Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

That movie was so funny to teen me that I still know all the words to the poem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Hey, is this the thread to ask where I "should" stop watching Supernatural? I just saw the first episode and liked it, but I think I recall hearing the show lingers too long and has a decline in quality. I'd much, much rather watch a great season or two and call it good even up to ending on a cliff hanger, rather than follow a show to end. As an example, I only ever saw the first two seasons of Game of Thrones and I'm happy with how that's left my feelings on the show.

So, is this at all the case with Supernatural?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Na just watch all 10 seasons.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

GreenNight posted:

Na just watch all 10 seasons.

There are 15 and gently caress noooo.

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, is this at all the case with Supernatural?

Watch until Season 5, then pick and choose episodes based on whether Ben Edlund wrote them or not. Maybe the animated one too.

That's it. I tried binging a random set of popular episodes from a late season period of the show and they were so flat and bad. I think the demon housekeeper one was the only one I could stand, and I still wouldn't recommend it.

Tldr Season 5.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I had no idea they were that many and I just googled it and apparently there are 15 and I'm not doing that, I'm absolutely going to lose interest somewhere in the first five or so.

Edit: missed the above post, thanks.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The first 5 seasons are the creator’s original vision for the show, and everything after is extra stuff because it was crazy popular

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
Why not just watch stuff and then stop when you're not interested anymore, that's what I do.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

Why not just watch stuff and then stop when you're not interested anymore, that's what I do.

For me, personally, it's exactly because of stuff like "the creator's original vision was the first five seasons"; I'd rather not watch season six with a growing sense of dissatisfaction and then leave the show on a low note.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

There's a lot of good stuff in every season of Supernatural. And in fact some of the best stuff is after the first five seasons. But it's a long show and there's a lot of stuff that's not as good either. You can stick with the first five for sure but just know that you're going to miss a lot of the best the show has to offer even if you miss some of the least interesting overarching storylines.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

You’re right. Watch all 15 seasons. Good stuff there.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Thanks all, it's good to know I've got both a more manageable initial run of episodes and also lots of material to return to any time I want a little more.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Personally I find the finale of the fifth season to be fine but lacking the finality I'd want in a series finale. The real finale of 15 helps a little, but it was also hindered by covid messing with scheduling so even though it feels more like a proper finale it's also a bit lacking. Sucks that after 15 years they didn't get the chance to wrap it like they really wanted but they made what they could at the time.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Binge up through season 5 and put the rest on a lowkey once or twice a week watch? Not everything needs to be a binge until you finish it.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think once you get through the 102 episodes between the pilot and the season 5 finale, you'll have a good sense of whether you want to watch more.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

For me it felt like it suddenly got good again from season 13-15 but because each season is like 23 episodes or something you’ll get like several eh episodes and then a few good ones here and there. I’d go with the “stop watching it when you stop enjoying it” thing since there’s so much of it. When I decided to finally finish the show after stopping at season 8 I ended up just having it on in the background a lot, and then paid attention when it looked like it was getting interesting.

I think that’s one of the problems with long seasons, sometimes you get more time to do fun one-off episodes like the animated one in season 15(?) which is GREAT and one of my favorites, and then sometimes you just end up with a ton of filler and things just drag on forever!

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-UkWWnb2g

Hm. I'll wait for reviews, but good concept and I love me some Neill.

e: also, I had no idea Edlund wrote for Supernatural. I've been meaning to check that out since I love me some Scooby-Doo (though hate procedurals). That might be enough to push me over the edge.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Edlund wrote some stone cold classic comedy episodes of Supernatural, like, episodes you'd put up against any other show. The French Mistake is amazing, one of my favorite single episodes of any show ever.

feedmyleg posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bl-UkWWnb2g

Hm. I'll wait for reviews, but good concept and I love me some Neill.

Sam Neill as an American county sheriff is almost irresistible.

zoux fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Jun 9, 2021

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

X-O posted:

Personally I find the finale of the fifth season to be fine but lacking the finality I'd want in a series finale.

I feel like part of that was getting renewed for another season. Can't give it a full fledged ending if you've got to bring everyone back next year.

For the record I stopped watching regularly during 6 and at some point stopped all together in 7.

HOLY FUCK
Mar 31, 2007

Cats are terrifying, everyone knows that! 'Cause they're witches! And they've got knives in their feet!

zoux posted:

Edlund wrote some stone cold classic comedy episodes of Supernatural, like, episodes you'd put up against any other show. The French Mistake is amazing, one of my favorite single episodes of any show ever.

I love that episode, that’s definitely up there in my favorites, too. “What the hell is a Jensen Ackles?” :haw:

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Dean grimly we gotta get all three of that crap

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

I think the leviathan season was the weakest as far as main plot goes, but they learned from their mistakes I think in the later seasons.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

bull3964 posted:

I think the leviathan season was the weakest as far as main plot goes, but they learned from their mistakes I think in the later seasons.

was that the season where Sam had that annoying rear end girlfriend subplot? Because that's when I threw in the towel

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

zoux posted:

"Season 6." :jerkbag:

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Aardvark! posted:

was that the season where Sam had that annoying rear end girlfriend subplot? Because that's when I threw in the towel

That was the season immediately afterwards (season 8) and agreed that Amelia loving sucks and so does that entire stupid storyline. Yeah sure Sam is not gonna search for Dean because he hit a dog with his car (and the dog is fine). :jerkbag: But the season 8 finale is also one of the best. Supernatural post season 5: a land of contrasts.

Don't stop watching after season 5, season 6 and 7 and great and imho so are the Leviathans if only for all the dick jokes they get to make.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Season 6-7-8 is probably the worst by a lot. It's like they planned for self contained seasons because they weren't sure they'd keep getting renewed until season 10/11. From there on it improves by a lot as they seemed to have more of an overall plan for the series rather then "poo poo, new enemy to beat this season"

Even with that, there are some pretty great episodes in those seasons, including season 6 having the episode where the "characters" end up in the real world as the "actors" and are confused as poo poo by the whole thing.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

I think the main thing is if you enjoy the meta-plot or the MoW episodes more. I "only" watched through season 10 or 11, I quit not for any real reason, I just didn't pick it back up one year, but I was never like THAT'S IT I'M DONE. I'd agree that the structure that grows out of the yellow-eyed demon into a whole cosmology that becomes the dominant metaplot throughout the series gets pretty loving convoluted, but really, that's only about 5 or so episodes per season. A later season episode typically opens with Sam and Dean in the car disagreeing about some factor of the quest they are on to resolve this season's twist in the metaplot, then they get a call from someone about a Monster of the Week and they go deal with that for the whole episode without ever once bringing up angels or demons or leviathans or concepts of good and evil made into flesh manifest. Then at the very end they'll realize they learned some lesson while fighting the monster of the week that teaches them the importance of honesty or brotherhood, or some problems with This Life, and how that ties into the overall. Then Sam or Dean gets in the car and the other one looks broodingly into the middle distance because he is keeping a secret from the other one that is ironically orthagonal to the lesson they learned and he gets in the car and they drive off.

The strength of the show is the chemistry between Sam/Jared and Dean/Jensen, the decent side characters, the fun action plots and dialogue. It's not groundbreaking, but it's just solid, comforting entertainment anchored by an excellent performances by Ackles and Padalecki is, you know, fine I guess. It doesn't ever fall off a cliff outside of what happens with the metaplot, and really that's more of an issue of having to continually escalate stakes and introduce more and more powerful villains after they've already defeated Satan himself and prevented the literal apocalypse. It's not bad as much as it is convoluted, but the MoWs stay strong throughout (some are hit some are miss, but that's how all TV shows work). "Baby", which is the 222nd episode of the series, is easily one of the best they've ever done, and pretty much every season has at least a couple of all-timers.

So my answer to the guy is: quit whenever you get bored, it's not like the Simpsons where it becomes irredeemably bad after a certain point, it just never really changes that much over 15 seasons.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

pentyne posted:

, including season 6 having the episode where the "characters" end up in the real world as the "actors" and are confused as poo poo by the whole thing.

Probably my favorite episode.

Or the one where Dean loses his courage.

https://youtu.be/ASZkRM1vx54

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

bull3964 posted:

Binge up through season 5 and put the rest on a lowkey once or twice a week watch? Not everything needs to be a binge until you finish it.

This is the best advice.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Rhyno posted:

Knew what that was before I even clicked hahaha

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
It's the best scene and Jensen rules.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Rhyno posted:

drat it, watching this makes me want to start my supernatural rewatch in earnest. even without season 1's original music

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

bull3964 posted:

Yeah, this works. I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation since like, 2013. I'm still on Season 3. It's a very low-priority watch for me that I typically use as a distraction from some boring task I'm in the middle of. Sometimes that's all you want or need out of something.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

It's just one of the things I've been trying to get myself to do.

The evening conversation with myself goes like this

"What to watch, hmm, I have 20 episodes to finish this, 15 to finish that, if I watch x number of the first show a night I can finish the show in......"

It's at that point where I go "What the hell am I doing treating entertainment like a task list to finish?"

Build the queue, watch what I feel like, not worry about schedule or goals (unless it's on a service I'm only having for a limited time.)

Arist posted:

Yeah, this works. I've been watching Star Trek: The Next Generation since like, 2013. I'm still on Season 3. It's a very low-priority watch for me that I typically use as a distraction from some boring task I'm in the middle of. Sometimes that's all you want or need out of something.

Yeah, I started my Star Trek TOS rewatch in 2017 sometime and I'm 2/3rd of the way through season 2 right now. I plan on going through all the series, maybe I'll finish before I die, maybe I won't, but I won't likely care by that point.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Aardvark! posted:

drat it, watching this makes me want to start my supernatural rewatch in earnest. even without season 1's original music

Wait, in Ep1 when the older brother has a box of heavy metal cassettes, did the show originally license Metallica and stuff?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Jack B Nimble posted:

Wait, in Ep1 when the older brother has a box of heavy metal cassettes, did the show originally license Metallica and stuff?

Yeah, all the original music in season 1 is stripped out on all the streaming services due to licensing shenanigans. None of the replacement music is bad it's just incredibly generic and there are a whole bunch of music cues you miss if you watch it on Netflix the first time through.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer

Sirotan posted:

Yeah, all the original music in season 1 is stripped out on all the streaming services due to licensing shenanigans. None of the replacement music is bad it's just incredibly generic and there are a whole bunch of music cues you miss if you watch it on Netflix the first time through.

Do they have the original music on the DVDs?

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SimonChris posted:

Do they have the original music on the DVDs?

Yes.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Look, that Kansas song was really expensive

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Jack B Nimble posted:

They had Metallica in the original pilot but it was changed by the time it aired on TV. But even the stuff that made it to TV got removed from the streaming versions. The DVDs/BDs have the original music as it aired but that's the only place you can get them now. I think it's only like one or two seasons that are missing music on streaming though.

The exclusion of "Hey Man, Nice Shot" from the skinwalker episode should count as a war crime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Ffffff. Am I really gonna buy DVDs in 2021?