Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

:pray: robo-ky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

So those of you with a stick, what button layout are you using? Dedicating a button to roman cancels didn't seem necessary so I am drunkenly messing around in arcade mode with:

P S HS x
K dsh D x

Does that seem about right?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
Does anyone have a Razer Raion and can confirm if it works with the PS5 version? Am seeing conflicting information on google.

Edit: Ugh nevermind, found my answer. I hope someone makes a fightpad soon cause I am bad with sticks. Though the PS5 dpad is surprisingly pretty decent for this game.

boz fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Jun 8, 2021

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

ZZZorcerer posted:

Game looks cool but how is the single player (only going to play against the AI) experience ? Does it have a story mode or something like the latest Mortal Kombat?

Dont buy this for single player. Like most Japanese fighting games, it has almost no offline content. Strive is designed around removing the intimidation factor of playing online though, and really wants you to gravitate towards that. There is versus cpu, survival, and arcade though but none of these are that fulfilling and are barebone modes.

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Theotus posted:

So those of you with a stick, what button layout are you using? Dedicating a button to roman cancels didn't seem necessary so I am drunkenly messing around in arcade mode with:

P S HS x
K dsh D x

P goes below K

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Lmao I've completely forgotten how to play this game but nearly won a fight two tiers above my starting level!

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Theotus posted:

P S HS x
K dsh D x

K S H
P _ D is the arcade layout and what I use for all of them, although it's weird in strive since I still instinctively tried to Gatling stuff during the betas

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

ZZZorcerer posted:

Game looks cool but how is the single player (only going to play against the AI) experience ? Does it have a story mode or something like the latest Mortal Kombat?

The story mode is a 5 hour long anime with no gameplay.

Like it's cool and the story is interesting although you probably won't understand a goddamned thing if you don't brush up on GG lore.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

In Training posted:

K S H
P _ D is the arcade layout and what I use for all of them, although it's weird in strive since I still instinctively tried to Gatling stuff during the betas

Never really wrapped my head around K being a combo button in the old GG games. Only ever played them casually.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Spuckuk posted:

May buffs are real:

5k now dash cancellable, and easier to link into 2d at range
j.S floats instead of knocking down air to air so you can combo
heavy dolphin combos on natural hit into slash dolphin or 3k

Quite a lot of meterless damage there..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaZ0HnsV2AY&t=75s

- ch 5H now combos into [4]6H
- run up OHK combos off ch [4]6H even with gold stagger, might be spacing dependant though

Can't wait to totsugeki nerds once the PC vetsion is up

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Was watching a stream and in arcade mode if you never lose a round you get put on a path with a Nago from hell. When you beat him he goes 'wow your not doing your best today try again later' (after using continues) and it ends.

Streamer heard this went 'wow I beat the final challenge' and assumed nothing happens after that but uh- there's totally more if you perfect clear him right?

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

Theotus posted:

Never really wrapped my head around K being a combo button in the old GG games. Only ever played them casually.

The logic for why it was set up that way is that KSH were like your main gatling combo buttons. Starting combos with P had a damage proration, it's a good button for mashing out of gaps or like jumping in with a bunch of overheads to check someone's blocking but K and S were both much better pokes and better ways to start big things, so KSH were all in a row next to each other. You can think of the buttons as ABCDE instead of PKSHD if that helps them make more sense.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

First thing I did in the Strive beta was change the button orientation. Lights on the inside, heavies on the outside!

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

i'm putting P above K, where it belongs

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I was actually wondering if strive was gonna be designed with a traditional layout in mind or not. Is there any consensus on that so far?

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Theotus posted:

P S HS x
K dsh D x

I haven't looked at how controls changed in Strive but in Xrd I was using

P S H
K S+H D

That was I could easily do all of the system mechanics with that 6th button

S+H button - Blitz
2S+H button - Low Blitz
4S+H button - FD
6S+H button - DDA and Throw OS
K button and S+H button - RC
D button and S+H button - Burst

Everything very conveniently laid out on the bottom row. The only system that's awkward to use with this setup is IK, so I had a separate button for it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I'm just bodying everyone with Nago. I'm sure my uppance will come since he's allegedly poo poo but the quick step and range just fucks pubbies brains and they start to behave erratically.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
This is the traditional type A GG stick layout:

K S H
P _ D

It made more sense when P used to gatling into K and so on. I did flip P and K when I first started, like a lot of people, but then I switched to Type A to more easily do FDC jK's and to set my bindings quicker at locals/tournaments.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Jun 8, 2021

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I don't know if this was touched upon during the betas by someone else but I was messing around in training mode and found that if you jump cancel a normal in a combo and RC, you will get blue instead of red. This can result in different routes that can lead to more damage. Here's a video example, please excuse the messed up attempt in the middle:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQdMEBeUJVU

dangerdoom volvo
Nov 5, 2009
I believe the reason for GGs strange button layout is its modeled off of the old SNK layout that went like ABCD in a curve, like PKSH is now. Might be hearsay

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

K S H

I put the new dash button option in that hole

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Real hurthling! posted:

I put the new dash button option in that hole

Same, makes dash rc easy to hit

Kongming
Aug 30, 2005

I put dash next to H cause it makes it easier for me. I also play on a hitbox so the buttons are closer together which may be why.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Pinkie is for taunting

Hiro Protagonist
Oct 25, 2010

Last of the freelance hackers and
Greatest swordfighter in the world
With PC coming out later and cross play not being a thing (yet) is it worth waiting and getting the PC version if it's my preferred place to play, or will it be small enough of a community to make PS4 ideal?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Get the best version for you

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
There will still be a billion people playing on PC get that one if that's what you prefer

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I'll be playing on PC so that I don't even have to switch screens to complain about balance.

Captain Flame Guy
Mar 11, 2012

On stick I've always done

P S D
K H

But in the beta I found that to be kind of awkward to use with the dash macro so I'll have to experiment with different layouts.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

I have just rediscovered that I am terrible at fight games, but still looking forward to playing more. I guess I have decided Leo Whitefang is going to be my main, so I should probably look at some kind of guide before I get too deep.

Really hoping Bridget finally returns in this one.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Couple questions about this, is the only 'story mode' the arcade mode, and is there any handicap option for local matches?

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Cicero posted:

Couple questions about this, is the only 'story mode' the arcade mode, and is there any handicap option for local matches?

Story mode is a big vn type of thing with no fights like in Xrd. That's seperate from the Arcade mode.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Make your own story mode online and climb the tower :black101:

Really though the matchmaking is pretty good and staying on the lowest floor you can should give you pretty close matches. I don't normally online since getting other close skilled folks is hard but this will be populated with players of all skill levels around.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Arzachel posted:

Story mode is a big vn type of thing with no fights like in Xrd. That's seperate from the Arcade mode.
There's a story mode with no fighting? ...huh.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Story mode is five hours of anime so you can just get baked and watch it

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Boogalo posted:

Make your own story mode online and climb the tower :black101:

Really though the matchmaking is pretty good and staying on the lowest floor you can should give you pretty close matches. I don't normally online since getting other close skilled folks is hard but this will be populated with players of all skill levels around.
Yeah I'm thinking about it. Though I'm gonna be traveling for a while starting in about a week and a half so my internet quality will be...variable. Thought it might be fun to do single-player and maybe play with the kid if there's a handicap.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Just teach your kid how to use a dolphin problem solved

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

I don't know what a dolphin is in this context, all I can think of is the emulator

big deal
Sep 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004