Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold
You don’t need a $100 router. I got my Archer A6 for $45 and a under $60 router like Jim posted will do just fine as well. The A6 connects at 866mbps while Virtual Desktop tops out at 150? 200? Mbps. The isolation, direct Ethernet to PC, and short, unimpeded router to headset distance matter far more.

And yeah, an ISP provided router is going to be garbage, don’t tar all wireless connections with that brush.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah I don't want to seem elitist or anything but you can have the near-perfect experience just getting a wifi 6 router. I live in an apartment building with a ton of networks and I only got a tiny Asus AX one. It was future proofing as well, the router (some red, tekno-beetle 7200AC monstrosity I got for cheap) I was using before moving was overkill for our space. Or get the 25$ wifi 6 usb adapter if your PC is relatively close, I don't know how good those antenna are.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
I've just played about an hour of SUPERHOT-VR

It's the most innovative shooter I've played in years!

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

njsykora posted:

VD and AirLink work for me 80% of the time, but having a cable for the times when it’s inexplicably stuttery I would consider more important than spending $20 on an app that’s going to be obsoleted by the firmware eventually.

Keep in mind that VD with HEVC is like twice as clear as Airlink is on h.264.

I really hope airlink adds support for it at some point, but for now in something like a flight sim there is no comparison.

Edit: So it looks like it does actually use HEVC, but for the life of me I cannot get it even close to VD quality at the same framerate. I should just play around with the oculus & steam settings to see what works.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 06:54 on Jun 7, 2021

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Morter posted:

Yeah, a few years ago my buddy had a room-scale Oculus setup and he threw that on to test for the parry he was having.

People thought I had gone home I spent so much time on it. It's amazing fun.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Turin Turambar posted:

Facebook definition of 'free' is funny. I received the new facial interface in my home... except I had to sent the UPS guy back with it, because they sent it from USA and not from Europe, and they wanted 22€ from customs, lol.

(20 days later)

Ok, finally got mine. FB paid the tariff.

chippy
Aug 16, 2006

OK I DON'T GET IT

Morter posted:

Quite agree, I was absolutely blown away. I'd played the non-VR version a little and thought it was a cool mechanic, but didn't get that hooked into the game. But the VR version is something else. Literally one of the best gaming experiences I've had I think. It really feels like a real version of the sort of slow-mo imaginary gunfights that I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed as kids (and adults), really taps into the fun of that. And whereas on the PC you could stop time by just taking your hands off the mouse and keyboard, in VR you've got the physical challenge of having to hold your body still, sometimes in weird poses, to get as much time as possible.

Also it's the only game so far that's given me a genuine immersion related scare. I was crouched down on the edge of a platform, went to grab a shotgun that was flying over my head and lost my balance. As I turned round, tried to put my hand down to balance myself and realise that there wasn't any ground behind me to put it on and I was in fact about to fall quite a distance, I completely forgot that I was in a game and absolutely shat a brick. Adrenaline absolutely pumping. I had to take the headset off and sit down for a couple of minutes after that.

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

I think my NES is broken....

Bondematt posted:

Keep in mind that VD with HEVC is like twice as clear as Airlink is on h.264.

I really hope airlink adds support for it at some point, but for now in something like a flight sim there is no comparison.

Edit: So it looks like it does actually use HEVC, but for the life of me I cannot get it even close to VD quality at the same framerate. I should just play around with the oculus & steam settings to see what works.

Do you have an AMD card? Airlink looks like rear end on AMD.

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:coolspot:
Seashells by the
Seashorpheus
So with the Quest 2...would it be better to buy games off of Steam, versus on the OQ2's library directly, that way I can play on other devices?

Or would it be better to buy (for now) on the OQ2 for best performance?

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Morter posted:

So with the Quest 2...would it be better to buy games off of Steam, versus on the OQ2's library directly, that way I can play on other devices?

Or would it be better to buy (for now) on the OQ2 for best performance?

Pros and cons of buying in Steam vs Quest native:

Pros of buying on Steam:
-Possibly cheaper price (sales are more common, more competition in the Steam store drive prices a bit lower)
-You don't lose your games if you jump out of the Quest ecosystem and buy a pc headset in the future
-PC versions have better graphics. Sometimes a jump of a pair of generations (HL Alyx)
-You can try to do weird stuff like mix & match headset and other controllers. I believe??
-More options like custom controller presets and more advanced settings

Cons:
-You lose the 'portability' aspect of the device. IE taking it to another room or the parent's house.
-Dependency of having a gaming pc, and not being used by another person if you don't live alone.
-You need a decent router/uncongestioned wifi or lose the wireless VR aspect.
-Slight impact on the graphics as the streaming tech will compress the video, although given the better graphics on PC, it's still a net gain.
-On Quest, if the app is crossbuy, you gain the Oculus pc version of it for free. This Oculus pc version may nullify several of the points above.
-Slight performance impact in comparison with the Oculus sdk (in case you have the oculus pc version).
-The other side of the coin to more options: overall jankiness, with convoluted interface and confusing options.
-Even more possible jankiness in the games themselves, with some older games not being well adapted to the controllers, while in Quest they have a more console-like experience, less variation of user hardware, more stable software, etc.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Just finished HL:A finally, after taking a years-long break in the middle. The last half is very strong. Those ending setpieces were great. Really wish performance wasn't bugged on Oculus - it was acceptable but tons of weird judders especially in that last parking lot sequence. SteamVR games in general seem to be really bad for performance, even something like Jet Island isn't as good as it was on the Vive. OpenComposite works for a lot of stuff like Skyrim to deliver 90fps, but Alyx and Jet Island don't work with it so far out of the stuff I've tried.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Ho-lee poo poo. :siren: AUSGOONS :siren:

EB Games is taking preorders for the Valve Index in Australia

Releases on the 18th of August, prices below;

• $500AUD for the controllers,
  • $1000AUD for the HMD,
  • $249AUD per Base Station 2.0
  • $1899AUD for the full set

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Jun 7, 2021

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• $1000AUD for the HMD,

Only $200 aud overcharge in comparison with Europe prices!

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Turin Turambar posted:

Only $200 aud overcharge in comparison with Europe prices!

$1000AUD for the HMD is pretty great though (relatively-speaking, it's the same price as the Vive Pro HMD typically was), as is $249AUD for the base stations considering HTC flog them for $330AUD apiece.

Just having the drat thing in Australia means I might finally be able to give one a try one day and see if if it's actually usable for me with the IPD maxed out.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
You poor blokes. The markup on everything is insane.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

.Ataraxia. posted:

Do you have an AMD card? Airlink looks like rear end on AMD.

3080, but I do have a 5600x if that matters.

Messing with the settings and some guides say to keep Steam at 100% and some say to match resolution that you set in the oculus app. Neither seems to actually help, it just drops the FPS.

Any good guides on settings for Airlink with Steam VR?

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

Bondematt posted:

3080, but I do have a 5600x if that matters.

Messing with the settings and some guides say to keep Steam at 100% and some say to match resolution that you set in the oculus app. Neither seems to actually help, it just drops the FPS.

Any good guides on settings for Airlink with Steam VR?

Make sure you bump up the resolution in the device settings for the Quest 2 in Oculus PC App. This sets the resolution that airlink will run at. I run at the max and it looks amazing. (Max is the resolution that will get you closest to 'native' pixel mapping. Native resolution in VR is weird because of lens distortion. You need to render games at approximately 1.4x the native res of the VR headsets display)

For Steam, set it to 100% and then leave it alone forever. It's a multiplier on top of the resolution you set in the device settings on Oculus PC App. The max resolution available in the Oculus PC app is already insane so you don't need anything higher than that (and your PC would have a tough time).

.Ataraxia.
Apr 3, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Just finished HL:A finally, after taking a years-long break in the middle. The last half is very strong. Those ending setpieces were great. Really wish performance wasn't bugged on Oculus - it was acceptable but tons of weird judders especially in that last parking lot sequence. SteamVR games in general seem to be really bad for performance, even something like Jet Island isn't as good as it was on the Vive. OpenComposite works for a lot of stuff like Skyrim to deliver 90fps, but Alyx and Jet Island don't work with it so far out of the stuff I've tried.

Make sure you're setting the Steam VR super sampling to 100%. Also assuming you're on a Quest 2, the resolution it runs at is a lot higher than the original Vive. The games rendering at this higher resolution could explain the performance difference.

BrainDance
May 8, 2007

Disco all night long!

Is there any way to monitor the framerate for pcvr stuff when using the oculus runtime?

I use fpsvr for steamvr stuff, but that relies on steamvr so, sorta out of luck with the oculus runtime there and I wanna do some comparisons in a few games.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

https://developer.oculus.com/documentation/native/pc/dg-debug-tool/
All the performance monitoring stuff is under the HUD section.

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Kiss me up, touch me, fuckin' rock my world holmes, I don't care
Sometimes when I'm playing my Index it'll get like twice as dark and there's a rainbow effect on the bottom half of the image, it goes away if I restart Steam VR. Running it on a 1080ti, is this a GPU issue or do I need to replace my HMD or cable? I've only had it for two weeks.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Check your cable ends to make sure all are secure. Also make absolutely sure the USB port is a 3.0+.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Senator Drinksalot posted:

Sometimes when I'm playing my Index it'll get like twice as dark and there's a rainbow effect on the bottom half of the image, it goes away if I restart Steam VR. Running it on a 1080ti, is this a GPU issue or do I need to replace my HMD or cable? I've only had it for two weeks.

Headset side, or break away side, cable is loose or failing, Reconnect it, If it persists contact support asap.

My first cable started failing break away side about 3 weeks in. Beat me by a week!

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

Just got myself an Index, gonna flip my Cosmos Elite (assuming my brother doesn't want it).
I've uninstalled all the HTC software - there doesn't seem to be anything to install from Valve - do I literally just plug it in and then start SteamVR?

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

sarcastx posted:

Just got myself an Index, gonna flip my Cosmos Elite (assuming my brother doesn't want it).
I've uninstalled all the HTC software - there doesn't seem to be anything to install from Valve - do I literally just plug it in and then start SteamVR?
Yep!

Thanks to the other two people responding to me, guess I better call Valve cause the cable looks fine

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

.Ataraxia. posted:

Make sure you bump up the resolution in the device settings for the Quest 2 in Oculus PC App. This sets the resolution that airlink will run at. I run at the max and it looks amazing. (Max is the resolution that will get you closest to 'native' pixel mapping. Native resolution in VR is weird because of lens distortion. You need to render games at approximately 1.4x the native res of the VR headsets display)

For Steam, set it to 100% and then leave it alone forever. It's a multiplier on top of the resolution you set in the device settings on Oculus PC App. The max resolution available in the Oculus PC app is already insane so you don't need anything higher than that (and your PC would have a tough time).

Thanks, this is definitely better! Figured out one issue was that when I change the resolution in Oculus App and restart, I have to start Steam VR, close it, and then reopen it to get the new resolution for whatever reason. Like it launches at the old one on the first run.

There some kind of shimmering going on with trees and ground that I wasn't getting in VD, but I need to check out the debug tool and see what's even enabled.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost
xposting because I'm excited about this

VR only: The Museum of Other Realities is currently free on Steam. It's a really sick multiplayer digital art museum in VR that hosts semi-regular showcases, lectures and events. Really cool poo poo if you're a pretentious aesthetics snob, probably still pretty neat even if you aren't.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

First notes moving from my lens-modded Cosmos Elite to the Valve Index:
*Very comfortable
*good grief the knuckles are so light
*the god rays were a bit distracting at first but after correcting the brightness which was inexplicably set to 130% it's ok
*I miss being able to flip the headset up to do stuff but the trade-off of a headset that loving fits properly is a worthwhile one

Has anyone else here gone from HTC Vive Wands to Index Controllers? If so are you rotating your Beat Saber Sabers/what degrees do you rotate them to?

Leathal
Oct 29, 2004

wanna be like gucci?
lil buddy eat your vegetables

Leathal posted:

Wtf how have I not heard of Risk of Rain until now. That VR mod’s trailer looks like what I thought Borderlands 2 VR was going to be. Can’t wait to play this, thanks for the recommend.

Trip report: “the game…is good!” - Reggie

Maybe not the best idea for people who get motion sickness in VR though. Constant double jumping, dashing, and knockbacks but good lord this game just CLICKED by run 3 or so.

forest spirit
Apr 6, 2009

Frigate Hetman Sahaidachny
First to Fight Scuttle, First to Fall Sink

Yeah, small warning as well for the HAN-D character. He keeps his momentum so you do slide whenever you stop.

If you are playing in VR I highly recommend installing the auto-sprint mod, so that you aren't constantly clicking in on the left thumb stick. Big qol improvement

I would also go into the config editor in the mod manager and adding 10 degrees to the snap turn

Senator Drinksalot
Apr 30, 2013

Leathal posted:

Trip report: “the game…is good!” - Reggie

Maybe not the best idea for people who get motion sickness in VR though. Constant double jumping, dashing, and knockbacks but good lord this game just CLICKED by run 3 or so.

Sairento is probably still the worst for motion sickness

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Nap Ghost
Serious Sam VR had me almost puking on my office floor.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Bondematt posted:

Thanks, this is definitely better! Figured out one issue was that when I change the resolution in Oculus App and restart, I have to start Steam VR, close it, and then reopen it to get the new resolution for whatever reason. Like it launches at the old one on the first run.

There some kind of shimmering going on with trees and ground that I wasn't getting in VD, but I need to check out the debug tool and see what's even enabled.

Got it figured out. I have to manually set the bitrate in Oculus Debugger, which is contrary to everything I have seen. If I leave it on dynamic, it drops to about the equivalent of 30 mbps. I just manually set it to 150 which seems to work fine.

Running DCS with 2x MSAA at max oculus resolution and boy does it look dope. MSAA is worth it to reduce the aliasing in the cockpit.

Bondematt fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Jun 9, 2021

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Neddy Seagoon posted:

• $1000AUD for the HMD,

those prices physically pain me to read

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Tom Guycot posted:

those prices physically pain me to read

Welcome to 'straya, mate! :australia:

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Is there anything to be done with shimmering on the Rift S?

Someone get some oled screens on these here VR doohickeys!

E: running an RTX 3070 on it with FSAA at like 8 and pretty much everything else I can turn on.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

FilthyImp posted:

Is there anything to be done with shimmering on the Rift S?

Someone get some oled screens on these here VR doohickeys!

E: running an RTX 3070 on it with FSAA at like 8 and pretty much everything else I can turn on.

If you want OLED, you're looking at getting a Vive Pro 1 or Samsung Odyssey+.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

sarcastx posted:

First notes moving from my lens-modded Cosmos Elite to the Valve Index:
*Very comfortable
*good grief the knuckles are so light
*the god rays were a bit distracting at first but after correcting the brightness which was inexplicably set to 130% it's ok
*I miss being able to flip the headset up to do stuff but the trade-off of a headset that loving fits properly is a worthwhile one

Has anyone else here gone from HTC Vive Wands to Index Controllers? If so are you rotating your Beat Saber Sabers/what degrees do you rotate them to?

I use the default angle then hold my index controllers funky. Mostly my index finger sort of goes along the side and my pinky is my balance point.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you want OLED, you're looking at getting a Vive Pro 1 or Samsung Odyssey+.

If you can find one, the Pimax XR OLED has much higher resolution then either of those two as well as giant FOV. Better optics / sweet spot than the Odyssey+ from my experience.

Just remember that *every* VR OLED panel in existence has "black smear" in dark scenes, and all but the PSVR have pentile subpixels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

UploadVR will have a small gaming event
https://twitter.com/UploadVR/status/1402294500324745220