Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
what the world needs now. is chad warden.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
The fist of the north star opening song has been running through my head nonstop for the past several hours please send help

Bad Video Games
Sep 17, 2017

Think of good Dreamcast RPGs and strategy games that are still fun today.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

The game genie was so badass at the time, man. Like, to just pop that big weird cartridge in and break your games in new and exciting ways and you had the spooky genie guy just felt like some next level poo poo at the time

The game boy game genie with the tiny book full of Forbidden Knowledge locked inside is the coolest video game accessory that will ever be made

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

FirstAidKite posted:

The fist of the north star opening song has been running through my head nonstop for the past several hours please send help

We're men, we're men in tights!
We roam around the wasteland looking for fights!

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Help is on the way

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uints81YYMc

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
hmm nope I'm still shock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5c-YYKuJEVo

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Guilty Gear Strive is out now for playstation preorders.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Just found out about this and am perplexed by its very existence.

https://twitter.com/gematsucom/status/1401214006451486730

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

LMAO this seems so bad... please consign the ESA to the dustbin of history

https://twitter.com/austin_walker/status/1401981633952108545

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Imagine if the SA forums were as gamified as that... “read 10 user posts to completion” uhhhh *sweats profusely*

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

I finished World's End Club with a few minutes short of 20 hours on the game time and my verdict is...it's alright. It has some of the Uchikoshi tropes you'd expect from a story heavy game of his but it's like the most mild of spice compared to the reaper peppers he usually puts out. That being said, it still has clever gameplay/story moments, it's just that they never reach the level of putting the controller down and staring out into space as you recontextualize the entire plot with the new info you just learned. The sidescrolling gameplay isn't decidedly not great, but it was never present enough or poor enough to really annoy me and it was nice getting to play as each of the characters for certain stretches. If you're at all interested, I'd wait for a sale but I don't think $40 is an especially egregious ask, either.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

Imagine if the SA forums were as gamified as that... “read 10 user posts to completion” uhhhh *sweats profusely*

When's the next Bingo

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"
Posting is already gamefied, if you don't see that it means you're losing

MechaSeinfeld
Jan 2, 2008

Stux posted:

what the world needs now. is chad warden.

history has proven him countlessly right

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Oh my god xcom squad you have one job, shoot the aliens, why do you keep missing every single alien and making sure to nail only the civilians and other xcom members

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

https://twitter.com/JamesTurner_42/status/1402141185402101761

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

FirstAidKite posted:

Oh my god xcom squad you have one job, shoot the aliens, why do you keep missing every single alien and making sure to nail only the civilians and other xcom members

:xcom:

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

exquisite tea posted:

Nice Meltdown! (Silver trophy)

Have somebody quote your post with a post of 1000 words or more.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Walla posted:

Think of good Dreamcast RPGs and strategy games that are still fun today.

Grandia 2

Maybe 1000 arms if you stretch the definition of fun

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

exquisite tea posted:

haha yeah would be weird if we had something like that where you got some kinda badge for participation,,,,,

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Barudak posted:

Grandia 2

Maybe 1000 arms if you stretch the definition of fun

Grandia 2 was a GOAT

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
One of the biggest tragedies is that Toy Commander is a dreamcast-exclusive title and I'm not sure if it will ever get a port or anything.

What are some other dreamcast-exclusives that you wish were ported?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

FirstAidKite posted:

One of the biggest tragedies is that Toy Commander is a dreamcast-exclusive title and I'm not sure if it will ever get a port or anything.

Wikipedia says there are 69 games classified as Dreamcast exclusives still. One of them in Sonic Shuffle. Do not port Sonic Shuffle. I'm not sure how I ended up owning that game but it was utter trash. Just a completely soul-sucking, unfun ripoff of Mario Party.

New Super Metis posted:

haha yeah would be weird if we had something like that where you got some kinda badge for participation,,,,,

Y'all remember Forum Cancer? That sure was a thing that happened on a comedy website.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Propaganda Hour posted:

Just a completely soul-sucking, unfun ripoff of Mario Party.

They nailed it

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

JollyBoyJohn posted:

They nailed it

Hudson Soft really have a taste for quality

Convex
Aug 19, 2010
Lol AWS are hosed and half the internet broke, at least Steam works though :v:

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Propaganda Hour posted:

Wikipedia says there are 69 games classified as Dreamcast exclusives still. One of them in Sonic Shuffle. Do not port Sonic Shuffle. I'm not sure how I ended up owning that game but it was utter trash. Just a completely soul-sucking, unfun ripoff of Mario Party.

Sonic Shuffle sucked but I really liked the concept of the various player boards, having some minigames that were tied to said boards, the boards actively changing in important game-changing ways as the turns go by, and the idea of having to actually complete a minigame to get the equivalent of a Mario Party star (though it was a bad minigame that felt like the AI was cheating).

Like, I legit loved how they did those different maps and I wish Mario Party would even attempt something like what Sonic Shuffle did.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The best part of sonic shuffle other than it being five of the most brutal singleplayer board game maps ever made to play blind since theres no way to know what the "plot" of a map is until you do it, is that the AI flagrantly cheated specifically to beat you, the human player. The movement gimmick to Sonic Shuffle is everyone gets dealt cards at random that you select individually to move that distance on your turn. You can, also, select cards from your opponents hands but do so blindly.

The AI will root through your hand every single time you have a card that takes them the distance the need to go to reach an objective and "blindly" select the exact card they need. They will sometimes do this all three AI in a row, often rapidly leaving you blindly picking cards since all yours got used up

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

FirstAidKite posted:

it's technically in arcades too (isn't basically every DC game?) but Cosmic Smash. Let Enhance (Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect) do a remaster with VR support.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Toy commander, man i forgot about that one

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog

FirstAidKite posted:

I haven't played Bug Fables but this is what the kickstarter page for Cuticorium says about its own setting. Idk how similar in setting they are or if it begins and ends at "magic crystal."

Callin' it now, the "Cuticorium" was built around a colossal can of bug killer and there's gonna be an upper-crust death cult faction that wants to let all the "God Gas" out

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
sonic shuffle owns

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

Oh for sure, it made zero sense for them to be hanging on to GB considering the site, while apparently profitable, was never going to be profitable ENOUGH for them to get paid what they deserve.

It's just funny based off all the PR speak that came out of them leaving and how it had absolutely NOTHING to do with getting bought by another garbage corporation.

I don't know if the pay is why they left. Doing a patreon is definitely a much bigger financial risk than working for a company with a regular paycheck and health benefits.

Listening to their first new podcast, it sounds like it just doesn't make sense for your job to be streaming/podcasting from home, but also having to do so via a corporate bureaucracy - especially one where you're one of many companies owned by a larger entity. They say some interesting stuff about how it never sat right that the GB premium subscriptions never went directly to GB, but instead into the parent company's central accounts - and then GB would then be given an operating budget by the parent company that bore no relation to the subscription income.

Or another way to look at it is that when Giant Bomb was founded, you needed venture capital and whatever else to run a personality driven thing pushing out tons of audio and video, some of it live. But they've all realised that they can just use the infrastructure that's already out there - Twitch, YouTube, Patreon, etc - and be way more in control of their own work, and not be beholden to annual growth targets etc.

It's just a shame Jeff G isn't with them.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Propaganda Hour posted:

Wikipedia says there are 69 games classified as Dreamcast exclusives still.

N i c e

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

They need to port MVsC2 to a system I own

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGzHYmDLiUA

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SeXReX posted:

it's technically in arcades too (isn't basically every DC game?) but Cosmic Smash. Let Enhance (Rez Infinite, Tetris Effect) do a remaster with VR support.

Thank you for reminding me that Enchance are coming out with this nonsense at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9MYkw-ZBsI

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Ace Combat 4 Side Story Boy had a hard life...drat those Eruseans....

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Infinitum posted:

Thank you for reminding me that Enchance are coming out with this nonsense at some point.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9MYkw-ZBsI

What did I just watch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Sonic Shuffle is one of the only two Sonic games I've never played purely on principle (I wasn't really a fan of Mario Party to begin with so why would I play a version that looks even worse), the other one is Sonic Free Riders because the Kinect was a terrible idea and from what I've seen is barely playable.