Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I mean, there's a lot of anedoctal evidence on the netcode being pretty bad if you're not close enough to a server - I would assume it also sucks if for whatever reason you have a bad route to one of the servers too, and we have no idea how it deals with delay when the baked-in lag isn't enough to cover up for the connection.

Like, Art was all "it's fine for me, people are exaggerating" but the motherfucker lives in NY and has access to Gigabit Google Fiber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

I feel like someone probably posted this before but here's all of VF5 FINAL Showdown's Special Win Animations

1) You are not ready for some of the poo poo here
2) This is probably one of the most GIFable vids I've seen in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bPzlPdt-k

:drat:

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

Dias posted:

I mean, there's a lot of anedoctal evidence on the netcode being pretty bad if you're not close enough to a server - I would assume it also sucks if for whatever reason you have a bad route to one of the servers too, and we have no idea how it deals with delay when the baked-in lag isn't enough to cover up for the connection.

Like, Art was all "it's fine for me, people are exaggerating" but the motherfucker lives in NY and has access to Gigabit Google Fiber.

At least in my case I'm in the UK, so near a server, playing against other people who are also in the UK. Yet every session feels noticibly worse than offline and me and my friends had plenty of dropped combos and other weirdness with the inputs going on, as well as the occasional freeze and disconnect. At least it was free.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Smoking Crow posted:

feature length documentary about the making of killer instinct's audio is up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77hYy4hlzuM

Thanks for posting this! I'm not even a KI player but the way it handled music is how all FGs should do it imo

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

I feel like someone probably posted this before but here's all of VF5 FINAL Showdown's Special Win Animations

1) You are not ready for some of the poo poo here
2) This is probably one of the most GIFable vids I've seen in a while

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b1bPzlPdt-k

hoooly poo poo this is insane

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Chaotic Flame posted:

Thanks for posting this! I'm not even a KI player but the way it handled music is how all FGs should do it imo

KI is ugly and I hate the combo system but the sound design and music is very strong.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
To be honest, I actually prefer even the Strive habbo hotel-looking lobbies over VF’s “you can’t even invite friends and I guess you’re just going to have to keep refreshing and looking for your friend’s lobby” system (I don’t care if it is getting patched, how the gently caress did they even think this was okay).

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Real hurthling! posted:

Absolver would be way better if it wasnt a lovely darksouls

They're literally making "Absolver but not a lovely Dark Souls": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ1YO3Ks2U

(Same team, same engine.)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
sols theme is a fuckin banger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sqGlraO9sfs

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Lemon-Lime posted:

They're literally making "Absolver but not a lovely Dark Souls": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1FQ1YO3Ks2U

Cool

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

BurningBeard posted:

Oh I don’t take it personally, but I think the problems with the game are overstated. Give it six months. People will be happy for VF, the netcode will be a minor annoyance by and large, and we’ll all forget it. Like I feel 99% sure this is going to be the case.

Yeah, surely the bad netcode is going to stop being an issue once there's less people playing and you have to settle for worse connections to be able to play at all.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

BurningCourage posted:

VF5 US has felt nothing but lovely to me online and I'm wired in, playing against other people near me who are also wired in, and have had nothing but 4bar matches so far.

Well if you're playing ranked that's cuz the ping indicator doesn't work and always shows 4 bars.

And it will just match you up with anyone across the globe.

So ever since I hit 10th dan it's matching me with lots of Japanese players and it is hell. So many games are unplayably laggy. They often won't stutter but they feel like utter poo poo and I'll be unable to reliably do super basic things like followup Taka's command grab with P+K.

The game's also unplayable against some of my best friends which is frustrating since I can play other lovely delay based fighters against them at a somewhat bearable level.

It's all incredibly frustrating and disappointing but I keep playing cuz this is one of my favorite games and I'm desperate enough that I'm just gonna suffer through all the ugly bits until I can't tolerate it anymore.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Chaotic Flame posted:

the doc is worth it just for the revelation that funky's fugue from donkey kong country was going to be a KI chune

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
Project Justice let you play essentially a board game to collect buffs and moves for your character.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.

The tempo suits Sol's true archetype (grappler)

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5KfqFPVn8 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa god the music is so loving good

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

gotta post the full version of may

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdBonVv0uQ

^^^
dang the end of milias theme is so loving good.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
After a week with Virtua Fighter 5 I don't think it's going to make it, even though I dearly want it to. The fact is, this is substantially worse than the Xbox Live Arcade version I picked up back in 2011(?) or so - less character customization, less features (single-player has been stripped out, Quest was really fun folks!), a bad lobby system, and a non-rollback based server relay system that works ok but needed to be better. It's also still an incredibly technical game that requires a lot out of the player to be anything beyond a scrub. For something that was supposed to revive/save the franchise, this doesn't cut it. GG Strive is going to come out and that's all she wrote for VF5, which sucks rear end. :( :( :(

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Don't think I saw this posted in the thread, but a Dev posted in the cesspit that is the Steam Discussion forums about the AWS tag on Strive:

(sorry about the huge image, the curse of a 4k monitor)

The fact that they're using their own servers as a middleman seems like it's setting the stage for cross play, but who knows? I know they've said it's something they'd like to do post launch, would be fantastic if they could get it in there

Weird Pumpkin fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jun 7, 2021

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah outside servers is a very good sign

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
I was pessimistic about crossplay, but that does seem to indicate that it's on their roadmap--otherwise, why wouldn't they just use PSN/Steamworks?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I'm interested in this if only to live out my fantasy of re-enacting the hallway fight from OldBoy.

My Crab is Fight
Mar 13, 2007

SLUM KING posted:

Well if you're playing ranked that's cuz the ping indicator doesn't work and always shows 4 bars.

Oh is that the case with ranked? That would explain some of it then. Is it the same for lobbies as well? Was in one with friends last night (all in the UK and reasonably close to each other) and it sucked for all of us.

Zand
Jul 9, 2003

~ i'll take you for a ride ~ ride on a meteorite ~

After a week with Virtua Fighter 5 I don't think it's going to make it, even though I dearly want it to.

I knew it wasn't going to make it when it got announced. I find your optimism inspirational, how do you do it

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Zand posted:

I knew it wasn't going to make it when it got announced. I find your optimism inspirational, how do you do it

Sometimes you beat the odds, and sometimes the marketing is poor but the product is great. Having said that, with today's corporations you're probably right to bet on "it's poo poo" most of the time.

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

After a week with Virtua Fighter 5 I don't think it's going to make it, even though I dearly want it to. The fact is, this is substantially worse than the Xbox Live Arcade version I picked up back in 2011(?) or so - less character customization, less features (single-player has been stripped out, Quest was really fun folks!), a bad lobby system, and a non-rollback based server relay system that works ok but needed to be better. It's also still an incredibly technical game that requires a lot out of the player to be anything beyond a scrub. For something that was supposed to revive/save the franchise, this doesn't cut it. GG Strive is going to come out and that's all she wrote for VF5, which sucks rear end. :( :( :(

While you have valid points, single player wasn’t stripped out for ultimate showdown. Final Showdown also lacked quest mode, only the old out of date by a couple entries vanilla VF5 had it.

RevolverDivider
Nov 12, 2016

I was considering trying VF5 since it sounds fun but lol strive is imminent and I had other stuff to play until the promised day.

SLUM KING
Nov 16, 2011

BurningCourage posted:

Oh is that the case with ranked? That would explain some of it then. Is it the same for lobbies as well? Was in one with friends last night (all in the UK and reasonably close to each other) and it sucked for all of us.

Lobbies seem to show pings other than "4 bars green" but I have no idea how accurate they are

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

RevolverDivider posted:

I was considering trying VF5 since it sounds fun but lol strive is imminent and I had other stuff to play until the promised day.

I mean it’s free, you lose nothing by trying it for a couple hours. Worst case you continue not playing VF, best case you like VF.

Happy Hedonist
Jan 18, 2009

I’d play more vf5 but I gave my ps to my boy and he doesn’t like fighting games. I’ve also always preferred 2d games because I am as old as the sun.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Real hurthling! posted:

gotta post the full version of may

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABdBonVv0uQ

^^^
dang the end of milias theme is so loving good.

the drumming is so good on all of these songs

why isn't everyone talking about how great the drumming is on all of these songs

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Lemon-Lime posted:

This looks like more of what I wanted Absolver to be. Will be following

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Smoking Crow posted:

the drumming is so good on all of these songs

why isn't everyone talking about how great the drumming is on all of these songs

Its absolutely wild. I even like Ram's theme in whole.

Somehow arcsys picked the weirdest parts to take out of context for the demo reel.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011

MechaX posted:

(I don’t care if it is getting patched, how the gently caress did they even think this was okay).

They didn't, one of the conditions for the revival was that it had to be ready for the 60th anniversary celebration; the 61th happened this week, the game had to come out before then. They probably intentionally left it out in order to meet the deadline.

Knowing that, why they chose to re-do all the graphics instead of just upscaling the original, keeping all the arcade content cut from the XBLA version and adding the basic online functionality from day 1 is the real headscratcher.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Chaotic Flame posted:

This looks like more of what I wanted Absolver to be.

That was my exact reaction when they first announced it. Game looks really cool and I hope it's good.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Dias posted:

KI is ugly and I hate the combo system but the sound design and music is very strong.

idk how long you played but the combo system takes a pretty long time to get used to despite it being pretty simple. The mechanics have a lot of long-term implications in the fundamental approach to doing damage. I'm up to 600 hours into it in the last year and it's a fun game. The music documentary is really cool too.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Faffel posted:

idk how long you played but the combo system takes a pretty long time to get used to despite it being pretty simple. The mechanics have a lot of long-term implications in the fundamental approach to doing damage. I'm up to 600 hours into it in the last year and it's a fun game. The music documentary is really cool too.

Oh, I just hate playing mindgames mid-combo on principle alone, I know there's depth to it and poo poo, it's just something I personally dislike. I think if the aesthetics and the mobility were better I could overlook that but eh, it's just not for me - like KOF, there's something about the input parser in those games that just irks me and hops just overload my brain.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick

anime was right posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OH5KfqFPVn8 aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa god the music is so loving good

yo mamma a Horus
Apr 7, 2008

Nap Ghost

anime was right posted:

hell yeah, millia's is my favorite

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNbeTErkHRs&hd=1

Axl's theme is very good