Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Every Stuart Gordon movie requires checking out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Kvlt! posted:

Don't disagree, I only think I'm missing a few.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Wonderful Ice Cream Suit is the only Gordon I haven't seen

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Been off of horror flicks for a while (went through the Criterion's Japanese noire collection) I really like the first conjuring, the second a little less so. The third one is...fine. I liked the final sequence, and I like Wilson and Farmiga. What I don't love is exploiting one of Warren's sleazier cases. And even if you absolutely buy the warren's version of events "based on" is doing a lot of work. Glad I watched it on HBO max.

Also finally got to Psycho Goreman which was an absolute blast

Spazzle
Jul 5, 2003

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I remember it being completely terrible apart from a fantastic performance by Charles Dance (but who would expect anything else from the man?)

Space truckers is peak cinema.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Just rewatched Predators (2010), where the most dangerous human predators like a pretty IDF sniper, Cartel enforcer and Air Cav jumper fight predators and thinking about Mean Girl's Regina George, ultimate *social* predator, added to the mix.

"How many of you Yakuza assassins and Boko Haram warlords have felt personally victimized by Regina George?"

*hands slowly go up until every hand is raised*

<beat>

*a Predator's hand goes up in the background*

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

Space Truckers is a really bizarre film because it doesn't really look cheap well except for a few parts of regrettable CGI. Dennis Hopper is really good in it. The sets and everything are really well done and there' legit some cool moments during it.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Shrecknet posted:

Just rewatched Predators (2010), where the most dangerous human predators like a pretty IDF sniper, Cartel enforcer and Air Cav jumper fight predators and thinking about Mean Girl's Regina George, ultimate *social* predator, added to the mix.

"How many of you Yakuza assassins and Boko Haram warlords have felt personally victimized by Regina George?"

*hands slowly go up until every hand is raised*

<beat>

*a Predator's hand goes up in the background*

Regina George would absolutely be on team Topher Grace. "I'm one of youuuu!"

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed was pretty good. I felt like the ending dragged it down a little. Way, way bleaker than the first with some genuinely disturbing parts (not in a “fun” way). I give it a lot of points for not making the same movie again and also not dragging us down with pointless exposition - who is the other werewolf? What is its backstory with Bridget? Who cares! The werewolf was both a bit better looking this time as well as concealed more.

Not as good as the first, but compared to the abysmal standard for sequels set by the American Werewolf & Howling series this was a revelation.

Come to think of it - is this the only werewolf series with sequels worth a drat?!

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Lon Chaney Jr's Larry Talbot is in a bunch of films and he's always worth a drat.

Howling II is... ok?

The Underworld series?

Uhh... Teen Wolf Too?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

STAC Goat posted:

Lon Chaney Jr's Larry Talbot is in a bunch of films and he's always worth a drat.

Howling II is... ok?

The Underworld series?

Uhh... Teen Wolf Too?

I totally forgot about the Universal movies. I don’t think I’ve seen any of the Wolfman sequels but I bet there’s like a dozen and I’m sure at least one of them is fine.

The rest of them…

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein is a classic. Frankenstein Meets The Wolf Man, House of Dracula, and House of Frankenstein are kinda bad but historic and Chaney's easily the highlight. At least worth seeing once.

And I personally consider Spider Baby a secret Larry Talbot sequel. And its real fun.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

david_a posted:

Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed was pretty good. I felt like the ending dragged it down a little. Way, way bleaker than the first with some genuinely disturbing parts (not in a “fun” way). I give it a lot of points for not making the same movie again and also not dragging us down with pointless exposition - who is the other werewolf? What is its backstory with Bridget? Who cares! The werewolf was both a bit better looking this time as well as concealed more.

Not as good as the first, but compared to the abysmal standard for sequels set by the American Werewolf & Howling series this was a revelation.

Come to think of it - is this the only werewolf series with sequels worth a drat?!

The Howling 2 is loving awesome sequel. All the rest of the sequels are dire but The Howling 2 is amazing.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Reb Brown movies are practically a genre onto themselves; that’s cheating
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0GmwraytVM

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Benito Cereno posted:

I’ve been seeing the poster for this at the theater for the last few weeks and it piqued my interest, but I finally saw the trailer for it in front of the Conjuring today. Looks pretty sick

https://youtu.be/40ub6aBk4fo

Architectural horror and surreal dread? Sign me the gently caress up.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Kvlt! posted:

Except The Pit and the Pendulum, which is utter garbage.

Does anyone know why Gordon retired at 60? And can anyone actually imagine Stuart Gordon's Aquaman?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Jedit posted:

Does anyone know why Gordon retired at 60? And can anyone actually imagine Stuart Gordon's Aquaman?

he had a really bad heart condition. when he was working on Honey I Shrunk The Kids his doctor told him the stress from working with disney execs was going to kill him before the movie was done. i imagine he stopped making films early related to that.

in unrelated news, my strong son has finally arrived from ebay:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Jedit posted:

I actually really like Stuart Gordon's The Pit and the Pendulum. It's been my favorite adaptation of that story that I've seen.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

juggalo baby coffin posted:

he had a really bad heart condition. when he was working on Honey I Shrunk The Kids his doctor told him the stress from working with disney execs was going to kill him before the movie was done. i imagine he stopped making films early related to that.

That sucks.

Anyway - shooting on Evil Dead Rise has begun. No Ash, but Campbell and Raimi are on board as exprods at least.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Has anyone even heard about this movie?? Bruce Macdonald, Juliette Lewis, and Henry Rollins?

quote:

On the night of the strangest weddings in cinema history, a grotesque gang boss hires a stone-cold killer to bring him the finger of a fading, drug-addicted jazz legend.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Franchescanado posted:

I actually really like Stuart Gordon's The Pit and the Pendulum. It's been my favorite adaptation of that story that I've seen.

yeah The Pit and the Pendulum is great, it's Gordon doing his version of a Corman Poe movie but super bleak and extraordinarily violent. two screwed thumbs up.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I watched A Quiet Place Part II this weekend (in theaters!!!) and it was fine.

Didn't really break any new ground from the first movie, it felt like it was playing it mostly safe and just using the same characters to explore a bit more of the outside world. There's stuff I liked for sure, and Cillian Murphy was really good in it, but it didn't really stick with me much after I left the theater.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

STAC Goat posted:

The Underworld series?
I've seen every Underworld movie, and I wouldn't describe any of them as worth a drat. I'm continually amazed that Blade didn't inspire more movies that were actually good. (I mean, you could say that The Dark Knight would be impossible without Blade, but I mean low-to-mid-budget, action horror movies by someone who knows how to shoot and edit.)

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 7, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

The Underworld movies are good B Movie fodder.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Every time I've tried to watch an Underworld movie I've found myself wishing I'd put Blade on instead, or even one of the Blade sequels.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Hollismason posted:

The Underworld movies are good B Movie fodder.

i didn't have high expectations but i tapped out when they cast Derek Jacobi as a central figure in the lore and then killed him off after a few minutes of total screen time

what a waste

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

flashy_mcflash posted:

Has anyone even heard about this movie?? Bruce Macdonald, Juliette Lewis, and Henry Rollins?

I haven't, but I'd give it a shot. It's on Amazon Prime, so I added to my watchlist for whenever.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Which series is worse, Underworld or Resident Evil

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I can at least remember individual Resident Evil movies, and sometimes the cinematography is not bad. The Underworld movies all run together and it's all badly shot with a blue filter over everything.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I watched Underworld: Rise of the Lycans having not seen any of the other films. It was a solid way to kill an evening with a pal and some booze, even if it probably wasn't "good." I'm a sucker for monsters and period horror and fantasy, though.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!
https://twitter.com/teamsmithy/status/1401940055401373702

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

yeah The Pit and the Pendulum is great, it's Gordon doing his version of a Corman Poe movie but super bleak and extraordinarily violent. two screwed thumbs up.

I don't think we're talking about the same movie here, unless you find something especially bleak about a comedy witch burning lifted from Terry Pratchett.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I unironically like all of the Underworld and Resident Evil movies. They are exactly my kind of trash cinema.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

I want to live in this reality.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm a fan of Stuart Gordon's Pit in the Pendulum. Its got Lance Henriksen and Jeffrey Combs in it.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
This weekend's movies:

The Wolfman (2010): lol
Not great but I am always here to watch Anthony Hopkins chew the scenery. My wife thinks Benicio Del Toro has one expression and she laughed her rear end off when he looked shocked at one point and I held up two fingers. Now I want to see the Lon Chaney Jr version. (Kind of like how the Brendan Fraser Mummy is a firm 90s adventure classic but the Karloff one has a real gravitas and sadness to it)

Unfriended: Teens being annoying and awful to eachother and getting murked for it has its place, but we didn't like this one v much.

The Hole In The Ground: mixing the Creepy Kid and the Weird poo poo In The Woods genre, both of which we tend to like. I enjoyed it.

Wishmaster: we took like an hour break at the start of the movie cause we must have eaten something Friday night that didn't agree with us, and couldn't get back into it. I thought it looked like really great 90s cheese, she's not as into that so I might finish it myself.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Having watched Resident Evil for the May challenge I can now confirm I am NOT a fan. I haven't seen Underworld but I've seen one of the sequels and it was hot garbage. These are not my kind of movies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I feel like Underworld and Resident Evil are equally lovely in the visual department, so it really just comes down to which general aesthetic you prefer(i.e. if you're into the whole goth thing then you'll be more forgiving of Underworld) and whether you like werewolves or zombies more.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I know there's little to no chance of it ever happening, but I'd love to see the first cut/workprint of Wolfman just to see if there was a more interesting film there before the studio interference. There's enough good about that movie that its badness really stings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jedit posted:

I don't think we're talking about the same movie here, unless you find something especially bleak about a comedy witch burning lifted from Terry Pratchett.

i mean the pretty much endless scenes of torture and sexual humiliation are what i was referring to. there's some comedy there too though, this being a Stuart Gordon movie.