Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

cinci zoo sniper posted:

i had small but important victory, speaking of, by successfully onboarding my mom into 1password

same op

unquestionably worth the increased cost of a family plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

ate poo poo on live tv posted:

i dont care about the untraceability of crypto, in fact i like it a lot. i do care about the huge waste of electricity and silicon hardware that is used to mine it and verify each transaction.

few pages back but bolded something very wrong. crypto is deliberately and trivially traceable.

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

i was going to assume the Colonial Pipeline ransom was paid in Monero or Zcash but nope, they also take Bitcoin.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is 1password the easiest password manager for boomers? Should I try to get my parents on it? (I'm not really looking forwarding to trying to manually import their free-form txt file of passwords but I guess I can deal with it if it will get them to stop using insecure passwords.)

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Diva Cupcake posted:

i was going to assume the Colonial Pipeline ransom was paid in Monero or Zcash but nope, they also take Bitcoin.

Computer over.

Your data stealed.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

mystes posted:

Is 1password the easiest password manager for boomers? Should I try to get my parents on it? (I'm not really looking forwarding to trying to manually import their free-form txt file of passwords but I guess I can deal with it if it will get them to stop using insecure passwords.)

it's certainly easier if you're the one installing it for them but yeah once it's there it's hard to gently caress it up

they even have videos on their website that explain everything

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

flakeloaf posted:

same op

unquestionably worth the increased cost of a family plan

mystes posted:

lastpass had a feature that allowed you to "securely" share a password with someone else. do bitwarden or 1password have this? I'm considering migrating to bitwarden, but being able to share netflix passwords and stuff without sending a txt or some cleartext poo poo would be nice

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

1Password supports shared password vaults.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
yeah it's good

brains
May 12, 2004

bitwarden too

Diva Cupcake
Aug 15, 2005

how did DarkSide gently caress up their wallet security for them to have it "recovered"?

or they gave it up voluntarily.

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1401969917633740801

Diva Cupcake fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Jun 7, 2021

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I was getting my mother in law squared away on a password manager last month. I walked her through the ui of 1password and dashlane to see which one she liked best and dashlane was much much better.

We ran into like a dozen confusing pain points with 1pass for some reason and dashlane had a much nicer "guided and on rails" setup experience for her.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Diva Cupcake posted:

how did DarkSide gently caress up their wallet security for them to have it "recovered"?

https://twitter.com/NatashaBertrand/status/1401969917633740801

sending in seal team six under cover of darkness to dig up the birdbath

seriously though it was probably either an insider or a rubber hose solution

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
Rubber Hose Cryptoanalysis

E: Goddamnit

mystes
May 31, 2006

I guess "oil" is the magic word you need to get the US government to help you?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Mr. Nice! posted:

few pages back but bolded something very wrong. crypto is deliberately and trivially traceable.

Something something tumblers

I got a "we have your password from 2009, send us $1000 in butts" spam and looked up the Bitcoin wallet out of curiosity. Apparently two people paid the random. Very disappointing.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

Volmarias posted:

Something something tumblers

Even tumblers and "privacy coins" are pretty trivial to trace through now - especially if there's a chain of transactions and it's not just one-offs from disposable wallets.

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Darkside got owned shortly after the attack, either by the feds seizing their servers or by them getting hacked. Here's some contemporary press but there's lots more: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/darkside-ransomware-servers-reportedly-seized-operation-shuts-down/

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
lmao
https://twitter.com/pinboard/status/1402005233870516227

klosterdev
Oct 10, 2006

Na na na na na na na na Batman!
So when's the fuel filter shortage starting

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

klosterdev posted:

So when's the fuel filter shortage starting

excuse you, they're "solvent traps" now

mystes
May 31, 2006

Is that like a liquidity trap?

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

RFC2324 posted:

lastpass had a feature that allowed you to "securely" share a password with someone else. do bitwarden or 1password have this? I'm considering migrating to bitwarden, but being able to share netflix passwords and stuff without sending a txt or some cleartext poo poo would be nice

bitwarden yes, but only via the family plan which is $40/year

I personally use bitwarden and like it and I think 1password has the same family plan thing, not sure on the price though

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
stole this from hn, ngl:

https://www.google.com/search?q=%22Learn+how+to+solve+a+Rubix+Cube+with+the+beginner+method%22

https://twitter.com/wrede/status/1402020525044547590

Rufus Ping
Dec 27, 2006

I'm a Friend of Rodney Nano
Nice

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

What's a "rubber hose solution"?

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

it means hitting someone with a rubber hose until they tell you the encryption key or whatever

Super Nintendo 64
Feb 18, 2012

Achmed Jones posted:

it means hitting someone with a rubber hose until they tell you the encryption key or whatever

I see. I guess phone books are scarcer these days so they can't rely on their availability.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
so apparently the AN0M messaging app was a FBI/AFP plant designed to lure in criminals:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-08/fbi-afp-underworld-crime-bust-an0m-cash-drugs-murder/100197246

good quote at the end, any ideas what this would have been:

quote:

legal authorities prevented the app from being covertly used for a longer timeframe.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Mr. Nice! posted:

i feel like i've been pimping ALAB alot recently, but they did a funny episode on this absolute braingenius who stole billions in bitcoin and when the judge ruled against him he claimed he couldn't trace them.

https://www.alabseries.com/episodes/episode-3-faketoshi-the-perfect-client

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

not a lawyer but this reads like australia or the us has a statutory or regulatory limit on how long this activity could go on. since this was providing a (compromised, but still useful) tool for organizing illegal activity that could also trigger some rules about providing useful stuff to suspects - if something happens and the cops can't move quickly enough to prevent it they can end up with something similar to the "fast and furious" thing that resulted in a bunch of american guns provided by the dea ended up killing innocent people and cops in mexico. a chat app wouldn't directly kill anyone but legally they're kind of on the hook for stuff that gets planned on it even if it would have been just as easy to use telegram, signal, etc because someone can always argue that the sense of security provided by the cop app emboldened the suspects to plan and execute an operation they might otherwise have chickened out on.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Trimson Grondag 3 posted:

so apparently the AN0M messaging app was a FBI/AFP plant designed to lure in criminals:

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-08/fbi-afp-underworld-crime-bust-an0m-cash-drugs-murder/100197246

quote:

legal authorities prevented the app from being covertly used for a longer timeframe.

I'm assuming there was some kind of legal statute for how long you can spy on your own people, or there was a legal case that finally made it through the courts

edit: goddamn it, i had a power outage in the middle of writing this >:

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah makes sense, i guess they just have to roll out a new app every three years or so.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Mr. Nice! posted:

Fool, bolding doesn't work in yospos. Though I thought bitcoin was untraceable if you used the coin mixers or whatever. Like the transactions are in the block chain, but the actual owners of the wallets are anonymous. I could be wrong though.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

it might be as simple as having to eventually bring charges and say in open court where the evidence came from

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
https://twitter.com/MichaelM_ACT/status/1402086472543465472

someone found a bunch of vulnerabilities in the app and posted about it in March, the post has gone now but still lives in bing cache.

Agile Vector
May 21, 2007

scrum bored

Super Nintendo 64 posted:

I see. I guess phone books are scarcer these days so they can't rely on their availability.

why wardial when you can use a webster's dictionary attack

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

go play outside Skyler posted:

i think Bitcoin is dumb as much as anyone else in this thread but i doubt making it illegal will make anything but a dent in the mining and criminal activities associated with it. people are going to find ways to convert from crypto to fiat one way or another through weird legal hoops.

If businesses and state entities cannot purchase cryptocurrencies at exchanges, crypto extortion crime dies.

I think a lot of people in infosec don't understand the scope of fiat currency control.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

remember that besides cryptocurrency, the most viable ways for scammers to cash out large amounts of money involved gift cards and tf2 hats

banning cryptocurrency won't eliminate cryptocurrency, it would effectively neuter its usefulness for cybercrime

when foo corp gets cryptolockered and needs to pay criminals 2 million dollars, it's not good for anyone that they can go to the bank and actually acquire 2 million dollars of cumcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
It's probably just a weird coincidence that the astronomical ride in the ransomware economy coincided with the rise of crypto

Definitely no correlation here