Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
Richardson and Covington seem to get consistently overrated. Not in the sense that they arent useful players, just that people assume they will make a significant impact when they are role players that effectively round out a solid roster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
Yeah Richardson seems to be like crowder where he needs a real system to thrive

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I wasn't thrilled to see the Mavs trade Seth Curry but I got the rationale, any offense with Luka will probably be pretty good, decent-to-good shooters will probably overachieve if they're wide open all the time, and the defense was a huge problem. But then J-Rich had his worst outside shooting season and was probably #3 on the defensive pecking order by the end of the season. It wasn't a deal I'd have pulled the trigger on but I was cautiously optimistic it could work early on. No way to defend it at this point, though. And even putting aside Curry and J-Rich's relative overall merits, it really illustrates the need to have roles for your role players, instead of just cycling through 6'5" guys and hoping good basketball will happen

I know it's easier said than done and everyone wants players like this, but you want to surround Luka with shooters and rim runners and bigs that do Lopez/Adams poo poo, that kinda thing. Very specific jobs around your star. Would Delon Wright do any of that? J-Rich? Trey Burke (they gave Trey Burke a three year deal btw lol)? The Mavs just kinda acquire dudes, whoever's still standing around after the rest of the league's picked

MourningView posted:

Having another option for creation would be great but the other option has to be actually good. They're not taking the ball out of Luka's hands in crunch time to run pick and rolls with Josh Richardson

I mean I get what Lockback's saying, a big part of the Clips G6 and G7 win was owed to trapping Luka and daring the rest of the Mavs to quickly and successfully execute the 4-on-3 and they almost never did. A handful of times it resulted in a KP dunk or something but mostly whoever got the ball would stand there confused and then either throw it out of bounds or wait for Luka to get free and reset the offense. It is a point of concern. And obviously it's a glaring need for the bench--I like Brunson a lot but he isn't a playmaker really IMO, he's more a small bucket-getter, a spiritual successor to Barea.

But you're right as well, and I'm always kinda amazed how many Mavs fans I hear out in the internet wilds that think there'd be some innate spiritual benefit to parking Luka in the corner 15 times a game to watch shittier players run bad offense

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jun 7, 2021

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1402045607221542919?s=19

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

He did a good job but there were better candidates.

de curry GOAT
Oct 23, 2005

https://twitter.com/thesteinline/status/1402046907837472770?s=21
It was a close one

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I'm more disappointed in that then I thought. I thought it was Monty or McMillian or nobody. But I guess Thibs did a good job too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I'm more disappointed in that then I thought. I thought it was Monty or McMillian or nobody. But I guess Thibs did a good job too.

rude as hell to quin

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
What I wish the Blazers would do this offseason:
  • Hire Wes Unseld Jr.
  • Figure out a way to flip CJ and/or Nurk for Myles Turner :allears: I feel like the Pacers are motivated to move him or Sabonis and I'm sure they'd rather it be Turner. CJ's a proven scorer and probably an All-Star in the East, Nurkic has one year remaining at $12M and surely would have value to the right team. Some combination of those two guys plus DJJ's expiring plus Simons or Little if you have to I guess.
  • Use the cap room to sign Powell. I'm such a sucker for ill-advised, silky-smooth midrange Js and CJ is one of my favorite players all-time as a result, but it's not working. Powell's a better defender, gets to the line more consistently, better fit alongside Dame.
  • Pair Dame/Norm with Turner as a top-tier defensive C and fill in the gaps from there. Olshey's been really good at pulling 7-8-9 rotation guys off the scrap-heap, roll the dice on depth and roll with Dame/Norm/Turner core.

What the Blazers will actually do this offseason:
  • none of this happens
  • we run it back with Billups
  • 49 wins and another first-round loss
  • one year from now everyone is again worried about Dame leaving, except this time the concerns are totally legitimate

also footnote that I agree CJ's contract is not some untradeable albatross. Yeah he had some lovely games in the first-round, as did like 3/4 of the roster. He'll still be good for 20-25 ppg through the end of his contract, can create his own shot, is not some perennial injury concern, great locker-room and community dude. People act like he's some colossal overpay but the contract's generally in line w his performance. Also the downside of maxing his deal != downside of watching him leave and rolling the dice on replacing him, plus pissing off Dame

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

rivetz posted:

Figure out a way to flip CJ and/or Nurk for Myles Turner :allears:

I always confuse Myles Turner and Meyers Leonard so this really threw me for a moment

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Meyers Leonard would really fit Portland.

Solid fan friendly pickup

But yeah the Bulls Desperately need anyone who can play Point Guard/Handle the Ball and playmake at all.

Right now the only hope is Coby White figures it out which is very very unlikely.

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I keep getting push notifications hypothesizing a Kemba for KP trade.

Ugh

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I keep getting push notifications hypothesizing a Kemba for KP trade.

Ugh

If the Celtics are thinking about this, I know a guy who could work really hard to almost make that happen.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
Myles Turner seems like a sideways move to me. I'd rather move CJ for a wing/PF

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Blazers are gonna end up with Lauri Markkanen

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM

Dexo posted:

Blazers are gonna end up with Lauri Markkanen

I honestly wouldn't mind Lauri as a reclamation project. He can't be any worse than 37 year old Melo.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

https://twitter.com/Baxter/status/1402404702592012290?s=19

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Lauri looked good when he was healthy the other 60% of the season where he was out or playing hurt happened though.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Rick posted:

Lauri looked good when he was healthy the other 60% of the season where he was out or playing hurt happened though.

Lauri's problem is he provides nothing but 3pt shooting.

If he's not hitting shots he is a negative in literally every single other thing that is done on a basketball court. And with his defense is probably a net negative even when he is hitting shots.

This year he seemed to have taken a step up in terms of hitting shots when healthy. But games where he slumped he was completely worthless.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

Metapod posted:

Yeah Richardson seems to be like crowder where he needs a real system to thrive

Richardson was great in Miami, fantastic even, philadelphia played him in an entirely different role and he sucked. I wish I watched enough mavs games to say what they did with him to decide wether he was misued or just a Fluke guy when he cant get the sweet Miami EPO

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1402655143712206854

A new Nate is needed

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

Indiana's problem is they just have Nates. For a Nate to flourish, he needs a Warren.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

ChickenMedium posted:

Indiana's problem is they just have Nates. For a Nate to flourish, he needs a Warren.

I have it on good authority that a Boozer OR a Carlos will also cause a Nate to flourish.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

edit: Shams deleted it twice for some reason and hasn't reposted it, but Coby White had shoulder surgery after injuring it in "off-season basketball activities" and will be re-evaluated in 4 months.

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Jun 10, 2021

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1403098093839654917?s=19

Howard currently has two sons on the team so not terribly surprising. I do think if he keeps winning he will probably wind up in the NBA eventually but maybe that's wishful thinking.

So far Hardaway's biggest strength as a coach has been recruiting so that's a really weird name

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

MourningView posted:

https://twitter.com/wojespn/status/1403098093839654917?s=19

Howard currently has two sons on the team so not terribly surprising. I do think if he keeps winning he will probably wind up in the NBA eventually but maybe that's wishful thinking.

So far Hardaway's biggest strength as a coach has been recruiting so that's a really weird name

If Howard keeps winning, those job offers will be there indefinitely. At some point, the NBA will stop doing this kind of recruitment, but he could start it up anytime with a few phone calls. I'd bet he tries his hand at the NBA at some point, but it might be a while.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

https://twitter.com/ShamsCharania/status/1403397091506987009?s=19

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Really bummed about Coby White. I don't know what Karnisovas's plan is but I'm not smart enough to see a way for the Bulls to build a playoff team put of the current roster and cap.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Well that's miserable. How long does it take players to regain their form after this kind of injury? Because 5 months to play already has him returning about a month into the next season.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Dwight never got his full range of motion back. Paul George took about a year before he was playing like he used to. The good news is offensively he is better than ever.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Rick posted:

Dwight never got his full range of motion back. Paul George took about a year before he was playing like he used to. The good news is offensively he is better than ever.

Jason Smith was never the same after his, iirc. I can't remember if AD had it happen to him, as well.

Blocking shots ruins shoulders, folks.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy
Josh Hart apparently wants a "fresh start" somewhere other than NOLA, and preferably Cleveland with his friend, Larry Nance. Which, fair. Now I don't have to worry as much about the team over-paying for him.

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
Pasting from nv since nobody's interested in the lowly Cavs

Cavs Free Agency Targets

Any potential free agency list should start with Indiana’s T.J. McConnell and Los Angeles pest Alex Caruso. Both are Cavs targets. Both fit really well. Some prefer Caruso. He’s younger, bigger, stronger and can guard multiple spots. Others like McConnell more. Even though he doesn’t shoot many 3s, he’s more polished, capable of filling in as starter, puts pressure on the rim and was the league’s total steals leader.

The Cavs might also be looking for another center. Isaiah Hartenstein, who arrived in the JaVale McGee deal with Denver, has a player option. Sources expect him to exercise that and become a free agent. Hartenstein, who made the minimum this past season, likes it in Cleveland. But he boosted his value over the final few months and opting in would make him underpaid at $1.7 million. Hartenstein’s preference, according to sources, is to renegotiate a more lucrative long-term deal, staying with the Cavs as Allen’s backup.

-- Chris Fedor of Cleveland Plain Dealer
Other Cavs stuff via Kibner
Josh Hart wants to leave New Orleans, he could join his friend Lurry Nance in Cleveland.

This is going to be a very underwhelming summer for straight free agency. I think something crazy will happen because it always seems to be when no deals are straightforwardly possible. Hartenstein has a future.

Dejan Bimble fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Jun 13, 2021

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Dejan Bimble posted:

This is going to be a very underwhelming summer for straight free agency. I think something crazy will happen because it always seems to be when no deals are straightforwardly possible. Hartenstein has a future.

I think what we're settling into now is going to be closer to the new normal than anything.

Between the way the CBA constructs rookie contracts and how teams can resign players coming off one for that extra year, and how superstars are actually able to engineer their own "superteams", free agency for most teams is gonna be about low end starters, aging veterans looking for a last payday, and value rotation players.

Not that there won't be impactful FA signings, just that the current system encourages young stars to stay put and encourages the creation of "3 max and everyone else on minimum/MLE/rookie contracts" teams. That isn't conducive to a vibrant free agent market.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Dejan Bimble posted:

Pasting from nv since nobody's interested in the lowly Cavs

Cavs Free Agency Targets

Any potential free agency list should start with Indiana’s T.J. McConnell and Los Angeles pest Alex Caruso. Both are Cavs targets. Both fit really well. Some prefer Caruso. He’s younger, bigger, stronger and can guard multiple spots. Others like McConnell more. Even though he doesn’t shoot many 3s, he’s more polished, capable of filling in as starter, puts pressure on the rim and was the league’s total steals leader.

The Cavs might also be looking for another center. Isaiah Hartenstein, who arrived in the JaVale McGee deal with Denver, has a player option. Sources expect him to exercise that and become a free agent. Hartenstein, who made the minimum this past season, likes it in Cleveland. But he boosted his value over the final few months and opting in would make him underpaid at $1.7 million. Hartenstein’s preference, according to sources, is to renegotiate a more lucrative long-term deal, staying with the Cavs as Allen’s backup. Mo

-- Chris Fedor of Cleveland Plain Dealer

He’s in a great spot where he can be your backup 5 and when the plays you only give up a couple points but he’s not good enough to fool anyone into thinking he can start. You can draw infinite small contracts like that, what we might call the Zeller Zone

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/ChiSportUpdates/status/1404185915061309444?s=20

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

dudes just love ball

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
I think the Lakers are going to have to pay Caruso like 12 million to keep him and people will laugh at it but what can be done, they need him.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Welcome, Denver fans. It's bittersweet getting an MVP but losing in the playoffs, but we all know this is a different series with Jamal Murray. It's always tough saying "next season," after all the things this team has been through but Denver is legitimately a contender every year Jokic is on the team. It's just a matter of finding the right pieces around him and staying healthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Rick posted:

I think the Lakers are going to have to pay Caruso like 12 million to keep him and people will laugh at it but what can be done, they need him.

it's me i'm people