Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Wudz posted:

https://twitter.com/sakuramiko35/status/1402483372660649989

This reminds me, I wonder if she'll still be credited as a producer or whatever role she had in that ARK show/game/???

In case you didn't clickthrough:

https://twitter.com/Kyunich1_/status/1402489440463769607?s=20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Wudz posted:

This reminds me, I wonder if she'll still be credited as a producer or whatever role she had in that ARK show/game/???

It was a fan thing she was involved in, not the Netflix show or whatever

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

https://twitter.com/takanashikiara/status/1402488617029844995

I love you Kiara

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Carteret posted:

In completely unrelated news, Kson has gained 20k subs and a shitload of members

e: number go up lol

Nearly 2K people hanging out in a "live stream" that's not scheduled until 2023

I think she'll be just fine

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Lol after she agreed to retire they greenlit all the poo poo she had been asking for

So transparent lol. I'm sure they'll be moving back into China ASAP

Takoluka
Jun 26, 2009

Don't look at me!

Grapplejack posted:

Lol after she agreed to retire they greenlit all the poo poo she had been asking for

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, but I hope it doesn't. It would be such a blatant insult.

Exia
Feb 12, 2014

Grapplejack posted:

Shut the hell up, go somewhere else if you wanna spread some stupid false narrative

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

the gently caress is this poo poo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lHW_qqQZw2Q

Wudz fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jun 9, 2021

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
I understand being mad that a streamer you enjoy is calling it quits, but keep in mind we don't know these people. We don't have any insight into their lives other than what they carefully decide to reveal. 99% of the actual things that happen, we will never know. There is a far greater chance that her retiring is just a personal decision based on what is going on in her personal life, rather than whatever bullshit narratives people have built up in their heads.

I'm going to respect Coco and enjoy the remaining streams she has under this persona.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Wudz posted:

the gently caress is this poo poo

It's an incredibly low effort troll, probably best to just report it and move on.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's going to be weird having to explain why I'll be kinda out of it at work today.

"You see this swearing cartoon dragon is going to stop streaming soon"

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Tormented posted:

I knew she wasn't happy when she started to stream on her old channel. She been planning this for a while now.

She just used a new avatar on her old channel earlier today, and those aren't made overnight. She's definitely had this in mind for a while.

Nothing we can do about it now, but I'm gonna miss that dragon. Sure, she's going to land on her feet somewhere else, but her interactions with the rest of the Hololive crew were always worth more than the sum of their parts.

Negostrike
Aug 15, 2015

Never forget, everyone.

She's going in a blaze like a dragon, but always celebrate her badass, proactive and unifying attitude, what she stands for.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Takoluka posted:

I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, but I hope it doesn't. It would be such a blatant insult.
I don't know if it would make me drop Hololive as a whole but it certainly wouldn't help. Her story is so well-documented that it would cast doubt on even this ostensibly amiable parting if Gura suddenly started playing Muse Dash again.

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I didn't think we'd run into the vtubing problem so quickly, since the successful ones are really successful(like Coco, didn't she get 2 mil USD from superchats last year?), but Coco is such a recognizable and established figure that Coco doesn't own, so while she's sure to do well, she cannot be Coco. It's gonna be strange.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Maybe I'm giving some of her fans too much credit, but I think more people were fans of weirdo with a distinctive voice saying and doing funny and goofy nonsense than they were big tiddy dragon.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

Mulderman posted:

It's going to be weird having to explain why I'll be kinda out of it at work today.

"You see this swearing cartoon dragon is going to stop streaming soon"

yeah i had to stay up extra late to listen to a swearing dragon's angel room mate talk about how they're still gonna be room mates. but i also didnt understand a loving thing she said.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Maybe I'm giving some of her fans too much credit, but I think more people were fans of weirdo with a distinctive voice saying and doing funny and goofy nonsense than they were big tiddy dragon.

There's other big titties, but none of them swear quite like this one

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Lyer posted:

There's other big titties, but none of them swear quite like this one

I mean, maybe vei or hime, but nobody slings a "motherfucker" quite the same

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Collab?!?!

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
Dang that stinks. Hololive won’t be the same without her. Looking forward to whatever she does on her own.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Jun 9, 2021

NomChompsky
Sep 17, 2008

Belan posted:

How does it go from "tons of collabs planned" to this so suddendly?

I'm still catching up with the thread after hearing the news, but my guess is the collab with Ollie and Calli having to shut off comments and stuff was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I mean, how many times collabing with others who then have to take abuse from the people actively trying to ruin your life is before you start to feel like you're ruining other people's fun also? That's a terrible feeling, to feel like a burden on others who you just want to enjoy working with.

Edit: Yeah I know that other people have known for a while, but it sounded to me like she had that "been crying a lot of today" rasp in the voice you get. Maybe it was coming for a while, but there's something that just feels last minute about a lot of the way it was presented.

NomChompsky fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Jun 9, 2021

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Lyer posted:

I also want to say that Meme Review was a loving institution that got me through Saturday nights during this loving pandemic

I'm gonna even miss her awful reddit memes and tier lists

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

RoboChrist 9000 posted:

Grondoth posted:

I didn't think we'd run into the vtubing problem so quickly, since the successful ones are really successful(like Coco, didn't she get 2 mil USD from superchats last year?), but Coco is such a recognizable and established figure that Coco doesn't own, so while she's sure to do well, she cannot be Coco. It's gonna be strange.

Honestly it makes me somewhat curious about the exact contractual boundaries for a new identity. Like could she theoretically apply to the new VOMS positions and Gyari rigged up a big titty dragon but this one's BLUE and in the voms style, how close would that be to the limit in which direction.

Lyer
Feb 4, 2008

Jesus 60k people tuning into Kanata's stream for any news

E: Kanata and Coco are still going to be living together for a while

Lyer fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jun 9, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm unfamiliar with characters getting retired, do they shut down the accounts associated with it when they're gone, or leave them up in archival form?

Carteret
Nov 10, 2012

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm unfamiliar with characters getting retired, do they shut down the accounts associated with it when they're gone, or leave them up in archival form?

depends on the agency, but it sounds like Coco/Cover is leaving her channel up and not wiping her poo poo.

when Monoe left VOMS they nuked it

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

still pretty bummed about monoe

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

the monetization will be gone, so any members only content will be gone after September, but the account itself is going to stay up as of now.

This is one of those things that depending on the situation / how mutual the decision is tends to change. A lot of the time the Vods do go down, but it doesn't appear to be happening here.

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy

Captain Invictus posted:

Coco said that her channel and videos will remain up, but the membership content will go away since her channel will be demonetized.

Kanata's talking about how it might be troublesome with her not being allowed to talk about Coco. Vtubers that graduated becoming verboten is one of the stupidest loving things about vtuber culture.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Lyer posted:

Jesus 60k people tuning into Kanata's stream for any news

E: Kanata and Coco are still going to be living together for a while

Only a while? :smith:

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

NomChompsky posted:

I'm still catching up with the thread after hearing the news, but my guess is the collab with Ollie and Calli having to shut off comments and stuff was just the straw that broke the camel's back. I mean, how many times collabing with others who then have to take abuse from the people actively trying to ruin your life is before you start to feel like you're ruining other people's fun also? That's a terrible feeling, to feel like a burden on others who you just want to enjoy working with.
These decisions are not done in less than one day dude.

Sharkitten posted:

They haven't actually discussed it at all. She's staying for at least a month for sure.

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever

Sharkitten posted:

She's just saying there's no current plans for Coco to move out, so they will be living as they were.

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

this is the highest profile retirement for a vtuber so far, right?

itll be interesting to see how it breaks out, since its absolutely going to test a lot of the weirder things we've seen around how the industry handles this, and make a lot of the weird power imbalances more noticeable (performers not owning their work history, etc)

edit: I guess its less that they dont own their work history, and more that its considered not great to even publicly claim your work history as your own, and to rely on word of mouth. the former is common for performers, the latter not so much

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

NomChompsky posted:

my guess is the collab with Ollie and Calli having to shut off comments and stuff was just the straw that broke the camel's back.

given that the other JP members have been aware that she was leaving for at least a little while now, this seems unlikely

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

NomChompsky posted:

I sincerely doubt this was a decision made in the last 24 hours

I also don't think "retiring july 1st" and "having a lot of collab plans" are mutually exclusive things. She's got time.

lih
May 15, 2013

Just a friendly reminder of what it looks like.

We'll do punctuation later.
would Kanata not just be able to say 'my dragon roommate' or whatever lol

kirbysuperstar posted:

Not sure on the fluency levels, but Cali, Iofi, Risu can get by enough for collabs and conversation.
Ollie is pretty fluent in both and Ina's Japanese has seemed great on the rare occasions she brings it out, certainly good enough for collabs & making conversation

motoh
Oct 16, 2012

The clack of a light autocannon going off is just how you know everything's alright.
Remember to gauge speculation appropriately - yeah we can see /spoiler 'things happened here' or that things happened in a chat, but the only ones who definitely know anything aren't going to tell us, and want us to keep on rocking. It's the best thing we can do as fans.

e: Also anyone still listening to narukami can gently caress right off

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

Varinn posted:

this is the highest profile retirement for a vtuber so far, right?

the closest equivalent is the whole Death and Return of Kizuna Ai debacle, probably

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
There´s plenty of Hololive members who can speak multiple languages now.
The Japanese talents are also working hard on improving their English.
Subaru and Moona had a great `It Takes 2´ collab last week.
Coco can rest easy knowing the agency she leaves behind will continue to do fine without her.