Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
After a solid two weeks of Snout feeling sorry for himself and literally 0 pages on the fallout from corpsemom learning that she's a danger to herself and everything around her it's nice that Arudak's just come out and said that Snout's feelings are more important.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012

oriongates posted:

They haven't even bothered to translate the note he handed snout, the one that was, presumably, actually insulting. Because the stuff Snout actually read was not worth this much moping. It was definitely rude...but none of it was actually insulting: it was just a list of the supernatural or significant abilities that snout doesn't have...that most people don't have, for that matter. All beard-orc actually said was "Snout has no superhuman abilities, cannot dig underground, cannot use magic and cannot fly." This is true of almost everyone! It was phrased in a condescending manner but none of it is actually claiming that Snout is deficient in any way. He didn't claim that snout was stupid, or clumsy or weak...he didn't even harp on Snout's actual disabilities.

He did harp on his disabilties, by saying that a deaf and mute person like him shouldn't have survived to adulthood in the Wild Edge. He then implied Snout's continued survival would only come from the charity of stronger people, which sounds like he's referring to more than just Arudak/IW's magical powers. As poorly handled as Snout's deafness has been, the ableist and outright eugenic implications of Daxethar's write-up are still there. Snout being shaken up by this is understandable.

The issue is that it ends up being wrapped up in a greater narrative where as soon as Snout (or Dominic or Greg or any honorary Deegan) feels even a bit sad or helpless, all the Good Guys and the plot itself immediately bend backwards to fluff his ego. Meanwhile the Bad Guy has to double down and dig into some bigotry solely to prove his badness, just like the Star Power gangster suddenly dropped some transphobia and Siegfried supported orc lynchings because readers were starting to like them too much.

That, and the pace of Legacy is glacial. Even if Snout's need for some time alone is justifiable, it ends up becoming yet another example of padding the comic out with filler landscapes that don't really establish anything. Everything from Daxethar's departure to now could've been done in half the strips, maybe a third. Why couldn't Arudak apologize/explain earlier, so that Snout would know exactly where his friends stand on this issue? Now that I think of it, why did no one think to check on Snout in the past, oh, 8-12 hours? The library scene presumably happened over the entire morning, and Snout left during the daytime and didn't come back until after nightfall. No one thought it was worrying that he skipped dinner, and possibly lunch too?

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
That's the basic issue, isn't it? Not whether or not Snout was wronged, but the way that his feelings are the prime consideration of everyone else in the room, whether to comfort him or to go out of their way to insult him. The bad wizard wrote an entire essay that is nominally just being inconsiderate and callous towards him, rather than being specifically targeted to hurt his feelings, but as the thread asked, why is he writing about a random mongrelfolk to begin with? His report was supposed to be about the vine lady but there's a whole page of it dedicated to the guy who brought her in. Not just his relationship to her and her creation, but judging him specifically. Just so that everyone else can drop everything to judge him for it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The page on Snout wasn't even a full standard page and 12 point font worth of text was it?

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Yeah, I find the orc offputting and unpleasant, but the idea that "it would be better for a person to continue to be a miserable, incommunicative zombie-person lashing out at random and infested with weird shadow vines, than for you to be EVALUATED" really reads like Mookie is just really upset at the idea that anyone would criticize him or Snout at all, would evaluate them instead of recognizing their innate good soft boyness.

DamnitGannet
Apr 8, 2007

i really dont like seeing the genitals of our very child-minded protagonist

MiracleFlare
Mar 27, 2012
I don't even blame the characters for being pissed at Daxethar for going on an unrelated and spiteful tangent or wishing in hindsight they hadn't invited him. Ultimately he didn't even do anything to help Corpsey: Sunflower was the one who did all the work, and Daxethar just infodumped about it, something Sunflower probably could've done themself considering they seemed to recognize she was a vine clone and what to do to help her.

But it really is something that what should have been a major turning point for Corpsey's character, or an introduction into Maltak society and how people like Arudak/Daxethar/Sunflower all interact with each other, gets warped into being a story for Snout and Snout alone.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i figured the conflict with the beard guy would be him being an orc supremacist and what it says about arudak that that's the kinda company he keeps, not him being rude to snout followed by arudak going "if i knew he'd be mean i wouldn't have asked him to help with your friend's life-threatening condition"

then again i'd rather not read terraciano's take on a supremacist from a native-american-coded people so i guess this is preferable

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

I'm glad snout can sleep easy after being told that his feelings are more important than his friend's life, lmao.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

MiracleFlare posted:

He did harp on his disabilties, by saying that a deaf and mute person like him shouldn't have survived to adulthood in the Wild Edge. He then implied Snout's continued survival would only come from the charity of stronger people, which sounds like he's referring to more than just Arudak/IW's magical powers. As poorly handled as Snout's deafness has been, the ableist and outright eugenic implications of Daxethar's write-up are still there. Snout being shaken up by this is understandable.

Weirdly, that part seemed like it was actually intended as a grudging compliment, pointing out that Snout has managed to survive in extreme circumstances despite his disability.

Now, don't get me wrong...it's a horrid thing to say. But I don't think that Mookie thought it was an insult. The same way Snout just takes people grabbing and yanking at his body as just a normal part of communication, not worth getting bothered by.

Of course, he then comes to the extremely weird conclusion that Snout has survived by allying himself with more powerful people...except he just that moment finished saying that Snout has managed to survive by himself, in incredibly dangerous conditions for years. And frankly, Arudak and Ink Witch haven't done poo poo to help Snout survive. Their actions have only ever put him in danger (ink witch especially) and they have never once protected him, even when he was attacked right in front of them by Mhorg.

And then suggests that the safest place for him is somehow the most dangerous wilderness in the world, apparently.

MiracleFlare posted:

I don't even blame the characters for being pissed at Daxethar for going on an unrelated and spiteful tangent or wishing in hindsight they hadn't invited him. Ultimately he didn't even do anything to help Corpsey: Sunflower was the one who did all the work, and Daxethar just infodumped about it, something Sunflower probably could've done themself considering they seemed to recognize she was a vine clone and what to do to help her.

It's extra weird if you think of it outside of the comic's broken approach to continuity of action...

Because they apparently all just stood around while Daxethar went on this bizarre, nonsensical tangent about Snout, making all of these statements that they (presumably) don't agree with about their friend (remember, he's dictating out loud) and then waited while his assistant wrote all of this down on a massive stack of paper and then handed it to Snout to read.

During all of this, no one: Ink Witch, Arudak or even corpsey, chose to speak up in Snout's defense. No one interrupted Arudak. No one even decided to prepare Snout for the sudden change from "discussion of weird plant life" to "oddly vindictive book report on Snout's physique and personality" that was coming as he read the sheath of papers. None of them even prepare their own statement of support to give snout after he finishes reading all of that.

But that's because they're off panel, and therefore temporarily cease to exist.

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
Laughed out loud at the bottom splash of snout. What a bizarre image to end the page on.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Baller Ina posted:

Laughed out loud at the bottom splash of snout. What a bizarre image to end the page on.

"gently caress your bitch friend we should have saved your ego"

[world's worst dick pic]

Billy Gnosis
May 18, 2006

Now is the time for us to gather together and celebrate those things that we like and think are fun.
And of course on twitter, Mookie is retweeting someone who is ranting about GoT being something people only like because it's new but it's really secretly boring and lacks the artistic depth and vision of other medieval fantasy settings and stories.

It's amazing coming from Mookie

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Billy Gnosis posted:

And of course on twitter, Mookie is retweeting someone who is ranting about GoT being something people only like because it's new but it's really secretly boring and lacks the artistic depth and vision of other medieval fantasy settings and stories.

It's amazing coming from Mookie

He found the only person still talking about GoT after Season 8.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
The absolute hard pivot from Plot Development to Just Moping is truly a sight to behold

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think this comic leaked into a dream I had. I was getting a tour of a library ship by its new commander, a woman with a tail like snouts. The tail revealed her feelings; e.g., she confessed to feeling incompetent at the helm and her tail went down.

10/10, would travel down the half mile steps and slides thing to visit the sailing ship library.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Courtesy of the politoons thread:

Brawnfire posted:

What the gently caress I looked at the comic and there's some sort of weird orc/elf guy with his dick out

The only good thing about Legacy is seeing people's reactions when they realize that there is more Deegan and that it's this bad.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

strong contest for new thread title between

Dominic Deegan: some sort of weird orc/elf guy with his dick out

and

Dominic Deegan: What the gently caress I looked at the comic

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

Dabir posted:

Dominic Deegan: What the gently caress I looked at the comic

This one

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Bismuth posted:

This one

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Dabir posted:

Dominic Deegan: some sort of weird orc/elf guy with his dick out

This is perfect.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
Dick still out

BUT more importantly if you go way back to the start of this arc you’ll notice Snout’s in the wrong outfit. His demeaning deaf patch was sewn onto a much more complicated outfit by his ink mom, after which Snout immediately changed into a much less complicated outfit without the patch. Now he’s back in the jumper and it has the patch on it like that middle outfit never existed.

Cloacamazing!
Apr 18, 2018

Too cute to be evil
Going by the expressions in the second to last panel, Arudak's dick is also out.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

He's such a good friend that he didn't even check up on corpse lady after her traumatic day lol

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Why is everyone treating him like a hero when he didn't do anything

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Codependent Poster posted:

He's such a good friend that he didn't even check up on corpse lady after her traumatic day lol

This is actually kind of driving me nuts. I'm not trying to say that the main character's feelings are not important in a story but it's baffling when much more interesting things have happened and the author spends way more pages on, "but my feelings were hurt :c "

Edit: and the book that's been driving what little plot there is for the past year-and-a-half is just PLOPPED RIGHT IN HIS LAP

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 06:47 on Jun 7, 2021

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

I like how a new comic was posted after that dude made his post and yet it's still relevant.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Has anything happened yet?

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

super sweet best pal posted:

Arudak gave Snout a note saying "Gosh we're sorry that guy was mean to you, we would rather have let your friend die if we'd known he would hurt your feelings." Now Snout is happy and Arudak is giving him the book he wanted.

Those are technically things happening, if you mean has anything happened that resembles a plot, then no, there's still none of that.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

super sweet best pal posted:

I don't think you "get" mookies storytelling

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

Happy Landfill posted:

This is actually kind of driving me nuts. I'm not trying to say that the main character's feelings are not important in a story but it's baffling when much more interesting things have happened and the author spends way more pages on, "but my feelings were hurt :c "

Edit: and the book that's been driving what little plot there is for the past year-and-a-half is just PLOPPED RIGHT IN HIS LAP

No, this is the book that they bought back in Mongreltown. It was briefly in limbo after snout got punched and Ink Witch and Arudak vanished with Redactor and Mhorg, but it turned out it was never taken or anything, because Redactor showing up had basically no actual consequences.

The book that Snout has actually been looking for is Dominic Deegan's Intro to Lucid Dreaming...despite this book being exactly the topic they're looking into, it wasn't written by Deegan so it can't be special.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Because he's Mookie.

Arudak's contextually inappropriate bedroom eyes have reappeared, I see.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Rotten Red Rod posted:

No, he was the goodest soft boy, and now his quest item is his reward.

That's how Mookie wants the world to work.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

The thing on Snout's plate looks disturbingly like his own tail.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

TheHan posted:

Dick still out

BUT more importantly if you go way back to the start of this arc you’ll notice Snout’s in the wrong outfit. His demeaning deaf patch was sewn onto a much more complicated outfit by his ink mom, after which Snout immediately changed into a much less complicated outfit without the patch. Now he’s back in the jumper and it has the patch on it like that middle outfit never existed.

He was also given much nicer clothes by Arudak after they arrived at his place and took a bath. There's no reason to go back to the awful patchy overalls. Unless the clothes Arudak gave were just lended for the day which there's no reason to assume they were.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

After reading up a bit on some of the sordid history of Quantic Dream, I've come to a horrifying realization:

Mookie is David Cage without the resources.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

YF-23 posted:

He was also given much nicer clothes by Arudak after they arrived at his place and took a bath. There's no reason to go back to the awful patchy overalls. Unless the clothes Arudak gave were just lended for the day which there's no reason to assume they were.

Especially since he had the deaf patch sewn into one of them. Certainly isn't something you would do with a loaner robe. Of course, he almost immediately changed out of that outfit and into an easier-to-draw tunic. Now he's back to his hobo clothes, probably because even that was too much effort to keep straight.

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3

oriongates posted:

What do you think it's supposed to be? In a vacuum, I'd say it's a grilled sausage, but Snout, being Mookie, is vegan so that's obviously impossible. It looks like an actual turd. Alongside a dinner roll and some peas with a glass of milk. Normal breakfast food. It looks like the plate of food Jon Arbuckle is always pictured with: 4 slices of meat loaf, a scoop of mashed potatoes with butter, and peas.

Bismuth
Jun 11, 2010

by Azathoth
Hell Gem

oriongates posted:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011

Invisible Clergy posted:

What do you think it's supposed to be? In a vacuum, I'd say it's a grilled sausage, but Snout, being Mookie, is vegan so that's obviously impossible. It looks like an actual turd. Alongside a dinner roll and some peas with a glass of milk. Normal breakfast food. It looks like the plate of food Jon Arbuckle is always pictured with: 4 slices of meat loaf, a scoop of mashed potatoes with butter, and peas.

Potato, curvy baguette, peas.