Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014
Does anyone have any particularly good YouTube campaign recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Alright, can someone please help me out here? Why can't I make this lady a shieldmaiden?

She has more than 12 prowess, she's norse, I'm norse. What am i missing?

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

She's married, so by definition not a maiden. Could that be it?

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose
Don't think so, her unmarried sister also has the same thing with 12 prowess.

Also, one of my married daughters has the option showing but greyed-out because she doesn't have the prowess.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

Grimey Drawer

How are u posted:

Hey if you want to start the game with a mental break that's your call to make. It's a 1/3 chance to get the correct tree and restarting the game takes like 30 seconds so I didn't find it onerous.

shameful

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Antlerhill posted:

Don't think so, her unmarried sister also has the same thing with 12 prowess.

Also, one of my married daughters has the option showing but greyed-out because she doesn't have the prowess.

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/threads/what-are-the-requirements-for-a-female-family-member-to-become-a-shieldmaiden.1462446/

quote:

For the proposee:
1. Not Incapable
2. Is a courtier
3. Is close family
4. Not already Shieldmaiden
5. Faith has Male Dominated doctrine
6. prowess >= decent_skill_rating
7. Adult
8. Not imprisoned

I bet nieces aren't close family, for shieldmaiden, kinslaying, or marriage purposes.

Antlerhill
Nov 6, 2012

Smellrose

That must be it. Thanks for your help.

drat, I'll have to manage without a lunatic warrior princess I guess.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
I've got a bit of an unusual situation. My children, one aged six and the other under that and my heir, are currently "absent from court" and I have no idea how to get them back. They had that status the moment my current player character assumed power and I've got no way to assign the six year old a guardian--the guardian window comes up blank because I guess I don't have any eligible courtiers to teach them in East Francia or whatever.

Any idea how to get them back?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Is their mother a landed ruler in another realm?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
No she is not. Previously my heir was also absent from court for unknown reasons.

scaterry
Sep 12, 2012

I Am Fowl posted:

I've got a bit of an unusual situation. My children, one aged six and the other under that and my heir, are currently "absent from court" and I have no idea how to get them back. They had that status the moment my current player character assumed power and I've got no way to assign the six year old a guardian--the guardian window comes up blank because I guess I don't have any eligible courtiers to teach them in East Francia or whatever.

Any idea how to get them back?

Post a picture? If it’s the bug I’m thinking of, you’ll might need console commands, or wait until they’re of age to invite them to court. Or plot to abduct and force-recruit.

KDdidit
Mar 2, 2007

Grimey Drawer
CK3 (and Imperator) only work after a full reboot. The second time I try to run them I get the splash screen with the PDX login, DLC, mods, settings, and stuff, then when I hit play it hangs on a black screen and then stops responding.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
I can't really say what the problem there is, but my instinct if I had that issue would be to check my running processes after quitting the game to see if it is actually shutting down properly. If it's still running in the background after "quitting" that might create some problems when it gets launched again. I don't know what you could do to resolve this properly but at the very least if this is what's happening, you could force terminate the executable from the task manager.

Traxis
Jul 2, 2006

I had an issue with the game not wanting to launch and uninstalling then reinstalling the Paradox Launcher solved it.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

https://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/developer-diary/ck3-dev-diary-63-1-4-0-azure-patch-notes.1478364/

Looks like patch coming later today?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

Game badly needs some sort of UI feature where you can sort out why you can or cannot press a claim and start a war. It's driving me nuts where I do things where I think I'm being clever that I think should work but nope somehow I've yet again misunderstood the system.

Consider for example the case where I'm trying to conquer Cornwall but can't.

I had the Duke in my dungeon and his heir was 12. I look at the people with claims on Cornwall and there's several women. I think great. I can marry the woman, kill the duke, then advance the woman's claim against the child? Right?

Nope! Doesn't work. Why? No idea.

PancakeTransmission
May 27, 2007

You gotta improvise, Lisa: cloves, Tom Collins mix, frozen pie crust...

Plaster Town Cop

Femtosecond posted:

Game badly needs some sort of UI feature where you can sort out why you can or cannot press a claim and start a war. It's driving me nuts where I do things where I think I'm being clever that I think should work but nope somehow I've yet again misunderstood the system.

Consider for example the case where I'm trying to conquer Cornwall but can't.

I had the Duke in my dungeon and his heir was 12. I look at the people with claims on Cornwall and there's several women. I think great. I can marry the woman, kill the duke, then advance the woman's claim against the child? Right?

Nope! Doesn't work. Why? No idea.
It would be nice if it told you why when you hovered over the claim or something (eg - greyed it out because you cannot use it?) - but the answer is probably because most religions are Male Dominated which means you cannot press a woman's claim against a man/boy. I've done that a few times by mistake too. Really, the game shouldn't even be announcing a claimant tooltip if they're useless to me.

quote:

Gluttonous: they have a high chance to avoid being murdered if the Poison food method is chosen
Wouldn't a gluttonous person eat all the poison?

quote:

Intimidated characters will not be afraid of joining a faction above its power threshold
Terrified vassals have a small chance of joining a faction above its power threshold
Characters with an opinion of 80+ will never join a faction
Welp, there goes my instant anti-faction tactic (executing lowborn heretics), but good to know that high opinion won't join now.

Edit: Current post-patch bugs for an existing game (unsure if this applies to new games):
  • Garrisons are stuck at 0, making sieges even for level 20 castles nearly instant
  • Factions keep creating and disbanding repeatedly every ~2 weeks(the same one)

PancakeTransmission fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Jun 8, 2021

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

PancakeTransmission posted:

Maybe it's supposed to imply that a gluttonous person would know their food tastes wrong and stops earlier? No idea.

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Gluttonous people are just used to eating so eating is less dangerous to them.

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
They just dilute the poison with all the other food!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

Mithridates Eupator? More like Mithridates You-Ate-Or, ammirite?

ilitarist
Apr 26, 2016

illiterate and militarist
Look how they massacred my boy.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!

ilitarist posted:

Look how they massacred my boy.

How have we wronged you, Sweden? :norway:

Um, I mean recently. Like in the last six hours.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Rip Haraldr Crazyhair

NeverHelm
Aug 9, 2017

Never attribute to malice that post which is adequately explained by a poor sense of humor.
Supposedly, that's what he was called before he united Norway and started grooming himself again. Though it's hard to tell how accurate that is given his legendary status.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
Maybe it's dynamic and he becomes Haraldr 'Tightfade' once he unites the kingdom.

PizzaProwler
Nov 4, 2009

Or you can see me at The Riviera. Tuesday nights.
Pillowfights with Dominican mothers.
Or he converts to Catholicism, becomes a monk, and is renamed Haraldr 'Chromedome'

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

This is a pretty good looking patch. This jumps out at me as weird though...

quote:

There will be no factions created by AI Vassals in the first years of the game to give enough time to stabilize existing realms.
1 year for Dukes
5 years for Kings
10 years for Emperors

So civil war in the Roman Empire is now impossible before 1076?

:thunk:

Roman Empire Patch When

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jun 8, 2021

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ok, my favorite of the new interactions is that if you're irritable, you can duel whoever the hell, but only if you're actually stressed out.

EDIT
Looks like they changed the one weird trick people were using to get out of partition succession.

Veryslightlymad fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Jun 8, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Veryslightlymad posted:

Ok, my favorite of the new interactions is that if you're irritable, you can duel whoever the hell, but only if you're actually stressed out.

EDIT
Looks like they changed the one weird trick people were using to get out of partition succession.

You mean house seniority with max crown authority? What was the fix?

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

It would be nice if it told you why when you hovered over the claim or something (eg - greyed it out because you cannot use it?) - but the answer is probably because most religions are Male Dominated which means you cannot press a woman's claim against a man/boy. I've done that a few times by mistake too. Really, the game shouldn't even be announcing a claimant tooltip if they're useless to me.

It's weird because I thought there was a loophole there that a woman can take over when the current ruler is a kid, but I dunno, is there some obfuscated rules going on here that just aren't highlighted to explain?
Could be:
* 12 is somehow "not a kid" but this is not really indicated.
* Insular Christianity is different or Cornwall is different.

I dunno. ugh so dumb. The developer failing to make this clear basically makes it so that I'm never gonna try this even though I know it's possible somehow.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
whoa i thought we were getting the MaA change with the next DLC, awesome

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So what are all the melting pot cultures/locations? I'm finally winding down on a full game (first ever between 2 and 3) and want to give one a go when the new dlc is out.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Canopus250 posted:

So what are all the melting pot cultures/locations? I'm finally winding down on a full game (first ever between 2 and 3) and want to give one a go when the new dlc is out.

The culture stuff is coming with Royal Court, which isn't due any time soon, I think they said after summer at some point.

The only melting pots which exist now are Normans I think, and for Normans in England to form English. Sicilian has an event that makes provinces adopt Sicilian culture, but that's as far as it goes. Russia not having one is ridiculous frankly.

e: oh there's Outremer for Frankish Catholics in the holy land, but you have to conquer all of Egypt, Palestine, Syria, Arabia and Mesopotamia to form it I think :iiam:

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 8, 2021

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

PittTheElder posted:

The culture stuff is coming with Royal Court, which isn't due any time soon, I think they said after summer at some point.

The only melting pots which exist now are Normans I think, and for Normans in England to form English. Sicilian has an event that makes provinces adopt Sicilian culture, but that's as far as it goes. Russia not having one is ridiculous frankly.

Yeah, I had meant the Norse ones. Maybe I'll wait for modders to come up with stuff after Royal Court drops before diving in.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I went to go start a game since the patch is out, was hoping to play as a vassal of somebody because the game is just far more fun that way, but holy hell it's nearly unplayable once you notice how loving badly the AI performs. From the 1066 start you can watch as top level rulers immediately grant all their vassals away to intermediate level vassals, hamstringing themselves in the process. And it happens every time, within months of starting the game. It's such an obvious problem, how is this allowed to persist?

"Congratulations on your accession to the throne, what would you like to do today sire"
"Please strengthen my most likely opponents as much as possible, can't see any problem with that!"

I probably need to stop playing this game. It has so much promise, and at it's core has a fun loop, but it's literally an inch deep. You can map paint, or you can incest it up, but that's about it.

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Jun 8, 2021

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

I went to go start a game since the patch is out, was hoping to play as a vassal of somebody because the game is just far more fun that way, but holy hell it's nearly unplayable once you notice how loving badly the AI performs. From the 1066 start you can watch as top level rulers immediately grant all their vassals away to intermediate level vassals, hamstringing themselves in the process. And it happens every time, within months of starting the game. It's such an obvious problem, how is this allowed to persist?

They also give out horrible contracts to everyone. It's just so tedious conquering a feudal empire because every single vassal has guaranteed council rights, title revocation protection, no levies or taxes . . . like geez no wonder you all just stood around and watched your emperor get conquered if you think this is gonna keep going the way it has been goddamn.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

SlothBear posted:

They also give out horrible contracts to everyone. It's just so tedious conquering a feudal empire because every single vassal has guaranteed council rights, title revocation protection, no levies or taxes . . . like geez no wonder you all just stood around and watched your emperor get conquered if you think this is gonna keep going the way it has been goddamn.

I mean this is functionally what happened to a lot of fuedal kingdoms

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well the taxes thing in the first place is kind of bananas. The whole point of military feudalism is to avoid having money change hands (because nobody has the cash required for that). Meanwhile the very existence of written contracts also doesn't stand up to scrutiny, this is a period where absolutely everything (in Western Europe) relies on deeply personal relationships and tradition, not written and enforced legal contracts.

Somewhere in the Suggestions forum (or maybe here?) I remember seeing a big effort post on civil wars, and how ridiculous they are as ruler vs. some subset of ruled and that's it. There's no loyalists, no people changing side, no expectation of rewarding the loyal; instead it's all hyper legalism. It's real bad.

Furthermore, where is investiture

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jun 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
In CK3 can you still blind and castrate inadequate first sons if Greek?