Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Shageletic posted:

Lol

But Lodge 49 is very much like a book, a paperback about a ex surfer stumbling into conspiracies and making friends.

Its like lighter Pynchon.

on paper this sounds terrible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Lodge 49 is like John From Cincinnati but funny and likeable instead of whatever that show was

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

HOLY gently caress posted:

Been wondering this for awhile- what are the most elaborate lengths shows have gone to to conceal casting info for upcoming special/surprise appearances, like when a character unexpectedly comes back from the dead or something? I’ve heard of hiding casting info by using fake names or whatever but there has to be weirder poo poo than that.

socialsecurity posted:

The one I remember the most is Starbuck on Battlestar but there is probably better examples.

To expand on this, when Starbuck was "killed" near the end of BSG season 3, not only did the producers of the show and the actress explicitly tell the fans that Katee Sackhoff was leaving (even taking her name off the credits for the rest of the season) but behind the scenes, they told the entire cast that she was leaving the show, she told all of her friends that she wanted to move on, they had a giant going-away party for her, and then they filmed her end of season return cameo in secret, so it was all a shock to the cast also. On the Battlestar Galacticast, Tricia Helfer mentioned that some members of the cast got genuinely angry at Sackhoff and RDM over tricking them all.

It's not quite to that level but the (main) cameo in the Office finale was something that the actor and show producers both explicitly denied for months, claiming that it just hadn't been possible to line up filming schedules.

Also not quite to that level but when Matt Smith left Doctor Who he filmed a scene that was then used the next season as part of a time travel phone conversation.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

I wish I had a sister like my big strong Daddy :(
Zerozerozero was okay. Thanks for the rec upthread. Like a shittier the wire? Showing all sides of the issue. Apparently there's a second season coming? That's a bit disappointing, it was okay as a self contained story.

If you want a drug story you could do a lot worse.

Apprantly Apple+ is doing a Stephen king adaptation? When will they ever learn... I'm still sore about 2020 The Stand.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Apple's thing is Lisey's Story starring Julianne Moore and produced by JJ Abrams. Every review I've seen says it's bad but how can Julianne Moore be in something bad.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Mu Zeta posted:

how can Julianne Moore be in something bad.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Without that movie we'd never have gotten the "THERE'S ALWAYS TIME FOR LUBRICANT!" line tho

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

How.

Dare.

YOU.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
drat the Pose finale was very good. Third season was the most overtly preachy which kinda felt like preaching to the choir given that like what homophobes and transphobes would even be watching this show??? but it was also probably the best. The choice to end with the final scene they did rather than another one or two afterwards was a bit odd to me though

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Google Butt posted:

family drama is cheap space is expensive!!

Filming people talking on sets you already built in the first season, has got to be cheaper than a bunch of cgi and new props, right?

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I always find it hard to recommend Lodge 49 to people because I can’t explain what the show is actually about, just that it’s good.

It’s about friendship, capitalism and depression, but it’s also very much a feel good show, and that never seems to make sense to people.

Dud is a bit of a jerk in the first few episodes, so it’s also a show that doesn’t immediately show how good it is.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

I love this movie, I don’t care what anyone says*

*I haven’t watched in about a decade though

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nemo posted:

Zerozerozero was okay. Thanks for the rec upthread. Like a shittier the wire? Showing all sides of the issue. Apparently there's a second season coming? That's a bit disappointing, it was okay as a self contained story.

There is a pretty logical second season storyline. Or they could just do a self contained anthology type thing about the same subject matter. But no, there is no word on a season 2. I think it was designed as a mini series.

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Anyone watched Hacks? Is it good?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yes and yes. I like it a lot.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Oasx posted:

I always find it hard to recommend Lodge 49 to people because I can’t explain what the show is actually about, just that it’s good.

It’s about friendship, capitalism and depression, but it’s also very much a feel good show, and that never seems to make sense to people.

Dud is a bit of a jerk in the first few episodes, so it’s also a show that doesn’t immediately show how good it is.

It reminds me of Terriers. But that is a lot easier show to sell.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

Looten Plunder posted:

Anyone watched Hacks? Is it good?

Jean Smart is killing it. Actually everyone is killing it on that series.

Edit: I just saw that Hannah Einbinder who plays Ava is actually a stand-up, and her mom, Laraine Newman , was an original cast member on SNL. I think she does a good job of walking that line between earnest and annoying that her character requires.

nate fisher fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Jun 7, 2021

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Why Women Kill has got strong Fargo energy this season, and not just because it's got Allison Tolman in it. Her character is absolutely going to do a Lester (Martin Freeman) and become an absolute monster and it's going to be glorious.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The Tolman/Nick Frost story is good so far but I’m not sure about the other one yet. I guess they’ll probably intertwine, so I’m looking forward to when that happens.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

bull3964 posted:

Decided to start a slow roll rewatch of "Malcolm in the Middle" which I still think if one of the more underrated sitcoms of the early '00s.

I've been rewatching it while working out lately and while I still love it, hoooo boy do they love their gay jokes.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Medullah posted:

I've been rewatching it while working out lately and while I still love it, hoooo boy do they love their gay jokes.

I don't know that you can watch a comedy made in the early 2000s (especially one involving teenage boys) that doesn't.

Just a product of the time.

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

I'm doing a rewatch of Malcolm in the Middle too and the thing that jumps out to me is that they do some cinematography stuff that is borderline excessive for a sitcom. There's more than a few times where they track balls flying through the air for example.

But the one there's one cold open in season 1 that really impressed me. It's not exactly True Detective or Birdman, but the camera backs up through the window, pans to to a hallway and then back through the window. It's simple, but the fact that they went to that kind of planning and forethought for a half hour sitcom is so fun.

https://youtu.be/1FrQUJ6qRo0

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I love this movie, I don’t care what anyone says*

*I haven’t watched in about a decade though

It's certainly better than Jurassic World and Next.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I also think it's pretty important to the feel of the show which is "teetering on the edge of barely contained chaos." Doing shots like that shows just how much STUFF is going on around the house.

There are so many things about the series that is neat looking back with fresh eyes. First and foremost (and what's been talked about here before) is the realistic portrayal of middle class life. They are a two income household that's just barely scraping by. Yeah, you could say the fact that they are sending a child to private school blows that a bit, but it's not like the military academy Francis is going to is all that good either.

Speaking of which, that's a convention that's odd when you really examine it. We have one main character as that's part of the family unit that has completely self contained stories that are neither A or B plot. Hell, the show blows up A and B plots altogether on the regular.

Take the two part season one finale/ season 2 premiere.

Here are all the plots going on:

Part 1 has:
Hal and Lois are trying to relax at the park
Reese and Malcolm are having a prank duel
Dewey is having bizarre fun with his babysitter and then gets lost following a balloon
Francis is having a pool duel with Spangler

Part 2 has:
Hal questioning his mortality
Lois going crazy not being able to control the situation
Malcolm meeting a girl
Reese declaring war on an ice cream truck
Dewey traveling back home
Francis eating 100 "quacks"

In the span of 44 minutes, that's 10 different plot threads and none of them seem rushed or shortchanged. It's really a testament to how tightly the show was put together.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was a really good show. It's especially enjoyable to watch Cranston pre Breaking Bad and see just how far he was invested in Hal.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Obligatory Hal skating.

Also, that's another example about an interesting shot choice they made that required extra effort. When Malcolm finally asked Hal to skate, the way they blacked out the whole set without making a cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XjOhdiNRA

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

bull3964 posted:

Obligatory Hal skating.

Also, that's another example about an interesting shot choice they made that required extra effort. When Malcolm finally asked Hal to skate, the way they blacked out the whole set without making a cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XjOhdiNRA

The room darkening shot was great. And I think the house scenes are filmed in an actual house, not a set, so it was probably that much more difficult to pull it off.

I'm only on season 2 of my rewatch, and I hope the production value continues throughout.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
John From Cincinnati was great actually

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
"actually"

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
I was replying to this :j:

Escobarbarian posted:

Lodge 49 is like John From Cincinnati but funny and likeable instead of whatever that show was

It was funny and likable, op

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love John From Cincinnati but I don’t know that I agree with it being especially funny. It was just kinda weird and off-putting (which is what I liked about it tbh)

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It was bad and you should feel bad for liking it.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2
John From Cincinnati was made by 9/11 truthers

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Are either of these shows similar to Dispatches from Elsewhere? Because I thought that show was kind of... Wanky.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I vaguely remember liking it even if I had no loving clue what was going on. I just remember things building to a Milchean kefluffle and someone yelling "Attorney Dickstein!"

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Aardvark! posted:

Are either of these shows similar to Dispatches from Elsewhere? Because I thought that show was kind of... Wanky.

I haven’t seen John From Cincinnati, but Lodge 49 was similar to Dispatches From Elsewhere. I loved them both. Lodge 49 was a little more laid back.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

As someone who loved Dispatches from Elsewhere, I'm not sure there's much at all that's even close to as navel-gazey as that show. Lodge 49 isn't really doing that from what I've seen.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
Well, they’re both kind of surrealist narratives about alienation and community in the modern world. DFE is more focused because it relies on what’s basically a scavenger hunt, whereas Lodge 49 meanders and sprawls a bit. They both have a sense of whimsy that’s informed by genuine pathos.

I think Dispatches is likely more off-putting (especially the finale), but if someone mostly liked it, Lodge 49 would be right up their alley.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I was actually hoping to watch Dispatches next, but apparently its only on Prime and you have to purchase the season. WTF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

They want you to sub to AMC+.

You can add that to Prime though and they offer a free trial. So, could burn through it in the week.