Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

The DQ3 screens look a lot nicer than Octopath did. For one thing they don't have that jelly filter all over everything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

multijoe posted:

If by 'faithful' you mean new remasters with those hideous Matrix Software sprites then sure!

They don't even look that bad without the smoothing filter, my only problems are the pastel colours and how they're all perched on one leg like a flamingo.

Why would you buy a book of Final Fantasy sprites if they're not even the originals

Barudak posted:

Please keep the Octopath 2DHD the hell away from everything, the Matrix ports look leagues better

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I usually don't give one single poo poo about graphic quality, but the sprites in the Matrix Software ports apparently are where my "Okay this is ugly enough I'm not going to play it" line is.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

the monsters look fine i guess but the party members are absolutely dealbreakers. a dq3 hd-2d remake run would be great. at least for 5 and 6. the psp release of ff4 still looks great

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.

Super No Vacancy posted:

the monsters look fine i guess but the party members are absolutely dealbreakers. a dq3 hd-2d remake run would be great. at least for 5 and 6. the psp release of ff4 still looks great

Yeah the PSP release of IV was nearly perfect for me. It’s my go to when playing that game. Looks great but still gives me the feel good nostalgia with the nice 2D sprites.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Please keep the Octopath 2DHD the hell away from everything, the Matrix ports look leagues better

lol

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

lol but also wow, I hadn't seen the in-battle screenshots for the DQ3 remake. it looks great!

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

:barf:

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The most bizarre thing is that the Matrix port sprites were done by the same artist who did the original SNES sprites.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

HD DAD posted:

The most bizarre thing is that the Matrix port sprites were done by the same artist who did the original SNES sprites.

*waves hand at ever increasing pile of creatives who don't understand why their early work is so beloved and only put out mediocre sludge today*

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Why is every male character angry and no female characters are allowed to be angry?

There’s a lot about the sprites that bother me but that’s the thing that really makes me dislike them. Faris is supposed to appear as a man, at least let her be angry! Why the gently caress is Gau angry, he’s a chill teenager who loves life frolicking with monsters, he never gets angry.

It’s a weird thing but it bugs the hell out of me.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

stev posted:

*waves hand at ever increasing pile of creatives who don't understand why their early work is so beloved and only put out mediocre sludge today*

Once again proving that limitations encourage brilliance.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’m very freaked out by the slimes in those DQIII screen shots. They are staring directly at the player and not the in game characters.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Very excited for DQ3 because I never played a DQ before and it looks simple enough I can play it while I'm high as gently caress tired.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

jokes posted:

Very excited for DQ3 because I never played a DQ before and it looks simple enough I can play it while I'm high as gently caress tired.

This is every Dragon Quest honestly, it's a series full of games where you can kick back and have a relaxing time.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Cleretic posted:

Change also happened on Android.

...does this mean what I hope it means? Are they finally righting my most pointlessly particular bugbear, and releasing actually faithful to the original versions?

FF5 and FF6 with the same quality spritework as the PSP/Mobile FF1 and FF2 remakes (or FF4 on PSP) would be such an improvement over the :effort: ports we ended up with. The gold medal would be to do it 2D HD style like the upcoming DQ3 remake.

Barudak posted:

Barudak's over-exposure to bad games has affected his eyesight. :ohdear:

Mega64 posted:

Why the gently caress is Gau angry, he’s a chill teenager who loves life frolicking with monsters, he never gets angry.

:thunk:

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I'm the only person who thinks the character sprites in FFIV PSP are ugly as poo poo but they are at least better than the lovely Matrix character sprites.

The PSP version is also pretty great since it doesn't have the washed out colors of the GBA version, also has good quality music, and keeps all the GBA's content. I still prefer the DS version overall but for the "purest" FFIV experience the PSP version is definitely the best.

Harrow posted:

This is every Dragon Quest honestly, it's a series full of games where you can kick back and have a relaxing time.

Unless you're in the final dungeon in DQ2.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Thinking about it, "Load Captain" actually makes a hell of a lot more sense as a title than "Lord Captain".

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Ethiser posted:

I’m very freaked out by the slimes in those DQIII screen shots. They are staring directly at the player and not the in game characters.

In the trailer, the camera switches to first person after you select your actions. This is probably so they don't have to create unique animations for all the different party members attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkbeCsEDrk

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm the only person who thinks the character sprites in FFIV PSP are ugly as poo poo but they are at least better than the lovely Matrix character sprites.

I agree about FFIV PSP's character sprites. I think I and II on the PSP did a much better job of updating the GBA sprites.

The whole selling point for mobile games like FF All the Bravest and Record Keeper are seeing FFVI-style sprites for all the characters, but then they release FFVI on mobile they don't even use them.

Twelve by Pies posted:

Unless you're in the final dungeon in DQ2.

The final dungeon in DQ2 isn't that bad, nothing compared to FFIII. Just outside it there's a guy who saves your game and revives all your characters for free, so the penalty for dying is pretty much gone if there's nothing else you need to buy. Plus the 3 minibosses only come back if you save and quit.

It's the dungeon before that, Cave to Rhone, that made me need to use a guide. You need to navigate a floor that's half-covered in pitfalls and climb back up every time you step on one.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

They don't even look that bad without the smoothing filter, my only problems are the pastel colours and how they're all perched on one leg like a flamingo.

Why would you buy a book of Final Fantasy sprites if they're not even the originals

I am 0/2 on Final Fantasy books because I picked this up at the clearance section in Barnes & Noble and I haven't opened it since I got it home and realized it was the new sprites wherever applicable :(

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Snow Cone Capone posted:

I am 0/2 on Final Fantasy books because I picked this up at the clearance section in Barnes & Noble and I haven't opened it since I got it home and realized it was the new sprites wherever applicable :(

What's the other book, the X-2 sequel? :psyboom:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Uh oh, now I'm worried I may have left my FF9 art book at my old place. For something I bought at loving Gamestop like fifteen years ago it was pretty comprehensive in all its art!

Granted I could probably just buy the FF7-9 Ultimania at this point, but eh.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

That loving Sned posted:

In the trailer, the camera switches to first person after you select your actions. This is probably so they don't have to create unique animations for all the different party members attacking.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFkbeCsEDrk
I agree about FFIV PSP's character sprites. I think I and II on the PSP did a much better job of updating the GBA sprites.

Given DQ3's rep and following in Japan I can only assume when this started playing on the stream that Japanese viewers lost their poo poo like Smash players every time a new character got announced. It just looks so drat good and I'm real curious to see what extras they add to the game.

Bring back the Pachisi boards that they removed from the mobile version for some bizarre reason. :argh:

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Evil Fluffy posted:

Given DQ3's rep and following in Japan I can only assume when this started playing on the stream that Japanese viewers lost their poo poo like Smash players every time a new character got announced. It just looks so drat good and I'm real curious to see what extras they add to the game.

Bring back the Pachisi boards that they removed from the mobile version for some bizarre reason. :argh:

I'm curious, as someone who doesn't know much about DQ, what are the major titles, the FF7's if you will, of the franchise in Japan? In the US it seems to be 8 and 11, with the hardcore being into 5.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

That loving Sned posted:

The final dungeon in DQ2 isn't that bad, nothing compared to FFIII. Just outside it there's a guy who saves your game and revives all your characters for free, so the penalty for dying is pretty much gone if there's nothing else you need to buy. Plus the 3 minibosses only come back if you save and quit.

It's the dungeon before that, Cave to Rhone, that made me need to use a guide. You need to navigate a floor that's half-covered in pitfalls and climb back up every time you step on one.

The remakes rebalance the DQ2 endgame a bunch even. It's still the most challenging DQ game because of the cave->final boss stretch. Up to that point it's similar to the other NES ones. Rest are chill rides. I really suggest starting with 3* or 5. Both are excellent games you can sit back, grab your favorite substances, and chill with.

*If you're intent on getting into DQ, do 1-3 in order though. Mobile versions are fine.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

That loving Sned posted:

What's the other book, the X-2 sequel? :psyboom:

I accidentally bought the JP-language version of Encyclopedia Eorzea vol. II at a store with a no return/exchange policy :sigh:

e: I actually do have the X-2 book, it was at Five Below for some weird reason and ngl it kind of owns

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Mustached Demon posted:

*If you're intent on getting into DQ, do 1-3 in order though. Mobile versions are fine.

Is it worth buying the Switch versions of the mobile versions on sale, or would I be fine emulating the NES versions or some other remakes? Justt curious in case I actually decide to dive into the series (only played a bit of 5 and 9).

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Actually, going back to FFDOT since this thread inspired me, I noticed that, at least for FF6, the static sprites are from the remake, but the character portraits are the originals and there's several pages of in-action sprites that are from the original it looks like:

Also, a lot of the older games either have both the original and remake sprites, or a mix of the two, like IV has the static sprite from a remake, but the OG portraits and world map sprites, etc.

What I'm actually noticing is that the "newer" sprites all say "2018 version" and there are sprites near the end for the newer games up to XV. When everyone is saying "Matrix sprites," are you referring to the Android/etc. ports? Because I think the sprites in this book are from Record Keeper, since that's the only one I can think of that redid sprites for all the games?

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Could be. I did notice from this image...

...that the non-Cyan males are not angry, which they definitely are in the 5 and 6 remasters as well as Dimensions 1 (TAY was spared somehow from angry men).

Also, I don't recognize the FF4 sprites since they're not from TAY and all the FF4 ports to mobile are for the DS version, so I assume it's one of the gacha games.

Moofia Boss Val
May 14, 2021

I personally don't like the milky filters over the pixel sprites, and the pixel sprite artstyle clashes with how the rest of the scenes are lit. Either go full pixelart, or if you're going to try that 2.5D look of Octopath, then ditch the pixelart character sprites.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

these are just such absolute crimes

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I really, really liked the FF5 enemy art at least.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

jokes posted:

I really, really liked the FF5 enemy art at least.

Why are they so detailed when the pc's look like blurry messes tho

Its such a baffling decision

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

It's really bugging me how much empty screen there is behind the party. You don't need that much room for the back row!!

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

DrPossum posted:

these are just such absolute crimes

A Crime Hazard if you will. Hazardous to crime, you might say.

Iscar Matthias.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That screenshot of FFV is reminding me I love it when the 3D Final Fantasy bring back old monsters. The Zu in FFX is great.

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

stev posted:

Yet didn't she do the FF14 promo video/PotD save ui sprite work after that, which turned out fine? I don't live in her head to say for sure, but I think the bad scaling and 10+ years of associating 32x64 or higher with RPGMaker are doing a lot of work alongside a likely brief to emphasize the same features as the general phone market did.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Mega64 posted:

Is it worth buying the Switch versions of the mobile versions on sale, or would I be fine emulating the NES versions or some other remakes? Justt curious in case I actually decide to dive into the series (only played a bit of 5 and 9).

Personally, I'd go with the switch versions. A lot of QoL improvements thrown in. Might ask in the DQ thread if there are other versions out there that are better (or emulated easier).

NES versions are fine except for 2. Even then, 2 isn't horrible--just absolutely stops messing around at the end. If you're into some old fashioned NES difficulty then you'll be fine.

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Playing FF V for the first time. Just a few hours in. This airship dungeon sucks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

mandatory lesbian posted:

Why are they so detailed when the pc's look like blurry messes tho

Its such a baffling decision

Look if they spent more than 30 seconds editing the FFD sprites then people might think SE put more than the bare minimum effort into the port.

Mega64 posted:

Is it worth buying the Switch versions of the mobile versions on sale, or would I be fine emulating the NES versions or some other remakes? Just curious in case I actually decide to dive into the series (only played a bit of 5 and 9).

I think 7, 9, and 11 are their highest sellers with dq3 selling close to 4 million copies when it first came out in 1988 and had people going nuts for it during launch.

The NES versions are fine* but the SFC versions of 1-3 are probably the best versions unless you really care about party chat enough to give up some extra gameplay (like the Pachisi boards in 3) and combat animations. I think the mobile/Switch versions of 2-3 are the same as the SFC versions minus some combat animations and a few things were removed for some reason while party chat(?) was added. DQ3 for SFC/mobile has at least one extra class that the NES version lacks. The NES versions have the better spell names and Thee/Thou translations instead of the dumb new spell names and forcing puns into everything.

* Except for DQ2. Do not play DQ2 on the NES regardless of what other versions you play. DQ2 for NES is extremely bad and the end game is just terrible. At the very least, in the remakes Return/Zoom works like it does it DQ3 and beyond which is reason enough to not play the NES version.