Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Phobophilia posted:

An interesting piece of news, especially for such a classic game:

https://www.polygon.com/22519568/resident-evil-4-copyright-infringement-lawsuit-capcom

My initial thought was some crank who claims someone stole their story, but no, this is a professional photographer and designer and some overworked Capcom employees/managers did a naughty and didn't license her work properly. And what she's asking for isn't that high.

This will probably be quietly settled.

Yikes, just saw this and looked through the PDF with the examples.

It's Resident Evil (original and HD remake), RE4, DMC1, DMC1 HD, DMC2, DMC3, RE: Outbreak, RE: Umbrella Corps. Lots of iconic textures that you might recognize from these games.

Haunting Ground isn't specified in the examples but I wouldn't be surprised if some of this art also snuck in there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Akuma posted:

Well no, because he doesn't work like that. You get to a fairly open area with puzzley bits, you run around and do the puzzles, Nemesis turns up in a predefined place and time and you run away through a corridor or stop and shoot him and move on to the next part of the game. Repeat.

My problem is that he's NOT like Mr X, or Jack, or Lady Dimitrescu. He's a set piece and that's it.

I don't think that kind of AI would've really worked with the RE3 level design, it's so narrow and cramped. I just got the platinum yesterday on it after giving up and finishing Inferno with the rocket launcher, and after playing through it ~5 times it feels like you fight Nemesis pretty much everywhere that's feasible. Toting the fire hose back to reach the power station are the only real points when he feels missing (he shows up once you're done at the power station, then again going back to the subway, then immediately after sewers is flamethrower chase, then rocket chase, then you're basically at the fuses/lab. It wouldn't make sense for him to pursue Carlos during his bits, and I don't think he would've worked in the hospital, too small).

In comparison to RE3 original, I understand the disappointment that RE3 is much more of a reimagining than RE2 was, as it is much more linear, fewer puzzles, missing Clock Tower, etc. But for the game they had, I feel like they realized that they couldn't just drop him in the streets portion without a) slowing him way down because there aren't good routes for evasion b) making dodge way more powerful to neuter him or c) reducing zombies in the environment and making it all chasing all the time. Seems like a similar story to the original RE3, not enough time in the oven and attention being split on another upcoming release.

Overall, REmake, RE2make, RE3make, 7 and 8 are all great. A faithful remake of 4 with the graphics of these new games would be fine by me... not sure about CV, 5 or 6. Maybe those could get more of the reimagining treatment. I'm struggling through CV on PS4 and not loving it, first time in 15 years.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Disco Pope posted:

You need to fight very little there, it's pretty regimented despite the presentation being chaotic. I think I fought about one enemy on my knife only run, but that was on casual.

In addition, if you’re blocking you won’t get grabbed so you can just block run past everything.

JordanKai
Aug 19, 2011

Get high and think of me.

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1402249050532024321

Looks like Resident Evil 8 will be mentioned at Capcom's E3 thingy. I wonder if they have big DLC plans or if things will be limited to a small Mercenaries expansion. Either way this has caused me to hold off on selling my copy, so good job, Capcom. :shepspends:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
Hell, I'm playing through the Chris part of RE7 and just figured out I can punch.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

JordanKai posted:

Looks like Resident Evil 8 will be mentioned at Capcom's E3 thingy. I wonder if they have big DLC plans or if things will be limited to a small Mercenaries expansion. Either way this has caused me to hold off on selling my copy, so good job, Capcom. :shepspends:

RE7 had like 6 mini-modes + 2 DLC sidestories so I expect Capcom is gonna lean hard into that and offer episodic stuff. They'd be insane not to do more Lady Dimitrescu content, especially with what a runaway critical and financial success its been

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I know it's a stupid fannish question but, do you think they'll bring Wesker back? Personally I'm not in favour of it. They should bring Ethan back.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

Halloween Jack posted:

I know it's a stupid fannish question but, do you think they'll bring Wesker back?

Yes.

Jake Wesker

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Winters was just the cover last name given to Ethan years ago.

He’s actually Ethan Wesker

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Been co-oping with a buddy through RE5 which we beat and had a blast with and have started to make headway into RE6. Went into RE6 with low expectations and having watched an LP of it forever ago and man. I'm having fun since I lowered my expectations but it still has such ridiculous design choices in it it's just bafflingly stupid.

We just beat Leon's campaign last night and man, I totally forgot about the whole Simmon's fight progressions and the goddamn shark. Why did they need to add in the shark? Why did Helena's sister need to be a "party girl" so her acting like a stripper as a zombie as she tries to murder you make sense? Why is your inventory limited when the game gleefully throws weapons, the ammo for those weapons and various throwables while also needing to keep at least two slots for combing herbs open? Just so many :psyduck: design decisions while also adding in genuinely fun things, like the entire melee system.

We started up Chris's campaign and... is this what you call character assassination? I'm genuinely enjoying doing a melee skill build and just knifing and punching every J'avo we encounter unless they're out of arms reach but man every cutscene hurts my soul.

Evil Kit fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Jun 8, 2021

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

RE8 felt like a massive "close the book" moment on so many threads so I doubt Wesker will come back and that's for the best. I think the only unresolved plot thread still out there concerns the ending to Revelations 2.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

By shooting myself in the head while I have you at my mercy my plan will <voice trails off>

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

JordanKai posted:

https://twitter.com/CapcomUSA_/status/1402249050532024321

Fingers crossed for Ace Attorney DLC where Ethan sues the poo poo out of all Four Lords, leading to (spoiled for RE8 plot reasons) Mother Miranda being forced to reassemble Rose on the stand so Phoenix has to cross-examine a baby.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

DLC Inc posted:

RE8 felt like a massive "close the book" moment on so many threads so I doubt Wesker will come back and that's for the best. I think the only unresolved plot thread still out there concerns the ending to Revelations 2.

There are a few more than that, but some of them are super inside baseball. The only reason why I wouldn't discount them entirely is because Capcom's proven it's willing to mine the back catalogue from time to time.

The biggest one I can think of offhand, which they may be downplaying due to the fan reaction to RE6, is the existence of "The Family." In the RE universe, the Illuminati is real, it's financially influential, and it probably wants Ada dead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I like how the Mold in RE7 introduces the possibility of a virtual reality afterlife in some kind of organic mycocomputer, but I would not like the T-G-Whatever-Virus to become this way for them to just bring back characters whenever they want to like it's Big Two comics.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Hope we get some dumb RE8 DLC

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I just want Joe and Zoe's Romanian Vacation, is this too much to ask

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Monkey Fracas posted:

Hope we get some dumb RE8 DLC

Heisenberg battle bots

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost
The BSAA is just so impressed with Joe punching mold monsters to death with his bare hands that they drop him into The Village so he can clean the place out of lycans and other gribblies by reenacting Fist of the North Star on them.

EDIT: His codename is CHERNOBOG because he's hunting for a remnant Lycan that's developing resurgent spores of the megamycete named Belobog.

Extra Edit: Turns out Belobog is actually a mutamycete revenant of Jack, who's just trying to recreate his family and live a quiet existence in this big empty quarantine zone. You learn that he knows what he is and doesn't want to spread beyond those borders, but at heart he is a family man and the Winters' got a second chance, so why not the Baker's? Maybe they can even get some reception out here for the Saints Sharks games?

But now it's too late because the Connections know of his resurrection and are very, very interested in the possibilities.

It fits because Chernobog and Belobog are brothers in the mythology, you see. Both sides of the same existence, and Jack does bring up a great point about what constitutes redemption and second chances. Bioweapons get to be a grey-area technology for a little bit before we go back to your regularly scheduled end of the world scenario.

Dr. Red Ranger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Jun 8, 2021

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Halloween Jack posted:

I know it's a stupid fannish question but, do you think they'll bring Wesker back? Personally I'm not in favour of it. They should bring Ethan back.

If you loved Lady Dimetrescu just wait til you get a load of Lady Dimewesku!

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Wanderer posted:

There are a few more than that, but some of them are super inside baseball. The only reason why I wouldn't discount them entirely is because Capcom's proven it's willing to mine the back catalogue from time to time.

The biggest one I can think of offhand, which they may be downplaying due to the fan reaction to RE6, is the existence of "The Family." In the RE universe, the Illuminati is real, it's financially influential, and it probably wants Ada dead.

doesn't the Chris dlc for 7 literally state there is a shadow organization they're trying to pin down the controls the world through the shadows and bioweapons?

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

afaik the threads they could still dig into are

- Alex Wesker possibly reincarnated in that creepy little girl
- The Connections/Family group that helped promote poo poo for the big bads
- "Blue Umbrella," whatever the gently caress that even was/is
- BSAA's suspicious "soldiers"

Wesker, Spencer, Marcus, Ashford, and Birkin are all dead + many of the protagonists in RE history have aged considerably or retired (Rebecca, iirc, is a scientist now). RE6 ended in a weird way with BOWs still a thing I guess + Jake and Sherry doing stuff afterwards. Would be surprised if one or both didn't show up for RE9, whatever that may look like.

If I was to make a nostalgic game I'd hope the datamined "HUNK" game that was on a data leak is just a fanservice all-stars game wherein you just play Hunk through like 3 or 4 RE games.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

DLC Inc posted:

Moira/Barry teamup please

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Just give me another pure mercenaries game, Capcom

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
RE8 Dating Sim/Stealth DLC where you play as Miranda and infiltrate the Winters household. Play homemaker to keep up the deception. You also have to keep Ethan from injuring his hands like that game about the dad not letting his baby kill itself.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
It's high time for a Resident Evil Gaiden remake. Give us the turn based RPG RE we deserve!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
If I were Ethan, I would definitely have killed the little old lady in the rocking chair.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DLC Inc posted:

Captain Hygiene posted:

Moira/Barry teamup please
Alex Wesker as a good girl because she was raised by Barry. She leaves to turn off some deadman’s switch thing in a secret base of her previous incarnation, with Moira and Barry coming to save her despite her not being in trouble at all.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Scrap Dragon posted:

Just give me another pure mercenaries game, Capcom

I want a real Mercs game so bad. I don't even care if it was live service or whatever just give me a game with a constant stream of RE fan service suplex action.

Dr. Red Ranger
Nov 9, 2011

Nap Ghost

Policenaut posted:

I want a real Mercs game so bad. I don't even care if it was live service or whatever just give me a game with a constant stream of RE fan service suplex action.

Just do the beloved Mass Effect 3 Multiplayer formula with Resident Evil characters, weapons, enemies and settings. I guess you don't have biotic or tech powers to differentiate the player characters as much but I'm sure something can be worked out. Sell it as bioweapon manufacturing organizations trying to go live on the world stage, and you're being sent out on surgical strike missions to sabotage their labs/assassinate a local head monster/steal data/whatever. Maybe even have classic scenarios for special events. You think you and 3 buddies can play out the fall of Raccoon City better than the local pd? Prove it on the Resident Evil Anniversary 2022 event.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

DLC Inc posted:

afaik the threads they could still dig into are

- The Connections/Family group that helped promote poo poo for the big bads
- "Blue Umbrella," whatever the gently caress that even was/is
- BSAA's suspicious "soldiers"

Wesker, Spencer, Marcus, Ashford, and Birkin are all dead + many of the protagonists in RE history have aged considerably or retired (Rebecca, iirc, is a scientist now). RE6 ended in a weird way with BOWs still a thing I guess + Jake and Sherry doing stuff afterwards. Would be surprised if one or both didn't show up for RE9, whatever that may look like.

If I was to make a nostalgic game I'd hope the datamined "HUNK" game that was on a data leak is just a fanservice all-stars game wherein you just play Hunk through like 3 or 4 RE games.

I feel like Blue Umbrella was pretty exhaustively explained in the "Not a Hero DLC" and it was kind of a wet fart. I'm sure it'll come up if the BSAA angle is pursued.

What I'd like to see is either a) Resident Medieval or b) bio-ghosts

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

What is RE Verse supposed to be and why isn't it a Mercenaries/ME3MP hybrid that prints money?

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Evil Kit posted:

doesn't the Chris dlc for 7 literally state there is a shadow organization they're trying to pin down the controls the world through the shadows and bioweapons?

That's the Connections, the group that created Eveline. They're dealt with in slightly more detail in RE8, although most of it is in the file you only get if you bought the deluxe edition. Their ties to Miranda (Eveline was apparently created with DNA from Miranda's dead daughter, somehow) are how Chris got on Miranda's tail in the first place.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

SettingSun posted:

What is RE Verse supposed to be and why isn't it a Mercenaries/ME3MP hybrid that prints money?

It's like some kind of law that they have to keep making terrible multiplayer spinoffs everyone forgets. I think they were cursed by witches or something.

Caffeinated Jerkoff
Jul 13, 2014

SettingSun posted:

Based on the trailer and some beta footage, it's an arena shooter where you play as RE protagonists then after you die you can play as bioweapons sort of like Star Wars: Battlefront

Seems like Capcom is determined to keep trying "[Multiplayer Game] but with Resident Evil characters" until it sticks

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Then just remake Outbreak, goddammit.

Solomonic
Jan 3, 2008

INCIPIT SANTA

Caffeinated Jerkoff posted:

Seems like Capcom is determined to keep trying "[Multiplayer Game] but with Resident Evil characters" until it sticks

Someday one of those attempts will be "Outbreak sequel", and when it is... :yeshaha:

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd like to see the series take a fresh approach and put things in an entirely different environment somehow. Not sure what that might be but maybe like an Arizona desert ghost town or some sort of mountainous region somewhere in Nepal. Hell, set it in like Key West or something. Or take a page from The Thing and slap it in an Arctic region.

Personally, I like the idea of a Disney style amusement park where all the underground tunnels and poo poo lead to the secret lab and half the zombies are wearing mascot costumes or cheesy tourist clothes and poo poo. A Haunted Mansion with fake scares combined with real ones might be cool. Plus, you have all your key finding and locked areas already built in.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Resident Evil...in space

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Captain Hygiene posted:

Resident Evil...in space

Hellraiser did it, Friday the 13th did it, it’s RE’s time