Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Guess I'm downloading the EGS then. Game looks great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

poo poo gently caress goddammit I have one last final to study for then I'm on this

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I use the epic store to leech free games and had a 10€ off coupon which was about to expire, I almost never buy anything there but I saw Chivalry 2 literally just released as an exclusive and looked much better than the first gameplay shown, so ... I'm out 25€. Well played epic, well played :argh:

Mordhau was very fun for a while, got in at the start and I loved that feeling starting out and for some months still when you got evenly matched duels but the skill ceiling quickly went too high for me and I got roflstomped repeatedly which was somehow less fun than getting roflstomped in chiv. It always seemed like the objectives mode was tacked on too, or better decent in itself but not really meshing with the combat system (which in a vacuum is awesome compared to chiv1 but imo didn't deal too well with 1vsX or even XvsX for sufficiently large Xs) and nobody really bothered "playing" it the intended way

Add the glacial pace between updates and horrible toxic community and they lost me... Actually I logged in a few days ago and saw a lot of changes but I honestly doubt it could pull me back in.

Well now I can get clowned upon in a brand new game, there's that. I hope chiv 2 stays newbie friendly for a longer time :v: I came to chiv1 towards the tail end of its popularity so past the newbie servers life wasn't easy with all the crazy animation abuse, but still it was good fun

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Only thing I'm not finding great about this is that you have to hold alt to swing left to right. I never really got in to Chivalry 1 but coming from Mordhau it feels really clunky. Going to see if another keybind works better.

I noticed my mouse 4/5 seem to do left to right attack as well but I use those for push to talk and will never learn otherwise :rip:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Aardvark! posted:

Only thing I'm not finding great about this is that you have to hold alt to swing left to right. I never really got in to Chivalry 1 but coming from Mordhau it feels really clunky. Going to see if another keybind works better.

I noticed my mouse 4/5 seem to do left to right attack as well but I use those for push to talk and will never learn otherwise :rip:

Rebinding your keys is super critical in this genre for comfort but it's especially important for Chivalry because of how they handle the various attacks. Definitely spend some time loving with it.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Do y'all play with kb+m or controller for the most part?

boz
Oct 16, 2005

Aardvark! posted:

You can change it in the settings to do the alternate direction based on your movement

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

boz posted:

You can change it in the settings to do the alternate direction based on your movement

Thanks for the heads up, not something I imagined would be a setting. Seems less flexible tho so I'm gonna try a different binding :hai:

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Aardvark! posted:

Thanks for the heads up, not something I imagined would be a setting. Seems less flexible tho so I'm gonna try a different binding :hai:

If you have extra buttons on your mouse it binds mouse 4 and 5 to alternate direction swings and it actually works real well. Mine are on my thumb and the front button is a left handed downswing and the back one is a left handed horizontal swing. If you have a mouse with 3 buttons then carry on!

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
In Chiv 2, dodge spammers with War Clubs are the most infuriating poo poo to fight outside of shortsword instacombo spammers. There's almost nothing you can do since their dodge is so large and their overheads are more like diagonal attacks so you can't sidestep. Successive dodge spam needs a stamina penalty or something. The heavy mace's combos are deceptively fast. I'm getting wrecked when anyone decent applies pressure with it.

I also wish I could find a better button for jab.

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jun 9, 2021

megane
Jun 20, 2008

I just played for like 3 hours and then checked this thread and went "dodges? oh right this game has dodges in it"

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Chiv 2 is a good time

https://i.imgur.com/gxYRT0F.mp4

https://i.imgur.com/0nuswhO.mp4

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
anybody else find the party system to be completely hosed right now? had a 2 party work, then a 3 party work after resetting, getting 4 people all showing as online to eachother seems impossible right now though

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
https://twitter.com/beghead/status/1402434164150972418?s=19

We were getting our asses kicked as Mason the whole game, king is making a breakaway for the boat, got the game winning throw

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Any idea why I have a number next to my screen name? It says (470). I think it may have happened after my game crashed once?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

after every match it just kicks me back to the main menu, while my friends in my party go on to join the next match. it makes the game basically unplayable for me, as theres no way for me to join in their match

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah party system is hosed right now, hopefully they'll iron it out soon

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
game is dope

Orv
May 4, 2011
Game is rad as hell. Only real complaint is that some of the objective maps are absurdly badly designed but that sure is Chivalry so whatever really.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

drat, I missed Chivalry. This has the same gameplay feel with updates and slightly less jank, rad as hell.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

Party creation is still messed up from the previous beta, as I feared. I hope this gets fixed very quickly, because it was next to impossible to party up in some cases when the last beta was running.

Aardvark! posted:

anybody else find the party system to be completely hosed right now? had a 2 party work, then a 3 party work after resetting, getting 4 people all showing as online to eachother seems impossible right now though

My experiences with it are: 1) I was the only one that could be the party leader, ever. Even if other people invited me, I would always be the party leader and 2) You have to magically sync up your game by restarting it and doing the tutorial trick and somehow, you are able to invite everyone because the game can see everyone in-game via EGS.

It's bad. :(

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

testing it with friends it would always set the party leader to whoever was westmost in the world (??? i know). i'm in the uk, my friends are in boston, saskatchewan, and LA. we tested it by inviting in different orders, and it would always give leader to whoever was westmost. so if the LA guy started the party, he would be leader no matter who he invited, but if I invited the boston guy, the boston guy would be given leader. then if he invited the saskatchewan guy, that guy would be given leader.

i have no idea why it is like this. we theorized both data centers and time zones but it is just so loving strange.

selan dyin
Dec 27, 2007

this game is as fun as it is full of nazis, that is to say; very

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

BALLS DILDO posted:

this game is as fun as it is full of nazis, that is to say; very

? I haven't found anyone being a Nazi in chat. Haven't even read a single racial slur since release (but a few on beta)

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

yeah I'm 9.5 hours of playtime and the worst I've seen is someone just being super aggro in chat about another dude's height which was pretty lol

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

yeah, i havent seen any nazis or racists yet.

honestly, my only complaint with chivalry 2 is that they didn't get the original voice actors to do more voices. you can still pick them, but they don't do things like curse when they're bandaging.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Jun 9, 2021

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

I haven't seen poo poo in chat, other than gg and ez more or less. People were exploding on the wagon, so props were given to that guy who was making twenty people blow up at once.

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
The racism's there, but nowhere near as bad as Mordhau. I saw some guy completely lose their poo poo about losing to someone's black character over and over (he was dunking on everyone with an obnoxious duel strat) and while he wasn't spamming the n-word it was pretty bad. There also seems to be a kick limit so you can't votekick a guy repeatedly for poo poo like that.

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER
I mean, racists edgy manchildren are going to be in every game no matter what, there's a large difference between that and being literally full of Nazis, like Mordhau.

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!
Uh, I just got a 50% refund

quote:

You recently placed orders from the Epic Games Store. The price of the game(s) you purchased were recently lowered, so we are issuing partial refunds for the difference(s).
Yet the game is still listed at the price I paid.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Yeah I got $10 refunded :toot:

Moon Shrimp
Sep 7, 2013
drat this game is fun. I keep trying to play it like mdordhau though and then getting confused when it works differently.

Edit: I got the refund too.

Moon Shrimp fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Jun 9, 2021

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Yeah, refund on my end, too. May just turn that right back around and get myself the fancy collector's edition armour.

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Hamburger Test posted:

Uh, I just got a 50% refund

Yet the game is still listed at the price I paid.

They hand out tons of 10Ł$€ vouchers as part of the EPIC MEGA sale, pre order were not eligible but the now released game still is.
I suppose they refunded 10 bux off preorders.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

This might be a stupid question, but how do I kill people who are competent at blocking? In Mordhau, they had to time and aim their blocks, so I could mix up directions and feint and eventually they’d miss a block and get hit, but in Chiv all they have to do is look vaguely in my direction and press right click in a huge window. Can’t kick them because they’re not holding block, just tapping it. Feinting just wastes my time, because there’s no concept of “missing a block” here; they can re-block instantly even if they started an attack. Can counter them, but that doesn’t stop them blocking the counter. Usually we just block -> riposte back and forth until one of us gets bored and backs off, or somebody else shows up and third-parties one of us.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

megane posted:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I kill people who are competent at blocking? In Mordhau, they had to time and aim their blocks, so I could mix up directions and feint and eventually they’d miss a block and get hit, but in Chiv all they have to do is look vaguely in my direction and press right click in a huge window. Can’t kick them because they’re not holding block, just tapping it. Feinting just wastes my time, because there’s no concept of “missing a block” here; they can re-block instantly even if they started an attack. Can counter them, but that doesn’t stop them blocking the counter. Usually we just block -> riposte back and forth until one of us gets bored and backs off, or somebody else shows up and third-parties one of us.
I am a filthy casual who has only played a couple hours sticking with poleman to get adjusted, but... Try just saying gently caress it and hitting the Q button more? Or mixing in more heavy swings if you think it is safe to do so?

Not exactly a pro strat for 1vs1 master duelists on a dramatic clifftop, but oh my loving GOD the amount of people who still have not quite grasped that trying to keep tanking very slow obvious wind up Q super swings is gonna eventually ruin their shield (along with the mini stagger), send their zweihander eventually flying, or make life easier for others to finish the job.

Again though, I have been doing this with polearms. It probably won't be as handy with smaller weapons, but the tutorial has you do it with a messer(?) sword. But so far I thank god when I see people "spamming block" because the thought that being able to hold a block is OP is (eventually) getting me free kills if nobody comes to save them.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jun 9, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Had a guy in a game last night running around with a knife who was able to effectively stunblock you by kicking you, slashing you, kick, slash, kick, slash, etc. and holy gently caress was it infuriating.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

megane posted:

The main thing to keep in mind is that while block does not have a maximum duration (aside from the stamina running out) it does have a minimum duration. Even if you only tap the block button for a moment, you will stay in the blocking state for at least half a second or thereabouts. Which is coincidentally just enough to get a nice kick in. So generally what I do is letting my opponent settle into that riposte - > riposte rhythm for an exchange or two, then immediately after my next block I'll follow up with a kick instead of a riposte. More often than not they're already blocking in anticipation of my attack. Against more defensive/aware opponents, you can also outright start a regular attack and then feint into a kick.

Another solid option is playing around weapon ranges. Attack recovery is quite long if you're not blocked, so if you manage to evade the attack with movement alone that's often a free hit. Of course that's less feasible if you're using shorter weapons. Finally, you can also try to incorporate more heavy and special attacks. They drain quite a bit more stamina and the latter lets you keep the initiative if it connects, so you win the stamina race and disarm them.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

explosivo posted:

Had a guy in a game last night running around with a knife who was able to effectively stunblock you by kicking you, slashing you, kick, slash, kick, slash, etc. and holy gently caress was it infuriating.
Seeing trash talking dagger only guys has made it more satisfying to kill those guys with a hatchet :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
Backing up a little bit and throwing a sword at their face is surprisingly effective in my experience.