Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

RustyKnight posted:

I want to get fit but my ADHD says that I should get really into ham radios instead of going out for a run

this was my strat and it worked pretty well! i recommend

not the best if you wanna be strong i guess

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I used to do strength training but now I don't

I looked much better back then.

my youngest is sporty and plays rugby. good old 10 years olds smashing into each other

my 12 year on the other hand likes skyrim and watching tech review vlogs

next year is first year of highschool. I am going to make him do strength traning if he does nothign else. i'll pay for a personal trainer if I have to. he's got kinda awkward posture etc and strength training can help a lot, its hard to stand up straight when you're weak but if your core is used to lifting much more than your body weight, then keeoing your body straight is easy. plus more likely to be a hit with the chicks if hes got a bit of muscle going.

I am banking on him thanking me ten years down the track for forcing him to do it lol

Zaxxon
Feb 14, 2004

Wir Tanzen Mekanik
oh man I got one week before my vaccine marinates fully and then I can go back to the gym. I'm so loving sick of super high volume sand bag workouts and want to squat with something on my back again.

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Zaxxon posted:

oh man I got one week before my vaccine marinates fully and then I can go back to the gym. I'm so loving sick of super high volume sand bag workouts and want to squat with something on my back again.

text me

Stack Machine
Mar 6, 2016

I can see through time!
Fun Shoe
e: context cause i missed a few posts

RustyKnight posted:

I want to get fit but my ADHD says that I should get really into ham radios instead of going out for a run

a foxhunt could be a run. you could call it a jog periodic.

Stack Machine fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 13, 2021

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

apparently some moving around and cardio in the morning is enough to basically be dead for the rest of the day

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
what the poo poo is a body battery

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

it's a crystal. i'm planning on having the fellas over to my basement so we can jack off and charge up my own body battery

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

mediaphage posted:

what the poo poo is a body battery

a number made up by a gizmo that validates me when I feel super loving tired

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

my gym shut down accounts for covid, but i still cancelled and had to remake/resign a new contract

they reopened in may. i reenabled this last week and went on friday. i am fully vaxed for a month+ and they have a mask and distancing policy

during-and-post workout was probably the best i've felt in a year, though my core and legs are still shot, today, Monday

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Share Bear posted:

my gym shut down accounts for covid, but i still cancelled and had to remake/resign a new contract

they reopened in may. i reenabled this last week and went on friday. i am fully vaxed for a month+ and they have a mask and distancing policy

during-and-post workout was probably the best i've felt in a year, though my core and legs are still shot, today, Monday

I'm excited about going back to the gym, it's been about a month since my 2nd shot but i'm going to wait another week before going back.

Did you mask up when in the gym?

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I'm excited about going back to the gym, it's been about a month since my 2nd shot but i'm going to wait another week before going back.

Did you mask up when going to the gym?

yeah mask on the entire time EXCEPT when i was done and very winded, stepped outside to catch my breath

i know there isn't really an airflow issue but it feels like it when all the spittle you exhale is contained in your mask

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮
I want to get fit but my bipolar says I should eat a bunch of snacks instead. what do I do yospos

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Silver Alicorn posted:

I want to get fit but my bipolar says I should eat a bunch of snacks instead. what do I do yospos

Do what I do OP and go the gym so you can eat a bag of black pepper kettle chips in 1 sitting and not feel bad about it.

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

Silver Alicorn posted:

do one thing at a time and don't make too many drastic changes at the same time

eat snacks, then go to the gym, repeat

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Do what I do OP and go the gym so you can eat a bag of black pepper kettle chips in 1 sitting and not feel bad about it.

literally the only reason i run and work out

i eat like a jar of peanut butter a week lol

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

I'm stalling out at around 200 pounds for a 1 rep bench max. My primitive bro brain has wanted 225 for years now (1 NFL combine rep) and its getting discouraging :(

Getting pretty into "builder" smoothies so maybe that will help (me get really fat)

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

boy oh boy are front squats hard on my wrists, and i'm not doing anywhere near the heaviest i can actually squat

i was pretty sure i didn't want a rack in my apartment cause it'd be too big but now i'm wondering...

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I gave up on front and clean and snatches cuz of how unnaturally it bent my wrist

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

ADINSX posted:

I'm stalling out at around 200 pounds for a 1 rep bench max. My primitive bro brain has wanted 225 for years now (1 NFL combine rep) and its getting discouraging :(

Getting pretty into "builder" smoothies so maybe that will help (me get really fat)

225 is two big plates (45lb weights) so i see the desire for symmetry there

do people call them this? i probably invented my own jargon if that's not the case

ADINSX
Sep 9, 2003

Wanna run with my crew huh? Rule cyberspace and crunch numbers like I do?

Share Bear posted:

225 is two big plates (45lb weights) so i see the desire for symmetry there

do people call them this? i probably invented my own jargon if that's not the case

Yeah it’s a milestone because of that, I’ve heard (and I’ve heard people refer to it as “two plates”). At this point I just want it because I’ve been chasing it on and off for so long

Share Bear
Apr 27, 2004

i'm keeping this alive because i am absolutely annoying everyone i know to do exercise again since i've been on hiatus for a year

today was arm day, i feel like a t-rex how anemic my bench is comparatively to squat/deadlifts, but got through it

but i also think a lot of guys ONLY work on their arms/chest given how much more busy the dumbell section is than the racks are

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

I fell off the exercise wagon after getting a cold and need to get going again. My ring fit misses me

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

im back up to 225x6repsx4sets on bench (matches my pre-covid maxes) and squats are back up to 245

my brain feel better

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

maybe once i max out this dumbbell plates set i'll consider joining a gym, but i'm already limited by what i can do without a rack

honestly i need some instruction, i've probably picked up some bad habits going solo over the years

but hey, at least my wrists are starting to stretch out, getting a bit more comfortable with front squats (all of 80lbs total tho lmao)

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

yea I could barely do any front squat with the clean grip (or anything really) because of the wrist shenanigans.

it's a show off exercise anyway... right? Like, what does it offer that normal squats don't? Ive never understood that so maybe this is a great thread to ask in!

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

KoRMaK posted:

yea I could barely do any front squat with the clean grip (or anything really) because of the wrist shenanigans.

it's a show off exercise anyway... right? Like, what does it offer that normal squats don't? Ive never understood that so maybe this is a great thread to ask in!

Iirc they both target roughly the same muscle groups although the front squats focus a bit more on the anterior muscles vs the posterior muscles that are activated when you do back squats.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

i've never been able to do cleans or front squats, my body doesn't like to bend that way

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

PokeJoe posted:

i've never been able to do cleans or front squats, my body doesn't like to bend that way

Try getting good OP

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

no, i don't think i will

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

:same:

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

KoRMaK posted:

i've never heard it called that, it's just something i can do without a rack (clean the bar into position, then do the set)

obviously i can't do nearly what my own squat max would be and a lot of learning to do these is learning to trust that i'm controlling the weight

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

weighted squats kind of scare the poo poo out of me for no good reason

i've been tempted to get some stuff to do weights at home (especially since things will be opening up soon and no doubt the used market will flood as people go back to gyms) since i don't want to have to go to a gym ever really

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

mediaphage posted:

weighted squats kind of scare the poo poo out of me for no good reason

i've been tempted to get some stuff to do weights at home (especially since things will be opening up soon and no doubt the used market will flood as people go back to gyms) since i don't want to have to go to a gym ever really

my weight set would be considered pathetic by most lifters' standards (just some dumbbell bars with about 200lb total of plates and a little joint to make them a barbell) but they've been seriously good for me mentally

beats the hell out of my apartment's gym, i'm never going back there

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

carry on then posted:

i've never heard it called that, it's just something i can do without a rack (clean the bar into position, then do the set)

obviously i can't do nearly what my own squat max would be and a lot of learning to do these is learning to trust that i'm controlling the weight
ohhh, yea that would be great for when you don't have a power rack. Ok I recind calling it a showoff lift. Sorry clean and snatch, you are an exercise of the people and I was wrong

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

carry on then posted:

my weight set would be considered pathetic by most lifters' standards (just some dumbbell bars with about 200lb total of plates and a little joint to make them a barbell) but they've been seriously good for me mentally

yeah i tend to put in about 4 miles a day on the treadmill most days and mix in yoga and bodyweight and biking the rest of the time, but i definitely feel like i could be doing more than push ups and pull ups to work on the body

i don't have any real desire to push big numbers, mostly just to do more than i am now

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

carry on then posted:

yea once you get above like 150lbs it feels like you're actually doing work. Just do a lot more reps

I was doing one legged squats with just body weight and I'm pretty sure that was the equivalent of much more than my barbell squat max, they were brutal and probably around 175lbs of body weight being moved around

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

i shoot for 6x8-12 and always trying to go heavier when i have the weights to do so

honestly it's probably the eating holding me back, i'm terrified of getting fat so i just can't make myself eat more than what feels "safe" so i pretty much stay the way i am, especially since i have a little extra fat and there's always that voice in the back of my head saying you need to lose weight fatass

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

carry on then posted:

If you want a cheap way to increase the range of your dumbbells you can try incorporating bands.

e: You might not be able to do them exactly like you have been doing in the past but it's a nice way to get some extended mileage out of your dumbbells.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZBkN17_G3k

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20-utFXBwG0

AnimeIsTrash fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I was listening to stav and Ethan (the huge guy from my name is Earl is who ripped now) talk about food and struggles and I'd really really like to get my nutrition under control

https://www.podchaser.com/podcasts/american-glutton-986219/episodes/stavros-halkias-comedian-actor-90893943

What are good resources to get myself refamiliar with how to balance my macros for maintenance and weight loss?