Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who?
Tifa
Aerith
Aeris
View Results

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Elentor posted:

This is just my personal opinion but I think a lot of things in this game went on for too drat long.

I think Chapter 5 is the one below the plate, I was thinking when I beat the game "maybe replay it or do hard mode" then I remembered it and the sewer levels and also how long the second reactor takes before you can fight Airbuster and the bike sequence and the Hojo lab dungeon and if I'm being entirely honest none of it was very fun to me.

Honestly I feel the opposite of some of those. When I replayed I was shocked by how short they were compared to what I recalled in my memory. In particular Hojo's Lab and the pre-Airbuster sequence felt much longer in my memory than they did going through a second time.

I do admit though that I like the combat system a lot so I don't mind fighting, especially compared to similar segments in FFVII where you're so early in the game that you're just mashing attack.

The part I found dragging most on replay was the Aerith sequence and largely just because you only have two party members despite there being quite a lot of stuff to do. On the other hand it contains some of the most memorable sequences in the game so hey!

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Jun 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
4K remaster of Advent Children is up for pre-order on Bezos trash store:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091NQGL8X

Pre-emptive dilly dally shilly shally

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Yeah I feel like if you have to make a dialogue box that says "You can skip this sequence without penalty" maybe might want to give that another tuning pass...

Really glad the manuscripts aren't locked behind them lol

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=766mJEUXDoU&t=2007s

Maybe I'm crazy but as soon as I heard this, I was like "this sounds like a song from FFXIII or XIII-2." Especially by 33:41. Just wondering if anyone else hears it. I wish I could pinpoint what exact song it reminds me of but it really does sound exactly like a song from one of those games.

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES

NikkolasKing posted:

Maybe I'm crazy but as soon as I heard this, I was like "this sounds like a song from FFXIII or XIII-2." Especially by 33:41. Just wondering if anyone else hears it. I wish I could pinpoint what exact song it reminds me of but it really does sound exactly like a song from one of those games.

yeah, Masashi Hamauzu did 13 and basically every new track in 7, I love it. Probably my favorite FF soundtrack, it's so good- I made a Spotify playlist with mostly his tracks https://open.spotify.com/playlist/42ph2wMlJtOQGl1tSAh2KQ?si=jyWDO0GGSkWVO8AMDGhJBA

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Elephant Ambush posted:

4K remaster of Advent Children is up for pre-order on Bezos trash store:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B091NQGL8X

Pre-emptive dilly dally shilly shally

I'm not going to buy it again, but I wonder if it actually is native 4K. They didn't re-render the whole of Advent Children when they released it on Blu-ray, just the new scenes, so you can tell what was from the original version just by the aliased hair.

There's not much reason to go back to this when its main appeal was showing us what FFVII could look like with realistic graphics, which the remake does a far better job at. I'm sure there's some details a pre-rendered video can do better than a game, like water effects with fluid dynamics, but the remake has a much more vibrant colour palette, much better voice acting and lip-sync (for the English dub at least) and is just more faithful to the world and characters.

I still love the original game and how it looks. My favourite way to play is the PS1 versions in an emulator with downsampling, so you don't get razor-sharp 3D models on a chunky pre-rendered background. When I saw Advent Children it seemed impossible that they could remake the entire game like this when it took years to make a 100 minute film. I guess it still is, but being split into multiple games is a much better compromise than having to take a hatchet to it.

Besides, if they did try to remake it in one game, it would be 90% Midgar, 10% fighting Jenova and Sephiroph, which is exactly what we got, except we still have several more games to explore the rest of the world and make the combat system even better.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I still can’t believe we got a FF7 remake at all and that is was good.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

lol remember when they released this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912dF_ltp0Y

and everyone was like "hey so cool y'all remaking it?"

"lol no it was just a tech demo guys! wow why would you have taken it so serious., lol idiots. We cannot remake FF7 because we'd have to remake it from the ground up"

"ok and?"

I watched FF7R get delayed in my amazon wishlist no less than three or four Christmas'

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JWEY1ZEf5S8

FINAL FANTASY VII RETURNS
ON PS4

SPRING 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

look, I loving loved FF7 on PS1. It was a transformative experience. I have plans to get a FF7 Meteor tattoo. Our family friend showing me the knights of the round table summon and piquing my early interest into nerdy poo poo will always be a memory. But jesus, they shoved that lovely PS1 port down our throats every console generation, and on PC

at no point do I ever want to replay that game lmao, better left in nostalgia/memory. I'd be hard pressed to even tell anyone it was a good game. Nothing aged well.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly I feel the opposite of some of those. When I replayed I was shocked by how short they were compared to what I recalled in my memory. In particular Hojo's Lab and the pre-Airbuster sequence felt much longer in my memory than they did going through a second time.

I do admit though that I like the combat system a lot so I don't mind fighting, especially compared to similar segments in FFVII where you're so early in the game that you're just mashing attack.

The part I found dragging most on replay was the Aerith sequence and largely just because you only have two party members despite there being quite a lot of stuff to do. On the other hand it contains some of the most memorable sequences in the game so hey!

I'm happy for you and all but to me two screens is exactly how long I want to stay in a sewer level.

Also drat I forgot about the train graveyard until someone mentioned it just a few posts above, I thought that was long as it was in the original, in the remake it was a whole thing.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

The only part that somewhat drags a little is Hojo's lab, in my opinion. But yeah, ImpAtom is sort of correct in that the first time around they feel longer than they actually are. Going through those parts again and they breezed by on Hard.

The Train Graveyard feels like it drags because there's an extremely important fight going on in the distance and you want to get to it as soon as possible instead of just enjoying the journey. It's the Twin Peaks season 3 problem. First time through, you're waiting for a character to finally come back. Second time through you know when it happens and you can just enjoy the moment-to-moment stuff.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

look, I loving loved FF7 on PS1. It was a transformative experience. I have plans to get a FF7 Meteor tattoo. Our family friend showing me the knights of the round table summon and piquing my early interest into nerdy poo poo will always be a memory. But jesus, they shoved that lovely PS1 port down our throats every console generation, and on PC

at no point do I ever want to replay that game lmao, better left in nostalgia/memory. I'd be hard pressed to even tell anyone it was a good game. Nothing aged well.

It owns actually

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Corneo’s secret stash and going through the sewers was a huge PIA

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Corneo’s secret stash and going through the sewers was a huge PIA

Sorry about your rear end.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

Not only did the 13 composer do a lot of 7 Remake music but that specific song sounds like his FF13 song Defiers of Fate that was used for high action scenes (About a minute in not the beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06F6pzuwGog

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

That song is called Infinity's End, if you just want to grab a video of it instead of using the LP with dialogue over it while talking about it.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Collapsed Expressway was the only track that made me go "this is some FF13-rear end music"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Not only did the 13 composer do a lot of 7 Remake music but that specific song sounds like his FF13 song Defiers of Fate that was used for high action scenes (About a minute in not the beginning)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06F6pzuwGog

Thank you so much for finding that song. Little things like that drive me nuts, was almost tempted to replay FFXIII just to find what song I was thinking of.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
His style is so distinctive, it might as well be wearing a “hi, my name is Masashi Hamauzu” name tag.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

It's nice to see THAT scene in the original still have impact on players no matter how old the game is.

I like this retro game streamer's channel and while she knows the key spoilers, this is her first playthrough of the game.

E: edited to fix links

anakha fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Jun 9, 2021

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

anakha posted:

It's nice to see THAT scene in the original still have impact on players no matter how old the game is.

I like this retro game streamer's channel and while she knows the key spoilers, this is her first playthrough of the game.

Says the video doesn't exist anymore and I'm not sure what scene you mean, honestly. Probably End of Disk 1 but that wasn't my first thought so I'm not sue.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=912dF_ltp0Y

and everyone was like "hey so cool y'all remaking it?"

"lol no it was just a tech demo guys! wow why would you have taken it so serious., lol idiots. We cannot remake FF7 because we'd have to remake it from the ground up"

"ok and?"

I watched FF7R get delayed in my amazon wishlist no less than three or four Christmas'

i'm glad they waited a decade, that washed out art style has not aged well lol
also the PS3 processor would've killed the game lol

Augus fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Jun 9, 2021

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Augus posted:

i'm glad they waited a decade, that cloud model has aged even worse than the one with lego brick hands

That seems all right.

The one that weirdly sticks out is actually one of the more recent ones, the announcement trailer for the CyberConnect one with the weirdly gaunt cloud lol

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That seems all right.

The one that weirdly sticks out is actually one of the more recent ones, the announcement trailer for the CyberConnect one with the weirdly gaunt cloud lol

yeah that was a bit harsh about the character model but I'm not a fan of the art direction of that teaser and I'm glad they took a different approach for the actual remake.
that's definitely a funny cloud right there tho

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Cloud literally should be gaunt and maybe even a little sickly looking. Up until like the previous week before the start of FF7 he was a test tube baby.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

yeah doesn't the story take off from the end of Zack dragging his rear end across a whole game all decrepit

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.
I figured the fact he was a test tube baby is why he isn’t all gaunt and decrepit.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

He was in Science Juice, the only thing wrecked was his mind.

Which is a fact most people don't really think about. Dude was put in that thing when he was 16 and he might as well still be 16.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I imagine cloud looking physically ill would make the facade a bit too obvious.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Says the video doesn't exist anymore and I'm not sure what scene you mean, honestly. Probably End of Disk 1 but that wasn't my first thought so I'm not sue.

Thanks, fixed the links in my original post.

SlimGoodbody
Oct 20, 2003

NikkolasKing posted:

Which is a fact most people don't really think about. Dude was put in that thing when he was 16 and he might as well still be 16.

This explains so much about that emo little poo poo

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately

NikkolasKing posted:

Directorial commentary pointed this out explicitly with the Remake, though.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
You grow up fast in FF7. Yuffie is a 16 year old child soldier when you meet her. White haired grizzled chain smoking alcoholic Cid is the comparatively ancient 32.

Pretty sure you're killing 14 year old Shinra soldiers and those Shinra suits finished their MBA at 19.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Please don't white hair shame people in their early 30s, thanks in advance.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

piL posted:

You grow up fast in FF7. Yuffie is a 16 year old child soldier when you meet her. White haired grizzled chain smoking alcoholic Cid is the comparatively ancient 32.

Pretty sure you're killing 14 year old Shinra soldiers and those Shinra suits finished their MBA at 19.

Grey haired, one-eyed "Heh I knew your dad kid..." FFX Auron is 35. Same age as Barret in FF7.

FF8 also had your professor who was 18 years old, I've always just chalked it up to "Japanese Entertainment". Yakuza is the only series where people are believably in their 30s and then I watched a documentary and they were explicitly like "Oh yeah we meant to make games for old dudes who never play them"

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

ppl aged differently back then y'know?

uh. I mean in the future, or rather multi-verse, yeah!

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/finalfantasyvii/status/1402581488944619520

It's officially confirmed.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Cowards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

i liked the metal door better, gave the slums more of that feel