Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I picked up some thieaudio legacy 3s, thinking I'd audition them for customs since linsoul only charges $80 for a reshell (!!)

well, so far they're comfortable enough that I don't really feel the need to bother, and they sound like... well, imagine the BLON 03. Now imagine that someone spent double the time and money taking that signature and fixing everything about it. The bass bleed is gone, the midrange is up, the treble extends much further.

I can't really imagine buying a closed back headphone for $120 when these exist. And they're not even the only chifi iem this good at the price point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

since linsoul only charges $80 for a reshell (!!)

Please tell me more about this. My 64audio V6 isn’t fitting perfect anymore, and I think they’re probably obsolete. I’m not capable of wearing non-custom IEMs due to my child-sized earholes.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I don't know if they'll reshell other brands, but if you add $80 to the price of just about any of their Thieaudio iems and send them an impression or STL file, they'll send you back a custom. The Legacy 3 is around $120 base, so that puts the custom around $200 which is, imo, nuts.

e: https://www.linsoul.com/products/thieaudio-legacy3 it's $70 now, so i guess $10 even more nuts than I thought it was

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
There's a guy on head-fi that got a custom version of the L4 and it was tuned all wonky, he sent it back and they basically told him that since the earphone "works" they wouldn't fix it or replace it. I suspect the reason their customs are so cheap is because they do a lovely job.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
entirely possible, I've read a few reports of shells being too small as well. or they could be great! i'm enjoying the universals either way.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hey goonz:

So I love my girlfriend. She's great. But she also hates any kinda of music or loud noise at night. For her, it's her wind-down time and she becomes extra-sensitive.

But I like loud music, especially on a Saturday night. I have a LG-PL7 Bluetooth speaker and I think it's great, but I'm looking for something else. And that's where you might be able to help.

On nights such as those Saturdays, it's nice to be doing our own thing, but together. She can play death stranding, and I can "party" and listen to loud music. But the key word here would be together.

So I'm looking for some sub-$100 open back headphones that are super duper open. She can play games, I can listen to music at a high enough volume, and we don't fight. I to be able to hear her, but sitting next to me, she's not too bothered by the sound/music. I'm sure she can tolerate some music noise, no prob. And id like to maintain a fun and bassy-enough sound, not something flat and referencey. I listen to a lot of rock, shoegaze, etc and electronic music, maybe metal. Pls help 🥺

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Pakistani politics posted:

Hey goonz:

So I love my girlfriend. She's great. But she also hates any kinda of music or loud noise at night. For her, it's her wind-down time and she becomes extra-sensitive.

But I like loud music, especially on a Saturday night. I have a LG-PL7 Bluetooth speaker and I think it's great, but I'm looking for something else. And that's where you might be able to help.

On nights such as those Saturdays, it's nice to be doing our own thing, but together. She can play death stranding, and I can "party" and listen to loud music. But the key word here would be together.

So I'm looking for some sub-$100 open back headphones that are super duper open. She can play games, I can listen to music at a high enough volume, and we don't fight. I to be able to hear her, but sitting next to me, she's not too bothered by the sound/music. I'm sure she can tolerate some music noise, no prob. And id like to maintain a fun and bassy-enough sound, not something flat and referencey. I listen to a lot of rock, shoegaze, etc and electronic music, maybe metal. Pls help 🥺

Look up Philips SHP9500 and see whether they are something that would work for you. You should be able to find them at around $80 on Amazon.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks. Is there any reason you'd suggest the those over the 9600s? They look nice

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
I haven't heard the 9600 but apparently they went for a different tuning. the 9500 is a bass-light headphone with nice mids and treble that gets almost but not quite annoying at times. it's very good at positional audio for the price and it's very comfortable. the 9600 is apparently a whole other thing, more of a warm v shape. honestly most people will probably like the 9600 better, and they're more reasonably priced now.

Dr. Fishopolis fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Is the bass...adequate? On the 9500. I am eager to pull this trigger. Thank you for the suggest 😌

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Sure, it exists, it's not like it's missing the bottom half of the spectrum, it just isn't prominent like most things are tuned these days. It's great for orchestral stuff, or games, or even movies to an extent, but if you listen to nothing but EDM and hip hop i'd probably consider something else.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Nah that's cool I'm gonna go with th 500s. The closest I've had to these are the HD595s I had as a teen. Thanks, mysterious headphone friend.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
Oh and I have a turbo dipshit question.

Is this cable ok? I guess I'll have to plug them into my Bluetooth speaker, cuz no hole on phone. And would it work with an inline remote? Maybe I should just get their headphone bundle that comes with all these things for like $40 more. Hmmm

edit: well, got a bunch of cables and car Bluetooth and stuff. Eagerly anticipating!

Wilkins Micawber fucked around with this message at 09:08 on Jun 7, 2021

Keebler
Aug 21, 2000
Hi folks. Since working from home for the last year or so I've picked up the habit of listening to music between meetings throughout the day. I'm getting ready to head back full time and I'd like to continue this. At home I have a pair of Grado SR325s that I love and was considering picking up something like Beyer DT 770 since it's a quiet office environment and they probably don't leak much sound. Having never used closed headphones before and coming from the Grados though I'm wondering I might be a bit disappointed. What kind of differences could I expect? I might be willing to spend an additional ~100 on a different pair or an amp if it would make a difference. I'd be listening through my laptop at my desk.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Anyone that wants the best for not the best money should buy the Softears RSV. It IS the best IEM i've ever heard but quite a bit. Perfect tonality, perfect timbre. It's all that. If I test vs 64Audio's best of the best, RSV wins.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

looking for another
Fallen Rib
I got the 9500s, they sound great, and I can't wait til they burn in.

But they are too big, somehow slipping off my giant head. I've seen all manner of hacks and products to replace the earcups, 3d print something that goes underneath etc. The problem this fixes is the clamp force.

Yet the clamp force is great. I'd say it's one of the big appeals of these cans, right? My trouble, otoh, is that they are too...tall? I have them set to 0 but if there was a -1 for each cup, you bet your balls I'd set it to that. The top headband foam doesn't seem to have size adjustments either, so it looks like I gotta hack something together. Whole thing is making me thing I got some kinda microcephaly situation going.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.
I suggest using Dekoni nuggets then to fill in the space a bit. The adhesive may not work that well with the headband fabric, but you can give it a try.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
There are also headband padding covers that just wrap around the headband and use a zipper or Velcro to stay in place that could work. Tons of them on Amazon for like $10 USD.

trem_two fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 10, 2021

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Burn-in is horseshit, spouted by morons and believed by the type of idiots that put anti-vaxxers to shame.

Actually, that's unfair. Horseshit could potentially be used for fertilizer.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Burn in exists for about 1-5 minutes after a driver with a stiff suspension relaxes to the point it returns to 'neutral' as quickly as possible. This is a not-really-quote from multiple dynamic driver manufactures.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
I accidentally sat on my headphones which destroyed the hinge and somewhat hosed with the internal cable insulation so it's looking like a replacement. I'm also moving some time next month and will probably be leaving my speakers (M-Audio AV-40), so I need something that can be plugged directly into the computer without being way too loud at minimum output. If I have to I suppose I could get a resistor.

Budget - Ideally $150 or less, though I could be convinced to go up to $200
Source - My source is a Creative X-Fi Titanium HD. If that somehow dies the backup source would be the Realtek ALC1220 on my motherboard. If you're wondering why I even have a sound card it was to get microphone input on a previous desktop that had a broken port on the integrated.
Isolation Requirements - For this use case I care more about sound leaking out than in. Open is probably fine as long as it's not audible in the next room over with a closed door.
Preferred Type of Headphone - Circumaural (note: I wear glasses)
Preferred Tonal Balance - Balanced. If it's slightly biased I usually will go for slightly more treble focus than bass.
Past Headphones - Sennheiser HD280 Oh god the clamping was bad with my glasses. I also tended to sweat around the ear pads of this one. I don't remember too much about how these sounded since it's been something like 6 years.

My current set until I sat on it and destroyed the hinge is an Audio-Technica ATH-m40X which was fine in terms of comfort, though the wear of the leatherish coating was bad and I almost would rather it have been the cloth to begin with at that point. My main issue with the set is that I straight up can't plug it directly into my computer since it's too loud even at minimum volume settings. Hell even my phone drove it at a level where I'm usually on the lowest or second lowest volume setting.

Preferred Music - Mostly classical and Broadway

kirtar fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 10, 2021

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

What most people think burn in I think is just your ears adjusting to the new headphones which can take a little bit.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

kirtar posted:

My current set until I sat on it and destroyed the hinge is an Audio-Technica ATH-m40X which was fine in terms of comfort, though the wear of the leatherish coating was bad and I almost would rather it have been the cloth to begin with at that point. My main issue with the set is that I straight up can't plug it directly into my computer since it's too loud even at minimum volume settings. Hell even my phone drove it at a level where I'm usually on the lowest or second lowest volume setting.

Preferred Music - Mostly classical and Broadway

the Sennheiser HD 58X would be perfect imo. That's always my go-to tuning for orchestral music.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future
Curious to hear takes on the new WF-1000XM4.
They are about 30$ over what I can order through my work budget. I could get the older model no problem orbit could wait 6-12 months for these new ones to come down in price or go on sale.
Apparently there's no multipoint in the new ones which really stinks.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

Pegnose Pete posted:

Curious to hear takes on the new WF-1000XM4.
They are about 30$ over what I can order through my work budget. I could get the older model no problem orbit could wait 6-12 months for these new ones to come down in price or go on sale.
Apparently there's no multipoint in the new ones which really stinks.

I'm close to buying them I think. No multipoint is a disappointment for the price. Everything else I've read makes them sound mighty tempting though.

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

I'm definitely getting the WF-1000XM4, but only when I'm out and about more (commuting etc.). By then I think they will go down in price, too.

Pegnose Pete
Apr 27, 2005

the future

ZeeBoi posted:

I'm definitely getting the WF-1000XM4, but only when I'm out and about more (commuting etc.). By then I think they will go down in price, too.

I really need a set of earbuds but I think I will force myself to wait for the price drop as well. Literally just need it to drop 3001 yen in Japan and I can grab them through my work budget.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Hey I got a pair of Tanchjim Tanya IEMs and they are loving great. Midrange lover set, tonality on point. Easy fit an 22 bux! Highly recommended. I'd pick this set over stuff that is 900 bux even.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Hey I got a pair of Tanchjim Tanya IEMs and they are loving great. Midrange lover set, tonality on point. Easy fit an 22 bux! Highly recommended. I'd pick this set over stuff that is 900 bux even.

My set should be in my mailbox any day now, they've cleared customs

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

My set should be in my mailbox any day now, they've cleared customs

Nice!! get a device with a decent amount of power.. they need a bit

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Bought a set of Sony XBA-H3s for shits and/or giggles. Just wanted to try a different implementation of the 16MM LCP driver in my EX1000.

Nice bonus - they actually came with the upgrade MUC-M12SM2 cable. No sound quality difference, of course, but better ergonomics than the stock flat cable. That cable actually sells for more than I paid for the whole set.

These are... pretty good? I ended up removing the nozzle filter completely and replacing it with some mesh grills. There were a lot of complaints of the H3 lacking the clarity of the EX1000 and I think the filters may have been a big part of the problem. There's certainly no bass bloat, which was also a common complaint.

The EX1000s have better bass extension and clarity, the H3s have better high end extension and are a little less harsh. The H3s are little "fuller" sounding, and are minor step back in terms of detail retrieval. I'm guessing this is because of phasing issues with the BA implementation. All that said, it's pretty clear they use the same dynamic driver for the majority of their respective output.

The H3s also have much better isolation, likely due to the smaller, rear-facing vent. The earpieces are absolutely enormous, though.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

redeyes posted:

Nice!! get a device with a decent amount of power.. they need a bit

I actually just got an xDuoo TA-20 that I'm ready to set up this weekend.

grack posted:

Bought a set of Sony XBA-H3s for shits and/or giggles. Just wanted to try a different implementation of the 16MM LCP driver in my EX1000.

You always find the coolest used stuff. Every time I look at eBay I feel like it's just overpriced used stuff shipping from Japan or Hong Kong.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still looking at where I wanna start buying headphones for fun rather than just "Ah poo poo the yoke on these goddamn logitechs broke" and probably leaning towards starting with some Grados cause I'm just really curious about them and an entry planar and messing with those for a while before I drop too much money beyond that.

That said, some of the stuff I may eventually pick up is going to need an amp, probably the planars to start with based on the ones I'm looking at. So given that pretty much all of my sound runs through a computer, I don't have a stereo setup or anything, what would be a good amp and dac, either combo or stack, that'll power any reasonably powerful headphones and last a solid while? I don't need something that'll power 300ohm 85db stuff but it'd be nice to buy something fairly mid-range that'll just take care of me for a while if I don't ever want to dip my toes into "Well this amp sounds better with these headphones" because I am still (probably vainly) trying to avoid falling that far down the rabbit hole.

E: Woops to clarify, thinking like $250-400 for the whole thing but I'm still in that stage of getting into a new hobby where I spend a month researching it before doing anything so I have no idea if that'll do it or not and I'd be happy to go lower.

Orv fucked around with this message at 09:01 on Jun 11, 2021

Passburger
May 4, 2013

Orv posted:

Still looking at where I wanna start buying headphones for fun rather than just "Ah poo poo the yoke on these goddamn logitechs broke" and probably leaning towards starting with some Grados cause I'm just really curious about them and an entry planar and messing with those for a while before I drop too much money beyond that.

That said, some of the stuff I may eventually pick up is going to need an amp, probably the planars to start with based on the ones I'm looking at. So given that pretty much all of my sound runs through a computer, I don't have a stereo setup or anything, what would be a good amp and dac, either combo or stack, that'll power any reasonably powerful headphones and last a solid while? I don't need something that'll power 300ohm 85db stuff but it'd be nice to buy something fairly mid-range that'll just take care of me for a while if I don't ever want to dip my toes into "Well this amp sounds better with these headphones" because I am still (probably vainly) trying to avoid falling that far down the rabbit hole.

E: Woops to clarify, thinking like $250-400 for the whole thing but I'm still in that stage of getting into a new hobby where I spend a month researching it before doing anything so I have no idea if that'll do it or not and I'd be happy to go lower.

Can't go wrong with an O2Odac as far as dac/amp goes, specially if you find a 2nd hand one.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Dumb question time, what's the difference between the O2 ODAC and the SDAC? Seems like the SDAC is a newer revision but I assume there's a reason I'm seeing vastly different price points.

E: Ah yes, very dumb question it turns out.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Jun 11, 2021

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

I actually just got an xDuoo TA-20 that I'm ready to set up this weekend.

You always find the coolest used stuff. Every time I look at eBay I feel like it's just overpriced used stuff shipping from Japan or Hong Kong.

TA-20 is nice, I got one as well.

I decided on the Sony XBA Z5 as my TOTL sony and its Fing amazing. last sony with the 16MM DD in fact. Thing can hit lows with more authority than anything else to no ones surprise.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Finally got the xDuoo amp set up today after I rearranged all the electronics poo poo on my desk to make room. Sounds wonderful.

I also pulled the trigger on the Sony WF-1000XM4, should get here Tuesday.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

trem_two posted:

Finally got the xDuoo amp set up today after I rearranged all the electronics poo poo on my desk to make room. Sounds wonderful.

I also pulled the trigger on the Sony WF-1000XM4, should get here Tuesday.

Good deal! Now im sure you know you need to get on ebay and grab some replacement NOS tubes. :D

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

the Sennheiser HD 58X would be perfect imo. That's always my go-to tuning for orchestral music.

I went ahead and got these since they also seem good at the price point. Turns out that the volume is just about right at the minimum usable volume setting on my computer (it cuts out below 6%). I probably could have gotten away with higher impedence and/or lower sensitivity, but it's still infinitely more usable than what I had before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You might want to check your mixer settings and see if you can turn them down, or your sound card software (if any) to make sure you don’t have some kind of boost for high impedance applied.