Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Torquemada posted:

As I understand it plenty of people have impossible wishes granted, so there’s absolutely no reason to have the guy next door involved at all.

Yeah, there is nothing else to support that decision so either the writer was a big time oatmeal-for-brains idiot or they snuck in some wank material.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Going by Wonder Woman's heroic speech at the end of the film I'm thinking the writer was either very stupid or they secretly wrote a satire.

TheBlackVegetable
Oct 29, 2006
Perhaps the penalty for the wish was actually that she would also be a rapist. So she saves... but she rapes.

Patrick Spens
Jul 21, 2006

"Every quarterback says they've got guts, But how many have actually seen 'em?"
Pillbug

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah, there is nothing else to support that decision so either the writer was a big time oatmeal-for-brains idiot or they snuck in some wank material.

Yeah, there were a lot of weird and bad choices made by that movie, but they were mostly comprehensibly bad. Having Steve Trevor possess some poor schmuck was just baffling. It wasn't even the the twist on her wish! There was just no reason for it.

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Perhaps the penalty for the wish was actually that she would also be a rapist. So she saves... but she rapes.

This is definitely a sunny in Philadelphia scene.

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

TheBlackVegetable posted:

Comic book movies sure are great

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Biplane posted:

Comic book movies sure are great

A pretty large percentage of them are damned entertaining, yes

DC has way more misses than hits, though

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
Marvel: ten+ year plan to build up heroes that aren't really well known outside the comics, near-complete creative control in the hands of one visionary, some missteps along the way but now they're all making a billion dollars each and have attracted some of the best directing talent in the world

DC: do the same thing they did but with a committee running the show and using all of the best known characters that have ridiculous amounts of baggage also make the racist imperialist lady the producer for some loving reason and we've got Zack "substance? Never heard of it" Snyder and also Joss Whedon but after it came out he was an insane sex pest.

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy

Memento posted:

DC: do the same thing they did but with a committee running the show and using all of the best known characters that have ridiculous amounts of baggage also make the racist imperialist lady the producer for some loving reason and we've got Zack "substance? Never heard of it" Snyder and also Joss Whedon but after it came out he was an insane sex pest.
Which of these factors was responsible for Suicide Squad lol

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And then it turns out Snyder was the only one who actually had a long-term plan and themes, say what you want but that puts them ahead of Disney's Star Wars

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Suicide Squad is the result of the film being finished, not doing well in test screenings, so they got the trailer editing company that did the trailer to recut the film more like the trailer and then did a third cut that is an awkward mix of the more serious first version and the wackier trailerized version.

Solenna
Jun 5, 2003

I'd say it was your manifest destiny not to.

Biplane posted:

The only less good Mummy is the dragon one. The first two are art.
This reminded me of a pet peeve that shows up way too often in action movies, including The Mummy Returns. People jumping through stained glass windows is not a thing that will work. The black lines in between the coloured glass are strips of I-beam shaped lead that are soldered together at all the joints and to the frame surrounding the piece. It's less like jumping through a sheet of glass (as bad an idea as that is) and more trying to jump through a spiderweb made out of lead.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
A net. And all the glass cracks and bits fall out and the edges that you cut when you made it aren't exactly safe which is why they're in lead channels yadda yadda it looks cool :)

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish
I dropped a piece my mom made, once, and it mostly just folded. Still hurts that I managed to break it.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
New "The Conjuring": you kind of expect the effort to start falling off on the third movie in a series, but even the demon in this one seemed to be phoning it in. Like ooo look at me I can contort the human body in ways that shouldn't be possible and float and make a mess of your picture frames or whatever. Exorcists should start calling demons out on being so derivative. What are you going to do next demon, puke on me?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I'm still so mad we never ended up with a legal conclusion to whether or not ghosts are real

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
If only they had had access to that footage I watched during the trial, then it would have been obvious.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIMM for Raya and the Last Dragon, at no point does anyone get "the Glow"

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Len posted:

I'm still so mad we never ended up with a legal conclusion to whether or not ghosts are real
I thought this was common knowledge by now?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

i just rewatched pulp fiction & literally all the women are written as children. i guess i was a child myself last i saw it, but its super weird now.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

Carthag Tuek posted:

i just rewatched pulp fiction & literally all the women are written as children. i guess i was a child myself last i saw it, but its super weird now.

What's your definition of being written 'as children'?

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

Breetai posted:

All the piercings on my body, all 17 of them done with a needle.

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

Breetai posted:

“Any of you loving pricks move, and I'll execute every motherfucking last one of ya!”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Breetai posted:

alright, i guess mia is maybe 20 and esmeralda the taxi driver is an adult, but yolanda and fabienne are definitely written as 12 year olds

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.

Carthag Tuek posted:

alright, i guess mia is maybe 20 and esmeralda the taxi driver is an adult, but yolanda and fabienne are definitely written as 12 year olds

You didn't answer the question. Please elaborate on this.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Kathy Griffin was actually 9 was she filmed her part.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
I get what that poster is saying. Some of the women in Pulp Fiction are sort of cutesy and baby-voiced and it's a bit weird how the movie frames them. It's been too long since I saw it to say if they're really infantilized though.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Memento posted:

Marvel: ten+ year plan to build up heroes that aren't really well known outside the comics, near-complete creative control in the hands of one visionary, some missteps along the way but now they're all making a billion dollars each and have attracted some of the best directing talent in the world

You don’t really have to build up most of the Justice League. It has Batman and Superman, and while they’re a step below everyone knows Wonder Woman, Flash and Aquaman. Also Cyborg is there.

It would have been perfectly fine launching into things as it was if good writers and a director had made it.

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

ill give you fabienne, she is absolutely infantilized.

mia wallace is every strung-out, nonchalant college sophomore i've ever met. honey bunny is in her own class

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Fabienne felt weird to me even back when I first saw it at like 14 years old, when I was super oblivious to that kind of stuff. I remember talking about it with friends.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Also, Marvel didn't have some genius plan to focus on their more obscure heroes. They pawned all their biggest heroes off when they were struggling in the 90s so by the mid-2000s all they had the film rights to was like, the Iron Man and Doctor Strange tier. Sony had Spider-Man and Fox had the X-Men and Fantastic Four, and Marvel was left holding a mixed bag of C-listers.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
They got extremely lucky with the first Iron Man, striking exactly when RDJ was on an upswing and him being willing to do it while being supernaturally good casting (along with Sam Jackson). If their first showing out of the gate was the Norton Hulk movie or like Captain America they might have dropped the whole thing.

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Baron von Eevl posted:

They got extremely lucky with the first Iron Man, striking exactly when RDJ was on an upswing and him being willing to do it while being supernaturally good casting (along with Sam Jackson). If their first showing out of the gate was the Norton Hulk movie or like Captain America they might have dropped the whole thing.

SLJ wasn't in the first one.

Edit: Wrong apparently; thought his donut shop scene was his introduction in the "IM" films.

Sand Monster has a new favorite as of 14:09 on Jun 7, 2021

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sand Monster posted:

SLJ wasn't in the first one.

Yes he was in the stinger mentioning the avengers

Roblo
Dec 10, 2007

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!
Watched Die Hard: With a Vengeance again last night, first time in ages. Forgot how good it was.

When they pick up McClane at the start, one of the other cops mentions the theft of 19 dump trucks somewhere as a side comment. Must be the same ones used in the heist. "Who the hell steals 19 dump trucks".

Edit: wait ive just noticed this isnt the "little things in films" thread. im a dumbass.

Roblo has a new favorite as of 16:40 on Jun 7, 2021

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Die Hard with a Vengeance is one of the best films for NYC location shooting and the geography actually makes sense. The only time they cheat is that the Wall St 2/3 platform doesn't look anything like that, but I can understand not using the real one because it's way too small and narrow.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
BLADE:

Quinn escapes Blade by jumping off the hospital roof and landing on an ambulance that was leaving.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Your Gay Uncle posted:

BLADE:

Quinn escapes Blade by jumping off the hospital roof and landing on an ambulance that was leaving.

Just dropped someone off? Heading out to respond to a call? I just realised I don't know where ambulances live.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Your Gay Uncle posted:

BLADE:

I think maybe you're forgetting to say some detail about the scene or something because otherwise...I mean what happens when an ambulance delivers a patient to a hospital, then? Just scrapped immediately?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Your Gay Uncle posted:

BLADE:

...because otherwise we'd need an enormous supply of ambulances that go to a hospital once and never leave. The hospitals in turn would need to continually be building parking garages for all those ambulances.