Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Thoughts after a few runs:

The game is "classless" but in practice the scarcity of skill points and the talent system really push you to double down on a specific playstyle.

The sound design is extremely good. Making the Crawl sprites "bounce" is a cheap trick but injects a surprising amount of life into the visuals.

Recruiting people is great. A lot of tabletop RPG archetypes don't really work in a solo game, and recruitable NPCs make them more viable. Wizards can hire melee tanks to keep enemies away from them. Fighters can recruit mages and bowmen to control crowds and pick off kiting enemies.

Playing a wizard in Zorbus is easier than in Crawl because you just focus one skill tree, rather than juggling multiple spell skills, mana and hunger, a spellcasting skill that governs mana and hunger, and a religion system that further modifies your spellcasting. The spells offer a choice between focusing on direct damage and buying utilities while your allies do the fighting. Making the spells feats does mean that some spells are just never going to get taken, due to the opportunity cost of not grabbing a must-have. Confuse is an extremely fun crowd control spell.

Giving the player blink and healing potions at the beginning of the game is a good move. Most roguelikes are actually harder at the very beginning than in supposedly dangerous mid and lategame areas, because the player hasn't collected any of the consumables to escape dangerous situations.

What is the intended use case of trap kits? I thought they were supposed to be something to throw behind you and escape pursuit, but they don't work when enemies are in line of sight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
After playing other games in this vein... I think I've come to the conclusion that I hate it.

For every neat thing it does, it really seems to want you to not have fun.

rojay
Sep 2, 2000

mellonbread posted:

What is the intended use case of trap kits? I thought they were supposed to be something to throw behind you and escape pursuit, but they don't work when enemies are in line of sight.

There's a "yell" command that apparently can draw enemies to you, so you can plan for their approach if you know where they are in advance. That would be tricky to pull off because if you can see them, generally they can see you. But you can also apply a trap to a closed door, though, so yelling to aggro enemies into opening the door and setting off the trap may be the best use of them. I may just start dropping them behind me at intersections as I progress through a level, too. I think that you can see them clearly if you set them, so can avoid them if you have to backtrack. Auto-explore should avoid them, I think?

Having said that, while I like the game a lot, the 1.0 version of Solasta is more likely to hold my attention for the next few weeks. I don't have a lot of time to game and it'll probably take me that long to complete it.

rojay fucked around with this message at 16:10 on May 28, 2021

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017

rojay posted:

There's a "yell" command that apparently can draw enemies to you, so you can plan for their approach if you know where they are in advance. That would be tricky to pull off because if you can see them, generally they can see you. But you can also apply a trap to a closed door, though, so yelling to aggro enemies into opening the door and setting off the trap may be the best use of them. I may just start dropping them behind me at intersections as I progress through a level, too. I think that you can see them clearly if you set them, so can avoid them if you have to backtrack. Auto-explore should avoid them, I think?
Trapping doors is a nice idea. It would be a good endpoint to the common scenario where you open a door, see a hostile monster on the other side, and immediately close it to break line of sight, then wait for the monster to come to you.

zorbus posted:

Creatures can now set up traps when they're fleeing from you.
Can those creatures set the traps even while in line of sight of the player? If so then IMO the player should have the same ability. Part of the whole Roguelike concept is for players and NPCs to interact with the environment in roughly similar ways. Plus it would make traps more useful and fun.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

Trapping doors is a nice idea. It would be a good endpoint to the common scenario where you open a door, see a hostile monster on the other side, and immediately close it to break line of sight, then wait for the monster to come to you.
Can those creatures set the traps even while in line of sight of the player? If so then IMO the player should have the same ability. Part of the whole Roguelike concept is for players and NPCs to interact with the environment in roughly similar ways. Plus it would make traps more useful and fun.
The player can set traps when hostile creatures can't see him ("'?" over their tile), even if he can see them. Monsters can set up traps when they can't see the player or other hostile creatures, and the player can't see them.

Release 48 (29-May-2021)
  • Added navimap and map preview to the level loot screen. It now shows a path to the item. (thanks to Cadex Emu for the idea)
  • New companion behavior: Regroup. When in this behavior, companions try to stay close to you, melee attack only nearby creatures, use ranged attacks or talents against distant creatures, and blink away only if surrounded. In the default follow-behavior, companions move around more, and when fleeing try to move to a nearby area or blink away.
  • Related new setting: "Companion auto regroup-behavior", on by default. Companions will automatically enter regroup-behavior from follow-behavior when they need to flee, trying to move towards you. Does not affect animated, summoned or charmed companions.
  • Related new setting: "Companion auto follow-behavior", on by default. Companions will automatically enter follow-behavior from regroup-behavior when in full Health, in at least half Stamina, and no hostile creatures have been seen for some time. This affects only companions that have automatically entered the regroup-behavior (see the setting above).
  • Companion list is now shown also on top of the "items on ground" list in the right sidepanel (thanks to Cadex Emu for the idea). Valuable (sellable) items are now on top of the list.
  • Added a new command: "(Toggle) mundane ground items in sidepanel" with default binding (CTRL) + (BACKSPACE). Toggles showing mundane (non-sellable) ground items in the sidepanel. If mundane items are not shown in the panel, they're listed in the log, ensuring that quickslots stay visible.
  • Continuous resting won't start if you're poisoned.
  • Summoning traps set by the player should now be more useful as the summoned creature now attacks also other creatures that hate the player instead of just the trap springer.
  • Disabling your own traps is now always successful (and you get the trapkit back).
  • Creature wiggle is now asynchronous by default, controlled by "Wiggle synchronous" in the settings. (thanks to Lagi for the idea)
  • Hopefully at least reduced the low health / poisoned flashing frame flickering that happened when you used mouse / controller.
  • Hopefully fixed a controller error. (thanks to Renan for reporting)
  • Fixed controller sensitivity when entering side panel.
  • Added a note to (F)ire-mode's help-text: "A friendly creature needs to be manually targeted". So if you want to make a shoot or reach attack against a friendly creature, you need to manually target it. Cycling targets does not select friendly creatures.
  • Replaced Homepage-button with a Zorbupedia-button in the main menu.
  • Zorbupedia talent list is sorted to boost/combat/spell/utility-talents.
  • Added better explanation for (CTRL) + (TAB) to the help text in the inventory-list. The command changes the inventory list type: When looting stuff from the ground or from a container, use it to switch to your equipment & backpack, and vice versa. When exchanging items to a companion, use it to get to your or your companion's equipment & backpack (depending on which side is active).
  • Also remember: (F11) to switch companion in inventory-lists. (CTRL) + (E) to enter exchange-mode from your equipment & backpack -list. You can enter exchange-mode with a controller by pressing right thumbstick in personal inventory.
  • Several typos and errors in item/creature descriptions fixed. (thanks to Cadex Emu for reporting)

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Something odd happened on my last run, not sure if it's a bug or working as intended. A succubus followed me through the portal into the shopping plane. The bouncer and the iron golems just ignored her, but the adventurers from previous floors attacked her. I was in bad shape so I went back through the portal into the dungeon rather than duke it out. Later when I came back into the shop, she had summoned some demons and killed most of the guests at the inn. The golems and bouncer still had no interest in fighting them, but the recruitable NPCs were still peppering the demons with arrows. Maybe they only care about the player stealing stuff, but it feels like security should have attacked the demons.

This was release 47 of the game.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

Something odd happened on my last run, not sure if it's a bug or working as intended. A succubus followed me through the portal into the shopping plane. The bouncer and the iron golems just ignored her, but the adventurers from previous floors attacked her. I was in bad shape so I went back through the portal into the dungeon rather than duke it out. Later when I came back into the shop, she had summoned some demons and killed most of the guests at the inn. The golems and bouncer still had no interest in fighting them, but the recruitable NPCs were still peppering the demons with arrows. Maybe they only care about the player stealing stuff, but it feels like security should have attacked the demons.
That is actually intended. Everything is not as it seems in the shop level.

Pro-tip: Never lure tomb raiders from the dungeon to the shopping plane.

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Where can I download older versions of Zorbus? I want to go back to v46 and then probably just never update from there. The game only become more tedious and less fun now with these recent changes, I guess you're catering to a different crowd now? Like how DCSS did... Oh well.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Im_Special posted:

Where can I download older versions of Zorbus? I want to go back to v46 and then probably just never update from there. The game only become more tedious and less fun now with these recent changes, I guess you're catering to a different crowd now? Like how DCSS did... Oh well.
The previous versions were way too easy.

Here's r46:
http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus_r46.zip

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

zorbus posted:

The previous versions were way too easy.

Here's r46:
http://www.zorbus.net/Zorbus_r46.zip

That's always the last thing a roguelike dev says before their game becomes bad

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
Famous last words indeed.

Guess I'll need to turn in my Casual "just want to chill out and have some fun and not try-hard every single turn" Badge now. Just got that polished too, FML.

Thanks for the link.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 49 (05-Jun-2021)
  • Added some post-processing to the field of view -algorithm for better corner wall exploration.
  • Made some optimizations to autoexplore.
  • Fixed a bug where some throwable weapons without reach (hand axe, dagger, etc.) still could be thrown with the (R)-command when distance was 2, even if not of returning-type.
  • Distances to items in blocked areas are listed in red in level loot list. Blocked areas also drawn in red in the minimap of that screen.
  • Autotargeting for ranged attacks and talents (the red and yellow corners around creatures) tries first to target a non-summoned creature.
  • New setting: "Autoammo uses anchoring & withering", on by default. If this setting is enabled, autoammo uses anchoring and withering ammunition automatically. Anchoring is used against creatures that can blink away with a talent (usually spellcasters). Withering is used only against unique creatures.
  • Companions now use anchoring and withering ammunition automatically. So you can now give anchoring ammo to companions who will then shoot them at those annoying blinking spellcasters.
  • Companions won't go to blocked areas to pick up items.
  • Creatures summoned from traps set by the player won't get angry at player's companions.
  • Traps won't be created on containers that are automatically opened / peeked (empty barrels and cauldrons, or barrels and cauldrons with only bones or corpses in them).
http://www.zorbus.net

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
Got a wizard all the way down to Drowtown. Died against the boss Drow when she one-shot me with a magic spell. It was totally avoidable, I could have grabbed stone skin instead of one of those direct damage spells I never used. And if I gave up another I could have had web, which would pair perfectly with acid cloud. I didn't realize until enemies started casting it that it actually impedes skills and magic as well as movement, meaning it would help a lot against those herds of company mercs.

Is there a way to target mimics? I had enough perception that I basically always spotted them, but when I tried to hit them with energy bolt I couldn't seem to target them. Maybe acid cloud would have worked better...

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

mellonbread posted:

Is there a way to target mimics? I had enough perception that I basically always spotted them, but when I tried to hit them with energy bolt I couldn't seem to target them. Maybe acid cloud would have worked better...
Not directly. You'd have to use something like Fire Ball or Ice Storm talent / wand with a directly damaging area effect, and even then can not place it directly over the mimic. Until the mimic reveals itself, it is handled as a furniture in the game code. Have to think about some solution.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 50 (25-Jun-2021)
  • An alternate grid path for ranged targeting is now calculated and used if the first path is blocked. Also affects reach attacks and Charge-talent. Ranged attacks should now be symmetric, meaning that if creature A can target creature B, B can also target A. There are still some cases where you can see a creature but can't target it. Ranged attacks use Bresenham's line drawing routine to traverse grids, while the field of view algorithm does not.
  • New command: Continuous autoexplore, default key (CTRL) + (E). Keeps exploring until a hostile creature is seen, something is detected, a trap is sprung, or until the whole dungeon level is explored. Can not be used when in low Health (controlled with "Health flash percentage threshold" from the settings).
  • New command: Autopilot to next unlooted container, default key (CTRL) + (C). You can now autopilot to next unlooted container directly from the main game mode.
  • Autopilot-screen shows the contents of peeked containers when the cursor is on them.
  • Lidless / opened containers are automatically marked as peeked when an area is fully explored, unless the area has creatures that get gradually more hostile. Peeked means that you know the contents of the container.
  • Hopefully fixed a bug where the autopilot-screen displayed wrong amount of unlooted containers. (thanks to Mkok for mentioning)
  • Fixed a bug where encumbrance wasn't recalculated in all cases where items were picked up. (thanks to Nopenope for mentioning)
  • Die Hard talent now heals the same amount as Health Surge. (thanks to Mkok for mentioning)
  • Limited the amount of simultaneous similar sound effects when looting or dropping big amount of items, and in some other cases as well.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 51 (24-Jul-2021)
  • Not so much new stuff in this release, but had to make a full release after some structural changes to data files.
  • Fixed a bug where alternate paths to target were not properly calculated at distance 2 (affected reach attacks among others).
  • Resting does not start if creatures that get gradually hostile are seen.
  • You can now drop items from your or your companion's inventory when exchanging items.
  • Creatures with lightsources waiting in ambush no longer lit wall tiles until the ambush is sprung.
  • Lots of small tweaks.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I gave this game a try for the first time last night and I am really enjoying it. I find it quite challenging. Until my most recent attempt, I was not even able to secure a good percentage of Dungeon Level 1. I had to get into the habit of managing group fights more effectively, use stealth to avoid dangerous situations, and honestly had to get a little lucky.

My current run I'm playing a Tiefling Warrior. I managed to luck into a Spear+1, which is the first +1 item I have found in the game thus far. On the same run, I also found a Scroll of Vampire Weapon and a switch room that secured me a couple of undead followers. That has been a major boon. Now I'm nearly done exploring DL1 and check out the Carrillo dimension or whatever.

This captures the dungeon crawling experience that I favor really well. It feels just streamlined enough and has a lot of interesting options that are easy to understand. I don't know how to describe it really, I just enjoy the dangers and options I have here more than in other Roguelikes I have played. It's like DCSS except it's really fun and interesting.

The books and rooms are awesome. The whole game has a mythical feeling that makes me feel absorbed. It's pretty much how I would want to run a dungeon crawl adventure in Pathfinder or something. The factions make sense, the switch and throne rooms really add a sense of purpose to the lairs... I don't know, it's just good! I think I'm going to get a lot of playtime out of my pursuit of demigodhood.

EDIT: One problem I'm having is I can't seem to figure out how to take advantage of reach. When I approach an enemy with a Spear, I still end up needing to get in its face.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

100 degrees Calcium posted:

EDIT: One problem I'm having is I can't seem to figure out how to take advantage of reach. When I approach an enemy with a Spear, I still end up needing to get in its face.

Check tutorial page 6:

When a creature is marked with red corners, you can reach (or ranged) attack it with (R). The active weapon frame on the left is also red when reach/ranged attack is possible.
(A)utoattack also takes advantage of reach.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

I am shamed! :negative: I swear I read over everything. I just missed it somehow. Thank you so much. I think your game is great and honestly it's making me want to try my hand at working on a roguelike.

Just need to learn to read documentation first! :eng101:

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 52 (06-Sep-2021)
  • Fixed a bug where animated skeletons would needlessly pick up several armors and shields. (thanks to Faeren for reporting)
  • Level-wide anchor/wither-effects are removed when you go to another dungeon level / Carillo. (thanks to nopenope for reporting)
  • Golems and clones are no longer counted as real recruits when maximum number of recruits based on Spirit-ability is determined. (thanks to nopenope for suggesting)
  • Holy Burst talent is disabled in quickslots and talents list if there are no evil creatures seen. Same for the wand.
  • Some devices, mostly wands, are disabled in quickslots and inventory if they can't be used (for example, a wand might affect seen hostiles, but is disabled if none is seen).
  • Health bars under creatures are now framed with black, making them stand out more. (thanks to Namsan for suggesting)
  • New setting: White Health bars under friendly creatures. If enabled, Health bars under friendly creatures are white instead of green. Might help to distinguish friendly creatures from hostile creatures if you are suffering from red-green color blindness. (thanks to Namsan for suggesting)
  • Clicking left mouse button on a distant hostile creature no longer throws a throwable weapon unless it's of returning-type.
  • Clicking left mouse button on a distant hostile creature now respects the "Attack marked auto swaps to shooting set" setting, meaning that if the setting is enabled, and passive weapon set has a shooting weapon, then weapon set is swapped.
  • Fixed several characters in in-game books and help texts, that caused odd characters in some non-English Windows-versions. (thanks to Namsan for reporting)
  • http://building.zorbus.net has a roguelike development related "book" in PDF-format called "Building Zorbus one brick at a time".
Big thanks to Maximum Break (Gidon) and Another Dying (Jay) for making YouTube let's play videos of the game!
Another Dying: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLt8DIPRtpvB6Na5aBXH6ZIbMb0XDG6xdg
Maximum Break: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL7yHTTOjLsXkZn7t5Qsuc3wcGXT8vjHii

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 53 (19-Sep-2021)
  • New talent: Expert Trapper. Normally you can set traps to nearby tiles only, but with this talent you can set traps traps on tiles up to distance 3. Setting a trap never fails and takes only half the time it would normally take to set. Traps set by you are harder to avoid, and possible damage or duration is increased by 50%. You will also gain a +4 bonus to Disable-checks when disabling traps.
  • New talent: Expert Enchanter. Normally you can safely enchant an item with 3 enchantments, and every enchantment point above 3 decreases the enchantment chance by 15 percentage points. Plusses, extra elemental damage points, holy-/returning-/vampiric-properties, and on-hit effects count as enchantments. With this talent you can enchant items safely without any restrictions. Tieflings get this talent automatically.
  • New item: Scroll of Disjunction. This scroll separates enchantments from the main-hand weapon of the active weapon set into separate enchantment scrolls. Even if the weapon has several plusses, only one Scroll of Enchant Weapon is created. Sentient weapons are not affected.
  • New item: Elixir of Ability. Increases a random ability score. Only available in shops, restocked every now and then.
  • Non-unique armor, shields, and weapons in shops are a bit cheaper now.
  • Fixed a bug where companions would just drop a better item after you gave it to them through item exchange. Reminder: Companions won't change equipped items that are set by the player in companions' equipment lists. Ammunition is an exception.
  • Trap tweaks. Fixed a bug where no dialog was opened when you walked on a known floor trap that was on a tile with an opened door. You can now safely walk on floor traps set by you (the dialog is still opened). Reminder: in some situations you may want to intentionally spring a known trap, for example Animate, Confusion, Dismiss, Summon, or Anchoring traps. If you spring your own Animate or Summon trap, then the created creatures will be friendly towards you, and attack creatures that are hostile towards you. Animated creatures without a master will eventually turn hostile against everyone.
  • Fixed some grammar mistakes and typos.

zorbus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Sep 19, 2021

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Release 54 (21-Sep-2021)
  • Fixed a severe bug in character generation. (thanks to David Mortin for reporting)
  • Scrolls of Disjunction are now generated only in shops. You're guaranteed to find 2 scrolls.
  • Scroll of Disjunction now shows a preview of possible disjunction results (a list of scrolls that will be created).
Release 54 - Patch 1 (30-Sep-2021)
  • Note: Your save files should work after the patch, but make a backup of the save folder before updating!
  • Fixed a bug that prevented using stairs / teleporters. (thanks to Zero and Synth for reporting)
Release 54 - Patch 2 (10-Oct-2021)
  • Fixed a bug where a creature was marked as caught in a web / slime even when escaped the map effect.
  • Fixed a bug where a creature was marked as poisoned even when the effect had ended.
  • Creatures are cured from poison and disease after using Die Hard or a life saving item.
  • You can now displace creatures from a cloud map effect.
  • You can now swap places with an animated or a summoned party member or a recruited golem from a harmful map effect.
  • New character archetype: infernal (tiefling).

Im_Special
Jan 2, 2011

Look At This!!! WOW!
It's F*cking Nothing.
And here I thought Zorbus was one of the polished ones...

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Release 55 (12-Aug-2022)
  • Resting until healed took quite a while in late game when you had hundreds of Health points. Optimized to be at least a bit faster.
  • Companion tactics. You can now command a companion to prefer ranged tactics instead of the default tactics. Ranged tactics means that the companion tries to maintain distance to hostiles and use mostly ranged weapons. Default tactics uses both melee and ranged weapons, and wont't try to maintain distance to hostiles. Ranged tactics is indicated with a "R" letter on the companion image in the companion list. Default key for changing tactics is ALT + 1 - 9 (companion number) or ALT + 0 to change tactics of all companions.
  • You can use "ranged attack and retreat" tactics if you set behavior to REGROUP and tactics to RANGED on all characters. Can be very useful in some situations, like when retreating from a group of oozes that would otherwise destroy the party with their acid attacks.
  • Companions follow the player better in corridors. Companions no longer try to follow the player / chase enemies through unexplored areas.
  • New talent: "Seeker Shots". With this talent you can target anything that you see within your shooting weapon's range. There's a -3 modifier to attack per each obstacle in the line of fire. Can not be used with Dualshot or Multishot.
  • Tweaked autoammo a bit, so that regular or everlasting ammunition will be used against creatures with a "harmless" or "mostly harmless" challenge rating. There was a small bug in the previous implementation and it didn't take challenge rating into account, so autoammo would waste better ammo on harmless creatures. Autoammo can be toggled with CTRL + Q.
  • Hoopak can be used for reach attacks and shoot attacks. If the DPR of the shoot attack is higher than the DPR of a reach attack, then a shoot attack is made when distance to target is 2 (or at distance 1-2 if you have the "Close Combat Ranged" talent).
  • The area of effect of "Chain Lightning" talent and wand changed to "chain". Targets can now try to dodge the effect.
  • Dodging vs spell damage now takes the spellcaster's Magic-skill into account. The higher the caster's Magic-skill is, the more difficult the spell is to dodge.
  • Removed kick attack from playable character races. Unarmed fighting isn't really a thing for the player character, and previously punch + kick attacks in the beginning of the game were more powerful than most weapons.
  • You can see skill and talent progression when you mouse over the Mind-ability in the character sheet.
  • In-game Zorbupedia has a talent progression table in the talents info section.
  • Changed weapon enchantment a bit:
    • You can now safely enchant a weapon with 4 enchantments, and every enchantment point above 4 decreases the enchantment chance by 15 percentage points. Plusses, extra elemental damage points, holy-/returning-/vampiric-properties, and on-hit effects count as enchantments.
    • With the "Expert Enchanter" talent you can now safely enchant weapons with 9 enchantments. Every enchantment point above 9 decreases the enchantment chance by 15 percentage points. This talent enables armor enchanting without any restrictions.
    • You can no longer enchant a weapon with a "Scroll of (element) Weapon)" if the weapon already has that damage element.
  • New enchant scroll: Scroll of Returning Shield. You need the "Shield Bash" talent to throw a returning shield.
  • New item: Carillo Express Card. Included in the items from the "Silver Spoon" talent. With the card, you will automatically get discount from the regular shops in Carillo. The card has charges which can be used to teleport the party to the Carillo teleporter. The card vanishes once the charges run out.
  • New item: "Unearthed Arcana" book (Halaster's diary) has finally some content. Some new text added to "Dungeon Master's Guide" as well.
  • New item: Wand of Wind. Conjures forth a strong gust of wind, which extinguishes lightsources and disperses cloud effects in 15 tile radius. Environment lightsources (torches, braziers, etc.) and lightsources carried by creatures are affected. Creatures whose lightsources are extinguished won't be able to relight them for a small duration (10-15 rounds).
  • New item: Arrow of Extinguishing / Bullet of Extinguishing. Ammunition that can extinguish lightsources. Environment lightsources (torches, braziers, etc.) and lightsources carried by creatures can be targeted. A creature whose lightsource is extinguished won't be able to relight it for a small duration (10-15 rounds). If you have enabled autoammo then this ammunition will be automatically chosen when the target cursor is on an environment lightsource.
  • New character archetype (quickstart character type): "Noble". Has the "Silver Spoon" talent which includes the new Carillo Express card.
  • Small adjustments to character archetypes.
  • Some new monsters. The nastiest new one probably is the "Sentinel", which on a successful hit teleports the target to the most dangerous location on the level.
  • The magic lamp djinni's inventory has now ammunition and some random devices (wands, horns, figurines). The djinni's inventory is different on each summoning, so you might have only one chance to buy certain items.
  • Companion / monster AI tweaks.
  • Death splash animation on by defaut. If you want the old skull death animation, uncheck "Death splash animation" from the settings. Several new death splash animations added.
  • Fixed a bug where items from the "Silver Spoon" talent weren't always created.
  • Fixed a bug where the rising indicator text was rendered over a wrong creature tile.
  • Fixed a rare bug where the dungeon level was completely explored, but no XP award for exploration was given.
  • Lots of other small tweaks here and there.
  • Leaderboard has been reset. The previous leaderboard can be found here.
Finally wrote some text to Halaster's diary, you can read it online here. Spoilers obviously!

www.zorbus.net

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
Cool! I always forget about games I don't have in steam. I know it's a personal failing and you can put non steam games in steam but I just never end up doing that.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
Great! I'm looking forwards to it on Steam.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Cool, wishlisted. I'll happily support you and buy this on steam.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
The game is now available on Steam at https://store.steampowered.com/app/2125420/Zorbus/.

Release 56 (14-Sep-2022)
  • The game can now be found on Steam.
    • Steam version has currently 20 achievements: https://steamcommunity.com/stats/2125420/achievements.
    • You can take screenshots to game library with F12.
    • Possible future tournaments can be played with the Steam version only.
    • Steam overlay is not possible because the game doesn't use DirectX or OpenGL.
  • Changed some of the default keybindings:
    • Screenshot: from [CTRL] + [F5] to [F12].
    • Mapshot: from [CTRL] + [F6] to [CTRL] + [F12].
    • Quickslot manager: from [F12] to [CTRL] + [ENTER] or [DEL].
    • Item compare in inventory / shop: from [F12] to [INS] or [CTRL] + [BACKSPACE].
  • Tiefling's Fire Ray talent's damage changed to: fire: 2d4 + 1 per 2 levels. Difficulty to dodge the effect now scales with the tiefling's level.
  • Companions who are separated from the player behind unexplored tiles no longer group themselves around the player after autoexplore finishes.
  • Removed device use checks from wands. Now using wands is always successful.
  • Fixed a bug where some possessed creatures like dragons could not open doors. All possessed creatures can now open non-locked doors.
  • Elixir of Cloning is dimmed in inventory if you already have a clone in your party. Cloning chambers won't clone you if one already exists.
  • Effects from sitting on a throne and drinking from a well now last longer.
  • New item: Scroll of Darkvision. This scroll enchants the currently equipped armor to grant the wearer darkvision of 7 tiles.
  • Added darkvision-property to some of the existing items: Shadow Dragon Scale Armor, Night Club, Nightbringer.
  • Renamed "Kit of Dimensional Anchor trap" to "Kit of Anchoring trap", and changed the effect to target only the creature that sprung the trap (was a level-wide effect previously).
  • Renamed "Kit of Necrotic Field trap" to "Kit of Withering trap", and changed the effect to target only the creature that sprung the trap (was a level-wide effect previously).
  • New trapkits: Acid, Sonic Burst.
  • Fixed a bug in field of view postprocessing: sometimes it revealed wall torches of unexplored areas.
  • Some new content, lore, and dialogue added.

Helical Nightmares
Apr 30, 2009
SplatterCat, an indy game youtube streamer, reviewed Zorbus yesterday https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT-nBnwuahs. Congratulations Zorbus!

Got the Steam copy and spend my first half an hour feeding Zorbuscites into unfortunate deaths on level one. Finally got lucky and found a Tower Shield with Studded Armor on level one and now I'm rolling on level two with four companions. They are a couple of centaurs, a ranged elf and a paladin.

zorbus posted:

Release 56 (14-Sep-2022)
  • Possible future tournaments can be played with the Steam version only.

Excited for this because I missed the Christmas tournament due to being super busy.

zorbus posted:

• Companions who are separated from the player behind unexplored tiles no longer group themselves around the player after autoexplore finishes.

So lost companions don't teleport to you after autoexplore finishes?

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Helical Nightmares posted:

So lost companions don't teleport to you after autoexplore finishes?
Yes, lost companions stay at their place until the map is explored enough that there's a path from the companion to the player.

For tournaments, the game needs a new scoring system. Currently it's just experience points = score. Lone wolvers get a huge advantage versus those who use companions a lot. Any ideas are welcome!

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

The game is now on sale on Steam, 25% off.

There's a tournament with Amazon / Steam gift card prizes ($50, $25, $25) coming in December, see more at tournament.zorbus.net.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

• Find the 3 books (This is the Zordiac speaking, vol. I-III), solve the cipher. First one to solve it will get a $50 Steam gift card as a reward!
  • When reading books, press TAB to switch between the script font and a plain font. Book text can be copied into the clipboard with CTRL + C.
  • Check this webpage to see if anyone has yet solved this: www.zorbus.net/cipher.txt.
  • Mail the solution to joonas@zorbus.net.
Game can be found on Steam. 25% off.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
June 2023 update is out.

25% off on Steam

• Some new options during character creation:
    • Spirited Learner is a talent that can be chosen only on the 1st experience level and only during ability adjustment. It costs 1 talent point.
      • You might not be the smartest but you sure are spirited. You learn new things by hard work and sheer determination. With this talent, Spirit-ability is used for skill and talent point progression instead of Mind. Note that even with this talent, Magic- and Search -skills still retain Mind as their key ability, and all spell talents have a Mind requirement. Mind of at least 6 is needed to be able to read.
    • When using the point buy -system for ability scores, you can trade 5 points for 1 talent.

• New talent: Bloodlust.
    • When you kill a creature with a melee or a ranged attack, your Stamina gets restored by 10% of your max Stamina, and you gain a temporary 1d4 point boost to your Body-ability for 11-20 rounds. The ability effect does not stack with other temporary ability effects. Half-orcs get this for free.

• New talent: Holy Warrior.
    • Spiritual upbringing enables you to channel holiness to attacks against evil-aligned creatures. 1 point of holy-damage is added to melee and ranged attacks. The damage is increased to 1d2 once you reach experience level 12 and your adjusted Spirit-ability is at least 16. Only evil-aligned creatures are affected. Holy damage is doubled against most undead creatures. Stacks with holy damage from weapons and from temporary effects.

• New talent: One with Darkness.
    • You have an extraordinary knack to be fully functional in complete darkness. You gain darkvision of 8 tiles, +3 to Stealth-checks when trying to remain unseen in darkness, +5 to perception checks to detect creatures in darkness, +5 to attack rolls against creatures that don't see you (stacks with the normal +10 bonus, also a bonus to score critical hits). When you score a critical hit, you do 25% extra damage (stacks with the base 50% extra from critical hits and extras from other sources). Can only be taken on the 1st experience level.

• New talent: Veil of Darkness.
    • When activated, you emit a burst of darkness which extinguishes seen lightsources within 15 tile radius. Environment lightsources (torches, braziers, etc.) and lightsources carried by creatures are affected. Creatures whose lightsources are extinguished won't be able to relight them for a small duration (10-15 rounds).

• Melee Elemental Damage / Ranged Elemental Damage talents: These now scale with experience level.

• Stonesense talent: You'll get +1 to Search-checks when trying to detect secret doors, +2 to Search-checks when trying to detect living statues. Recruitable rogue saints (living statues) are stronger when you have this talent.

• Changes to the companion list on the upper right corner:
    • Shows max 20 companions.
    • Added keys for commanding companions 10-20 individually.
    • Some of the commanding keys have changed!
    • INS or F11 toggles the list.
    • CTRL + INS or CTRL + F11 toggles the viewing of expendable companions (constructs, animated, summoned, charmed).
    • CTRL + number to command companions 1-10, CTRL + F1-F10 to command companions 11-20.
    • DEL or NUMPAD_0 to command all companions.
    • CTRL + DEL or CTRL + NUMPAD_0 to command all expendable companions (constructs, animated, summoned, charmed).
    • You can use mouse wheel up / down to hide / show the list.

• Rogue saints are no longer counted as real recruits, they're grouped with golems as "constructs".

• Companion options:
    • On the second page of a companion's character sheet are some options to control more of the companion's behavior. Currently just one: you can set an option that a companion won't animate or summon creatures.

• New item: Orb of Nullifying.
    • This orb creates a nullifying field that removes a group of resistances from all creatures on the dungeon level for the duration of the effect. The nullifying affects randomly either physical (blunt, pierce, slash) or elemental (fire / cold / lightning / acid) resistances. Only one nullifying field can be active at a time.

• Some changes and clarifications to critical hits:
    • A critical hit does 50% more damage. Affects all damage element types (physical, cold, fire, etc.).
    • Improved Melee Criticals and Improved Ranged Criticals talents add an extra 25%.
    • One with Darkness talent adds an extra 25% if the defender can not see the attacker.
    • If the defender is sleeping, critical hits do 100% extra damage, but this does not stack with above modifiers.

• Some changes and clarifications to stealth:
    • If the defender can not see the attacker, the attacker gets a +10 attack bonus. One with Darkness talent adds an extra +5.
    • If the defender is sleeping, the attack roll for melee attacks is an automatic 20, ranged attacks get a +10 attack bonus.
    • After an attack made from a neighboring tile, an unseen attacker is always marked visible to the defender. For attacks made from distant tiles, a Search vs Stealth skill check is made to determine if an unseen attacker is seen. A spotted creature can move to a new position to try to gain stealth again.

• Added some new mouse commands to the inventory screen: changing between companions, switch between equipment / inventory etc. These can be activated by left / right clicking the inventory list title bars. See tooltips for more info.

• Creatures flash in blue when they heal themselves.

• Good and neutral aligned creatures get 99 holy-resistance, making damage output in the log more consistent to other element types. Previously the holy-element was simply zeroed if the defending creature was not evil.

• Fixed an inconsistency in logged damage calculations that occured when a creature died, so that the damage element calculations make sense. Previously you could see something like "...and kill it! (Blunt: 1 = 4 - res 1)". Now you'll see "(Blunt: 1 = 2 - res 1)"

• Fixed a bug where the autosave wasn't deleted when the game was won. (thanks to Lights for mentioning)

• Keybindings have changed. This release should automatically reset them to the defaults, but if it doesn't, do so from the keybindings menu.

• The command "Toggle low health warning" in the WASD-keys -preset now defaults to CTRL+H. Previous CTRL+W was in conflict with "continuous walk to north".

• Added 44 new Steam achievements for a total of 64. (thanks to ZeroAffex and Lights for ideas!)

• Tutorial and PDF manual updated. PDF manual now has descriptions of all talents.

• Small changes to sound effects.

• The leaderboard has been reset. The old leaderboard is here: http://wins.zorbus.net/r58/.

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

Now 30% off on Steam

Changelog

zorbus fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jun 29, 2023

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

A 400+ page sketch art & lore book for the game. Art is AI generated, sketchy style.

Contents, more sample images, and a PDF download here:
lore.zorbus.net

Online flipbook:
lore.zorbus.net/flipbook/

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020

In this tournament anyone can win!
  • $50 Steam / Amazon eGift Card for the ascended Overgod with the highest score.
  • $25 Steam / Amazon eGift Card for the ascended God with the highest score.
  • $25 Steam / Amazon eGift Card for the fastest ascension.
  • $10 Steam / Amazon eGift Card for a wildcard winner each week.
The weekly wildcard winner is chosen randomly from all players who have played that week.

To make a wildcard entry, your character needs to level up to at least experience level 3, and have a higher score or more experience points than any of your previous characters during the tournament. Characters that reach the endgame are always included in the wildcard draw.

Wildcard prize can be won only once per player.

Rules and more info here: tournament.zorbus.net

Game was just updated to release 60, changelog here.

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Got this yesterday. Seems very neat! I'm very bad at it still, only made it to the early dungeon levels, but slowly learning. The sprite wobbling trick seems like a very efficient way to make the static sprite graphics much more lively with very little effort.

So far, dual wielding or magic seem to be by far the best combat options (maybe it changes later?). You get ganged up on all the time, especially with most mobs running away, so shields etc. just delay the inevitable & I've never managed to make archery work at all besides just tagging runaways. If you can add static damage bonuses (holy warrior, elemental melee attacks, enchants..) dual wielding gets even better, especially since the static bonuses seem to work best on higher speed weapons (+1 damage to every hit is much better on a fast onehander than a slow twohander).

And speaking of runaway mobs, holy poo poo is it annoying. I get that it's "realistic" (though I don't see why that would be a priority) and I know there's the option to turn it off, but this is the default setting so I'll take it as how the game is supposed to be experienced. Running after every single goddamn enemy Benny Hill-style makes the most of your playtime be just that, which is a ludicrous idea. It's deeply un-fun, which is why I'm tempted to always play tieflings so at least on the early levels I can just try to ping them down with the free fire bolt they get. Enemies that teleport away are even worse. Is this intended to be irritating?

Still getting to grips with the talent system, like spells taking up talent points; this basically forces wizardly types to pick up energy bolt to survive early on and I imagine it gets completely outclassed & becomes useless later so that point is dead and gone. I guess focusing on the mind stat also gives you more points, so it might balance out.

EDIT: Also like a lot how at least so far the game sticks to small numbers. 1 stat point or damage increase can feel significant. I hate the zillion damage number-bloat of modern ARPGs etc.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Feb 6, 2024

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
Made it to Zorbus! Tried beating one of the gods, but apparently I picked a bad one (the war god). I must have chugged hundreds of potions and tried every wand etc. I had, but couldn't really hurt him. Shame, until that point everything else died really easily. In the end I just ran around all of the secret rooms letting everything in there out, but nothing else could do anything to the god either, so that was that.

The game seems to have a very, very inverse difficulty curve. The first level is by far the hardest, then levels 2-3, and the last ones are ridiculously easy if you're still alive. I cleared every level and killed every unique, and the later levels were pretty much just autoexplore -> bump monster until it's dead -> autoexplore, with the exception of liches etc. that needed anchoring to not teleport away. The big 4-tile dragon was neat, but he never hit me once.

As for stats, looks like mind is the go-to. I made a melee character with 16 mind at start & took soothing solitude so I could bump it to 18, just to get a talent every level. By the end I had all of the talents I could want so I just picked random spells, and something like 18 base melee skill. Enemies running away constantly got a lot less annoying once I had charge & basically endless consumables. Gold loses all meaning at about midgame, by the end I had almost 40k and had bought everything I wanted (I killed the shopkeepers afterwards anyway, just to see what happens).

Still, fun game! The balance needs some tuning & maybe having alternate paths to the end (differently themed "forks" like in DCSS) could liven it up a little without making the game longer.

EDIT: Tried starting a new character and goddamn, the first levels are all over the place. I have greatly buffed stats from soothing solitude, and I can still easily die by the game just deciding so. Things can get lucky and instagib me in like 2 rounds, or I can just get surrounded by hostile packs in every direction and get bad blinks. If I survive past level 3 or so the game breaks and everything is so easy again, since I actually have tools to use and I don't die in 2 hits. It's very strangely balanced. Maybe the intended playstyle is to spam companions? I can't be arsed to deal with pet AI so I'll pass on that.

Dropbear fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Feb 8, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zorbus
Feb 12, 2020
Thanks for the feedback!

Yeah, I'm not happy with the current state of the game, and I'm trying to adjust the balance in future updates. It's just so drat hard to get it right. I want it to be equally playable with a solo character and with companions.

Adding new stuff to the game often shifts the balance. Once you get your hands on better gear, ability increases etc., every stat gets boosted very fast.