Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I’m constantly getting banned everywhere I post, obviously the problem is that these sheep aren’t ready for the truth

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Shaggar posted:

hes been this way for years and the mods have known about it and just let it slide until it got this bad

I'm extremely looking forward to tori buying his way out of yet another ban and going back to being a shithead the second his 30 is up, said no yosposter ever

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Shaggar posted:

hes been this way for years and the mods have known about it and just let it slide until it got this bad

yeah but normally he has a meltdown, eats a prob and calms down

he’s gotten significantly worse over the last month or two

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
i figured the ban+30 was for him spamming people in PMs after he got the 24hr probation

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

since nobody picked it up, let me alley-oop myself:

MononcQc posted:

we call that a Pittsburgh meltdown
one side is raw, the other is burnt, and both are tori

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
anyway how's everyone doing ?

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Chris Knight posted:

a sales guy just sent in a ticket complaining that his single number reach is using precious kilobytes of data for high quality voice instead of lovely cellular codec over the POTS network (because he's answering the call in webex instead of his phone's actual phone app)

other than that, not bad

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Kazinsal posted:

a sales guy just sent in a ticket complaining that his single number reach is using precious kilobytes of data for high quality voice instead of lovely cellular codec over the POTS network (because he's answering the call in webex instead of his phone's actual phone app)

other than that, not bad

g7.11fu-law

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
just learned that apparently a thing olds will do now with a new cancer diagnosis is blame the covid vaccine for giving them cancer

4lokos basilisk
Jul 17, 2008

dioxazine posted:

i don't think the consequences will really hit the general public until the dollar loses its status as reserve currency.. that may be a while off yet, but some of the US's self-inflicted adversaries have already begun phasing out the dollar in trade between each other

i remember reading some stuff about the fall of the roman empire and the thing that stuck with me is that the roman people of the time did not really experience one traumatic event which undeniably signified that the empire fell and now it's over. it was more likely that the process took so long and living in it you probably would not notice unless you really paid attention

i think it might be the same with general public awareness of america's place in the world - definitely the 9-11 attacks will be one notable event that Changed Things but it's probably up to historians to argue this 50 years from now

uhh i guess what i wanted to say is this stuff takes time and who knows whether the eventual reckoning means that the unitet states will tokugawa shogunate itself into a fascist locked down nation or idk

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

just learned that apparently a thing olds will do now with a new cancer diagnosis is blame the covid vaccine for giving them cancer

sure thing nana it definitely wasn't the decades of lead paint, two packs of players unfiltered a day, and weekly box wine shopping spree

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Chris Knight posted:

i’m back in the office now. not sure how frequently i’ll do it, but since i did lab stuff in the before times it’s probably necessary to come in more. i’ve got a lot of no work done during wfh. at least my office mate works weird hours so hopefully we can avoid each other.

the lab (big gov lab) lifted their mask mandate on the 1st for fully vaccinated people and it’s a bit weird. at least they’re recording people’s vaccination status but of course you can still just lie and nobody would call you out on it. so yeah even the big government lab that’s been very careful about COVID has opened’r up, which honestly surprised me a little.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Penisface posted:

uhh i guess what i wanted to say is this stuff takes time and who knows whether the eventual reckoning means that the unitet states will tokugawa shogunate itself into a fascist locked down nation or idk

so what you're saying is that fifty years from now, americans will be running around in lamellar armour and kabuto helms

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Penisface posted:

i remember reading some stuff about the fall of the roman empire and the thing that stuck with me is that the roman people of the time did not really experience one traumatic event which undeniably signified that the empire fell and now it's over. it was more likely that the process took so long and living in it you probably would not notice unless you really paid attention

i think it might be the same with general public awareness of america's place in the world - definitely the 9-11 attacks will be one notable event that Changed Things but it's probably up to historians to argue this 50 years from now

this maybe? https://www.motherjones.com/media/2020/03/how-do-you-know-if-youre-living-through-the-death-of-an-empire/

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Penisface posted:

A lot of our knowledge about Rome comes from the upper classes of Roman society, or from the upper classes who translated that history during their times. It's only been in the modern era that people have done deep dives into things like women's rights and discovered that most women weren't even given names and just took the last name of their father and usually a descriptor like "eldest", "youngest", etc. So it's hard to say what the common person thought about the collapse of the empire.

Roman society was based heavily on exploitation of the working classes with things like slavery, indentured servitude, and all the fun things one can do to exploit workers. I can't imagine if you are in that position you even care to contemplate the empire at large.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The USA has become a fascist police state within our lifetimes. If you haven't noticed you're blind.

It was bad before but now it's completely without rule of law.

E: eh why the gently caress doesn't english have a word for oikeusvaltio I WONDER. I meant that subjects (former citizens) are completely without protection of the law.

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One aspect of roman life that isn't mentioned much is that they loved dicks and put dicks on all sorts of stuff. Dick sculptures, dick paintings, centurion armor with a big ol' hog on it hanging from a chain.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Fortaleza posted:

One aspect of roman life that isn't mentioned much is that they loved dicks and put dicks on all sorts of stuff. Dick sculptures, dick paintings, centurion armor with a big ol' hog on it hanging from a chain.

the sign of a strong and enduring empire. the egyptians stuck around for 6000 years building phalloses all over the place.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Roman soldier statue but the soldier isn't wearing pants and their dick is hanging out.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Fortaleza posted:

A lot of the Roman senators hated Caesar because he'd gently caress dudes, and also gently caress their moms.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
went through the calendar to find the next couple of long weekends to add some vacation days to. so many extra days this year and nowhere to officially go.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Roman society was based heavily on exploitation of the working classes with things like slavery, indentured servitude, and all the fun things one can do to exploit workers. I can't imagine if you are in that position you even care to contemplate the empire at large.
historically the rise and fall of empires is experienced by most people as "the tax collector who shows up to haul a third of our harvest away is wearing a different hat"

AnimeIsTrash posted:

A lot of the Roman senators hated Caesar because he'd gently caress dudes, and also gently caress their moms.
they hated him because he got hosed by dudes

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

FMguru posted:

they hated him because he got hosed by dudes

yeah he was the one gay ancient roman lol

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

plate armoured codpieces were a thing in the late middle ages when soldiers started wearing full plate and having your cock turned into burger by a crossbow bolt was a reality

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

One of the more fun indicators of the roman empire's shrinkage was Garum, a fermented fish sauce that the romans used. You can tell where roman influence waned in western europe because traces of it stop showing up in vases and such because other non-romans wouldn't touch the nasty stuff.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

all the romans i know told me the shrinkage was just because the water was cold in the mediterranean

Kazinsal
Dec 13, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

One of the more fun indicators of the roman empire's shrinkage was Garum, a fermented fish sauce that the romans used. You can tell where roman influence waned in western europe because traces of it stop showing up in vases and such because other non-romans wouldn't touch the nasty stuff.

then the dipshit english rediscovered it in the 19th century and that's how we got worsterchshrlshire sauce

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

Kazinsal posted:

then the dipshit english rediscovered it in the 19th century and that's how we got worsterchshrlshire sauce

the history of sauces really is something else

the collapse of rome did take a long while, true. and it wasn't as if everything fell in a day and was on fire like all the chuds seem to think. you needed decay on the peripheries, decadence in the core, and a lot of other factors that served towards the dissolution of it. that said, there's that strange floating fixation on how rome was "white" despite the geographical location of the empire at large and i've always wondered what the reasoning behind that was

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dioxazine posted:

the history of sauces really is something else

the collapse of rome did take a long while, true. and it wasn't as if everything fell in a day and was on fire like all the chuds seem to think. you needed decay on the peripheries, decadence in the core, and a lot of other factors that served towards the dissolution of it. that said, there's that strange floating fixation on how rome was "white" despite the geographical location of the empire at large and i've always wondered what the reasoning behind that was
have you seen the statues they made of themselves? all blindingly white, even their eyeballs and their hair!

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
the egyptians used to be black and the romans were all white and then they all became what they are today, simple

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the egyptians used to be black and the romans were all white and then they all became what they are today, simple

Romans sure but calling Egyptians simple?

Fortaleza
Feb 21, 2008

Would've been cool to see Rome when it was down to like 20k people in a city built for a million.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

just imagine your covid-empty office scaled up a bit

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

Fortaleza posted:

Would've been cool to see Rome when it was down to like 20k people in a city built for a million.

should have gone last april

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Ansible Adams posted:

Hooooooooly poo poo

SO DEMANDING
Dec 27, 2003

Ansible Adams posted:

:eyepop:

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The USA has become a fascist police state within our lifetimes. If you haven't noticed you're blind.

It was bad before but now it's completely without rule of law.

E: eh why the gently caress doesn't english have a word for oikeusvaltio I WONDER. I meant that subjects (former citizens) are completely without protection of the law.

how would you translate it? google suggests that 'rule of law' is the appropriate phrasing, and that is a phrase that is very commonly used (so it might as well be one word)

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
US has always been like this. we just have cameras on everybodys phone now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Ansible Adams posted:

boom