Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

Lil Nas X dropped a new song and video

https://youtu.be/U3BVFY9wnTw

It's amazing

No I am not loving crying shut up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Rarity posted:

No I am not loving crying shut up

Yeah, from hope ur ok to this

:cry:

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

what an emotional video. I’m proud of Nas X he keeps bringing it

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

I'm really enjoying SOUR. I've never been a teenage girl processing a break up but I feel like I could pull it off right now. good 4 u and deja vu are still my favourites but of the non singles, enough for you and hope ur ok really stand out to me. The writing is really great throughout and shes obviously got the singing talent (I love that she enunciates so well, my hearing isnt great and it's nice to know what shes saying too). It is slightly ballad heavy but theres plenty of other sounds in there that balance it out enough for me. favourite crime is practically folky.

I guess it helps that there's exactly one obvious comparison for a female lead in a musical dramedy about high schoolers making a transition from TV to the wider music industry, and her output has been very disappointing.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Been listening to SOUR all morning and I'm going to express my full opinion in the only valid form of critical review: a list

1. Good 4 U
2. Deja Vu
3. Hope Ur Ok
4. Jealousy, Jealousy
5. Driver's License
6. Happier
7. Traitor
8. 1 Steps Forward, 3 Steps Back
9. Brutal
10. Enough For You
11. Favourite Crime

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm feeling some good vibrations!

Rarity posted:

Been listening to SOUR all morning and I'm going to express my full opinion in the only valid form of critical review: a list

11. Favourite Crime

That's gotta be higher. Way up there.

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

Qwezz posted:

That's gotta be higher. Way up there.

1. Favorite crime
2. Good 4 u
3. Enough for you
4. Drivers license
5. 1 step forward, 3 steps back
6. Deja vu
7.Hope ur ok
8. Traitor
9. Jealousy, Jealousy
10. Happier
11. Brutal

Favorite crime just...:unsmith:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AyX_LL9nWSE

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Qwezz posted:

1. Favorite crime
2. Good 4 u
3. Enough for you
4. Drivers license
5. 1 step forward, 3 steps back
6. Deja vu
7.Hope ur ok
8. Traitor
9. Jealousy, Jealousy
10. Happier
11. Brutal

God

It’s brutal in here

edit: this was hard, the middle (below jealousy, jealousy) is all pretty equal and the bottom 3 are just ballad fatigue even if they each have different vibes. happier is the one where the writing gets a little too proud of itself but it isn't fun enough (like brutal) to recover. good 4 u is still magic

1. good 4 u
2. brutal
3. deja vu
4. jealousy, jealousy
5. enough for you
6. drivers license
7. favorite crime
8. hope ur ok
9. 1 step forward, 3 steps back
10. traitor
11. happier

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 22:56 on May 21, 2021

Qwezz
Dec 19, 2010

I'm not an audiophile or expert in certain terms but here's my experience; with Favorite Crime and why I rated it #1;
The start of the song sounds hollow, high treble with no bass, and has no subwoofer soundwaves coming out of my woofer. Over the course of the song it builds up and up gaining bass/depth until it goes full throttle at 1:55 and sends it all into overdrive in perfect rythm with the lyrics. Emphazising the important parts, highlighting the cadence, like it was all planned from the beginning. A proper subwoofer test. All this is giving more importance to the text . This song playing over my surround set almost triggers the neighbours. It gives a depth to the song which fits perfectly and is one of the reasons I put it so high on my list. The way my subwoofer goes nuts to its full potential with this song.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's called 1 step forward, 3 steps back because by the time you get there you want to go back and listen to Brutal again

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3TKt3IAwG0c

Rebecca Black keeps serving bops, actually.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Qwezz posted:

I'm not an audiophile or expert in certain terms but here's my experience; with Favorite Crime and why I rated it #1;
The start of the song sounds hollow, high treble with no bass, and has no subwoofer soundwaves coming out of my woofer. Over the course of the song it builds up and up gaining bass/depth until it goes full throttle at 1:55 and sends it all into overdrive in perfect rythm with the lyrics. Emphazising the important parts, highlighting the cadence, like it was all planned from the beginning. A proper subwoofer test. All this is giving more importance to the text . This song playing over my surround set almost triggers the neighbours. It gives a depth to the song which fits perfectly and is one of the reasons I put it so high on my list. The way my subwoofer goes nuts to its full potential with this song.

Honestly the production has been good since driver’s license, the way that song uses car noises as part of the song without being intrusive or obvious is really cool. Brutal feels much harder out of car speakers, like all good headbangers.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Born This Way turns 10 today- what an event when it dropped. That first breath into “I’m gonna marry the night.....” all the way into The Edge of Glory. What a drat album.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

It is my favorite Gaga album

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
The f-words in Driver's License used to surprise and shock me when it was just a single but now that I have Brutal and Good 4 U to contextualize the album I'm cool with it

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Junpei posted:

The f-words in Driver's License used to surprise and shock me when it was just a single but now that I have Brutal and Good 4 U to contextualize the album I'm cool with it

This album would be immeasurably worse without “where’s my fuckin’ teenage dream”

This is one of the best debuts in ages she’s already got such a good handle on her voice as a writer and it allows her to do fun poo poo like Brutal.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Agreed. It’s just a shame there’s so many boring songs in there too. I really hope she goes the rock/punk route because it suits her so well. good 4 u is so much more fun and interesting than favourite crime or jealousy jealousy or whatever

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
Agreed, need more rock vibes. Need her to make a grunge album on accident, the Nirvana esque drum fills on good 4 u, bikini kill riff on brutal. Need more Alanis less T swift

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

Miley Cyrus had the right idea, everyone should go rock. Rina should make a whole album with Elton John. Taylor Swift make that James Murphy-produced project I joked about when Folklore dropped. Olivia can make one coproduced by Alanis and Liz Phair. Kesha can finally make the greatest hair metal album of all time like she’s always been capable of. Billie Eilish can gently caress around and make a Joy Division album. Gaga can make an album full of songs that sound like Marry the Night and You and I. That all-girl pop-punk band that got signed to epitaph can be the next 1990s Green Day.

https://youtu.be/GnppAEpa3Y0

It still annoys me that we never got a full Kesha-makes-butt-rock album, she’s so good at it. This song and a few off of Rainbow were teases but I want a full album with songs that have videos of dudes in Speedos on the hoods of muscle cars like a gender-swapped Here I Go Again

edit: if all of the great artists making pop music sit around and let Machine Gun loving Kelly get all the cred for spearheading a return of pop-punk to pop relevance it will be a tragedy, that dude is awful

DC Murderverse fucked around with this message at 02:09 on May 25, 2021

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I do like that pop-punk Machine Gun Kelly album tbh but I’m sure that’s largely because of Travis Barker. Everything else he’s done completely sucks but that album is sick

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

I hope that Megan Fox honors all of the young women songwriters taking inspiration from Jennifer’s Body and eats him whole

Edit: and lets Halsey get in a few good kicks before she does

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Let's just make sure that blackbear doesn't keep riding on those trends

seriously how did he end up on both that MGK song and the ATL one

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

https://twitter.com/rinasawayama/status/1397965967171502081?s=20

Folks, she's coming.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Whoa.

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

Could not happen to a more deserving person

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That’s very cool

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sigrid is BACK with a fukken bop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7lr7pU9fYA

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

somnambulist posted:

Born This Way turns 10 today- what an event when it dropped. That first breath into “I’m gonna marry the night.....” all the way into The Edge of Glory. What a drat album.

and now we’re getting a special edition with track reimaginings from LGBTQIA+ artists, starting with Judas from Big Freedia, which sounds exactly like you’d expect, which is a good thing

https://youtu.be/Da2qmQmdvVI

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

New Billie

https://youtu.be/S2dRcipMCpw

I think this is my favorite off this album so far. It’s still got that more low-key vibe but it’s fun and vicious I dig it a lot

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

DC Murderverse posted:

New Billie

https://youtu.be/S2dRcipMCpw

I think this is my favorite off this album so far. It’s still got that more low-key vibe but it’s fun and vicious I dig it a lot

It sounds like a demo to me, the production doesn’t really go anywhere and it’s ....really forgettable. The chorus is ok.

I liked Therefore I am and Your Power more, but I haven’t heard any songs that I love off this record yet. Still like her as an artist though.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I like the bass but otherwise it sounds like a less interesting version of the last album like most of the tracks have so far

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Sophomore albums are hard.

Unless you’re Lorde.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Queen II is the best queen album though.

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

I must be the only one that didn’t like Melodrama as much as PH, the early b sides, Magnets, or the amazing Hunger Games tracks. Really hoping LP3 has a darker/cooler vibe again.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Paperback Writer posted:

I must be the only one that didn’t like Melodrama as much as PH, the early b sides, Magnets, or the amazing Hunger Games tracks. Really hoping LP3 has a darker/cooler vibe again.

I think I can probably join you there. I do love Melodrama but it's not stuck with me the way PH has.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think Pure Heroine has better singles, but Melodrama is a more coherent album. If that makes sense. Tbh though, I don't think Green Light fits on the Album

Paperback Writer
May 1, 2006

TurnipFritter posted:

Folks, she’s coming.
I’m just getting into her and really love RINA’s 90’s sound on a lot of the tracks. I know this is a couple years old but it’s been stuck in my head for some days now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-s7pqSOasg

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

After listening to the new Chvrchs tracks, spotify let me know that poppy has done a jack off jill cover

Both are good

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

https://twitter.com/LilNasX/status/1400961440006086657?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
I finally heard the new CHVRCHES track and gently caress me that is a whole drat vibe