Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Khizan posted:

How easy to use is Apple’s keychain password manager?

I use 1Password myself and I am happy with it, but I cry inside when I think of teaching my mother to use it. She uses a iPad and iPhone for everything, though, so if it’s secure and easy I may try to set her up on that. I am very tired of having to dig a paper password list out of her safe every time I have to do tech support for her.

It’s completely transparent as long as you’re using Safari and all Apple stuff. It’s more hit or miss with third party apps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

It’s completely transparent as long as you’re using Safari and all Apple stuff. It’s more hit or miss with third party apps.

Fwiw there is a chrome plugin for it now.

It works great and unless you need more advanced features there is very little reason to pay for a password manager.

Edit also a lot of the 1Password advanced features are not in the iOS app which for me makes it less than ideal and I’m probably going to drop my subscription in the next few since keychain does everything I need.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

MarcusSA posted:

It works great and unless you need more advanced features there is very little reason to pay for a password manager.

Edit also a lot of the 1Password advanced features are not in the iOS app which for me makes it less than ideal and I’m probably going to drop my subscription in the next few since keychain does everything I need.

Wait a chrome plug in for iCloud passwords? Tell, me more I NEED that.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Khizan posted:

How easy to use is Apple’s keychain password manager?

I use 1Password myself and I am happy with it, but I cry inside when I think of teaching my mother to use it. She uses a iPad and iPhone for everything, though, so if it’s secure and easy I may try to set her up on that. I am very tired of having to dig a paper password list out of her safe every time I have to do tech support for her.

I use both 1password and keychain (basically as an augment to 1passowrd). I think Keychain works great and is secure, it’s def just only going to work perfectly on Apple. Also, you still gotta make sure she knows her Apple password.

MarcusSA posted:

Just curious, what features are missing on the iOS app ?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ultimate Mango posted:

Wait a chrome plug in for iCloud passwords? Tell, me more I NEED that.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-passwords/pejdijmoenmkgeppbflobdenhhabjlaj?hl=en

Duckman2008 posted:

Just curious, what features are missing on the iOS app ?

OTP stuff and virtual credit card things. I think there are a few other things that people mentioned that aren’t in the app but those are the two off hand I know for sure weren’t in the app at least a month ago when it was brought up.

I was looking for a good reason to keep using 1Password but for me keychain does everything I need and the things 1Password does aren’t explained that well so I probably wouldn’t use them.

stirlo
Aug 12, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/icloud-passwords/pejdijmoenmkgeppbflobdenhhabjlaj?hl=en
OTP stuff and virtual credit card things. I think there are a few other things that people mentioned that aren’t in the app but those are the two off hand I know for sure weren’t in the app at least a month ago when it was brought up.

The one-time password feature definitely exists; might be non-intuitive;; go into a password or saved note, click the QR code looking glyph near the other passwords …

Not sure about the virtual cards though

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

stirlo posted:

The one-time password feature definitely exists; might be non-intuitive;; go into a password or saved note, click the QR code looking glyph near the other passwords …

Not sure about the virtual cards though

OK I'm just not seeing that on the iOS app. I must be just missing it but its kinda what I mean when they don't put some of the more advanced features out there so people know about them.

I had no idea it was even a thing till someone in the iPhone thread pointed it out TBH.

1Password is good don't get me wrong but for 99% of users Keychain does a fantastic job.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I’m going to stick with 1Password because I mostly use a pc and an Android phone, but I think I’ll set up Keychain for my mother. She doesn’t have a problem remembering passwords that get used fairly often, so it should work out fine for her. Thanks for the responses.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

I was looking for a good reason to keep using 1Password but for me keychain does everything I need and the things 1Password does aren’t explained that well so I probably wouldn’t use them.

Yeah this makes sense. I’ll be using 1password because despite a few flaws it’s still good, and also it’s absolutely better on if you are sharing passwords than keychain (as in, works great for my wife and myself).

1password seems decent at updating features, so hopefully they close the gap.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

is there a way to disable skip intro and autoplay in apple tv plus?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Does Apple take trade in for their keyboard cases? Out of curiosity I checked to see how much they would give me for my 2018 iPad Pro but then I’d also “need” to buy a new Smart Keyboard folio.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

Does Apple take trade in for their keyboard cases? Out of curiosity I checked to see how much they would give me for my 2018 iPad Pro but then I’d also “need” to buy a new Smart Keyboard folio.

I’m using the ‘18 Smart Keyboard and it works just fine if you’re ok with it bumping around the camera (and not actually using the camera)

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

I’m using the ‘18 Smart Keyboard and it works just fine if you’re ok with it bumping around the camera (and not actually using the camera)

I don’t care about the cameras but won’t the camera bump not fit? The 2018 case I have has a rectangular camera bump cutout and the M1 iPads have a square.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Every day I F5 to see if 1tb 12.9" ipads are in an Apple store within driving distance to me. I gotta stop this. :f5:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t care about the cameras but won’t the camera bump not fit? The 2018 case I have has a rectangular camera bump cutout and the M1 iPads have a square.

Correct that’s what I meant with it bumping around the camera.

The magnets hold it in place real well and the connection / keyboard works just fine. It’s just not flush on that corner.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Correct that’s what I meant with it bumping around the camera.

The magnets hold it in place real well and the connection / keyboard works just fine. It’s just not flush on that corner.

Not that you will but don’t try and cut the hole bigger lol. I’ve read a few people that have tried and it does not come out well at all.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
If I transfer ebooks to the books app on my Mac is there a way to sync that to my iPad without using up iCloud space?

Needs to be wireless as I don’t have a USB C to lightning cable.

I don’t need to access them via the cloud though.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

It’s going to be immensely easier to just use the cloud.

Ebooks don’t really take that much space.

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
So they're turning Swift Playgrounds into a mini-Xcode that's usable for the full app workflow, including submitting it to the App Store.

I wasn't expecting them to actually do it, but they did.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

They’re also introducing a continuous integration platform (“Xcode Cloud”) for macOS and it’s probably just a matter of time before they add it to iPadOS.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Full screen, Slide Over, Split View are still our multitasking options, with a new tab to control them. Maybe next year...

Still excited my new 12.9 finally shipped, but still disappointing.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

M1 powered desktop apps... :negative:

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

ijyt posted:

M1 powered desktop apps... :negative:

Big fail on this reveal.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big fail on this reveal.

iPadOS 15: WIDGETS MOTHERFUCKER!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The sample image with the giant widgets taking up half the screen and tiny little iphone sized icons poorly filling the gaps cracks me up.

Yes you can make the icons bigger in settings, but the enormous gaps don't shrink so it's still like a handful of peas rolling around in a box.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big fail on this reveal.

yeah, you’ve got MaxTech with a video basically encouraging people to return their new iPads Pro if they still have time, what an incredibly disheartening showing—and most importantly it’s a signal that Apple would rather force the lines apart in awkward ways than let them come to a natural synergy. It feels like they’re deliberately sandbagging natural and expected functionality improvements, adding features and interoperability but then making them work in weird and convoluted ways

Starting to think that Microsoft had the right idea about ‘tablet vs desktop’ despite the ongoing Windows-ism and years of teething pains

Alternatively, maybe the iPad OS/apps people majorly beefed some deadlines internally and Apple wasn’t comfortable simply sharing what they were hoping to ship at a future date. But as it stands right now, iPad OS 15 is a frankly baffling followup a month after an M1 iPad drops

Butt Savage
Aug 23, 2007
Apple seems to have this horrible fear of letting apps run in windows on the iPad. You can already do it on M1 Macs. Just accept the fact that the old way of running iPad apps as glorified iPhone apps does not work when you’re trying to push these loving amazing tablets that I’d love to replace my laptop with as the future of computing.

They are seriously so loving close to Jobs’ vision of computing devices behaving like appliances and they’re capping themselves in the foot because they think running a windowed iPadOS will complicate things.

Just having the option of using it in landscape mode and the Home Screen adjusting accordingly insinuates that you can now use your tablet as a laptop. But you can’t. Because multitasking is a confusing mess even for tech savvy people.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

iPadOS for iPad and Air, iPadOS Pro for Pro's. That's the most Apple solution to this I can imagine.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

yeah, you’ve got MaxTech with a video basically encouraging people to return their new iPads Pro if they still have time, what an incredibly disheartening showing—and most importantly it’s a signal that Apple would rather force the lines apart in awkward ways than let them come to a natural synergy. It feels like they’re deliberately sandbagging natural and expected functionality improvements, adding features and interoperability but then making them work in weird and convoluted ways

Starting to think that Microsoft had the right idea about ‘tablet vs desktop’ despite the ongoing Windows-ism and years of teething pains

Alternatively, maybe the iPad OS/apps people majorly beefed some deadlines internally and Apple wasn’t comfortable simply sharing what they were hoping to ship at a future date. But as it stands right now, iPad OS 15 is a frankly baffling followup a month after an M1 iPad drops

If the trade in process wasn’t already half way through I’d consider it. The 2018 still was really drat fast for everything I used it for. I was hoping the M1 to be the precursor to them doing more with the drat thing but if they are they sure as hell aren’t doing it this year.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

ijyt posted:

iPadOS for iPad and Air, iPadOS Pro for Pro's. That's the most Apple solution to this I can imagine.

Put some scary mindmeld of OSX+iPadOS on the Pro, rename it to iMac Mini Pro.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

Ok Comboomer posted:

problem is the surface pro is both a dogshit tablet and dogshit laptop

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

sleepwalkers posted:

yeah but it has more of a future than the iPad does

and given that Qualcomm just dropped a massive chunk of money to pick up Nuvia—and a bunch of Apple’s ex-big chip guys—apparently with Microsoft’s strong support, I’m not sure that Apple can rest on their silicon advantage laurels long term

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

It really isnt

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

sourdough posted:

It really isnt

as someone who’s used a pro, book, and pro x at various points, i do not see how anyone can argue win10 is a good tablet OS, it’s pretty rough for anything that isn’t driven by keyboard + mouse
and even then, the pro at least has a massive footprint in laptop mode for its size, it’s essentially unusable on a plane or a lap.

sleepwalkers fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Jun 8, 2021

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer
The Surface Pro (when I had one) was a pretty good laptop but terrible tablet.

I really wanted to like it but it just suffered from trying to be a touch based tablet with a Mouse and Keyboard centric UI.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

Grimey Drawer

sourdough posted:

It really isnt

Counter point : it runs windows, and gently caress that.

The new multitasking for iPads for ios 15 seems like an improvement, but I agree that apple is basically forcing it because they want the iPad and Mac lines separate.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I have a Surface Pro 4 and the Surface Pro Laptop ( I think from the same gen) from work. They're dogshit. I only use them when I have to use a windows box for something at home like testing poo poo. I think the newer models have better battery life and decent specs but the design itself is poo poo.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012

sleepwalkers posted:

as someone who’s used a pro, book, and pro x at various points, i do not see how anyone can argue win10 is a good tablet OS, it’s pretty rough for anything that isn’t driven by keyboard + mouse
and even then, the pro at least has a massive footprint in laptop mode for its size, it’s essentially unusable on a plane or a lap.

It's an ok laptop and an ok tablet. If I only got to have one thing, I'd rather get a surface pro than either just an ipad or just a laptop. Working on stuff on a laptop is a million times better than on an iPad, and reading or watching stuff is usually nicer on a tablet. Of course I'd rather get a separate tablet and a laptop, but that doesn't make the surface dogshit lol

Luceo
Apr 29, 2003

As predicted in the Bible. :cheers:

sleepwalkers posted:

According to this thread, no laptop I've ever owned has been usable on a plane, but I've used them all on planes :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

Ok Comboomer posted:

I'm hoping this is the 'rona effect, but my brain says Apple will never un-gimp iPads until high end iPads or low end Macbooks take enough of a sales hit. I doubt the company behind Multitouch can't figure out a way to makes apps windowed.

If I hadn't already sold my 2018 I'd be in the Cancel It group too, but as things are now I'll end up using my M1 for Air 2 (Which is still getting iPadOS 15) lengths of time since aside from OLED (with the accompanying price bump) what's missing hardware wise?