Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Some heated criticisms over a game not yet released

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
https://twitter.com/tippydoodles/status/1401651002705596419

Metapod posted:

Some heated criticisms over a game not yet released

While true, we did just have an open beta, and it isn't like stuff like the menus and the lobbies are gonna change.

I'm still excited, tho, and I'm bummed I gotta wait until the 11th unless my copy gets shipped early

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i rly dont care much about the fundamental changes bc i can always play AC+ at the old folks home but god the hitstop on the wallsplat makes me want to die

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I hope they add some colors later on that are similar to the Ky and Sol flips in the deluxe edition or whatever that do effects as well. Granted other characters don't have as obvious counterparts, but they're a good idea and changing effect colors is neat.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
Goddamn this is a savage article

https://twitter.com/TheOptionSelect/status/1401693439117434880

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lol

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

In Training posted:

"Strive sucks because it doesn't have M.O.M. Mode" is a awesome take

i think its a weird omission since poo poo like SFA3 world tour or MOM mode is really fun for a lot of casual players and it seems to be their audience

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

It still strikes me as a missed opportunity that nobody has made a roguelite single player fighting game where you build your character's moveset as you go along, or I guess like take damage or health buffs or invincible dash or something if you don't like the move options. Not having overlapping motions would give some structure right from the start. Granted programming AI would probably be the hard part for indie devs who might be more likely to do this sort of thing.

If you're really ambitious, let people take characters they've finished runs with online, with zero expectation of competitive balance.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Good luck to all those about to Bulshit Blaze it tomorrow, see you fellas in three days!

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

chumbler posted:

It still strikes me as a missed opportunity that nobody has made a roguelite single player fighting game where you build your character's moveset as you go along, or I guess like take damage or health buffs or invincible dash or something if you don't like the move options. Not having overlapping motions would give some structure right from the start. Granted programming AI would probably be the hard part for indie devs who might be more likely to do this sort of thing.

If you're really ambitious, let people take characters they've finished runs with online, with zero expectation of competitive balance.

River City Girls hits pretty close to this.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

oof

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

chumbler posted:

That's literally Absolver.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

chumbler posted:

Tobal and Ergheiz quest modes are kinda like that

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Wasn't there a Mortal Kombat game where in the story mode your person could learn everyone's moves?

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Gutcruncher posted:

I enjoyed strive a lot during the beta but I can absolutely understand the frustration or disappointment in a developer basically alienating their existing audience going after some hypothetical audience that may never come.

And this is fighting games, so I can’t imagine anything they do will be hooking a whole lot of new blood for very long. nothing you do can solve for the main barrier of entry: “Getting my rear end kicked constantly”

Doesn't help that we've all seen this cycle happen with games over and over, developers taking their audience for granted or actively alienating them while going all-in on chasing an audience of higher perceived value that indeed may not actually exist outside the heads of their executives. (it also happens in other industries, and with political parties)

Reiley posted:

River City Girls hits pretty close to this.

Eh, I dunno about that? While some moves are more useful than others (and aerials are kinda broken, especially Kyoko's Scrooge McDuck-style bounce) it feels more like unlocking a full moveset than building your own style, IMO.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

boz posted:

Wasn't there a Mortal Kombat game where in the story mode your person could learn everyone's moves?

Yeah and I remember everyone hating it. Also I think they introduced Bo Rai Cho in that mode.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

boz posted:

Armageddon mostly but it was kind of there in uh..the one..before it. Not Deadly Alliance. Deception?

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Street Fighter EX3's Ace is a customisable RPG fighter dude, basically.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Armageddon mostly but it was kind of there in uh..the one..before it. Not Deadly Alliance. Deception?

Armageddon had a full-on character creator, but I don't remember how it worked because gently caress that game.

Deception had the story mode with Shujinko, who'd learn moves from other MK characters over the course of the story and when you beat it you'd unlock him as a regular fighter. There was no customisation element whatsoever, he was just a dude with other peoples' moves, like a really lame Seth/Dural. Also his name is literally "protagonist", never forget.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Deception is the one that was kinda like Mortal Kombat RPG in that you went around building up your character in the story mode. I don't think anybody really liked Shujinko however and canonically his last appearance in the series was when Cassie Cage showed up and beat the poo poo out of him for no reason lmao.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

chumbler posted:

Fantasy Strike does something like this, the survival mode is a deckbuilder thing where you get cards that modify your char's stats or moveset after each fight. Pretty fun actually.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
There was a N64 fighting game that let you create characters and built your moveset by fighting others. Deadly Arts or something like that.

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Sonic Battle on the GBA had that too with Emerl. The system has problems though namely having to grind out a bunch of points to be able to equip a full moveset. Also the story starts getting kind of bullshit and you need to figure out some cheese for it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Doesn't help the first real boss fight is against Knuckles who hits like a train while you have like two actual moves at that point.

Twibbit
Mar 7, 2013

Is your refrigerator running?

chumbler posted:

Absolver?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Absolver would be way better if it wasnt a lovely darksouls

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

Absolver would be way better if it wasnt a lovely God Hand

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Mysticblade posted:

Sonic Battle on the GBA had that too with Emerl. The system has problems though namely having to grind out a bunch of points to be able to equip a full moveset. Also the story starts getting kind of bullshit and you need to figure out some cheese for it.
On the other hand the fact that you could copy Gamma's ability to explode on death was hilarious.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

BurningCourage posted:

Fantasy Strike does something like this, the survival mode is a deckbuilder thing where you get cards that modify your char's stats or moveset after each fight. Pretty fun actually.

I remember playing that and wondering why some of those EX moves weren't playable, since some of them really spiced things up

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013

I mean I can count on one hand the times that lag has been a factor after a week of regular play so… gotta farm those clicks I guess.

The lobby poo poo really is inexcusable though.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

night slime posted:

Are the ports for the Guilty Gear steam bundle good? I bought them because it was cheap but didn't think about that until later

no, it wouldn't let me rebind buttons

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I feel like someone probably posted this before but here's all of VF5 FINAL Showdown's Special Win Animations

1) You are not ready for some of the poo poo here
2) This is probably one of the most GIFable vids I've seen in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bPzlPdt-k

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

BurningBeard posted:

I mean I can count on one hand the times that lag has been a factor after a week of regular play so… gotta farm those clicks I guess.

i don't play with certain friends because i know the connection will be unplayable

they're getting punished for the crime of "living in a lower income neighborhood"

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

exquisite tea posted:

Deception is the one that was kinda like Mortal Kombat RPG in that you went around building up your character in the story mode. I don't think anybody really liked Shujinko however and canonically his last appearance in the series was when Cassie Cage showed up and beat the poo poo out of him for no reason lmao.

By the end of MKX, Raiden was corrupted into being a total dick and he remembered that in the original timeline, Shujinko was going to unknowingly resurrect Onaga while basically gifting him the MK version of the Infinity Gauntlet. So he just told Cassie that this old guy was terrorizing people and let her unknowingly tie up that loose end.

Golden Battler
Sep 6, 2010

~Perfect and Elegant~

BurningBeard posted:

I don't mean to sound like I'm flaming you, but "Works For Me" is never really a legitimate defense of something.

Nazzadan
Jun 22, 2016

BurningBeard posted:

The Option Select is the fighting game version of The Onion, Hard Times, The Hard Drive, etc.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel like someone probably posted this before but here's all of VF5 FINAL Showdown's Special Win Animations

1) You are not ready for some of the poo poo here
2) This is probably one of the most GIFable vids I've seen in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bPzlPdt-k

This video is also a good showcase on just how goddamn limited the customization options in Ultimate Showdown are

unattended spaghetti
May 10, 2013
Oh I don’t take it personally, but I think the problems with the game are overstated. Give it six months. People will be happy for VF, the netcode will be a minor annoyance by and large, and we’ll all forget it. Like I feel 99% sure this is going to be the case.

There are obviously going to be edge cases that are lovely, that sucks. I’m not denying that. Or even the fact that it’s a relatively low effort port with some level of cynicism behind it, but man, seeing poo poo like that just makes me feel like people are trying to be mad about video games. And I don’t see the point.

Nazzadan posted:

The Option Select is the fighting game version of The Onion, Hard Times, The Hard Drive, etc.

e: Context is important. lol

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

feature length documentary about the making of killer instinct's audio is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hYy4hlzuM

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007
VF5 US has felt nothing but lovely to me online and I'm wired in, playing against other people near me who are also wired in, and have had nothing but 4bar matches so far. Definitely not an overstated problem for me at least.

My Crab is Fight fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Jun 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
The VF5 netcode is just so weird. Most of my matches have been excellent but being server-based that’s absolutely not universal.

I can’t imagine the worst VF5 matches being as bad as the average Samsho or KOF14 though so it’s at least better than the typical delay-based.