Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Chris James 2 posted:

I see The Amusement Park is on Shudder now, gonna watch that when I’m home from work

Caught it in theaters over the weekend. It's good.

Willy Wonka was absolutely dreadful. I was going to say it's peak "not giving a poo poo," but then I remembered he did Alice in Wonderland.

e: By which, yes, of course I mean the Depp not the Wilder

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Chris James 2 posted:

I see The Amusement Park is on Shudder now, gonna watch that when I’m home from work

Funny I was just wondering earlier today when this would finally be out.

Between Amusement Park and the slasher with the spooky statue I might have to re-up my shudder today.

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

feedmyleg posted:

Caught it in theaters over the weekend. It's good.

Charlie and the Chocolate FactoryWilly Wonka was absolutely dreadful. I was going to say it's peak "not giving a poo poo," but then I remembered he did Alice in Wonderland.

Please don’t besmirch the good name of Willy Wonka

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

I Am No One is literally the biggest film disappointment I have ever witnessed. For a movie I got from Fred Vogel, it could literally have been rated PG-13 if it weren't for the use of the word gently caress. The entire movie is just a dude talking edgy poo poo into a camera and then there's one, one-minute scene where he holds a knife while a dude lays in a bathtub with some ketchup on him. It's like 45 minutes long and absolute garbage.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Lol

FoneBone
Oct 24, 2004
stupid, stupid rat creatures

married but discreet posted:

Anyone see The Samurai on Shudder? It looks like it could be really good or suck tremendously

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIc530LsSxM

watched this last night and enjoyed it a lot, good queer-themed Pride month viewing

apparently Shudder previously had it available a few years ago in a censored version (where a brief shot of an erect penis had a black bar over it) but that is intact, so to speak, in the version now streaming

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Looks like Bryan Fuller is remaking Christine. I'm in :shrug:

TheBizzness posted:

Between Amusement Park and the slasher with the spooky statue I might have to re-up my shudder today.

Don't forget to catch season 2 of Creepshow, it's way better than season 1.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:48 on Jun 8, 2021

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

They don't need to remake Christine its already a perfect movie and one of the best King adaptations.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I'm down for it if only for the sweet opening credits sequence.

E: FYI there's a live viewing and Q&A for The Amusement Park on Shudder tonight:

quote:

LIVE WATCH & VIRTUAL PANEL EVENT FOR THE PREMIERE
OF GEORGE A. ROMERO’S ‘THE AMUSEMENT PARK’

Tuesday, June 8 at 8:05PM ET (Film) & 9PM ET (Panel)

New York, NY – June 7, 2021 – To celebrate the premiere of the George A. Romero’s “lost” and restored film, The Amusement Park, Shudder is hosting a live watch followed by a virtual panel on the film and its place within the pioneering independent filmmaker’s influential body of work.

The screening will be available to Shudder members via the Shudder TV feed in the U.S. and Canada on Tuesday at 8:05pm ET, as well as on demand to Shudder members worldwide. Immediately following at 9pm ET on Shudder TV and on Shudder’s YouTube channel, the panel “Reviving Romero’s The Amusement Park” will feature a conversation between Suzanne Desrocher Romero, founder and president of the George A. Romero Foundation; award-winning horror author and educator Tananarive Due (Horror Noire); author Daniel Kraus, who completed Romero’s posthumous novel, The Living Dead; Fangoria editor-in-chief Phil Nobile Jr.; and Sandra Schulberg, president and executive director of IndieCollect who supervised the film’s 4K restoration. The panel will be moderated by Shudder curator Samuel Zimmerman. Fans are encouraged to join the conversation with @Shudder during the film and panel using the hashtag #TheAmusementPark.

flashy_mcflash fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Jun 8, 2021

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Hollismason posted:

They don't need to remake Christine its already a perfect movie and one of the best King adaptations.

I don't know about that. It's a terrific film and definitely top-tier King, but I recall the middle sagging and the ending being underwhelming.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Kvlt! posted:

I Am No One is literally the biggest film disappointment I have ever witnessed. For a movie I got from Fred Vogel, it could literally have been rated PG-13 if it weren't for the use of the word gently caress. The entire movie is just a dude talking edgy poo poo into a camera and then there's one, one-minute scene where he holds a knife while a dude lays in a bathtub with some ketchup on him. It's like 45 minutes long and absolute garbage.

Lol. I thought from reading the description it would be some sort of Henry-esque take on the Charles Ng/Leonard Lake murders which could be horrifyingly brutal. Oh well, thank you for your sacrifice.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Would the new Christine be a 1995 Dodge Intrepid?

Explosivo12
Oct 29, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Hollismason posted:

Agreed. Besides, I’m tired of King movies/stories. He’s horror’s Marvel. Can we please move on and tell other stories from other amazing authors? We’ve gone down that rabbit hole. Tough to be afraid of a story that is no longer original, new or compelling. As we have seen with the recent incarnation of IT and Pet Cemetery, sometimes a new amalgamation of a distant relic only serves to heighten the once effective horror film as lightning in a bottle. There are some amazing authors out there not named King, Lovecraft, and Barker. Great short stories. Let’s get some love out there for some original content.

The beauty of horror films is you have a faithful following of freaks like myself that eat that poo poo up. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel with remaking classics. Just make new classics.

Class3KillStorm
Feb 17, 2011

feedmyleg posted:

I don't know about that. It's a terrific film and definitely top-tier King, but I recall the middle sagging and the ending being underwhelming.

Very true to the book.

Christine worked because of John Carpenter, because that man can spin gold out of trash. I'm a lot less sure that Bryan Fuller will be able to do the same thing with a feature film, as opposed to a multi-season show. (Also, has Fuller directed anything before? I only know of him as a producer.)

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

I love Christine already, but having one of my favorite show runners directing a remake? I'm cool with that. Bryan Fuller is the only person I could think of that could maybe top a Carpenter film and could adapt a King property with his own spin and pinache.

now finishing it is a whole other story. hopefully Blumhouse knows what he's getting into and just lets Fuller go and do the work.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Yea I mean at least it's a guy who has a track record of doing interesting stuff. I certainly wasn't optimistic that a Hannibal Lecter t.v. series could be worthwhile and that turned into one of my favorite shows of all time.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

I think I'm an outlier in that I find both Carpenter's Christine and Fuller's Hannibal to be kinda lame so this news just washed over me

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

Seriously though it's the best king adaptation and I don't think it's an interesting enough story to support a bunch of different perspectives and re-tellings. I'm sure Fuller is fine and all it would just be a weird project pick for anyone.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Something to keep in mind is that Christine is not really a widely known film anymore, it came out almost 40(!) years ago. In terms of mainstream, general public moviegoers I doubt many of them even know about it. You could do a very straightforward remake and I think there would still be value in that just because you'd be putting a spotlight back on the story. And maybe some people would also discover the Carpenter version.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Basebf555 posted:

Something to keep in mind is that Christine is not really a widely known film anymore, it came out almost 40(!) years ago. In terms of mainstream, general public moviegoers I doubt many of them even know about it. You could do a very straightforward remake and I think there would still be value in that just because you'd be putting a spotlight back on the story. And maybe some people would also discover the Carpenter version.

Wasn't it, oddly enough, the first Carpenter film to get a 4k UHD release?

I know it was the first 4k UHD I bought.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Franchescanado posted:

Wasn't it, oddly enough, the first Carpenter film to get a 4k UHD release?

I know it was the first 4k UHD I bought.

It was the first by like 2 weeks. Halloween UHD came out on the 28th of September 2018, Christine dropped 10th of September 2018.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yea I figured they just held the Halloween UHD back a few weeks just to get it a bit closer to October.

I think Christine is still the best Carpenter UHD to date, just because the material lends itself to the format a bit more than Halloween does(They Live looks great too though).

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Kvlt! posted:

Fuuuuck. I've been secretly anxious about your I Am No One endeavor for weeks now. This is a sad day indeed :(

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Iron Crowned posted:

Would the new Christine be a 1995 Dodge Intrepid?

She's a PT Cruiser.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

Get ready for Price Time, Bitch

The article says its a period piece set in the 80s which I guess is at least a good direction.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

So he'll direct the first act and then bail on the rest of the movie? :v:

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

I really liked Amusement Park :stare: drat

sticklefifer posted:

And be replaced by someone who completely fucks it up and also gets into deep poo poo backstage

Hannibal and American Gods really turned my opinion on Fuller fully to "whatever drama he may bring with wanting money, everyone else who could be there would be so much worse, just let him do his thing and it'll work out in terms of an entertaining product". It was astonishing how much AG became a clusterfuck once he was gone

DreadUnknown
Nov 4, 2020

Bird is the word.

Explosivo12 posted:

The beauty of horror films is you have a faithful following of freaks like myself that eat that poo poo up. There’s no need to reinvent the wheel with remaking classics. Just make new classics.
Its Pet Semetary not Cemetary.
I agree, like give me some Brian Lumley or something.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

Chris James 2 posted:

Hannibal and American Gods really turned my opinion on Fuller fully to "whatever drama he may bring with wanting money, everyone else who could be there would be so much worse, just let him do his thing and it'll work out in terms of an entertaining product".
And Hannibal as a franchise had been driven into the ground before re-imagined as a glorious official slash fic.

But also movie fans are way too precious about the idea of remakes. Storytelling is rooted in retelling. It's by its very nature. But more than that, no twelve year olds are digging back to watch Christine atm whereas a remake might also make them watch the original.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ1E2aLNGiM

cube 4: tube

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I saw Spiral! It was not good. Like every Saw film I’ve seen, it all falls apart the moment you think about it. Also the ending?

<Elevator door closes>
<credits start>
That felt like such a weird place to end. Also, are there not more cops on the ground floor? Or are there are a bunch of empty vehicles parked outside now and EVERYONE ran upstairs?
It’s just such a lazy film in places. Like when killing the police chief, they basically have to flat out tell you that she was a bent cop, because they never actually bothered to show her being one at any point prior.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Chris James 2 posted:

I really liked Amusement Park :stare: drat

It's unsubtle by today's standards but there's so many little things that I love about it. The opening preamble about how people are prevented from interacting with nature and society based on various factors is just incredible. The fortune teller scene is unbelievable too.

It's terrifying for sure, but even more so it's deeply sad. Apparently Romero himself watched the movie for the first time in years about six weeks before he died, and I can't imagine what that must be like to see at that late stage of your life.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, his wife said he was dismissive of it, and the film made a point of highlighting how wealth mitigates the negative elderly experience, so I don't imagine it's as significant as all that.

Great flick, though. Wish he'd had a hand in writing it, but he elevated the hell out of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Ginger Snaps Back: The Beginning
Well, I give it a lot of credit for doing something completely different again. It has by far the most werewolf action of the series which is I guess to be expected; there’s not a whole lot of mystery left as to what they look like in this series so might as well go all out. Unfortunately the wolfies are pretty hit or miss. Some look OK while others are Howling-sequel tier.

From what I can tell of the werewolf rules in this series, the wolf transformation appears to be one-way and once you’re a wolf monster, that’s it. That’s fairly novel, at least.

Despite the scenery and time period change of this one it felt a bit stale. Part of that was resetting the characters; we as the audience have already seen Ginger & B deal with a lot of this before.

Still it’s entertaining enough, and having 3/3 watchable movies with no sequels in sight* seems like a miracle for a werewolf series

* apparently there is a TV series in the works and I’m really not getting good vibes from it

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
A friend and I caught Ginger Snaps Back randomly on TV many years ago with no prior familiarity with the franchise or awareness that it was going to be a werewolf film, and within that very specific context it was a lot of fun.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Just finished Caveat on Shudder. Holy poo poo what a great movie. It has this pervasive sense of creeping dread throughout and I loved it.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

sticklefifer posted:

Yeah, I was going to ask how Class3KillStorm knew what Fuller's record was like on multi-season shows. He's the worst showrunner in the business, simply because he never fights his corner for his vision.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Is there a Horror games thread that anyone is aware of that I may have missed? If not, would people be interested in one?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

veni veni veni posted:

Is there a Horror games thread that anyone is aware of that I may have missed? If not, would people be interested in one?

Here ya go: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Oh drat I don't know how I missed that, thanks.