Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I'll give them credit for trying to produce anything special and unique when they could easily release the 'gently caress you, you'll buy it anyways' gpu and it would still sell out instantly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

I've bought a modmat, a shirt, a toolkit, and a mousemat.

I'm in for a t-shirt, a poster, and a mouse mat. Can confirm the mouse mat is very good. Whenever I actually get around to teaching myself soldering I'll probably get a mod mat too.

Credit to GN for producing substantive quality products for financial support instead of just relying on a Patreon and #content.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
How? How do you do this? This is getting so ridiculous that it's hard to believe it's real.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The cooler in that build is the DeepCool Gamma Archer, which I can recognize instantly because I used to own one of those.

I would NOT recommend that you get one - despite it being cheap and being good enough for ~65w, non-OC'ed parts, the problem is not just that it uses the AMD mounting method of tension brackets that you need to manhandle into clipping in place, but also the construction of the thing is such that you can't really put it on or take it off from the motherboard without removing the fan, which is a huge hassle for something so small.

I'd recommend the DeepCool Ice Edge Mini FS instead for a super-cheap cooler in that price range.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

K8.0 posted:

How? How do you do this? This is getting so ridiculous that it's hard to believe it's real.

Every computer that gets shipped will be dropped. Every computer that gets shipped will be thrown. If UPS or FedEx- especially FedEx- see a box that looks like it COULD have a computer inside it, that box will be dropped, thrown, and kicked for good measure. That's why computers get shipped with those stupid foam bricks inside you've got to remove, and one reason why real computers that cost a lot of money like workstations and servers are solid and heavy.

iBuyPower not packing the computer well enough to survive shipping is thus a problem entirely on them, but even worse is how they ignored Steve's emails about it for a week

avoid doorways
Jun 6, 2010

'twas brillig
Gun Saliva
https://i.imgur.com/GVSF969.mp4

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
At this point if you're a boutique gaming PC company, how do you not have a special flag on all orders from the Raleigh area for "this might be GN, don't gently caress it up".

FuturePastNow posted:

and one reason why real computers that cost a lot of money like workstations and servers are solid and heavy.

Oooh hey I've got a great idea: what if we made them out of glass?!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Klyith posted:

At this point if you're a boutique gaming PC company, how do you not have a special flag on all orders from the Raleigh area for "this might be GN, don't gently caress it up".

I think all of the machines they’ve reviewed so far, they said they bought at a local Best Buy.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

CaptainPsyko posted:

I think all of the machines they’ve reviewed so far, they said they bought at a local Best Buy.

Yeah they're explicitly buying this stuff in a way to avoid getting special treatment. Given how Steve is I wouldn't be surprised if when they did buy something direct they were having it shipped to a proxy to avoid the potential of someone recognising the office address.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

CaptainPsyko posted:

Definitely not all, the wallmart one was an order & ship one, 'cause wallmart sent them the wrong PC. And the dell / alienware.

Though scanning throught the vid again yeah this was off the shelf. Which makes the damage even more :psyduck: -- best buy isn't fedexing stuff to their stores, they have their own trucks. And I'd think that Best Buy would generally try not to have poo poo thrown around, considering they sell TVs and other breakable poo poo.

But in that case I don't know that blaming ibuypower for damage that equally could be best buy's fault is fair. And also makes some of the non-response to the support email a bit hard to pin down. If best buy is selling it, and it's withing the 30 day purchase window, ibuypower may have a legit "this is best buy's responsibility" defense.

tldr I'm not sure buying these from a secondary retailer is a totally fair review vs direct order

njsykora posted:

Yeah they're explicitly buying this stuff in a way to avoid getting special treatment. Given how Steve is I wouldn't be surprised if when they did buy something direct they were having it shipped to a proxy to avoid the potential of someone recognising the office address.

IIRC back when they did the NZXT they said it was shipped to a different address and not with Steve's or any staff member's name, to avoid special treatment. I'm sure they're continuing that. That's why I was saying anyone in the Raleigh area.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
They bought the dell from Best Buy (the yet to be reviewed Alienware they’ve talked about was apparently ordered direct). (And yeah, I should have been clear when I said all, I meant from this years recent round, not the wal mart/NZXT fiascos of years past)

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFaJZq13tr8
The Dell gets worse.

E: Steve is getting spicy today.
https://twitter.com/gamersnexus/status/1399191139547336708?s=21

njsykora fucked around with this message at 05:58 on May 31, 2021

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Linus (on the WAN show) just finished his defense of his positive review of the 3080TI when everybody else in the industry trashed the card.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Tuxedo Gin posted:

Linus (on the WAN show) just finished his defense of his positive review of the 3080TI when everybody else in the industry trashed the card.

Let's just say it moved me

TO A BIGGER HOUSE!!

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

The whole concept of is the 3080 Ti a good or bad buy is idiotic right now, because you can't buy loving GPUs and the prices haven't stabilized on the new ones yet. None of it means anything at all.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Someone in the GPU thread summed it up when they said everyone knew the card was a massive rip off and a bunch of people in the thread are still going to try and queue up for one.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

njsykora posted:

Someone in the GPU thread summed it up when they said everyone knew the card was a massive rip off and a bunch of people in the thread are still going to try and queue up for one.

A 3080Ti at retail is a better value than a 3080 at scalped prices.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

jisforjosh posted:

A 3080Ti at retail is a better value than a 3080 at scalped prices.

Shame that in the UK even the retailers are scalping (CCL gently caress off with the £2k+ prices for a £1050 RRP card).

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

It's clearly a very good graphics card, so it just comes down to price and availability, and it's not a winner on that front.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
There are no bad parts, just bad prices

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1402597049619603458

:(

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Can't be an official account if you have a Z at the end of your site name, it just has to be like that.

Worldshatter
May 7, 2015

:kazooieass:PEPSI for TV-GAME:kazooieass:

Is there a tangible benefit to twitter verification beyond it just being more difficult to impersonate you (which if you're a big personality/a business, is admittedly a big plus)?

Just noticed a lot of people going for it and getting rejected recently

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Worldshatter posted:

Is there a tangible benefit to twitter verification beyond it just being more difficult to impersonate you (which if you're a big personality/a business, is admittedly a big plus)?

You get a lot more notification filter options and some support priority based on what I've seen verified people talk about in the past. There is a tangible benefit in terms of making the site better to use.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Worldshatter posted:

Adds some functionality to your account, though the reason you're seeing it a lot more is that Twitter recently opened back up accepting verification requests

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

let the anger flow through your salt beef filling

Worldshatter posted:

I used to helm a verified account for work, although it was a year ago so apologies if this is out of date or if any of this is now just available to every twitter acc:

You can filter notifications by other verified accounts, which is good if you get notifications in volume, and if your communications strategy needs you to court or otherwise hassle influential people

It's generally good for growing your audience. A blue tick will get you noticed and help grow your follower count - especially if you're tweeting as an organisation/company/media outlet. People trust a blue tick.

The huge one though is that it gives you access to Twitter Media Studio. This lets you schedule Tweets (which other websites do), but also schedule video clips to twitter, and include things like .srt subtitle files, and also stores your media to make it easier to tweet out again down the road.

It's kind of ridiculous how much more you can do. Your analytics also get a lot richer. It'll give you estimates for the education level of your followers, how many of them are homeowners, their consumer buying habits, all kindws of creepy stuff like that.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Important GN spoilers from the community tab, they have found a good prebuilt.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/VideoCardz/status/1403261477511892998

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Why does the car need to be able to play Cyberpunk (or any videogame) other than it's what Elon's Twitter deciples (the least cool people on the planet) think is cool.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Why does it have a GPU? Because it makes sense for self-driving applications, especially Telsa's heavily camera-focused approach. Why run CP2077? Because it's good marketing for a company that wants to sell infinite possibilities that will never happen.

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~
Considering most car infotainment systems have the performance of a 6-year-old budget Android tablet, it’s not a bad advertising approach.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
hot drat I love me some drama

https://twitter.com/HardwareUnboxed/status/1403306056852385793

jiffynuts
Jul 6, 2005

It's a-me-a-ha-me-ha
Wow. Did LG actually think this was going to work? (At least on HWU.)

Wonder how many smaller sites caved in to their demands.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Space Racist posted:

Considering most car infotainment systems have the performance of a 6-year-old budget Android tablet, it’s not a bad advertising approach.
Considering it's impossible to get videocardz now, might not be the best choice for a company known to have issues with production.

E: the approach now where manufacturers offload the heavy lifting to Android/Apple and just mirror cast the phone somewhat is probably the best take on it

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 12:53 on Jun 11, 2021

Jeff Fatwood
Jun 17, 2013
Now you can get driven over by a Radeon GPU. What a time to be alive.

Also lol, what the hell were LG thinking??

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

Space Racist posted:

Why does my infotainment need to have a Navi 23 GPU over a 6 year old budget Android tablet instead of a 2 year old budget Android tablet?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

lmao, those LG emails are incredible.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

jisforjosh posted:

Why does my infotainment need to have a Navi 23 GPU over a 6 year old budget Android tablet instead of a 2 year old budget Android tablet?

its not for media playback. it's for offline neural net processing because you cannot be online on the road.

it's for the camera object recognization.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

EVIL Gibson posted:

its not for media playback. it's for offline neural net processing because you cannot be online on the road.

it's for the camera object recognization.

I thought the AI processing was separated from the infotainment stuff. I wonder how they handle scheduling if it’s a shared resource. That used to be a big problem just in VR, let alone safety applications.

Or do you mean that it’s for local training of the network? I hadn’t heard that they were doing that either!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cage-free egghead
Mar 8, 2004
It’s for crypto mining while you drive!