Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017
https://www.macrumors.com/2021/06/07/apple-wont-make-you-upgrade-to-ios-15/

if this is real, each and every corporate nerd will force you to stay on obsolete builds to please his control fetishes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

if you have corporate device policy on your personal device that's your own fault

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

Pulcinella posted:

Ol’ Jony Fireball says get back to work:

quote:

A loyal attack dog posted:
1,400 words to say they’d prefer a policy that allows teams within Apple to determine their own remote work policies. Good communication is to the point, and this is not to the point at all.

to the point like the 1600 words Gruber wrote on the apple tv remote last week, for example

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Extraneous [sic] edits is a disgusting way of discrediting one's habit.

quote:

I can’t help but think that the problem for Apple is that they’ve grown so large that they’ve wound up hiring a lot of people who aren’t a good fit for Apple, and that it was a mistake for Apple to ever hook up a company-wide Slack.

They probably crossed that bridge decades ago.

quote:

Companies are not democracies, but the employees writing these letters sure seem to think Apple is one. It’s not, and if it were, the company would sink in a snap.

Given the way how that company seals up its internal culture and hides its seedy underbellies of toxic management, perhaps if

tl;dr gently caress this scab

quote:

Apple’s new “three days on site” policy wasn’t a request for comments — it was a decision — and Tim Cook’s company-wide letter already leaves room for individual teams to adjust it to their own needs.

Yeah, like hiring that FB rear end in a top hat was a decision by management too

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Stringent posted:

i'm not sure i could give less of a poo poo about faang employees' remote work options

🎼They say in Cupertino there can't be dissent brooked
You'll either be a remote man or a simp for big Tim Cook 🪕

infernal machines posted:

hmm. a global plague has closed the office, i'm going to buy a house several hundred kilometers from where i worked, because this situation will never change.

- a smart savvy homeowner

Worked for villeins after the Black Death!

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

daring fireball website alawys been insufferable and i have no idea how yospos ppl have been reading it for 20 years or whatever lol. then again i read this website and it too is insufferable so maybe this is some pot/kettle thing

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

Being an unthinking reflexive fanboy towards Apple products, fine, I get it. But to criticize internal employee issues and pontificate company culture when you don't even work at the loving company, holy poo poo what an absolutely contemptible sucker

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Maximo Roboto posted:

Being an unthinking reflexive fanboy towards Apple products, fine, I get it. But to criticize internal employee issues and pontificate company culture when you don't even work at the loving company, holy poo poo what an absolutely contemptible sucker

my thoughts too

like stan the products all you want tech is fun whatever

but lol at licking corpboots so hard you pen that screed

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Maximo Roboto posted:

🎼They say in Cupertino there can't be dissent brooked
You'll either be a remote man or a simp for big Tim Cook 🪕
Worked for villeins after the Black Death!

noblesse oblige!

Smythe posted:

daring fireball website alawys been insufferable and i have no idea how yospos ppl have been reading it for 20 years or whatever lol. then again i read this website and it too is insufferable so maybe this is some pot/kettle thing

glass houses. beautiful perfectly engineered glass houses

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Maximo Roboto posted:

but you see, john fireball thinks he’s an Apple insider. he thinks he understands how Apple thinks and operates because the PR team feeds him breadcrumbs.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

i was briefly excited about dolby atmos apple music but after flipping through https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/music-spatial-audio-with-dolby-atmos/pl.u-B9ErVivdVdK the conclusion is that most of the atmos enabled artists suck

kraftwerk in 3d is neat though

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

eh there’s some bangers in there. not sure what the spatial effect is actually doing though (stereophonic sound is already “3D”)

e: I listened to some more I guess I hear it now. bob marleys “exodus” is a good demonstration track. it turns out there’s actually quite a few songs & albums have been given an atmos remaster not just this playlist.

Juul-Whip fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Oct 12, 2021

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games
About 10 years ago I had a manager who was big into remote work. I was looking at buying a house 90 minutes from the office and we had worked out a deal where I'd come into the office once a week, concentrate all "in person necessary" meetings on that day and everything else would be done via Skype (at the time). Things went great for 4 months. I loved the new house, the new locale and the new arrangement. Then my boss decided to gently caress off and work somewhere else and my NEW boss said "I want you here 5 days a week". Very old school guy. I was frustrated but I had a choice -- go in 5 days a week or quit. I "negotiated" work from home on Fridays and drove the 3 hours the other four days and did that for probably 8-9 years until the pandemic hit.

At no point did I think starting a petition to change corporate structure or priority would be a good idea or would have a prayer of working. I took the job knowing that the expectation was that I'd be in the office 5 days a week. The manager had created a carve-out based on his discretion and when he left, the logic followed that the carve-out wasn't going to be honored by the new boss unless they wanted to. They didn't want to so I had a choice -- stay or go. These Apple employees are the worst people. They took a deal, then decided the deal no longer worked for them and are trying to force management to change corporate policy and direction to suit them. It's a company. The company can decide how they want to do things. Companies aren't generally collectives. I am fine with employee collective action as a way to drive corporate change but this isn't a case of exploitation or bad policies. These people took a deal at a company with a long and storied history of office working. Apple wants people in the office and goes to great lengths to make their offices agreeable to employees. These dipshits can't just decide they don't like their deal anymore and the company has to change for them.

My wife said, and I agree with, that you don't want to be a minority remote group in a majority office work company. It's not great for anybody. Much of the intentional changes that a company puts in place to foster office-worker cohesion and culture are just lost on remote folks. It's often not even worth the effort to bring them into the fold. The pandemic turned that on its head for 18 months and many companies shifted forever (my company did). Many of these companies, however, want to return to what they feel made them successful.

it sounds crazy but the pandemic was the best thing for my work situation. No more three hour commutes, saved money on food, etc. The work-from-home situation lasted until I told them I was quitting, which I did at the end of May.

unrelated: These iOS 15 changes look great. Do I take the plunge and go beta? I always regret it, yet I always do it....

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
lol, "take it from me, the guy who's been driving 3 hours a day to and from work for the past 10 years, "

refleks
Nov 21, 2006

on the other hand: gently caress offices

LibCrusher
Jan 6, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
they changed the downloads section of the podcasts app and I hate it

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i spent longer than i care to admit looking for the subscribe button on a page before noticing they renamed it to follow

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
apple's podcast app is an amazing achievement if only because they managed to find enough programmers that don't listen to podcasts to build the drat thing

go play outside Skyler
Nov 7, 2005

lmao, async/await finally makes its way to swift, except it requires kernel changes and will only be available on ios 15. this means most shops that support currentversion-2 won't be able to use it until 2023

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

go play outside Skyler posted:

lmao, async/await finally makes its way to swift, except it requires kernel changes and will only be available on ios 15. this means most shops that support currentversion-2 won't be able to use it until 2023

cool, i don't have to move anything off of promisekit

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

Stringent posted:

lol, "take it from me, the guy who's been driving 3 hours a day to and from work for the past 10 years, "

oh for sure. I’m a big dummy. in my defense it was good pay and I figured if I got a new boss down the road things may change back in my favor. my point is, I made a choice to do that drive and weighed options and trade offs. I didn’t tell the company that their policy was unfair and they needed to change to suit me.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

he1ixx posted:

oh for sure. I’m a big dummy. in my defense it was good pay and I figured if I got a new boss down the road things may change back in my favor. my point is, I made a choice to do that drive and weighed options and trade offs. I didn’t tell the company that their policy was unfair and they needed to change to suit me.

oh, poo poo, sorry dude i thought that was a c/p from somewhere

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

he1ixx posted:

collective action for improved working conditions is good, actually

and you have to advocate for yourself because no one else will (unless you’re in a union, sometimes)

absolute bootlicking to just suck it up

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

PCjr sidecar posted:

collective action for improved working conditions is good, actually

and you have to advocate for yourself because no one else will (unless you’re in a union, sometimes)

absolute bootlicking to just suck it up

agree

literally all the rights that unions have won for us over the years started out with people taking a job and eventually finding cause to take issue with it. the pandemic showed many white collar workers just how capably they can do their jobs without being in the office constantly. if everyone was like the above we wouldn't have 40-hour work weeks or weekends or anything

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Dolby Atmos at its finest

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

he1ixx posted:

These Apple employees are the worst people.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

that post can’t be real

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

r u ready to WALK posted:

i was briefly excited about dolby atmos apple music but after flipping through https://music.apple.com/us/playlist/music-spatial-audio-with-dolby-atmos/pl.u-B9ErVivdVdK the conclusion is that most of the atmos enabled artists suck

kraftwerk in 3d is neat though

Drastic Actions posted:

Dolby Atmos at its finest

you are learning what many audiophiles already know: you must listen to boring garbage to experience the most advanced audio technologies, be glad they have more than steely dan's aja and dire straits' brothers in arms

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

qirex posted:

you are learning what many audiophiles already know: you must listen to boring garbage to experience the most advanced audio technologies, be glad they have more than steely dan's aja and dire straits' brothers in arms

excuse me?

SpicyPete posted:

Finally, the future is here

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
what's funnier about it to me is that it's the only song on that album mixed with Atmos available.

i would defend that album as being great power pop, but that song specifically sucks and that it's the one they picked for Atmos, :lol:

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

qirex posted:

thought all of the equipment listeners were all about that one scritti politti album lol

these album engineers are older people with frequency drop offs so really we need all music engineered and mastered by 18 yr olds

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Yeah that's a good album, so they dont mix the whole album? wtf

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

sonatinas posted:

thought all of the equipment listeners were all about that one scritti politti album lol
there's other stuff like diana krall and pipe organ music too

I listened to the entirety of aja once and I'm pretty sure the big deal is they did a lot of stereo panning on the drums, otherwise idgi it's perfectly pleasant granddad rock but pretty unremarkable imo

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
deals are made to be renegotiated. there’s no “you agreed to it so it’s forever” rule.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

i really wish they'd stuck with shipping the swift runtime with the app and just added deduplication rather than making it part of the os.

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

sleepwalkers posted:

that post can’t be real

yes. yes it is.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

qirex posted:

I listened to the entirety of aja once and I'm pretty sure the big deal is they did a lot of stereo panning on the drums, otherwise idgi it's perfectly pleasant granddad rock but pretty unremarkable imo
lol

there's some amazing playing on that album by all concerned

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe

LOL 🤦‍♂️

meanwhile, “what’s libdispatch?”

he1ixx
Aug 23, 2007

still bad at video games

The Management posted:

deals are made to be renegotiated. there’s no “you agreed to it so it’s forever” rule.

Very true. But if you signed a contract or agreement regarding how and where your employer wants or expects you to work, you can't just say "I don't like this anymore. It must change" and then expect it to work out super well for you, I guess. That's the part that happens *before* you endorse the deal. Once you sign up for something, you are committed to following through. If not, you shouldn't have signed up for it. Not sure how these folks were hired or what they signed so who knows. Honoring a commitment or contract doesn't make you a "corporate bootlicker" though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

Chris Knight posted:

lol

there's some amazing playing on that album by all concerned
I don't constantly listen to 1970s yacht rock so I don't really have a comparison point plus there's tons of music that it technically excellent but still boring if you're not into the genre/sound