Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I ran out of arrows....picked up a giant ballista arrow and threw it through a knights skull and then I was set on fire and had my arm hacked off.

A+

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rain dogs
Apr 19, 2020

The pole hammer is a sexy beast

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I was loving destroying people last night 4 on 1

im enjoying it while it lasts and all thats left are veterans who are also v good

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

eonwe posted:

im enjoying it while it lasts and all thats left are veterans who are also v good

yup just like mordhau i'll be playing this right up until i'm only average. hard to go from mowing people down with occasional duels to every fight being a full on duel

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Hamburger Test posted:

Uh, I just got a 50% refund

Yet the game is still listed at the price I paid.

Yeah, they're giving you :10bux: to cover the Epic coupon. They said it in the faq a few days ago.

explosivo posted:

Had a guy in a game last night running around with a knife who was able to effectively stunblock you by kicking you, slashing you, kick, slash, kick, slash, etc. and holy gently caress was it infuriating.
Back up and use your reach, they can only do that poo poo if they're in your face and you can beat them on the initiative game as long as you don't hold block.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Hub Cat posted:

Back up and use your reach, they can only do that poo poo if they're in your face and you can beat them on the initiative game as long as you don't hold block.

I know, but most times I encountered this guy he was able to get in past my reach and overwhelm me before i had a chance to react. Once he started kicking I was basically just panic smashing kick or jab or swing to get out of it. I ran into him later and was able to keep him at bay but it's still infuriating when they get in there or you're just too slow to back up and away from them.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

So now that I've had fun smashing some heads with a polehammer again, I'm amazed that GW hasn't licensed out Warhammer for one of these yet

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 9, 2021

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
So do pretty much all of you use mouse and keyboard then?

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Play posted:

So do pretty much all of you use mouse and keyboard then?

I think most of us probably do, yes. I haven't played with a controller but have a friend who does and honestly he seems just as good as me with the controller so it might just be personal preference at this point. Not like using 3rd person which as we know is only for yellow-bellied cowards.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Hub Cat posted:

So now that I've had fun smashing some heads with a polehammer again, I'm amazed that GW hasn't licensed out Warhammer for one of these yet

I'm really hoping for themed DLCs down the line. Deadliest Warrior for Chiv 1 was hilarious, and Warhams would be a great fit as well.

Also, I'll never ever get tired of suddenly eating poo poo from ballistas and catapults :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/DZfEpQ3.mp4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Perestroika posted:

I'm really hoping for themed DLCs down the line. Deadliest Warrior for Chiv 1 was hilarious, and Warhams would be a great fit as well.

Also, I'll never ever get tired of suddenly eating poo poo from ballistas and catapults :allears:

https://i.imgur.com/DZfEpQ3.mp4

Had someone yesterday that refused to get off the catapult during the 1st stage of Lionspire and would just murder everyone, friend or foe, that was next to the battering ram. It was great watching all the bodies just fly straight up into the air

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

megane posted:

This might be a stupid question, but how do I kill people who are competent at blocking? In Mordhau, they had to time and aim their blocks, so I could mix up directions and feint and eventually they’d miss a block and get hit, but in Chiv all they have to do is look vaguely in my direction and press right click in a huge window. Can’t kick them because they’re not holding block, just tapping it. Feinting just wastes my time, because there’s no concept of “missing a block” here; they can re-block instantly even if they started an attack. Can counter them, but that doesn’t stop them blocking the counter. Usually we just block -> riposte back and forth until one of us gets bored and backs off, or somebody else shows up and third-parties one of us.

I'm using the spear, mostly, and I find feinting between the two varieties of thrust in Slash and Stab helps quite a good bit with opening up an opponent, since you have to be on the ball to correctly guess what's coming at you is a regular slash or an alt. stab or vice-verca. Since the pokes and the swing come out relatively quickly, I can pepper into the opponent and dodge around, not really having to worry about dragging since everything's more or less in a straight line, so I can get them down via attrition so I can go for the most important move: a charged stab to the head, which will basically 2-shot basically anyone.

TL;DR: The spear is a lot of fun! Give it a try! The Polehammer's fun too, but it feels different from the last beta. I don't think it's stopping on people any more?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Let the man at arms dodge forward and carry a fire pot instead of shields torn banner, you cowards!!!!!

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

being even slightly competent at blocking feels a little OP in the main game modes. I'm not even very good, but it's ridiculous how easy it is to block -> alt-swing with a little drag on dudes.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Perestroika posted:

https://i.imgur.com/762SEaB.mp4

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Perestroika posted:

It's even better with some lucky comedic timing with a warcry or something.

"Dodge this you bastaaAAA*THWACK*"

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC
I play on Xbox Series X and in 3rd person

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PaltryClearFugu-mobile.mp4

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

If you play in third person at least you're probably not playing archer (scum) though

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

If you play in third person at least you're probably not playing archer (scum) though

Vanguard Raider has been my favorite so far, my opening tactic is to throw. Either I hit and they are already badly hurt or I miss and people tend to have an instinct of charging you after a miss. They usually don't expect you to have a second primary ready and swinging back at them

Orv
May 4, 2011
Both my favorite and my least favorite thing is getting rushed down by a group of people and frantically riposting and countering and it's so good when you get one or two and such a bummer when you don't get any.

And then you do it again. :yayclod:

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Orv posted:

Both my favorite and my least favorite thing is getting rushed down by a group of people and frantically riposting and countering and it's so good when you get one or two and such a bummer when you don't get any.

And then you do it again. :yayclod:

Stepping in the dead zone between two people rushing you and smacking them with one big side swing feels so good.

Hub Cat
Aug 3, 2011

Trunk Lover

Loving the shovel, there's just something magic and it has a great bonk.

Hub Cat fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Jun 10, 2021

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Hub Cat posted:

Loving the shovel, there's just something magic and it has a great bonk.

This. It has the best hit connection sound in the game. It really feels like you can be super aggressive with it too. I'm grinding for that fancy 22000 cosmetic shovel lol

Fucking Moron
Jan 9, 2009

I love dying in this game. For me that is a new experience in all my time playing games.

Each time I die I am laughing or giving compliments to whoever killed me.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

You lose nothing by disabling chat in this game tho, its not like holdfast where its sometimes funny and interesting. Just completely useless unless you like hearing people complain about lag or be salty about losing

DeadFatDuckFat fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 10, 2021

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Discord invite in OP has expired possible to get a new one?

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Hope Chiv 2 doesn't die before it's released on Steam. Only thing Mordhau has going for it right now is the LOTR maps and there's like two servers.

Cool Post Beg
Mar 6, 2008

DADDY MAGIC

eonwe posted:

I think I was just in a server with you

https://twitter.com/beghead/status/1402805062699732993?s=19

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

lol ya thats me

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
what even knocked me down in that? I couldn't tell

e:

looks like someone threw two handed sword and headshotted me lmao

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
Suffering through using the bow to get to the javelins was 100% worth it, those things are loving hilarious when they connect. Had a few fights that were back and forth melees that I ended by just suddenly chucking it in the enemy's face.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

beggar posted:

Vanguard Raider has been my favorite so far, my opening tactic is to throw. Either I hit and they are already badly hurt or I miss and people tend to have an instinct of charging you after a miss. They usually don't expect you to have a second primary ready and swinging back at them

What's the best weapon you've found for throwing so far? I like throwing my polearms, but I wonder if throwing swords and the like work as well.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

socialsecurity posted:

Discord invite in OP has expired possible to get a new one?

sure thing, I guess server owner never had it set to permanent. Updated OP with permanent one

Orv
May 4, 2011
Vanguard Ambusher has 1,000% clicked with me, playstyle wise. Still gotta do some learning in regards to fighting people with bigass swords and sticks with my little shortsword and dagger but the knives and the special are a ton of fun.

This is a bot kill but god it's so satisfying.

https://i.imgur.com/Kv81zS3.gifv

Always OSHA violations.

https://i.imgur.com/4NqoEIh.gifv

E: Babe Magnet what are you using to capture and upload your stuff? My usual extremely lazy trick of Shadowplay into Screen2Gif is looking like particular poo poo for Chiv 2.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Jun 10, 2021

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

try not to lol when I say this but I'm just capturing my VODs on twitch with ScreenToGif because I don't want to wait for it to download lol

Hugoon Chavez
Nov 4, 2011

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Dog Fat Man Chaser posted:

Suffering through using the bow to get to the javelins was 100% worth it, those things are loving hilarious when they connect. Had a few fights that were back and forth melees that I ended by just suddenly chucking it in the enemy's face.

Hell yeah, It was an annoying grind because archers aren't very fun, but the javelin owns. Run from one fight to the other and make pincushions out of your enemies. Or allies!

If there's something that bothers me in Chiv is just how dumb people are about objectives and picking fights. The horde will leave an objective completely empty to rush in and turn a 3v1 into a 6v1, which also sucks for the people fighting. I feel like I die to allies smacking me in the back and throwing me off almost as much as I die to enemies ganging up on me. At this point I'll actually leave a fight that started as a 1v1 when I see 3 other dudes from my team join.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Babe Magnet posted:

try not to lol when I say this but I'm just capturing my VODs on twitch with ScreenToGif because I don't want to wait for it to download lol

Hey if it fuckin' works. Mine are just getting weirdly compressed for some reason no matter what I do and where I upload 'em.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

These days you don't really need to convert stuff to gif anymore, since many places (including SA) support video files directly, which tend to be more efficient in terms of filesize to quality. Just upload your mp4 directly to imgur or wherever and paste the video link into your post with url tags, like so:

https://i.imgur.com/tKETwHK.mp4

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 08:29 on Jun 10, 2021

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I am very bad and have no idea what I'm doing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Perestroika posted:

These days you don't really need to convert stuff to gif anymore, since many places (including SA) support video files directly, which tend to be more efficient in terms of filesize to quality. Just upload your mp4 directly to imgur or wherever and paste the video link into your post with url tags, like so:

Well... poo poo. Thank you!

E: Now to figure out why imgur is making it for ants.

Orv fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 10, 2021