ton of new content in the future.

The new content is already a WiP as shown on their Roadmap so that one looks like a given.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

adding that to the OP

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
How do you get a bow and arrow in Chivalry 2? Maybe that's more my speed, cherry picking dudes from far away until someone gets to me and ends my bullshit

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
neat

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

BurningCourage posted:

Should also mention Hellish Quart here as it's about the closest anyone will get to a modern day Bushido Blade. Also has actual ye olde swordsmanship people working on the game, with one ingame sabre being able to purchase and use for fencing IRL, even. No inbuilt online play, though.

Oh poo poo thank you for this. The rapier bladework looks great to my sport-fencing eye and I remember loving bushido blade back in the day

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Might as well christen this thread with a classic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1B9sHBbyhs

Early Chiv1 was a magical time.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any word on if theres gonna be a preload for chiv 2?

I'm going to shovel so many people next week. Maybe even some of them will be caught in my bear trap first :getin:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

I'm going to shovel so many people next week. Maybe even some of them will be caught in my bear trap first :getin:

Yeah I just unlocked the subclass that gets those. I loved the shovel and frying pan in Mordhau so it should be a natural shift for me.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
There was a pre-load for the open beta, so there's almost certainly going to be a pre-load for the game itself.

UltraShame
Nov 6, 2006

Vocabulum.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

Mordhau was great to play for a bit but the crazy skill ceiling and of course, the Nazis, made it hard to continue for long. I hope the community stays cool (and i don't see why not, Nazis love staying in their toxic echo chambers) and the game gets ton of new content in the future.

Chivalry 2: Not infested with Neo-Nazis! (yet)

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Chivalry 2 already has the option to play as a woman or POC, which hopefully should keep the the chuds playing Mordhau.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Or it'll give 'em a target, we'll see. The big thing will be if the devs give a poo poo, that was Mordhau's problem. Took months to get a chat filter or the ability to hide it, and reporting people is a pain in the rear end to this day.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me
Has there been any word about an SDK for Chiv 2? I feel like a lot of Mordhau's future depends on how good theirs is and how soon they can get it out. I feel like they've been putting out new stuff pretty slowly this year so I'm hoping it's because they've been working on mod tools.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Here's a game to add and not because it was dropped by the developer because they were too busy making their other game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJBYsv3sGAI

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

adding this video to the OP

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PJp24-4u4Y

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

lol the preload on pc for chiv 2 is only half an hour before the game goes live. Consoles can preload today

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
"Skirmisher can dual wield throwing knives and a sword?"
*Skirmisher punches someone with their knife hand*
:black101:

Also something to keep in mind for the archer haters/enthusiasts. Their other video mentioned in passing they were having trouble switching to melee as an archer without dying because it took something like "Three seconds at least" to pull out their knife. Probably not archer bias as they felt weapon switching on every class was slower now.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Jun 7, 2021

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013

Babe Magnet posted:

Or it'll give 'em a target, we'll see. The big thing will be if the devs give a poo poo, that was Mordhau's problem. Took months to get a chat filter or the ability to hide it, and reporting people is a pain in the rear end to this day.

The mordhau devs didn't just not give a poo poo, they encouraged it. Early on at least there was a stickied thread in the official forums that was titled "show of your kni**ers" or something similar to that.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah the old-rear end "kniggas" 4chan meme, talking about each other's Knight styles as if everyone was roleplaying a Boondocks pastiche character or whatever. Not as directly hateful as the actual in-game's chat at least, but it was still a bunch of aggro white dudes spamming the n word because they think it's funny and not the same word now that they added a K in the front, so still very stupid and tasteless and not a great look on the dev's part lol

ironic even, since you can't even make your knight black

Section Z posted:

"Skirmisher can dual wield throwing knives and a sword?"
*Skirmisher punches someone with their knife hand*
:black101:

Also something to keep in mind for the archer haters/enthusiasts. Their other video mentioned in passing they were having trouble switching to melee as an archer without dying because it took something like "Three seconds at least" to pull out their knife. Probably not archer bias as they felt weapon switching on every class was slower now.

I'm going to play a crossbowman and use the pavise to block doorways, and no one can stop me

Babe Magnet fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 7, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

lol the preload on pc for chiv 2 is only half an hour before the game goes live. Consoles can preload today

lol thanks epic

special edition had this sweet-rear end jousting armor. I love a good Frogmouth.

I hope we get something silly like Deadliest Warrior 2 or whatever, eventually.

sum
Nov 15, 2010

Hellish Quart loving rules. Can't wait until they add real online multiplayer.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

absolutely, been waiting for a real-rear end Bushido Blade for years

boz
Oct 16, 2005

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

Which class/subclass gets the shovel? Having trouble on google finding it.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

boz posted:

The first three random shovel videos I googled, they have the health kit power icon which SEEMS to be a poleman gimmick? So it seems to be the new Man at arms style subclass, the Poleman, who gets the shovel?

Or dare we hope, a global option to any subclass allowed to wield a two handed weapon?

Along those lines, I wonder if their polehammer will be as cool as the Chiv 1 Vanguard polehammer. Or if it will be weaker in their hands for "Not the big swings big damage Vanguard using it" reasons.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 06:24 on Jun 7, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

boz posted:

The Footman has an Engineer subclass that gets it. They can choose from between a big old mallet or the shovel. Their main gimmick is being able to construct spikes and barricades, and doing extra damage to enemy structures as well. Which can be surprisingly useful in some of the objective-based maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megafunk
Oct 19, 2010

YEAH!
I think chiv 2 just doesn't feel as "solid" as Mordhau does. Every movement is jerky and hit detection feels awful. That said, I love how it focusses on big battles first instead of trying to be a dueling game. I'll miss being able to 1v3 newbies though.