Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peer
Jan 17, 2004

this is not what I wanted
no that's the other saurus LL, whose name I don't even remember because "starts with kroak" is his only defining characteristic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

What does it actually do?

Visual sand paper

youse mean Gor- Rok

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Is gun infantry just worthless when sieging or is there a trick to it?

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
He’s also the white one, right? Or is that the kroxigor guy?

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010
Do you guys consider it cheating to go for auto-resolve if it gets you a better result than fighting the battle yourself? My Kroq-gar army got trounced by Malus whose army could stand up to my saurus unlike the skaven I had fought up until then, and when I went back with a new stack I was pretty uncertain about how it would go but the auto-resolve was in my favor so I went for it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Jay Rust posted:

Is gun infantry just worthless when sieging or is there a trick to it?

mostly useless, unless you can put them on the inside of the wall and shoot down into the enemy.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
Hey, he also starts in Itza, probably the most defensible location in lustria, and is a defensive monster. Hell, he's a pretty good campaign for a new player, since it's hard to lose Itza and you're surrounded by obvious opponents and allies. Gor-rok!

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

orangelex44 posted:

He’s also the white one, right? Or is that the kroxigor guy?

Yep Gor Rok is white, high def melee infantry dude. He's an immovable object. Nakai is the kroxigor who I have never found particularly powerful.

Syncopated posted:

Do you guys consider it cheating to go for auto-resolve if it gets you a better result than fighting the battle yourself? My Kroq-gar army got trounced by Malus whose army could stand up to my saurus unlike the skaven I had fought up until then, and when I went back with a new stack I was pretty uncertain about how it would go but the auto-resolve was in my favor so I went for it.

Nope, the games too big to sweat it over a few auto resolve results - and when you play it long enough you're going to have eaten plenty of poo poo autoresolving the 12th trash stack that attacking the settlement you conquered on impulse but never built any walls in. Though, it would be interesting to know what the force compositions you were dealing with were and what the logic of the auto resolver was.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I auto resolve most of the time but if it’s close, or looks fun, I’ll fight it myself.

Enemy has a bunch of artillery, and I don’t have much cavalry? Ehhhhhhhh gently caress it.

Lots and lots of melee infantry and I have a fire mage? LETS GOOOO

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

stackofflapjacks posted:

Kroq Gar starts with Lord Kroak right? Play that one, Lord Kroak is the most fun caster in the game bar none. Not even all the wurrzags can compare

I think that's Gor-Rok who starts with Kroak, tradeoffs being 1. no sick dino mount for hte LL and 2. you are in the thick of lustriadome.

Southpaugh posted:

Nope, the games too big to sweat it over a few auto resolve results - and when you play it long enough you're going to have eaten plenty of poo poo autoresolving the 12th trash stack that attacking the settlement you conquered on impulse but never built any walls in. Though, it would be interesting to know what the force compositions you were dealing with were and what the logic of the auto resolver was.

also, specifically, when you beat an army and it moves away with little slivers of stacks left. i hate that poo poo, and it's nice that auto-resolve always goes until there's zero survivors on one side or the other, so i really often use it for lovely follow-up battles.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

peer posted:

no that's the other saurus LL, whose name I don't even remember because "starts with kroak" is his only defining characteristic

He has another defining characteristic and that's "being really difficult to kill"

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001

stackofflapjacks posted:

Kroq Gar starts with Lord Kroak right? Play that one, Lord Kroak is the most fun caster in the game bar none. Not even all the wurrzags can compare
That's Gor-Rok, and it's not that hard to get Lord Kroak as almost any other faction aside from sending an agent over if you start in the Southlands.

peer posted:

He's kinda boring but is extraordinarily tanky. They really should take his buffs all the way and make him inflict negative charge bonus / damage to infantry.

Syncopated posted:

Malus is one of the best fighting lords in the game, so don't feel bad about auto-resolving around that poo poo.

Southpaugh posted:

Yep Gor Rok is white, high def melee infantry dude. He's an immovable object. Nakai is the kroxigor who I have never found particularly powerful.
Nakai isn't all that great without his campaign mechanics, but once you get his special items he and everyone close to him get Perfect Vigour so the Boxigor stack still works pretty well. His charge is also a ridiculous cannon ball and he looks like he's having the time of his life.

Shumagorath fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Jun 8, 2021

FeculentWizardTits
Aug 31, 2001

Ravenfood posted:

Huh, fun fact, declaring peace less than 10 turns after declaring war tanks your reliability rating. As Imrik I rushed the starting enemy Dwarfs, sacked their last city, then demanded payment for a peace treaty, since the early cash was worth more than razing them. And...yeah, it turns out that that drops your reliability. Oh well, at least I didn't need that.

You said you were going to wipe us off the map, you lying sack of poo poo

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Shumagorath posted:

That's Gor-Rok, and it's not that hard to get Lord Kroak as almost any other faction aside from sending an agent over if you start in the Southlands.

He's kinda boring but is extraordinarily tanky. They really should take his buffs all the way and make him inflict negative charge bonus / damage to infantry.

Malus is one of the best fighting lords in the game, so don't feel bad about auto-resolving around that poo poo.

Nakai isn't all that great without his campaign mechanics, but once you get his special items he and everyone close to him get Perfect Vigour so the Boxigor stack still works pretty well. His charge is also a ridiculous cannon ball and he looks like he's having the time of his life.

Charge Reflect is something I hope that comes over from 3k. It means cavalry can be brutal but it can also be counter-played

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Communist Walrus posted:

You said you were going to wipe us off the map, you lying sack of poo poo

Peace treaty following a declaration of Dawi-cide? That's a Grudge'n

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

Muscle Tracer posted:

I think that's Gor-Rok who starts with Kroak, tradeoffs being 1. no sick dino mount for hte LL and 2. you are in the thick of lustriadome.

also, specifically, when you beat an army and it moves away with little slivers of stacks left. i hate that poo poo, and it's nice that auto-resolve always goes until there's zero survivors on one side or the other, so i really often use it for lovely follow-up battles.

nah thats followup battles that end in 100% death, not autoresolve

IAMNOTADOCTOR
Sep 26, 2013

Ty for the tips, I'll try the unlikable tanky croc dude

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Muscle Tracer posted:

don't end battles immediately, keep cleaning up fleeing units with your cavalry & dog / wolf units. You can trigger full army wipes if they reach a certain unit loss threshold

Double fighting enemy armies is good to do at low levels for the exp and chance to pick up equipment, but sometimes you've gotta keep momentum up and move on quickly. So wiping out armies may be the right choice but it is highly situational. You should use this time to heal monsters / lords / heroes with invocation of nehek, lore of life and let regen units top off too. This is how melee factions can keep trucking through multiple fights

TaintedBalance
Dec 21, 2006

hope, n: desire accompanied by expectation of or belief in fulfilment

cool av posted:

nah thats followup battles that end in 100% death, not autoresolve

To expand on this a little bit, AR is far more likely to be efficient about killing all units, especially if you've got a ranged heavy stack because of the way it calculates out damage across rounds for the AR. In general, if your AR is ~75% or greater, the AR will always completely wipeout the opposing side. From 50%-75% really tanky, fast units or heroes tend to make it out with low model counts. Below that, you tend to get full wipes again, with the tradeoff being your army tends to get fairly messed up - I think this represents the fight being tooth and nail effectively. The AR math and process is not exactly opaque, but its also not exactly great. There are some mods that try to address it and I've considered it myself, but :effort:

Shumagorath
Jun 6, 2001
Autoresolve math is miles ahead of even where it was in TWWH1 (hello beasts in a siege battle), to say nothing of Rorarii Cheese.

Vagabong
Mar 2, 2019
Seeing as any chance for a vamp re-work has been post-poned till at least 3, I hope they go all out and give Vlad an evil version of the elector count mechanics. It'd be cool to play up the more manipulative side of the Vampires, leveraging trickery and diplomacy to get some of the iImperial States on side instead of just clobbering them all. CA already has stuff in that direction with the vassal mechanic, it's just a shame that they don't really work.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
I am trying the SFO mod and it adds like 300 buildings. Like actually 300 buildings... what the hell. I am even more lost now haha.

I started a greenskins campaign and ended up making friends everyone except the bloodhands by like turn 10 and then they went to war with me... then I beat their leader and got all their poo poo and got super overwhelmed and confused. Had constant uprisings due to "extortion"? loving up my poo poo? It was a small checkbox in an out of the way building browser menu. Dwarves then got me and some humans too. Really crazy poo poo and i made it to turn 15 before i was completely lost and confused. Haha. Welp. Time to try it again.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
SFO has a *lot* going on if you’re a newer player, I recommend sticking to vanilla for a while first.

The Greenskins and Norsca have a mechanic where they can force-confederate fellow lords of their race if you beat hem in a fight. It’s still a conferation though, so you’ll have a public order and foreign relations penalty for a few turns afterward. You’ll also probably have waaaay too many units afterward and might have to disband a few.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sounds like base-game mechanics were tripping you up, big overhauls like SFO are great if you are tired of the base game and want a fresh learning experience.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Did Ark of Sotek get buffed at some point?!!

Started a Tehenhauin campaign, and against a Khalida stack the thing got 433 kills, 29900 damage done. I distinctly remember it being worse. Its ability seems to mulch through infantry now.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Extortion is literally just the more flavorful Greenskin name for taxes, complete with the same public order penalty if you're collecting them. Most nations have that checkbox to stop collection as well, in order to remove that public order penalty (and also get a growth bonus). I don't think SFO mucked around with the public order penalty of taxes either, so this is something that would have caused the same issue, mod or no mod.

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Did Ark of Sotek get buffed at some point?!!

Started a Tehenhauin campaign, and against a Khalida stack the thing got 433 kills, 29900 damage done. I distinctly remember it being worse. Its ability seems to mulch through infantry now.

Hasn't the Ark of Sotek generally been at least okay against low armor infantry? Because hordes of skeletons would certainly let it rack up kills if so.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

because of the weirdness of the warp, every demon unit that exists in 40k also exists in fantasy and vice versa

so in addition to satans motorcycle and the robo rhinos, we might see:

soul grinder

all demon engines are made by the warp forges, which are forges that are in the warp, and forge demons of the warp into engines, creating demon engines. in the warp. but these guys are like the custom defenders of the warp forges, and because of that have kind of split loyalty between their god and their warp forge.

anyway almost all demons want to be one of these guys, because being combined with an engine means they can stay in the physical world forever without a host, and it also makes them strong as gently caress. the catch is that they have to win the grand yugioh tournament outside the forge to be selected to be made into one.

i put these guys at the top because they, despite being extremely 40k looking, had stats for warhammer fantasy and were one of the only artillery units that demons of chaos got.

skull cannon

this one also has a very good chance because its just the throne of blood with a gun on. the gun shoots burning skulls. its unclear if these are real skulls, which khorne is famously covetous of, or just fire made into the shape of a skull.

forgefiend & maulerfiend

these are just demon engines cranked out by the bundle and sold off to demon hordes. what kind of currency do demons use? i dont know. it could be souls, or skulls, or some kind of conveniently trademarkable type of gold, called like HeylGyld or Daemonlukre. Forgefiend shoots big fire lasers from its mouth and its lasers, maulerfiend just has tentacle whips where the lasers are on the forgefiend.

there is a truly insane amount of demon engines in warhammer that are all god aligned, and most of them are from the ancient Epic boardgame where they all looked really stupid like this:

then gw tried to update one of the khorne ones for 40k and it looked really stupid like this:

and it was so stupid that forgeworld released a conversion kit to give it legs so it looked like this:

but what im saying is that theres been a slow process of converting old lore demon engines to new lore demon engines and releasing models for them, and since CA is working with GW it is hard to call what they might be updating behind the scenes. i would really like to see the brand new nurgle R2D2s be in the game:

i think that khorne is more likely to get the lions share of the demon engines though, because he doesnt have any casters, so the demon engines kind of fill that spot for him. he thinks magic is cheating, but ingenuity is ok.

Grumio
Sep 20, 2001

in culina est

juggalo baby coffin posted:

skull cannon

this one also has a very good chance because its just the throne of blood with a gun on. the gun shoots burning skulls. its unclear if these are real skulls, which khorne is famously covetous of, or just fire made into the shape of a skull.

I'd say there's a 100% chance of these, given they are in the Khorne trailer and Brass Citadel battle

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

skull cannon

We have actually seen them already in footage. Apparently it is super mobile like the Blood Throne is while also being artillery.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

then gw tried to update one of the khorne ones for 40k and it looked really stupid like this:

Wrong, sorry, these own. (They are, naturally, called The Lord of Skulls)

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Mordja posted:

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm the Skull-laden cowcatcher (skullcatcher?)

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
One thing about playing Total Warhammer and looking at videos of the DOW1 Unification mod is that it's made me want a 40k game with a similar approach, ie, a long-supported series of games with the aim to add just about every faction and unit from the tabletop like TWW has.

boo boo bear
Oct 1, 2009

I'm COMPLETELY OBSESSED with SEXY EGGS
two hormagaunt balls and a dick cannon.

and they say slaanesh is the fucky one.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Grumio posted:

I'd say there's a 100% chance of these, given they are in the Khorne trailer and Brass Citadel battle

i did not watch those

Mordja posted:

it looks too much like sir killalot from robot wars

Scandalous
Jul 16, 2009

but what im saying is that theres been a slow process of converting old lore demon engines to new lore demon engines and releasing models for them, and since CA is working with GW it is hard to call what they might be updating behind the scenes. i would really like to see the brand new nurgle R2D2s be in the game:

I’d love to see plaguecrawlers (?) but I suspect having multi-meltas wouldn’t carry over too well

Ranged damage: infinite

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pttlc307uoc

SteelMentor
Oct 15, 2012

TOXIC

Mordja posted:

One thing about playing Total Warhammer and looking at videos of the DOW1 Unification mod is that it's made me want a 40k game with a similar approach, ie, a long-supported series of games with the aim to add just about every faction and unit from the tabletop like TWW has.

God I wish, dream game right there.

And if they manage to depict Slaanesh without all the weapons grade cringe of the Emperor's Children faction in Unification then I'll be pre-ordering in a nanosecond.

Scandalous posted:

I’d love to see plaguecrawlers (?) but I suspect having multi-meltas wouldn’t carry over too well

Ranged damage: infinite

Mayyyyybe not the Death Guard daemon engines as they're way way way too 40k like the Blight-Hauler there, but possibly could see the likes of a Plague Tower.

I remember a friend of mine spending literal years building one out of scratch, using old Fantasy siege tower parts and set of Freddy Kruger masks.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
karl franz and his entire army were killed in battle today by what our learned sages describe as a "microwave from hell."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

these are just demon engines cranked out by the bundle and sold off to demon hordes. what kind of currency do demons use? i dont know. it could be souls, or skulls, or some kind of conveniently trademarkable type of gold, called like HeylGyld or Daemonlukre.

Well the funny thing is a big part of daemons is that for all their weird bullshit they take contracts very seriously. Amongst each other, with humans and so forth. You can't easily get them into one but if you make a deal they're going to stick with it. So for trading in demon engines and the like they enter into deals of "You use our engines you bring us back the weird poo poo we need to keep making more of these when you go into your fights" and that's how the daemon weapon industry functions!