Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Play unbeatable [white label]

It's in the Palestine bundle but it's also free on Steam

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I had been following this game for a while but h/t to Stux for pointing out that Unbeatable [white label] actually came out today and they finished their Kickstarter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AxjBkJLVNk4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaqDu16Rfe4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgw19P-7C5s&t=579s

I love everything about this game's visual and musical style. I thought that the demo thing they were releasing in conjunction with their kickstarter was just going to be like one track but it's surprisingly robust, with a dozen tracks with all difficulty options... I guess because the project is going to end up much bigger? I'm worried about Kickstarter scope creep loving things up (especially with that online multiplayer stretch goal) but what's here is already a lot of fun

CharlieFoxtrot fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

https://twitter.com/Nifflas/status/1402384130978062340

whoa this is cool!!

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Cheating isn't cool, you should know this by now

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
steam? more like isn't working right now so its just lukewarm water

Dragomorph
Aug 21, 2007

HE'S NOT A REAL GOON, SAM!

Can I keep his head as a souvenir?

Say, why is it ticking?
Gonna add a recommend from the Palestine Bundle since nobody's mentioned it:

Robot Wants It All Did you play these games on Flash back in the day? Now you can play them again, along with a bunch of extra bonus maps, challenges, and information! It's as good as I remember it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Karma Tornado posted:

Days Gone drops a series of flashbacks at one point well after you've started playing that had to have been cutscenes for what was originally the tutorials at the beginning of the game, like they jump over things that would definitely be PRESS WHATEVER TO STEALTH, and it rules. they for sure rewrote that game after they finished it and decided to just let the incredibly weird lead VA work carry it and they were right to

I forgot to respond to this earlier - what do you mean by the weird lead VA work? What's weird about his voice?

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I ended up buying days gone even though I have the free version on the PS5, but I ended up never playing it and I sold my PS5 since I only use a PC anyway. Game is pretty good and I am glad it's on PC. Also pretty neat that it is in Oregon with real landmarks I recognize.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I forgot to respond to this earlier - what do you mean by the weird lead VA work? What's weird about his voice?

the guy reads a bunch of what are on paper very straight lines with a delivery that makes Deacon sound like a dude who has borderline lost his mind. there's a lot of his chatter that would be nothing if the delivery wasn't what it is, and it's most of what makes the game kind of charming

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Karma Tornado posted:

the guy reads a bunch of what are on paper very straight lines with a delivery that makes Deacon sound like a dude who has borderline lost his mind. there's a lot of his chatter that would be nothing if the delivery wasn't what it is, and it's most of what makes the game kind of charming

Ahhh! So what you mean is great VA work, not weird work, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Occultatio
Aug 4, 2005

a massive toolclown who cannot stop causing problems

Black Griffon posted:

Elephantasy
"One of those old-school room-by-room platformers where each room has its own title. You know the ones. That Speccy era."
-The 7th Guest

Hey, thank you for this! This game is great -- it's less a platformer and more a metroidvania with zero combat, and it's very well-done.

It honestly reminds me of Puzzle Kingdom more than anything else, although it's not nearly as mind-bending, but the same basic deal where the goal is traversal. The first hour or two of the game involves juggling the four mobility items: all four are unlocked immediately, but you can only carry one at a time (and you need to go back to the item shop in the center of the map whenever you want to switch). As you explore and find gems you gain the ability to carry more items at once, which in turn opens up more of the map, and so on.

That's fun enough, but the real meat of the game comes when you've unlocked the ability to carry all four items at once and realize you've seen less than 50% of the map, at which point it turns into a secret hunt that reminded me of Environmental Station Alpha more than anything else. Again, much easier (and much less obtuse than ESA's puzzles), but really fun to try and 100% the collectibles.

There are a few "boss fights" that all basically revolve around evading their attacks for long enough, three of which are entirely optional/secret. My only real issue with the game is that the final boss, that you have to deal with to see the credits, is incredibly obnoxious and un-fun, since you're literally just walking side to side on a small platform dodging bullets until he gets tired and gives up, and you can only take one hit before needing to start from the beginning, as a result of which I turned it off at 100% completion but without actually "finishing" properly because gently caress that.

Still, if you like puzzley explore-y pseudo-metroidvanias, this is a really solid little game!

Orv
May 4, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

Ahhh! So what you mean is great VA work, not weird work, that makes more sense. Thanks!

Nooooo, not really? The VA for Deacon is phoned in is as hell, it just has this weird vocal quality to the phoning in that makes it unintentionally bizarre.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005

StrixNebulosa posted:

It's weirdly great, yes. That's pretty much how I would describe the entire game. Also there is a Days Gone thread, which I mention not to dissuade anyone from discussing it here but because I think a lot of people are not aware of its existence.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Rusty posted:

I ended up buying days gone even though I have the free version on the PS5, but I ended up never playing it and I sold my PS5 since I only use a PC anyway. Game is pretty good and I am glad it's on PC. Also pretty neat that it is in Oregon with real landmarks I recognize.

What city?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Occultatio posted:

Hey, thank you for this! This game is great -- it's less a platformer and more a metroidvania with zero combat, and it's very well-done.

It honestly reminds me of Puzzle Kingdom more than anything else, although it's not nearly as mind-bending, but the same basic deal where the goal is traversal. The first hour or two of the game involves juggling the four mobility items: all four are unlocked immediately, but you can only carry one at a time (and you need to go back to the item shop in the center of the map whenever you want to switch). As you explore and find gems you gain the ability to carry more items at once, which in turn opens up more of the map, and so on.

That's fun enough, but the real meat of the game comes when you've unlocked the ability to carry all four items at once and realize you've seen less than 50% of the map, at which point it turns into a secret hunt that reminded me of Environmental Station Alpha more than anything else. Again, much easier (and much less obtuse than ESA's puzzles), but really fun to try and 100% the collectibles.

There are a few "boss fights" that all basically revolve around evading their attacks for long enough, three of which are entirely optional/secret. My only real issue with the game is that the final boss, that you have to deal with to see the credits, is incredibly obnoxious and un-fun, since you're literally just walking side to side on a small platform dodging bullets until he gets tired and gives up, and you can only take one hit before needing to start from the beginning, as a result of which I turned it off at 100% completion but without actually "finishing" properly because gently caress that.

Still, if you like puzzley explore-y pseudo-metroidvanias, this is a really solid little game!
Awesome, looking forward to playing it then. Puzzle Kingdom was a nice little treat of a game (it'd be nice to see more people use Amiga palette/aesthetic)

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum

Mescal posted:

What city?
It's in the Central Oregon cascades, three fingered jack, mount Jefferson, sisters.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

I've barely had time to dig into the bundle(s) so I appreciate everyone leaving recommendations!

It has been listed already, but I just want to say that A Good Snowman is Hard to Build is an excellent puzzle game. It's a simple-to-learn, levels-are-hard puzzle game about rolling snowballs in the snow to collect the snow to make snowmen. You need a Large snowball as the base, a Medium snowball as the middle, and a Small snowball for the head, which means order of how you push around the snowballs matter a lot.

What makes it great is every snowman has their own sprite and name and you can hug every snowman. Which is optional but actually compulsory :colbert:

I streamed it with friends and we were all just so ecstatic when we finished any snowman. "Lydia! HUG LYDIA YESSSSS LYDIAAAAAAAA"

And you can find telescopes to see how many snowmen you've made

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Yo mods get to work its not hard

I spent most of the day in airports and on planes so I'm just seeing this now and there is apparently a lot to catch up on!

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

Harrow posted:

I spent most of the day in airports and on planes so I'm just seeing this now and there is apparently a lot to catch up on!

Lol a day probe.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Lol a day probe.

Longer than that requires an admin's approval IIRC, so there may be more coming.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if the pissy little rear end in a top hat wants to be banned and hates everyone here so much it's easy enough for him to post a loving autoban thread, if he ever posts here again it'll just be a double whammy of proving his own cowardice plus lack of conviction and letting him take all the rope he wants for his forum noose

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Jun 9, 2021

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

Deacon is not a well man.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mischievous Mink posted:

Longer than that requires an admin's approval IIRC, so there may be more coming.

Correct, mods can only do up to a 24 hour probation without admin approval. That’s why you see “placeholder” on probations sometimes.

Anyway this is off topic so please continue to discuss Steam everyone, don’t mind me

Prokhor
Jun 28, 2009

In one moment, Earth; in the next, Heaven.

StrixNebulosa posted:

I beat the game but I'm not that person but if I'd have to speculate I'd assume they mean his completely unhinged rants that just kinda happen in the middle of nowhere. Like you'll be sneaking around and he'll snarl like "I'm gonna fuckin kill you!"

Edit ayy my phone didn't update the thread but also ayy I was right

Orv posted:

Nooooo, not really? The VA for Deacon is phoned in is as hell, it just has this weird vocal quality to the phoning in that makes it unintentionally bizarre.

This though I don't agree with like -at all-. I think there's a lot of things you could say about his voice work on the game but phoned in is just not in the conversation.

Prokhor fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Jun 9, 2021

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

StrixNebulosa posted:

I probably just nuked my reddit account over this, but I responded to the dev there and asked them to do something, ANYTHING to show that Brigador isn't made by transphobes. If they can do that then I'll try giving them the benefit of the doubt. Otherwise it'll have to stay in the bin of shame with Battle Brothers.

I made a response about this and I got a response from an account that was seven minutes old parroting neonazi poo poo that I have a strong feeling was Gauss. gently caress em.

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Ugly In The Morning posted:

I made a response about this and I got a response from an account that was seven minutes old parroting neonazi poo poo that I have a strong feeling was Gauss. gently caress em.

Jesus. It's all just 100% garbage parade now, I guess. RIP to the good times that were Brigador.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Play unbeatable [white label]

It's in the Palestine bundle but it's also free on Steam

so it's muse dash crossed with one finger death punch with an art style inspired by Studio Trigger and an UI style that cribs from Persona 5 and why am I still typing instead of downloading this already

Sleve McDichael
Feb 11, 2019

~nice~
Deacon's VA definitely wasn't phoning it in, he's very protective of the game and has pissed off lots of reviewers by criticizing their negative reviews. And on the same note, it's not that is voice is 'weird', it's that his delivery and cadence is not what you'd expect and it works, for some odd reason

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Zetsubou-san posted:

so it's muse dash crossed with one finger death punch with an art style inspired by Studio Trigger and an UI style that cribs from Persona 5 and why am I still typing instead of downloading this already

I don't know Muse Dash but the rest sounds excellent download faster maynnnn

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
I liked Deacon's VA a lot.

Karma Tornado
Dec 21, 2007

The worst kind of tornado.

Sleve McDichael posted:

Deacon's VA definitely wasn't phoning it in, he's very protective of the game and has pissed off lots of reviewers by criticizing their negative reviews. And on the same note, it's not that is voice is 'weird', it's that his delivery and cadence is not what you'd expect and it works, for some odd reason

yeah I don't think he was phoning it in, either. I went with weird because it's a non standard take on a character that on paper could have just been a quippy guy in a Marvel movie and that's the direction you kind of expect for a zombie game starring a white guy with a beard

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The interesting thing is that there was actually an uptick in people talking to themselves like that with the pandemic and isolation/masks, so it’s something that got crapped on for being weird and “unrealistic” that was actually bang on. He did a great job, too. Days Gone is a great game and I’m glad to see people coming around on it over the last year or so. I know I didn’t like it at launch on the PS4 until I had played a few hours, and then it turned into something where I was constantly f5ing waiting for the PC launch date.

bideojames
Aug 29, 2004

>:3
i'm having a lot of fun w/ Days Gone and agree that Deacon's VA made me like the character a lot more than i was expecting. he sounds like he had a lot of fun recording the lines, even the quieter weirder ones, and that kind of energy always quickly endears characters to me

also it's not perfect but i really like how the motorcycle is handled. i've been riding for about a decade and this is the closest a (non-racing) game i've played has gotten to the feel of driving through trails and backroads - it's certainly not perfect but the sound design/feedback/controls of little things like letting off the throttle and coasting down a hill are really well done. (i just wish there was a manual transmission option)

for anyone else playing on PC w/ a decent rig i'd rec checking out this mod, which ups the size of the hordes and makes them genuinely scary to encounter

https://www.nexusmods.com/daysgone/mods/97

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

FREAKERS

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

bideojames posted:

i'm having a lot of fun w/ Days Gone and agree that Deacon's VA made me like the character a lot more than i was expecting. he sounds like he had a lot of fun recording the lines, even the quieter weirder ones, and that kind of energy always quickly endears characters to me

also it's not perfect but i really like how the motorcycle is handled. i've been riding for about a decade and this is the closest a (non-racing) game i've played has gotten to the feel of driving through trails and backroads - it's certainly not perfect but the sound design/feedback/controls of little things like letting off the throttle and coasting down a hill are really well done. (i just wish there was a manual transmission option)

for anyone else playing on PC w/ a decent rig i'd rec checking out this mod, which ups the size of the hordes and makes them genuinely scary to encounter

https://www.nexusmods.com/daysgone/mods/97

As someone who has yet to kill even a tiny horde, and who is terrified of them: oh god oh no, I love that this mod exists and wish to never install it

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Is there a good write-up or not-too-long video on why Dawn of War 3 was a disappointment?

Thanks to the skull event I got back into Dawn of War 2 Retribution and am enjoying it a ton. I dislike the AI a lot (suffers the CoH 2 problem of they enjoy going around capping poo poo more than doing anything else) but even that hasn't diminished my enjoyment of just playing skirmish matches against them. Tried out the Elite mod that's fun too but it made the super units (especially the Baneblade) a bit too powerful but it at least made the AI actually engage your armies more often than not.

But yeah, an honest-to-goodness sequel to 2 would be really great.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
My son really enjoys playing the old Command & Conquer style RTS games with me because his favorite part is telling me not to attack until he can build up a huge base and army and max out the tech tree, and it's honestly really sad how almost every game in that category is either 20 years old or a remaster of a game that's 20+ years old. Starcraft 2 is the most chronologically recent game in the genre as far as I can tell, and that's 11 years old. All modern attempts mix up that formula somehow, either by forcing you to be aggressive (Company of Heroes/Dawn of War 2) or keep constant time / environmental pressure on you (e.g. Northgard) or do something else entirely (e.g. Tooth and Tail). I realize that what I want is essentially Warcraft 2 with modern graphics, but it's weird how seemingly no one has done that. I guess they just figure 'Warcraft 2 already exists, why make it again'. Here lately we've been keeping it fresh by playing some of the more modern Company of Heroes-style RTSs but as allies against the computer, where I keep the CPU off his back while he gets his basebuilding fix until he's ready to attack.

But it is fun to play games like Homeworld, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 1, Stronghold Crusader, etc, with my kid. :3:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 9, 2021

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imagined posted:

My son really enjoys playing the old Command & Conquer style RTS games with me because his favorite part is telling me not to attack until he can build up a huge base and army and max out the tech tree, and it's honestly really sad how almost every game in that category is either 20 years old or a remaster of a game that's 20+ years old. Starcraft 2 is the most chronologically recent game in the genre as far as I can tell, and that's 11 years old. All modern attempts mix up that formula somehow, either by forcing you to be aggressive (Company of Heroes/Dawn of War 2) or keep constant time / environmental pressure on you (e.g. Northgard) or do something else entirely (e.g. Tooth and Tail). I realize that what I want is essentially Warcraft 2 with modern graphics, but it's weird how seemingly no one has done that. I guess they just figure 'Warcraft 2 already exists, why make it again'. Here lately we've been keeping it fresh by playing some of the more modern Company of Heroes-style RTSs but as allies against the computer, where I keep the CPU off his back while he gets his basebuilding fix until he's ready to attack.

But it is fun to play games like Homeworld, Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds, Starcraft 2, Dawn of War 1, Stronghold Crusader, etc, with my kid. :3:

Tried Grey Goo by any chance? It's pretty unspectacular but was made by former Westwood devs who worked on C&C IIRC. It does capture that same sort of old school RTS feel but it doesn't really do much out of the ordinary. Might be something the kiddo would enjoy.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Imagined posted:

Have you tried Supreme Commander? Because boy, those are sure some tech trees. Awesome game.

PowerBeard
Sep 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

explosivo posted:

Tried Grey Goo by any chance? It's pretty unspectacular but was made by former Westwood devs who worked on C&C IIRC. It does capture that same sort of old school RTS feel but it doesn't really do much out of the ordinary. Might be something the kiddo would enjoy.

Grey Goo is quite restrictive in it's base building, but has a hefty budget.

For real C&C revivalism, you could try 8 Bit Armies, which just boils everything down into pixel graphics and chaos. They basically remade WarCraft and StarCraft as well.

In the same vein, you could try Forge Battalion, which was Petroglyph Games attempt to recreate customizable C&C, where you can design your own Tech Trees and units. It's kind of bonkers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Underwhelmed
Mar 7, 2004

Nap Ghost
Im just about finished with Days Gone, and I will echo that it is a really fantastic game that is a lot better than you might assume it's parts would make it. I've enjoyed the story quite a lot, it has a good three act arc with some good performances. Not game of the year or anything, but really solid.