Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
it takes all my effort to muster the will and focus to pay attention to 1 to 3 shows a season that I genuinely like enough to make it all the way to the end (and often I still don't finish) so I have zero patience for stuff I don't like or even am just bored by or even just...not that into after one or two episodes. I regularly drop things before even making it through the entire first episode.

This season has been kind of unusual in that I haven't given anything a hard drop yet although I dunno if I'll ever get back to Mars Red so that one may end up being one out of inertia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

marumaru posted:

i watched it in a bit of masochism because i thought "SURELY they're not going to go THERE, right?" and while for the most part they don't really go there, they still go way closer than necessary. this should've been sorted by episode 1, but because Japan™, you get awkward sexual and "wait, but what if" moments, and plenty of coomer shots like you mentioned

thanks for remembering to look up the unicode for ™

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
I'll sometimes continue watching an anime I'm not quite enjoying either because out of a sense of needing to complete it because anime to me is something akin to a hobby; and to quote Xykon from Order of the Stick, if you drink bad coffee you'll remember all the times you drank good coffee. It heightens the flavour of good anime to intersperse it with bad or mediocre anime.

But primarily as someone else mentioned, sometimes an anime has a diamond in the rough, some concept or character you enjoy seeing or some plot point you hope resolves a certain way so you keep watching even though its kinda bad for long stretches.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
On the one hand, Umeko from These Snow-White Notes is a selfish jerk and a pretty rubbish mother. On the other hand, she spends her entire screentime being the sexiest, most badass person on the planet.

A dilemma for the ages.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Raenir Salazar posted:

I'll sometimes continue watching an anime I'm not quite enjoying either because out of a sense of needing to complete it because anime to me is something akin to a hobby; and to quote Xykon from Order of the Stick, if you drink bad coffee you'll remember all the times you drank good coffee. It heightens the flavour of good anime to intersperse it with bad or mediocre anime.

But primarily as someone else mentioned, sometimes an anime has a diamond in the rough, some concept or character you enjoy seeing or some plot point you hope resolves a certain way so you keep watching even though its kinda bad for long stretches.

Yeah, I've made a minor hobby of watching lovely old mech anime, and it really helps show how good the good stuff from the same era was.

Iron Blooded Orphans is good, but put it next to IGLOO, and it looks like one of humanity's greatest achievements.

Darth Walrus posted:

On the one hand, Umeko from These Snow-White Notes is a selfish jerk and a pretty rubbish mother. On the other hand, she spends her entire screentime being the sexiest, most badass person on the planet.

A dilemma for the ages.

Ah, the Haruko paradox. Professor Fujimoto presented a rather original solution last year, but it's probably not applicable in this case.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm just baffled how anyone has the time and energy to spend on something they don't enjoy watching :psyduck:
i watched all of ex-arm

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Everything Burrito posted:

I'm just baffled how anyone has the time and energy to spend on something they don't enjoy watching :psyduck:

sometimes the OP is really good so I just keep watching

ellspurs
Sep 12, 2007
Kappa :o

kater posted:

Cramer feels like it is the sequel to a show about her playing on a boys team. Like it has to be right?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sayonara,_Football

The prequel, which is the movie that comes out this week in Japan.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I think a lot of people will have their imagination captured by an anime on the outset, but find the quality/writing/themes decline as the show goes on, become disappointed, and want an outlet to talk about it. See the forever debate around NGE and the recent contrast between how Wonder Egg begins and "ends" (yeah I know they have a secret episode coming through the pipelines or whatever).

Sometimes it helps to see others' perspectives and gain context, and perhaps more appreciation for what they enjoyed. Other times, it's cathartic to see other people to also say, "what the gently caress were the writers thinking?"

Also, just about any medium is full of trash, but anime can be especially trashy and I don't see how you can watch it regularly without stumbling into tropes or archetypes you have strong criticisms for. I'm not even talking about abject garbage, I think most people who have grievances find some merit to what they're watching -- it's why they were watching it in the first place. Part of being a fan is navigating the space between "this is the best thing I've ever seen" and "this is completely without value," which is where most human artistic endeavors end up.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont think anime is extra trashy, i think it's just a medium people get especially passionate for and if you're digging through most of what you can easily get your hands on you'll get exposed to more of the tropes common to different corners of it

this sticks out hard for something like shonen anime cause well, shonen anime are almost all in some ways kinda built on a set of basic tropes. for most of the anime i can think of that personally frustrated me the things that pissed me off about them aren't really like genre tropes or anything they're just. badly written. like i hate mai-hime but most of the things i hate about mai-hime aren't really in a lot of other stuff i watch and it's a thing in a category of show that i watch a lot. i have negative feelings on wonder egg priority but that has more to do with nojima being a writer i have intense ennui for than for anything related to anime as a medium

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Jun 8, 2021

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

anime isn't 'especially trashy,' it just costs a shitton of money to make and is mostly aimed at specific demographics. pretty much any anime that isn't aimed at a typical anime demo, regardless of quality, will have very different tropes and beats from most anime. most anime has engineered a scenario in which their avenue to making money is fleecing a few fans for a ton of money, rather than a lot of fans for a bit of money, so you wind up with anime that are both hyperspecific and targeting the same few previously successful tropes with slight variation.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Shinjobi posted:

This season the problem children were "I shaved and took a high school girl home" and "Tokyo revengers." The first was more curiosity to see how they'd handle the series, and the show was quickly dropped after a few too many moments of POV lingering shots on scantily clad troubled high school girl and other odd choices. I was still curious about the story but I wasn't going to put up with creepy poo poo to follow it.

Show rules. The characters are well written and I've only become more invested with time. I feel like the 'creepy poo poo' is actually a choice rather than just something to go after the lowest common denominator.

Not that I'm not the lowest common denominator.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

The Colonel posted:

thanks for remembering to look up the unicode for ™

alt+173

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Seriously, this was an incredible sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dGezpiZmJU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

College Slice
I don't think I've ever been as happy with a show as I've been with Vivy Flourite's Eye Song as its been "UUURGH SO GOOD!!!!" every episode now. I don't think there's been anyone watching it that had any complaints that didn't eventually sort themselves.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Mashiro no Oto is even better now that every plot thread has come crashing together into one big family succession drama.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

Mashiro no Oto is even better now that every plot thread has come crashing together into one big family succession drama.

... which the protagonist has absolutely zero interest in.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Darth Walrus posted:

Seriously, this was an incredible sequence:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dGezpiZmJU

well drat dude, if you insist, i'll watch that anime.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Appoda posted:

Also, just about any medium is full of trash, but anime can be especially trashy and I don't see how you can watch it regularly without stumbling into tropes or archetypes you have strong criticisms for.

You can avoid a lot of that at the outset by recognizing those things in the promo art, plot summaries, PV, etc. I discard a whole lot of shows right off the bat without giving them a chance because they're full of stuff I dislike and I don't care if I'm missing some hidden gem or that every single other person on earth loves it. I don't agree that anime is particularly trashy over other types of media but it's generally not subtle and lets you know who a show is for right on the face of it.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i miss lots of stuff i might have enjoyed. that's life for you.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i haven't really cared for the team stuff in mashiro, and it's still kinda lame how they swerved into this high school stuff to begin with, but at least they've kept setsu centered in the show regardless so there's something to care about. maybe if the team stuff didn't feel so abbreviated it could carry more of that sports vibe but i just never really got it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Lemon-Lime posted:

The whole tournament though just feels like a good chunk of filler. We never characterized any of the competing teams beyond paying lip service to a few individuals, so there's no reason to care or be invested in the group results. I also think it's really tired by now how they keep doing the mystical shamisen worship and still haven't said anything concrete about technique or how the shamisen is played. Does the author know how to play the shamisen? The writing sure doesn't sound like it.

Strange Quark fucked around with this message at 15:52 on Jun 8, 2021

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

The last episode of Wonder Egg Priority is supposed airing this month right?

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

on the 30th, yes

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I used to think anime was particularly trashy but then I watched some american tv shows and it turns out that it's not just anime

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Raenir Salazar posted:

I don't think I've ever been as happy with a show as I've been with Vivy Flourite's Eye Song as its been "UUURGH SO GOOD!!!!" every episode now. I don't think there's been anyone watching it that had any complaints that didn't eventually sort themselves.

I'm staying strong and binging it next season personally.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

The ways that anime is trashy are fairly consistent and quite easy to pick up on, but I don't think any have quite reached the same depths as say Jerry Springer knock offs or Who's Your Daddy a game show in which an adult who was adopted as a child has to guess her biological father out of a lineup where everyone else is an imposter who will win a cash prize if they trick her into picking wrong. If only because the medium of animation makes such direct and personal exploitation impractical. Whereas for live action endeavors there is no end to desperate Americans you can exploit.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm staying strong and binging it next season personally.

I really wish I could go an entire season without watching anything so that I can binge subsequent seasons. I lack the willpower.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

The whole tournament though just feels like a good chunk of filler. We never characterized any of the competing teams beyond paying lip service to a few individuals, so there's no reason to care or be invested in the group results. I also think it's really tired by now how they keep doing the mystical shamisen worship and still haven't said anything concrete about technique or how the shamisen is played. Does the author know how to play the shamisen? The writing sure doesn't sound like it.

The tournament isn't really about who wins or loses, though. It's about Setsu learning about other styles and philosophies of music in his quest to discover an identity for himself. Like, yeah, his parents care about how he places, but they're pretty clearly in the wrong for it.

Your other complaint is a little odd too, given that the show has been laser-focused on style and technique, and has taken pains to show how its cast of performers look and sound completely different even when playing the same piece of music. It's just that most of the precise mechanics and terminology behind it are treated as assumed knowledge, without lengthy exposition for the audience - someone will just use a particular technique, and the show will expect us to put two and two together about why their music sounds different.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

marumaru posted:

I really wish I could go an entire season without watching anything so that I can binge subsequent seasons. I lack the willpower.

Oh, I'm still watching a bunch of good stuff this season. I just don't have the time on hand for a few of the other good stuff like 86, Vivy and Oddtaxi. Next season is pretty light for me so I'll fit them in there.

Also

https://twitter.com/wep_anime/status/1402188656455028738

Wonder Egg finale set to be about an hour long.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Yeah I feel like I've seen enough anime that I can basically tell at a glance if a show is trash, there's very obvious tropes at play from either the title (obvious give away with the AI generated titles!) or the summary. Harem is usually a dead give away. But, sometimes there's a "I know this is probably trash but something about that premise gets me at a fundamental level and I want to check it out."

I think sometimes when I poke my head into the thread and see one of the shows I skipped over might actually be good and then I check it out; either because it's really contentious or people are singing its praises, either way.

A recent thing for me has been Anitubers who write reviews like Mother's Basement, Akidearest or Gigguk and I check things out based on their write ups.

Terrible Opinions posted:

everyone else is an imposter

drat. That's a short round then.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

So latest The Saint's Magic Power is Omnipotent leads to a change in scenery, some new characters and new problems and a revelation that was obvious to anyone with half a brain. The Saint's magic power is love.

I like how the new characters fit neatly into the plot without disrupting the status quo too much while still having their own agendas, like the mercenary and the alchemist both want the Saint's power for different reasons. Speaking of half a brain though, the Commander still doesn't quite seem to get that Sei is totally into him, he's got maybe half a clue after this week's episode but I'm going to start calling him Captain Oblivious if he doesn't make a move soon.

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

Lol at everyone seeing the word "trash" and their eyes going red. I should have known better considering this is exactly how the conversation started, but that was in the context of, you know, anime criticism and the discussion thereof. But don't worry, no one dogpiles here, and everyone is so media-savvy that they've never seen a show they don't like or found themselves disappointed by the end of it. :rolleyes:

Trashiness was not the subject. The subject was interesting shows that didn't meet expectations and are worthy of discussion on an internet forum.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
was i dogpiling i was just kinda vomiting out vague thoughts at 12am

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

seems like a healthy response to a few people misinterpreting your post

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
honestly i was just kind of in a state of sleepiness and feeling like complaining about shows briefly and felt like typing up an effort post as an excuse to say itjat mai hime is my least favorite magical girl anime and the wonder egg guy sucks and i wish people didn't hype him up as a primo lgbt narrative writer around the start of airing. i bore no ill intent towards you or your post

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

'anime can be especially trashy'
'eh i dont think so'

Appoda posted:

Lol at everyone seeing the word "trash" and their eyes going red. I should have known better considering this is exactly how the conversation started, but that was in the context of, you know, anime criticism and the discussion thereof. But don't worry, no one dogpiles here, and everyone is so media-savvy that they've never seen a show they don't like or found themselves disappointed by the end of it.

if these are the kinds of people our 'dogpiling' is driving away then i think we're doing a good job?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I think a pile of dogs sounds like a fun time, but I'm a sucker for a good pooch

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

Appoda posted:

Lol at everyone seeing the word "trash" and their eyes going red. I should have known better considering this is exactly how the conversation started, but that was in the context of, you know, anime criticism and the discussion thereof. But don't worry, no one dogpiles here, and everyone is so media-savvy that they've never seen a show they don't like or found themselves disappointed by the end of it. :rolleyes:

Trashiness was not the subject. The subject was interesting shows that didn't meet expectations and are worthy of discussion on an internet forum.

Posts are an especially trashy medium and the above quote is a good example of that!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Appoda
Oct 30, 2013

I'm not upset at anyone in particular, I just found it kind of funny that the "trash" thing became the essence of that post. I get it, it's a loaded term and I probably should have used more discreet language, but I figured it wouldn't matter in the context of talking about things that aren't trash.

To talk about anime instead of talking about the talking about anime, I've been following three shows: To Your Eternity, Jouran, and Vivy. They all have a commonality in that they're fairly reliant on sad moments and emotional appeals to carry their themes; for my $0.02, Eternity has really hit for those moments, while the other two have been mixed to eeeh.

I'm fully onboard with Eternity; there's a certain theme of futility and seeing how the characters deal with failure or being dealt a losing hand that I find really compelling. The pre-modern vibes and stylings of the setting go great with it, too; you don't see pre- written history societies depicted very often, especially in anime, and To Your Eternity does a wonderful job with that while also showing a great deal of empathy and nuance toward cultural depictions that often get stereotyped or stigmatized. I could easily see the child abandonment or human sacrifice stories getting hamfisted by a lesser story.

Vivy started off as my jam (I love robots/androids/AI/cool ladies who kick things), but boy it fell off a cliff for me around the middle. It has so many interesting themes and concepts to latch onto, but really doesn't care about any of them. :v: Like there's a thousand different directions you could go with the subjects of loss, consciousness, humanity, the function of "music" in society, what it means to live alongside manufactured intelligence, and so on, but the writing feels like it came from someone who has just recently heard of any of these things. The show is more interested in contrived, overly saccharine moments that make their world seem dystopic, but without any real commentary on the state of dystopia itself. It just feels like a lot of missed opportunities.

It's a good example of what I mean by a show that isn't totally meritless, but has some problems worth discussing. Jouran, on the other hand... It's very pretty but I don't think there's much to say about the plot or characters. It kinda just digs the same hole the entire way through.

On the subject of Wonder Egg, I'd be interested in any big effort posts about the plot and wrap-up, to get other perspectives. My group was waaay into Wonder Egg from the start; it makes such a good impression. By the end tho, boy. Some are giving the Usagi Drop treatment of "I'm just gonna pretend the show ended here and the rest doesn't exist."