Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

unless someone is flooding a thread with their same negative opinion i don't see how it's really an issue

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm just baffled how anyone has the time and energy to spend on something they don't enjoy watching :psyduck:

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm just baffled how anyone has the time and energy to spend on something they don't enjoy watching :psyduck:

:emptyquote:

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes it's fun to dissect why you don't enjoy it

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

it was a perfectly reasonable discussion about dynazenon's pros and cons from a variety of perspectives, minus a couple people being mildly overdramatic, so its a good thing we relitigated it for 3 more pages like it was the worst thing that ever happened

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Endorph posting this and then immediately being probated for the crime of being correct in a multi-page D&D argument is immensely funny.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Inertia, force of habit or I find something amusing while watching the show are all reasons I keep going on a show I find bad. Though it can very, like how I finished Gekidol last season even though it was bad it was a very interesting bad for me whereas I dropped the new Battle Athletes fast.

Terry van Feleday
Jun 6, 2010

Free Your Mind

One could want to feel like they've properly concluded & washed your hands of something rather than leaving it an open issue, or want to be part of the conversation around it. As someone who gets really invested in the themes & ideas expressed by media I prefer to let it unfold its full argument before I go too deep into critique, which can be rewarding in its own way - Psycho-Pass is a great example because I didn't exactly enjoy that show but it offers a lot of stuff to sink my teeth into

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Fangz posted:

hot take, it's actually not okay to continue to watch a show you hate and tell people about that, because people who do that almost always turn out to be weirdly defensive about their bad decisions, spin all conversation to be about themselves, lash out at anyone who tries to be helpful and recommend other shows or share their own more positive opinions, tediously regurgitate the same complaints over and over, exaggerate all disagreement into "you're trying to create an echo chamber/hugbox etc etc", and basically turn the entire thread into a toxic flamewar

okay, exaggerating, but hey, gotta keep that take hot

There is fun in watching stuff that is absolutely terrible and then laughing at how dumb it is. This explains why I have watched every season of Sword Art Online, Milfsekai and Full Dive.

It's certainly not because my taste is just actually terrible and I crave trash like some sort of aggressive dumpster moth.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Group watching a bad thing is very different from watching something you dislike alone. Few people can enjoy Troll2 by themselves but laughing along with your friends can be very fun.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

There's nothing wrong with watching a show you don't like but I do question what is going on in the mind of somebody who watches a sequel to a show they don't like, does not like the new show any more than the old show and yet somehow continues to be surprised/disappointed when the show continues to be bad ten episodes in even though it has seemingly shown no sign of actually becoming any more enjoyable for them at literally any point. Like at some point I think it's absolutely valid to ask "well what the heck were you actually expecting."

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Melman v2

Terrible Opinions posted:

Group watching a bad thing is very different from watching something you dislike alone. Few people can enjoy Troll2 by themselves but laughing along with your friends can be very fun.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HyophYBP_w4

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Natural 20 posted:

There is fun in watching stuff that is absolutely terrible and then laughing at how dumb it is. This explains why I have watched every season of Sword Art Online, Milfsekai and Full Dive.

It's certainly not because my taste is just actually terrible and I crave trash like some sort of aggressive dumpster moth.

Which one was Milfesekai? Mom's Multi-Hit Attacks?

That said, I totally go dumpster-diving in trash every now and then too just to see what I'll find. Sometime you get a good dumb show you can switch your brain off to for half an hour at a time, others you can get a real neat trainwreck to observe and question. I can't say I like Full Dive, but I'm enjoying seeing the utter extent of how utterly poo poo Kiwami Quest is as a game, because it's got a fairly consistent set of internal rules so that when it shits on the player you can tell why and what RPG element it's pulling from, and it actually behaves like an RPG to enforce/inflict them rather than taking the lazy route of just making it a straight fantasy world in all but name.

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

ninjewtsu posted:

Sometimes it's fun to dissect why you don't enjoy it
Hell, sometimes you get paid for it and sometimes it's just good to vent.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

BlitznBurst posted:

There's nothing wrong with watching a show you don't like but I do question what is going on in the mind of somebody who watches a sequel to a show they don't like, does not like the new show any more than the old show and yet somehow continues to be surprised/disappointed when the show continues to be bad ten episodes in even though it has seemingly shown no sign of actually becoming any more enjoyable for them at literally any point. Like at some point I think it's absolutely valid to ask "well what the heck were you actually expecting."

i don't think what you are describing is what happened in this particular case

Omnicrom posted:

To give a sharply dissenting view, I was incredibly disappointed by episode 10, as I have consistently been with near everything in Dynazenon. I was let down by Gridman, everyone I knew hyped it to the ends of the earth and when I watched it I found it was just a pretty good anime series. Dynazenon, meanwhile, has barely managed to reach 5/10 television and the most recent episode has been no help. The episode of Dynazenon from last week was actually really good and bumped the show up in my estimation, but hoo boy did I not like this one. Gridman episode 9 was indeed masterful and was definitely the best episode of that show by leaps and bounds. Dynazenon episode 10 is not that. Dynazenon's version is way too loud, totally unsubtle, resolved itself in a pretty boring and obnoxious way, and I am sorry but the cast has not been fleshed out enough to carry the episode in the way that the show desperately wants them to. It honestly feels to me like they did this episode only because Gridman did it, not because they had a good idea to develop the characters because my hot rear end take is that they didn't and moreover largely haven't. There was no one like Akane here to grounds the episode, and we learned nothing new about 90% of the cast. To put it another way, there is absolutely a reason Minami got the majority of the scenes, it's because she's the only one the show is actually been doing things with and more's the pity because they seem to have resolved her storyline in a pretty underwhelming way. At least we didn't have to get shots of the consistently lame rear end villains after the intro.

Dynazenon has consistently struck me as a show that thinks it is done far more than it has and that is really really disappointing. I was pulling for the show going into it, but it appears that the show is just going to continue to be an inferior reheated also ran of Gridman. Again, I'm not super up on Gridman but that show is leagues ahead of Dynazenon in just about every way. I was never superduper impressed with Gridman's cast, but man am I remembering them so much more favorably now...

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

It depends on the show and why I don't enjoy it. If it's something that's clearly not my taste, or that I know from the source material isn't going to have a conclusion I want to push through to, I'll drop it.

Sometimes the show has some neat concepts, and despite missing the mark you want to see it through both for the sake of completion and so you can dissect why it went wrong. Full Dive is in that group for me, since I feel it almost constantly misses the mark on being funny (or having likeable characters) but the ways in which the RPG are atrocious are immensely fascinating.

Sometimes the show is just a garbage fire, and you want to see just how much fuel they're going to dump on the flames. Most isekais fall into that category, though I do at least avoid stuff that I know is going to cross the line thanks to the source material.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When I'm chatting in-depth about things I'm watching with pals I don't need to be watching something good in order to have a good time.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
10 episodes in and the main character of “Farewell, My Dear Cramer” hasn’t done anything beyond “be a useless poo poo at soccer” in the games and the story is framing her at being amazing at soccer. There have been flashes of it here and there but I’m hoping next episode we’re going to see why the guys respect Non-chan. I like the show but man the main character is driving me nuts.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

DAYS syndrome 😔

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

If I really hate a show I'll drop it, but if it's just something I don't like and I already got a good number of episodes into it before I came to that conclusion/decided it wasn't going to get any better I'll usually finish it just to know how it ends (see: Full Dive and Childhood Friend from this season).

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum
You won’t find out how it ends by watching the anime that adapts the first 20% of the plot

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe

dogsicle posted:

DAYS syndrome 😔
You see...the kid can't pass, can't shoot, can barely control the ball, but he's the future of Japanese football!

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.

Endorph posting this and then immediately being probated for the crime of being correct in a multi-page D&D argument is immensely funny.

justice for endorph

kater
Nov 16, 2010

The Black Stones posted:

10 episodes in and the main character of “Farewell, My Dear Cramer” hasn’t done anything beyond “be a useless poo poo at soccer” in the games and the story is framing her at being amazing at soccer. There have been flashes of it here and there but I’m hoping next episode we’re going to see why the guys respect Non-chan. I like the show but man the main character is driving me nuts.

It’s hilarious, I love that the show is framed as her origin story. I bet it’s the origin of her life in jail when she just murders the ace at the start of next episode because of the horrible coach’s advice.

kater
Nov 16, 2010

Cramer feels like it is the sequel to a show about her playing on a boys team. Like it has to be right?

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

One of the best group watching experiences I've ever had was the anime Divine Gate.

It's loving garbage. Every character design is worse than the one before. The plot is hackneyed and amateurish. Plots are dropped as fast as new irrelevant ones show up. There's a character called Shakespeare (a little girl), Macbeth (a blond woman) and Othello (a very non-black dude). The main character can't eat hot food because it reminds him of his sad childhood. There is a character who exists only to explain back to the MC what he's currently thinking. It's loving garbage and amazing with drinking rules

InspectorCarbonara
Jul 2, 2010

Evening, patrolmaaan.

Space Flower posted:

You won’t find out how it ends by watching the anime that adapts the first 20% of the plot
Well obviously, but I would hope that an anime adaptation of a manga/light novel/whatever that doesn't adapt the full story at least ends with the ending of whatever arc it's adapting and that's enough for me.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
the only thing i consider bad is something that actively makes me regret watching it. ice is one of the stupidest ovas i've ever watched and it's an experience i will forever treasure. kiznaiver and mnemosyne just got boring and lame and the dunbine ova attempted to kill me

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Torquemadras posted:

One of the best group watching experiences I've ever had was the anime Divine Gate.

It's loving garbage.
I had this experience while watching Goblin Slayer a couple of times. Once with some of my bandmates and the second time with my wife, her two younger siblings and some friends.

The show was a boring turd but watching it while getting high/drunk, eating tasty food and with your bros/loved ones made it hilarious, especially with my brother and sister-in-law doing pretty good Yuichiro Umehara impressions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF28dy69uG8

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

All you motherfuckers sleeping on Blue Reflection.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I'm watching Blue Reflection I think it's pretty good.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
This season the problem children were "I shaved and took a high school girl home" and "Tokyo revengers." The first was more curiosity to see how they'd handle the series, and the show was quickly dropped after a few too many moments of POV lingering shots on scantily clad troubled high school girl and other odd choices. I was still curious about the story but I wasn't going to put up with creepy poo poo to follow it.

Tokyo Revengers was almost dropped after two episodes for many of the same issues I complained about above. Protagonist just......sucked, and I didn't see how the series could be engaging despite that. The 3rd episode did juuuuuuust enough to keep me interested, but six episodes later and I'm realizing MC sucks just as much as he did then and isn't making any progress. "I created a story with a bunch of cool, fun and personable characters! The protagonist isn't one of em, and he's worse than just painfully generic." That's a weird setup for a series. Give me anyone else's POV.

Anyway, I say all that to say I'm not above dropping a series. Hell, i thought for sure I'd be dropping 86 this season and I'm pretty sure I'm watching that one all the way through at this point. But sometimes, even bad shows have their charms. There's definitely a laundry list of questionable shows I watched all the way through. I think the poster child for that I think of was something called Night Wizard, or something. 2007 series. It was alright. Nice ending song though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I know sometimes I live in fear that if I drop a bad anime I'll miss out on hidden gems like the time Wizard Barristers recreated the entire inside of a Lobelaws/Real Canadian Superstore (But the stores was located in the US)

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

my only drop is shadows house, which isn't even like bad lol. but they did make a handful of weird adaptation decisions that put me off and mean i wouldn't ever rec it over the manga, and i just couldn't find motivation to watch it weekly being a just-ok adaptation of something i read. meanwhile i continue to watch a just-ok adaptation of the worst arc in all of MHA so no i won't be taking any questions at this time.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

SatoshiMiwa posted:

I know sometimes I live in fear that if I drop a bad anime I'll miss out on hidden gems like the time Wizard Barristers recreated the entire inside of a Lobelaws/Real Canadian Superstore (But the stores was located in the US)

Also, Episode 11 of Wizard Barristers was an absolute revelation in terms of what a production trainwreck really looks like.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Torquemadras posted:

There's a character called Shakespeare (a little girl), Macbeth (a blond woman) and Othello (a very non-black dude). T
those first two sound good.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

remind me never to post in D&D again.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Endorph posted:

Hear hear

vvvv In all my post-college years (well since 2017) the majority of my trauma and panic has hailed from that thread.

Grouchio fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Jun 7, 2021

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

Only post in fun places, imo.

No fun to be found there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

This season the problem children were "I shaved and took a high school girl home" and "Tokyo revengers." The first was more curiosity to see how they'd handle the series, and the show was quickly dropped after a few too many moments of POV lingering shots on scantily clad troubled high school girl and other odd choices. I was still curious about the story but I wasn't going to put up with creepy poo poo to follow it.

i watched it in a bit of masochism because i thought "SURELY they're not going to go THERE, right?" and while for the most part they don't really go there, they still go way closer than necessary. this should've been sorted by episode 1, but because Japan™, you get awkward sexual and "wait, but what if" moments, and plenty of coomer shots like you mentioned