Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

bull3964 posted:

Obligatory Hal skating.

Also, that's another example about an interesting shot choice they made that required extra effort. When Malcolm finally asked Hal to skate, the way they blacked out the whole set without making a cut.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97XjOhdiNRA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mVq_4BA5DQ

I kinda wish this meme had become more popular.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love everyone who loves the Dispatches From Elsewhere finale but I also don’t judge anyone who hated it

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

The only issue I have with the Dispatches finale is that I wished I'd have known that it was basically it's own thing (epilogue doesn't feel like the right word for what it does) so that I could have enjoyed the penultimate episode as the culmination of those characters' stories.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1401933466652921862

Neat! While the main story was a bit too formulaic, I am here for the cool setting and more fantasy Amsterdam shenanigans.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
Hal inadvertently collecting a posse of dim-bulb bodybuilders who follow him around is one of the best TV sequences of all time.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

SimonChris posted:

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/1401933466652921862

Neat! While the main story was a bit too formulaic, I am here for the cool setting and more fantasy Amsterdam shenanigans.

I like the idea that the main Netflix twitter account gets its stats from other Netflix twitter accounts.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี

Laterite posted:

Hal inadvertently collecting a posse of dim-bulb bodybuilders who follow him around is one of the best TV sequences of all time.

Hell yeah that's a great episode!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
John from Cincinnati is just such a gross title I never wanted to watch the show. Just sick...why would I want to know anything about a guy like that: "from Cincinnati?" :barf:

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

Lodge 49 is incredible and nol a show where you need to worry about whether any kind of mystery is going to resolve or not. Every character is fleshed out and explored so well, Dud's sister Liz is a big favourite of mine and extremely relatable.

I loved her enough to go watch Humans to see something else she was in. I was surprised to find out she was British after she she pulls off a convincing accent in Lodge 49.

isaboo
Nov 11, 2002

Muay Buok
ขอให้โชคดี
Mr Inbetween is so drat good. Y'all need to be watchin' it.

Seeing Damon Herriman in it made me want to rewatch Quarry, another one of those too-good-for-this-world-so-it-only-got-one-season shows, and I forgot that Jodi Balfour of For All Mankind was in it too!

Funny thing is, I've never seen Herriman as Dewey Crowe

taco show
Oct 6, 2011

motherforker

Just wrapped the bachelorette season opening and I’m mildly excited by the cast and the girl gang hosts… especially after the absolute clusterfuck of last season.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

whats something good to watch tonight

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I've only seen a couple of episodes of Mr Inbetween, but as an Australian it's still weird hearing the normal range of aussie accents and seeing recognisable stores and locations.

Was also fun not realising No Activity was an Australian show first and seeing the main character in both (with driving seats flipped of course).

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I just started Mr Inbetween and yeah I’m liking it. Just finished Avenue 5 and I loved the writing in that.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

GreenNight posted:

I just started Mr Inbetween and yeah I’m liking it. Just finished Avenue 5 and I loved the writing in that.

The Avenue 5 airlock scene was one of my favorites of 2020.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Hughmoris posted:

The Avenue 5 airlock scene was one of my favorites of 2020.

When that scene aired: this shows great, but maybe a little unrealistic in just how stupid everyone is

*a few months pass and society collapses*

Hm, maybe Armando was being kind.

His timing is always impeccable.

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Escobarbarian posted:

I like the idea that the main Netflix twitter account gets its stats from other Netflix twitter accounts.

Gotta justify having 12,000 employees somehow.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

hire me

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

theflyingexecutive posted:

Gotta justify having 12,000 employees somehow.

I wonder how many are actually directly employed by Netflix. I worked briefly for their phone tech support, which exists and gets surprising use. Netflix just farmed it out to some company that farmed it out to another company that I worked for. In my head there are a handful of Netflix employees, most of which just manage which other companies stream the rest of the labour they need.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
I finally finished S2 of For All Mankind tonight, and it was great and everyone should watch it. I think it was a bit less thrilling than the last two episodes of S1, but still an awesome couple episodes.

Also, I read the whole For All Mankind thread. I know the whole “goons are bad at watching tv” thing is kind of a cliche……but MY GOD some goons are mind blowingly terrible at watching TV.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Moon tanks and mechs when

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Google Butt posted:

Moon tanks and mechs when

Season 3 is in the works.....

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Also, I read the whole For All Mankind thread. I know the whole “goons are bad at watching tv” thing is kind of a cliche……but MY GOD some goons are mind blowingly terrible at watching TV.

Oh god, do I even want to know?…..yes. Someone please elaborate

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Escobarbarian posted:

drat the Pose finale was very good. Third season was the most overtly preachy which kinda felt like preaching to the choir given that like what homophobes and transphobes would even be watching this show??? but it was also probably the best. The choice to end with the final scene they did rather than another one or two afterwards was a bit odd to me though

An update to this: it turns out it was a two-part finale, but this wasn’t stated anywhere. It wasn’t listed on my TV tracker app, it wasn’t on the site I use, it isn’t listed on wiki, and of all the sites I’ve seen cover the finale only Vulture appears to have mentioned that it was more than one episode. A very awkward way for any show to end!!!! So now I’m watching the second half and presumably it ends way less weird

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Anyone looking for a charming, unconventional, modern-day romcom should watch BBC's Starstruck. It's about a New Zealander lady having a one-night stand with a British/Indian movie star and they bump into each other a bunch of times over a year. I loving hate romcoms and but this reminds me of messy and funny ones like Bridget Jones.

e: looks like it's coming to HBO Max!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZqk-qAl2MM

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
More Kim’s Convenience drama (I’m posting two tweets because the full thread doesn’t show up on my app cos she’s replied to some of the tweets more than once), click through on both for all of it)

https://twitter.com/jean_yoon/status/1401632203629633542?s=21

https://twitter.com/jean_yoon/status/1401634678906425353?s=21

Looten Plunder
Jul 11, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Love me some Rose Byrne!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dpGTkyXB0cM

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.
I worked in the Kim's Convenience writers room and a lot of this is just sour grapes. While it's true that we were all white several of us enjoyed Asian food.

Sumo
Jun 17, 2005

Escobarbarian posted:

An update to this: it turns out it was a two-part finale, but this wasn’t stated anywhere. It wasn’t listed on my TV tracker app, it wasn’t on the site I use, it isn’t listed on wiki, and of all the sites I’ve seen cover the finale only Vulture appears to have mentioned that it was more than one episode. A very awkward way for any show to end!!!! So now I’m watching the second half and presumably it ends way less weird

Part 2 of the finale was somehow uploaded as a season 1 episode in the FX app when went to watch

A pretty uneven season but drat that was a good finale

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

I worked in the Kim's Convenience writers room and a lot of this is just sour grapes. While it's true that we were all white several of us enjoyed Asian food.

Sour grapes aren't Asian food. They're French. :colbert:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

https://twitter.com/ditzkoff/status/1402301500869779458

No thanks.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

i have decided i am going to be optimistic about this project for absolutely no reason. its going to be amazing

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

quote:

Pentaverate

seven different characters

I'm sure one thing has nothing to do with the other, but this bothers me.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

oh jay posted:

I'm sure one thing has nothing to do with the other, but this bothers me.

it says right there it's about a secret society of 5 men

there's a question - can 5 people really be considered a secret society?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Not the greatest trailer in the world, but I'm very glad this very sweet series is back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-W5wEljcKY

oh jay
Oct 15, 2012

Aardvark! posted:

it says right there it's about a secret society of 5 men

there's a question - can 5 people really be considered a secret society?

But if everything was 5, imagine the zany TV commercials you could have

FIVE TIMES THE SECRETS

FIVE TIMES THE MYERS

FIVE TIMES A WEEK

WEEKNIGHTS AT FIVE

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Has Mike Myers done anything good in the past several years?

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

My first reaction was "Hmmm a Halloween limited series could be cool" but then I realized it was the other Michael Myers

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Cojawfee posted:

Has Mike Myers done anything good in the past several years?

Has Mike Myers done anything at all in the past several years?

The last thing I remember him doing was Shrek 4 and that was 11 years ago.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
He was on The Gong Show which was mediocre, and he was in a couple movies I think as bit characters. He was in Bohemian Rhapsody, but I can't remember anything about him.