Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

DJExile posted:

A sudden death playoff in what's easily the biggest women's golf tournament and NBC dumped it for gymnastics. That's absolute bullshit.

As I said in another thread, NBC had an easy out when Lexi missed that putt to get into the playoffs (after choking away a 5 stroke lead). Total bullshit move on their part but that’s women’s golf coverage in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Presto
Nov 22, 2002

Keep calm and Harry on.

Josh Lyman posted:

271 yd carry on a flat hole from Yuka :stare:
After round 1 the driving distance leader was a 14-year old (Chloe Kovelesky). 301.3 yards.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
I mean, to be fair the Gymnastics people are just as pissed off because it’s Nationals Finals in an Olympic year. There’s no right way to do things here.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Almost had my first birdie on Saturday.

Par 4 365yards. Hit my driver 200ish, 8 iron about 160ish onto the fringe. Putted from the fringe and was maybe 1/8 inch or less from going in. I crouched down and blew a little puff of breath onto the ball and it went in. We decided to count it as a 3 on the score sheet, but that it didn't count as a real birdie.

Also, it sucks getting older(35) and being horribly out of shape. I went to the driving range Friday after not swinging a club for 2 weeks to get ready for playing 18 on Saturday. And by the 9th hole I had strained all the muscles on the right side of my back between my shoulder blade and spine so badly that I couldn't do more than chip and putt for the entire back 9. And I'm still in a lot of pain 2 days later.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

th3t00t posted:

Almost had my first birdie on Saturday.

Par 4 365yards. Hit my driver 200ish, 8 iron about 160ish onto the fringe. Putted from the fringe and was maybe 1/8 inch or less from going in. I crouched down and blew a little puff of breath onto the ball and it went in. We decided to count it as a 3 on the score sheet, but that it didn't count as a real birdie.

Also, it sucks getting older(35) and being horribly out of shape. I went to the driving range Friday after not swinging a club for 2 weeks to get ready for playing 18 on Saturday. And by the 9th hole I had strained all the muscles on the right side of my back between my shoulder blade and spine so badly that I couldn't do more than chip and putt for the entire back 9. And I'm still in a lot of pain 2 days later.

200 with driver but 160 with an 8 iron tells me either you are either a very good iron striker (or are just muscling the ball) and a lovely driver, or you thinned the piss out of that 8 iron.

I'm going to bet that you are probably trying to murder the ball with your irons and that's why you're straining your body. Let the club do the work, give it like a 90% swing. Save the 100% swings for when you need a heroic effort.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

ElGroucho posted:

200 with driver but 160 with an 8 iron tells me either you are either a very good iron striker (or are just muscling the ball) and a lovely driver, or you thinned the piss out of that 8 iron.

I'm going to bet that you are probably trying to murder the ball with your irons and that's why you're straining your body. Let the club do the work, give it like a 90% swing. Save the 100% swings for when you need a heroic effort.
I'm terrible with my driver. I can't figure out the swing plane and come over the top too much. I also struggle to hit the ball with the center of the club face and swing at like 50%-75% speed to attempt to make better contact. So when I do make ok contact I go like 175-225 yards right down the middle. If I try to swing harder I usually miss hit or slice.

I'm comparatively much better with my irons . I strike like 1 in 4 iron swings perfectly and get some serious distance, this was one of those swings. I honestly think I'd be better off just hitting my irons on the course until I figure out my driver and 3 wood.

But yeah, I was definitely trying to muscle things a bit too much.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah once you're past your late 20s, you're going to do far more harm than good trying to muscle up and crush the ball. Any clubs made in the last like 20 years are going to have huge sweet spots and let the ball fly just fine if you get clean contact. I pound the old adage "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" into my head when I start realizing I'm getting too quick in my swing. On some long, wide par 5s I still get way too tempted to gas up and swing out of my shoes.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

th3t00t posted:

I'm terrible with my driver. I can't figure out the swing plane and come over the top too much. I also struggle to hit the ball with the center of the club face and swing at like 50%-75% speed to attempt to make better contact. So when I do make ok contact I go like 175-225 yards right down the middle. If I try to swing harder I usually miss hit or slice.

I feel your pain on this one. I have to be very conscious of putting 0% power into my drives to get 170-180yds and straight. I have it in me to do 220-250yd drives, but any amount of power throws my swing plane off so much that the ball end up 3 fairways over.

I only know I can drive it that far because anytime I've done lessons with drivers, the coach will point out my backswing, swing plane, grip, and ball position. Once all of that is corrected I can crack a couple 220-250 more or less straight. I just don't have the time to hit the range often enough to turn those lessons into muscle memory. Also getting older and fatter doesn't help.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
This is how you make a comfffyyyy par

I didn't get very many pictures of Pine Dunes because I was playing some sweaty matches but here's a few:

This is the courtyard area in the middle of the rooms they have to stay in. They're right off the 18th green so you can watch everyone come in. We also had some late night chipping contests on 18 that were really fun.

This is looking back down 18. If you can carry 260+, you can cut the corner on 18 to get yourself 50-60 yards closer than going straight down the fairway.

We went back out after playing 36 holes on Saturday to play an emergency 4 holes with 3 clubs only. It was hilarious and part of the benefit of staying out there is having the run of the course to do whatever you want at the end of the day.

Overall it was a blast. The course is amazing, their hospitality was incredible, and it's a great course to have a match play tournament on. Every hole has you making some strategic choices. I can't wait to go back.

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL

DJExile posted:

Yeah once you're past your late 20s, you're going to do far more harm than good trying to muscle up and crush the ball. Any clubs made in the last like 20 years are going to have huge sweet spots and let the ball fly just fine if you get clean contact. I pound the old adage "Slow is smooth, smooth is fast" into my head when I start realizing I'm getting too quick in my swing. On some long, wide par 5s I still get way too tempted to gas up and swing out of my shoes.
Also, being 35 and trying to get more into golf for the first time in my life. I've never really used these particular muscles before because I would only golf 0-3 times a season. Now I'm trying to golf/go to the range at least once a week. So 2 days in a row was too much, too soon.

I've owned my clubs for 10-11 years, but I haven't used them much until recently. I've been to the driving range 10-15 times, and actually played golf 20-25 times in those 10 years. No lessons besides youtube videos, which i started watching in the past 2 months. My goal this summer is to break 100. So far this year I've been in the 115-125 range.

th3t00t fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 7, 2021

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

shyduck posted:

Yeah I'd get a lesson to try and get any big faults out of the way.

For YouTube though check out Shawn Clement. He does a nice job of relating swing thoughts to other sports and activities. His "knife the grip" video amongst others helped me immensely.

Been getting back into golf this season after like 6 years away. I've NEVER been able to hit a 460cc driver and never carried one but don't have much of a choice so figured I'd try and learn. Watched a bunch of Shawn Clement videos on grip and went out and hit 2 small buckets, driver only today. Bucket 1 didn't go too well, was experimenting with a bunch of things and ended up with my typical mega slice off the tee. Grabbed a second bucket, and with about 20 balls left, I think I figured out how to hit this club. Strong grip, with my right hand rolled "under" the club (so both my wrists are facing each other), and pressing my hands forward to bring the club square at address. Hit the last dozen or so straight and they felt great so I'm really looking forward to my next outing where I'll be unable to repeat this and be back at square one!

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

drat man 200 yard drive 160 yard 8 iron? I regularly carry my driver ~240-250 yards, with rollouts to about 270 and my 8 iron only goes about 150-155 carry. And my iron striking is probably the best part of my game! That is a fantastic iron shot.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Golf makes me feel dumber now then when I started just under a year ago. Can’t hit a driver anymore, but I’ve been playing with some old hogan blades and consistently hitting under 100 with a few games under 90. Complete reversal from my first games where I could drive it well but everything else sucked.

hostile apostle
Aug 29, 2006
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:
Stadia didn't outlive SA but it did outlive Lowtax - Happy Birthday Stadia! #ad
:stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia::stadia:

SquirrelGrip posted:

Golf makes me feel dumber now then when I started just under a year ago. Can’t hit a driver anymore, but I’ve been playing with some old hogan blades and consistently hitting under 100 with a few games under 90. Complete reversal from my first games where I could drive it well but everything else sucked.

Are you me (minus the blades)?

I started with a beautiful draw, fairly consistent with my driver and very inconsistent with irons. And now I just slice the poo poo out of driver and hit my irons clean. I can't figure it out.

SquirrelGrip
Jul 4, 2012
Pretty much ditto, perfect draw with a driver has just devolved into what it is now. I feel more confident hitting a 3 iron or one of my friends fairway woods these days. I need to make the time for another lesson rather than go insane trying to fix it on my own.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

For me personally my driver swing has devolved into a high fade / slice a couple of times since I've started playing and both times it was due to my swing becoming too steep. Shallowing it has fixed it - maybe that's your problem? It was due to me focusing on iron shots at those times and my driver swing started becoming too...much like my iron swing if that makes sense?

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

I guess I somehow missed Rickie Fowler's career tanking to the point where he had to qualify(and failed) to get into the US Open.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Shrapnig posted:

I guess I somehow missed Rickie Fowler's career tanking to the point where he had to qualify(and failed) to get into the US Open.

You wouldn't think he was doing so bad, judging by the endorsements and social media presence.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

DJExile posted:

Funny this is the topic, I was at the range today realized how hard I was trying to swing. It's hard for me to maintain form in the first place, but it's especially hard when I'm trying to kill the ball kill the ball. Plus it's so physically draining.

Spent the next half of the bucket deliberately swinging at about 60% and had some really flush hits. But the best part is I wasn't as exhausted.

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter
Granted I'm not constantly hitting Greens In Regulation, but I'm there or thereabouts with space to make a 2 putt for a bogey most of the time which I consider an achievement.

I just can't get the ball in the hole. I'm constantly missing 6ft putts, I usually hit the ball way harder than I intend, breaks are always far more understated than what I'm reading them to be. My putting is a comedy of errors and I feel like I'm missing some core knowledge here because just on averages I should be holing more putts than this.

how do u putt?

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Go to a practice green for an hour a few times a week. As with all things golf, you’re not going to magically get better trying to learn how to do something on the course.

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

Broke 100 for the first time today with a flat 90. All my practice on the par 3 course is really paying dividends with my irons. Time to get grinding on putting so I can not have 40 putts on 18 holes!

dangling pointer
Feb 12, 2010

RCarr posted:

Go to a practice green for an hour a few times a week. As with all things golf, you’re not going to magically get better trying to learn how to do something on the course.

This is the only answer. I’ve been playing for years, the past 2 years I forgot how to 2 putt. Look up some putting drills/practice routines and put time in on the practice green.

Anyone have a mizuno m craft putter? I’m finally happy with where my putting is this season and just bought an odyssey stroke labs putter last year BUT the new mizuno putter look so good.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Rick Shiels did a couple of Mizuno putter reviews not too long ago and wasn't crazy about them. His chief complaint was the feel, and thinks Mizuno needs some more development time to get it right. Bear in mind this is more or less their introduction into the putter world.

Unless you can get one in your hands to try, I'd probably stick with the Odyssey

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dangling pointer posted:

I’m finally happy with where my putting is this season

then I wouldn't change a thing.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

Yeah that too, don't fix what isn't broken

th3t00t
Aug 14, 2007

GOOD CLEAN FOOTBALL
Update on my sore back muscles.

Back seems to have mostly recovered, I actually stopped taking Ibuprofen yesterday and only had a little pain. But I was also experiencing some minor discomfort/tenderness extending from my back into my ribs and chest. Last night I got a really violent fit of hiccups that lasted about 15 minutes. That minor discomfort became extreme pain. I think my intercostal muscles were sore from golf but not overly strained. Then the hiccups strained the hell out of them.

I woke up this morning very sore and tender in the ribcage, but decided I'd be fine without ibuprofen, because it only hurt if I stretched it... then I sneezed and immediately took 800mg of IB.

gently caress aging, I'm only 35!

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?
dumb question: how does one tell if one is good at putting, or if one would benefit from lessons/fitting/different putter?

th3t00t posted:

Back seems to have mostly recovered, I actually stopped taking Ibuprofen yesterday and only had a little pain. But I was also experiencing some minor discomfort/tenderness extending from my back into my ribs and chest. Last night I got a really violent fit of hiccups that lasted about 15 minutes. That minor discomfort became extreme pain. I think my intercostal muscles were sore from golf but not overly strained. Then the hiccups strained the hell out of them.

I woke up this morning very sore and tender in the ribcage, but decided I'd be fine without ibuprofen, because it only hurt if I stretched it... then I sneezed and immediately took 800mg of IB.

that sucks, man. fwiw, i find that aleve helps these kind of muscle pains much more than IB (ymmv). that plus regular yoga, lots of water, and an occasional visit to my sports medicine chiro helps keep things moving clean.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Petey posted:

dumb question: how does one tell if one is good at putting, or if one would benefit from lessons/fitting/different putter?

I’d say unless you have zero three puts most rounds you would certainly benefit.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Petey posted:

If you're at the point where you're either leaving a lot of putts short (or long) regardless of how you read them, or just can't get reads down to save your life, I'd first start with lessons. Let a pro see how you're lining up, how you're visualizing putts, etc. Tell them how your putter feels, if you think it's too soft or too jumpy, then if the lessons don't get you comfortable I'd look at another putter. Mallets feel different from blades, and there's a hundred different types of faces, so odds are something's gonna work for you, but I'd start with lessons above all else.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

th3t00t posted:

I don't think you have just some sore muscles. That sounds like you might want to go to a doctor.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Yea I agree.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

shyduck posted:

Rick Shiels did a couple of Mizuno putter reviews not too long ago and wasn't crazy about them. His chief complaint was the feel, and thinks Mizuno needs some more development time to get it right. Bear in mind this is more or less their introduction into the putter world.

Unless you can get one in your hands to try, I'd probably stick with the Odyssey

Mizuno was pretty heavy into the putter game about 15 years ago but all of their putters were actually made by Bettinardi.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
Has anyone here used the old-school Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putters, or any of their White-hot putters for that matter? They look cool to me, but I'm not sure about performance.

Dr. Capco
May 21, 2007

Pillbug
2 ball is an all time classic and plenty of pga/LPGA players still use them.

I consider myself a pretty solid putter with 32.1 putts a round this year (still averaging 1.2 three putts a round though :argh: ) and the only things I worry about are if I'm hitting the putt in the dead center of the face and my tempo. If I hit a putt dead center and have a good 1 -> 2 stroke then it's going to be a good roll 9/10 times. Im also 2 years into doing aimpoint express and after practicing with it I don't really get fooled by greens anymore, it's usually me making a misread. The only putts I practice at home are 4-6 feet and that's mainly because I don't want to have to walk too far to the other side of the carpet.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Mederlock posted:

Has anyone here used the old-school Odyssey White Hot 2 ball putters, or any of their White-hot putters for that matter? They look cool to me, but I'm not sure about performance.

I've used a 2 ball in the past. It's a fine putter but I didn't get along with it at the time. Still wish I had one though.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...
Walked 18 yesterday. Started at 85 degrees, ended at 93. The heat actually kept me loose and feeling good 1-6, and then on 7, group on green, group on tee, and us. By the time we teed off, my back was so stiff it was incredible. Waiting every shot until 10 when three league teams dropped out (they only play 9). 10-14, great, stretching, feeling better, hitting better. 15, catch up to the group with a tee time four ahead of us.

Had not played this course before. Greens under watered, hard as rocks, fast as hell, but a short, flat course with no defenses at all. The kind where your second round will improve by 5 shots.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Mederlock posted:

I've had one since forever, I don't even know when I bought it. Has to be 20 years old maybe? I've had a half dozen putters since I got it, and I still go back to it. Its the most comfortable one I have ever used. I've never used a real high end one like a Cameron though.

Still can't putt for poo poo though.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Douchebag posted:

I've had one since forever, I don't even know when I bought it. Has to be 20 years old maybe? I've had a half dozen putters since I got it, and I still go back to it. Its the most comfortable one I have ever used. I've never used a real high end one like a Cameron though.

Still can't putt for poo poo though.

:same: dude, :same:. There's some on eBay that are a fair price, I think I'm going to get one. Would be a nice upgrade from my $40 Wilson putter, not that it's really going to improve my putting though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I don't use the 2-ball but I love the White Hot insert

Unrelated, but yesterday somebody died from a lightning strike at a course not far from where I live. It's possibly the first lightning-related death in the country this year. Be careful out there

shyduck fucked around with this message at 15:01 on Jun 10, 2021