Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Hey y'all, I wanna do a thread refresh to include some new info in the OP and just keep things real fresh and zesty. Can you all give me 3 cigar recommendations, at least one of which is newbie-appropriate? For example, I'd probably do the Leaf Corojo lancero, the Perdomo Champagne Purito, and the Padron 2000. If you have any must-have accessories (I'll be mentioning the PerfecDraw, for example) that would be great too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Kenning posted:

Hey y'all, I wanna do a thread refresh to include some new info in the OP and just keep things real fresh and zesty. Can you all give me 3 cigar recommendations, at least one of which is newbie-appropriate? For example, I'd probably do the Leaf Corojo lancero, the Perdomo Champagne Purito, and the Padron 2000. If you have any must-have accessories (I'll be mentioning the PerfecDraw, for example) that would be great too.

Hell yeah!

Sobremesa Short Churchill
H.Upmann by AJ Fernandez
ANYTHING by My Father, but especially the Fonseca, Flor de Las Antillas, and La Opulencia

As for accessories, I love my cheap crappy V-cutter, so I'd definitely recommend a V cutter of any sort.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
Seconding the Flor De Las Antilles for sure as newbie friendly.

I’ll also toss in Illusione Epernay on a the medium side, and maybe Foundation Tabernacle on the fuller side.

And yeah, I love my v-cut. Maybe mention that you can probably get a really solid v-cut and torch if you lurk cigar bid?

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Oh yeah, I'll have a whole section on how to use the auction sites to get deals, especially on hardware.

Also! Pipegoons, now that a critical mass of you has assembled, would anyone be willing to draft a quick primer? I'd say just a quick rundown of the following:

1) types of pipes
2) types of tobacco
3) how to smoke
4) how to store tobacco and maintain pipes
5) where to buy pipes and tobacco
6) recommended pipes/tobaccos for people who are pipe-curious

If nobody's up for drafting a whole guide, I can also just consolidate some recommendations from this thread and post them in a pipe section, but I'd love to use something a bit more finished.

ThatOneGuy
Jul 26, 2001

Revolutionary Taste.
The newbiest most friendly recommendation:
1) don’t
2) buy
3) a humidor

Plastic, food grade (the plastic smell is waaaay easier to get out), air-tight container and Boveda bags, GG EZ.

Cigars:
Padron Londres Natural
Padron 1926 No 6 Maduro
Placencia Alma Feurte

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

I'll let someone else cover the first two parts, but here's a contribution for the rest:

This playlist covers nearly everything about smoking pipes:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_eIA77u0045uRa4mwaO0NyTUkmdtbXnw

A lot of maintenance and things like that are done on an "as needed" basis. Depends on how you smoke and how much. Trust your senses for when things are sour or off and give it a clean.

You can just store tobacco in mason jars right off the truck. You don't want to keep them in a Ziploc bag or in an already opened tin for more than a day or two after opening.

You can get tobacco pouches to carry a day's worth. Pipe tobacco generally ships much more moist than you actually want to smoke it, so these pouches are quite handy if you like one flavor all day.

My favorite pipe smoking site is https://www.smokingpipes.com

The website has "pipe locator" and "tobacco locator" tools. You can use these to find different kinds of pipes to find or try different styles and features. The tobacco locator is really great to try and find new things or find blends similar to the ones you like.

For hardware, I'd probably pick up a Savinelli One kit. It's got pretty much everything you need to get started, and you can use a 6mm pipe with or without a filter quite effectively.

If you're going with one of those kits, I'd check out the 6mm activated charcoal filters to compare/contrast with the balsa ones included in the kit. They're a dryer smoke than balsa or unfiltered:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/filters-and-adaptors/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=410935

For other supplies, I really love these pipe cleaners:

https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-cleaners-and-cleaning-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=301554

For starter tobaccos, this kit seems to cover a lot of bases, I haven't tried it myself, though.

https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipe-tobacco/amphora/Amphora-Sampler/product_id/346122

I'd probably also recommend checking out the Lane Limited 1-Q if only because it's the best selling aromatic in the world. Other classics that are naturals are Presbyterian Mixture and Three Nuns.

Last accessories I'll recommend are for if you like smoking and go back for more. No need for these on a first order:

Clean and Cure for deep cleaning your pipe: https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-cleaners-and-cleaning-supplies/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=137370

A bowl reamer to reducer carbon buildup. You'll always want some carbon, but this is the tool to get rid of the excess: https://www.smokingpipes.com/accessories/pipe-tampers-and-tools/moreinfo.cfm?product_id=84690

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

ThatOneGuy posted:

1) don’t
2) buy
3) a humidor

Plastic, food grade (the plastic smell is waaaay easier to get out), air-tight container and Boveda bags, GG EZ.

Oh hello.

Like a decade ago when I tried to get into cigars I went the standard humidor route and holy poo poo is this so much easier.

charliebravo77 fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Jun 4, 2021

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Great stuff, thanks NFM.

ThatOneGuy posted:

1) don’t
2) buy
3) a humidor

Yeah absolutely, I'll be pushing simple humidification solutions.

charliebravo77 posted:

Oh hello.

Like a decade ago when I tried to get into cigars I went the standard humidor route and holy poo poo is this so much easier.

Hell yeah, great photo. Okay for me to use in the OP?

charliebravo77
Jun 11, 2003

Kenning posted:

Great stuff, thanks NFM.
Yeah absolutely, I'll be pushing simple humidification solutions.
Hell yeah, great photo. Okay for me to use in the OP?

Sure, go for it.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN
And in case we want recommended Tupperware, this is the Sistema Klip It 236 oz container from Amazon with a cedar tray and my special occasion cigars

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

NewFatMike posted:

Increasingly engineered solutions are required.

drat!! No words......5 Hours, that's commitment

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!

Ophidian posted:

I cracked a mag46 from the ‘19 box I picked up a few weeks ago. Goddamn it was good

My main goto smoke, all around one of the best sticks on the market....

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

Woo WOO, Look a Parrot...
LOOK AT IT!

zuffenphile posted:

My main goto smoke, all around one of the best sticks on the market....

I’m trying real hard not to blow through this box. I have so much stuff from ‘01-‘12 to get through but it’s hard not to just grab one.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Oh yeah, I'll have a whole section on how to use the auction sites to get deals, especially on hardware.

Also! Pipegoons, now that a critical mass of you has assembled, would anyone be willing to draft a quick primer? I'd say just a quick rundown of the following:

1) types of pipes
2) types of tobacco
3) how to smoke
4) how to store tobacco and maintain pipes
5) where to buy pipes and tobacco
6) recommended pipes/tobaccos for people who are pipe-curious

If nobody's up for drafting a whole guide, I can also just consolidate some recommendations from this thread and post them in a pipe section, but I'd love to use something a bit more finished.

I'll give this a run down over the weekend if you like.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Tatuaje 10th anniversary bon chasseur is pretty much perfect.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'll give this a run down over the weekend if you like.

Sweet! Between what you write and what NFM wrote upthread there'll be an excellent pipe guide for the new thread.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

The Padron Londres Natural is real delicious

Happy weekend friends!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Hell yeah, I almost picked up the Londres but I went with the Corticos instead. Padron is so good.

I just reorganized my humidor and it feels amazing. I'm gonna take pictures of it for the new thread, but having everything lined up just so rocks.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Aww yeah, I'm extremely psyched to do the actual organizing in the rejiggered humidor here as well.

Looking forward to your stick pics :grin:

E: I just learned that Boveda make their own humidors with holders. The big one gets close to scratch-and-dent wineadors, but it's pretty neat:

https://store.bovedainc.com/products/boveda-acrylic-humidor-small

NewFatMike fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Jun 5, 2021

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
Smoking an epicure 1. I used to prefer these over the epi 2 but I’m not sure now. It took 1/3 to really get going and I could have gotten right into it with the epi 2. This warrants further investigation.

Delicious either way and a nice lighter stick vs all the medium + sticks I’ve been smoking recently.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Popping in for a Quesada 40th anniversary Robusto today. This thing reeks of feet, I'm fuckin psyched.

Hope y'all had a good Monday!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

Insanely good budget stick alert- AJ Fernandez New World puro especial were like 85 bux a box from Atlantic and they are absolutely fabulous. Bold and spicy and it turns into a big ol fudge brownie as it goes. Very strong recommendation from me for this one.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Quesada 40th Robusto was a bust-o. It didn't really have anything going for it besides the fermented funk which I enjoy, but it was pretty one note.

It reminded me so much of the La Aurora 115th that it just made me wish I were smoking that instead.

big boi
Jun 11, 2007

I'm a cigar idiot but I smoked a smallish Ashton Connecticut and it was real good

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Welcome to the thread fellow poster. Great to have you here!

On Saturday I smoked that Jose L. Piedras from the box pass. First time smoking a short-filler stick, and it was definitely tasty. The draw was fairly tight though, and I think being short-filled the PerfecDraw didn't work the way I'm used to, and it ended up sort of hollowing out the cap-end as the short flakes came straight out. I was able to muddle through for about half of the cigar, but it ended up getting dodgy eventually and I called it. Considering the price I'd definitely give it another go, in case there's a technique for opening it up that could work better.

Goddamn I cannot wait for my Padron Corticos to arrive tomorrow.

Nexein
May 2, 2012

"Donuts of
Champions"

big boi posted:

I'm a cigar idiot but I smoked a smallish Ashton Connecticut and it was real good

The good news is we're all cigar idiots, welcome in!

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

big boi posted:

Cool part about this hobby is being a nerd about it is 100 percent optional. As long as you're finding sticks you enjoy then rock on. I am a hopeless nerd about everything I take even a passing interest in but at the end of the day we're sticking leaves in our mouths and setting them on fire and it really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

Nexein posted:

The good news is we're all cigar idiots, welcome in!

Hell yeah degenerate idiot crew.

Gramps posted:

Cool part about this hobby is being a nerd about it is 100 percent optional. As long as you're finding sticks you enjoy then rock on. I am a hopeless nerd about everything I take even a passing interest in but at the end of the day we're sticking leaves in our mouths and setting them on fire and it really doesn't need to be any more complicated than that.

This is also completely true. One of the reasons a thread like this is nice is that if you ever wanna try something new there are folks in here trying all sorts of stuff and reporting back. I've learned about several of my favorite cigars from this thread!

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I learned everything other than how to cut and light a cigar from the old thread. Good stuff all around.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Kenning posted:

Welcome to the thread fellow poster. Great to have you here!

On Saturday I smoked that Jose L. Piedras from the box pass. First time smoking a short-filler stick, and it was definitely tasty. The draw was fairly tight though, and I think being short-filled the PerfecDraw didn't work the way I'm used to, and it ended up sort of hollowing out the cap-end as the short flakes came straight out. I was able to muddle through for about half of the cigar, but it ended up getting dodgy eventually and I called it. Considering the price I'd definitely give it another go, in case there's a technique for opening it up that could work better.

Goddamn I cannot wait for my Padron Corticos to arrive tomorrow.

Those JLPs have been more miss than hit for me too, same for a box of Bolivars (thankfully the other is good). I'm planning on letting them sit for a long time and seeing if they've improved at all in a few months.

Contribution could have been better, so I'll have to make up for it on the next one 😉

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.

Kenning posted:

Sweet! Between what you write and what NFM wrote upthread there'll be an excellent pipe guide for the new thread.

I failed. :eng99: I'll work something up this week, though.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

NewFatMike posted:

Those JLPs have been more miss than hit for me too, same for a box of Bolivars (thankfully the other is good). I'm planning on letting them sit for a long time and seeing if they've improved at all in a few months.

Contribution could have been better, so I'll have to make up for it on the next one 😉

Hahahahah nono! I was super pleased to have tried it, and like I said it tasted great. I'd been planning on another box pass, I think I'll try and get it going in the next week or two.

If you were in on the last one and you still have the same address, just post and say you're in. If you'd like to get in on this one, send me a PM with your address!

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I failed. :eng99: I'll work something up this week, though.

It's cool, there's no big hurry on the new thread. I'm still working on it in the background.

Lyon
Apr 17, 2003
I smoked the Four Kicks Capa Especial tonight and for the most part found it underwhelming but I've never loved Sumatra.

Ophidian
Jan 12, 2005

LOOK AT IT!
I had my last ‘16 RASS from a cab last night. It was a good stick but I think I’m just kind of over RASS’ in general. I find myself reaching for so many other things before considering a RASS when it used to be my #1 go to.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

zuffenphile
Aug 31, 2004
wo alles anfing!
I'm back Baby......

Finally found a job, I have been inattentive due to the search. Can't wait to start buying again.....so much on my list!

Ophidian posted:

I had my last ‘16 RASS from a cab last night. It was a good stick but I think I’m just kind of over RASS’ in general. I find myself reaching for so many other things before considering a RASS when it used to be my #1 go to.

Oh well ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

yeah, I understand, I really liked certain sticks / blends....then a new one came along that was amazing. However, i have always come back to my HUP MAG 46.

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

zuffenphile posted:

I'm back Baby......

Finally found a job, I have been inattentive due to the search. Can't wait to start buying again.....so much on my list!

yeah, I understand, I really liked certain sticks / blends....then a new one came along that was amazing. However, i have always come back to my HUP MAG 46.

Congrats on the job! Hope you get to smoke something nice to celebrate.

The Parsons arrived today, I'm super stoked to bust one out. Gonna see my buddies tomorrow to give them their share. I'll report back.

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Congrats Zuffenphile! I bet it's a load off your shoulders.

Had a LAdC Rothschild from my most recent restock yesterday, and it's certainly not ready. I did find a Tatuaje Verocru Petite Corona knocking around in there from forever ago that was just exquisite.

Real psyched to hear about those Corticos!

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Had a big day, so I'm treating myself to the Warped Lirio Rojo I picked up a little while ago.

I don't smoke a bunch of Warped smokes, but I do really enjoy their Cloud Hopper pipe tobacco.

It's a Corona at 5-1/2" x 44. They're available in 50 cabs, which is one of the reasons it caught my attention in the first place.

It's pretty full bodied, which is great after the day that I've had. Lots of cinnamon, some clove, and pleasant must like an old book. I'm really surprised at how the clove jumps out from time to time.

It's a good time!

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I've been out of the loop on cigars for a couple years, but I just got back from Mexico and picked up a handful at the (insanely overpriced) LCDH in Playa del Carmen. I've got a desktop humidor that's been sitting there empty and unused for a good 3-4 years. I wiped it down well with distilled water, and put a shot glass of distilled water in, and then put the sticks in still in there ziploc bag. Anything else I should be doing in the short term? I'll go out tomorrow and get one of those small gel humidity packs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

That's about what you need - re seasoning a humidor can take a bit, but keep an eye on that Boveda pack. If it starts to feel crunchy check out how to recharge them. It's probably going to be doing a bunch of leg work.