Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

BiggerBoat posted:

Not sure what that might be but maybe like an Arizona desert ghost town

It worked for Parasite Eve 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Not after the last time Capcom did one of their horror franchises in space

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Are we gonna let the Leprechaun franchise beat Resident Evil?!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Go all in on the craziness and acknowledge RE's past....by giving us Devil May Cry crossover DLC.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
It'll be bizarre to get to the space station and see two giant stairways in the middle

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Not space, no.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I hope the space station for some reason is yet another Spencer mansion replica

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

site posted:

I hope the space station for some reason is yet another Spencer mansion replica

Oh now I'm getting it.... It IS the mansion, we find out it was launched into space by Wesker!!!

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
I'm sure it'd be a legal and/or cultural minefield, but I've wanted to see a horror game or movie set in one of the Chinese "ghost cities" ever since I first read about them.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd like to see the series take a fresh approach and put things in an entirely different environment somehow. Not sure what that might be but maybe like an Arizona desert ghost town or some sort of mountainous region somewhere in Nepal. Hell, set it in like Key West or something. Or take a page from The Thing and slap it in an Arctic region.

Personally, I like the idea of a Disney style amusement park where all the underground tunnels and poo poo lead to the secret lab and half the zombies are wearing mascot costumes or cheesy tourist clothes and poo poo. A Haunted Mansion with fake scares combined with real ones might be cool. Plus, you have all your key finding and locked areas already built in.

That RE: Resistance game had a like a Victorian London horror theme park as a level that was probably the most interesting environment in the game so I'd vote for that idea. Probably better suited to like Dead Rising though, assuming that franchise comes out of the dumpster anytime soon.

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

space is old hat by now, the next resident evil needs to be set in the one place nobody would think of setting a resident evil: a boat

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Resident Evil but the entire game takes place in Silent Hill

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Face this whole art theft thing head on and set the next one in an outbreak the Louvre with high-res scans of all the public domain stuff.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Doomykins posted:

RE8 Dating Sim/Stealth DLC where you play as Miranda and infiltrate the Winters household. Play homemaker to keep up the deception. You also have to keep Ethan from injuring his hands like that game about the dad not letting his baby kill itself.

Ethan: (is slowly lowering his hand into a blender)

Miranda: Ethan no.

Ethan: (pauses briefly, then keeps on lowering his hand in)

Miranda: Ethan, please, this is the third time this week.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
So I made it to the church in RE0, and I'm rapidly losing patience with the game. I made it past the spiders okay, but then I died trying to save Rebecca when she falls in the pit, because I got stun-locked by Eliminators (the rabid monkeys). Made it through the second time, and I was able to get through the areas with the Hunters and back up to the main area with the Water Key. Died again trying to take out one of the leech zombies; I was using the grenade launcher's flame rounds, but during the first hit, they 'melt' and I think they're invulnerable during the animation, so in launching the rounds in quick successsion, I think I wasted them and got killed. Got the two without issue on the second attempt, though in leaving to return to the main hall, another one popped up, and Rebecca got hit, putting her back into the caution range. Managed to heal her with herbs that were outside, but then she got hurt again by the Plague Crawlers (the insectoid, grasshopper-looking things) in the Animal Room as I was trying to rush to the observatory to insert the three slabs. :argh:

What the hell happened between REMake and RE0? It seems like RE0 was made with the same engine as RE0, but they tweaked things out of wack. Like I don't know if I'm just missing shots or something, but the grenade launcher feels a lot weaker in RE0 than it did in REMake. It takes like two or more grenades to kill the baboon things, but the shotgun can take them out faster.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking I should just download Cheat Engine and bump up my weapon ammo or herbs, because at the rate I'm going, I'm either going to be under-equipped for the endgame, or I'll be spending an hour just trying to ferry everything around. I found magnum ammo, but I don't know where the magnum is yet, so it's still sitting in the main hall.

Could it just be that I'm doing something wrong? I've dispatched most of the regular zombies I've run across, but that's only because with the team system, you don't have a lot of room to maneuever (you do sometimes, but controlling the other character with the right-stick is awkward, and letting the AI follow you seems to leave them open to getting grabbed or attacked). I'm playing on Normal, and I shudder to think what Hard difficulty is like. Should I have played the game on Easy?

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Max Wilco posted:

So I made it to the church in RE0, and I'm rapidly losing patience with the game. I made it past the spiders okay, but then I died trying to save Rebecca when she falls in the pit, because I got stun-locked by Eliminators (the rabid monkeys). Made it through the second time, and I was able to get through the areas with the Hunters and back up to the main area with the Water Key. Died again trying to take out one of the leech zombies; I was using the grenade launcher's flame rounds, but during the first hit, they 'melt' and I think they're invulnerable during the animation, so in launching the rounds in quick successsion, I think I wasted them and got killed. Got the two without issue on the second attempt, though in leaving to return to the main hall, another one popped up, and Rebecca got hit, putting her back into the caution range. Managed to heal her with herbs that were outside, but then she got hurt again by the Plague Crawlers (the insectoid, grasshopper-looking things) in the Animal Room as I was trying to rush to the observatory to insert the three slabs. :argh:

What the hell happened between REMake and RE0? It seems like RE0 was made with the same engine as RE0, but they tweaked things out of wack. Like I don't know if I'm just missing shots or something, but the grenade launcher feels a lot weaker in RE0 than it did in REMake. It takes like two or more grenades to kill the baboon things, but the shotgun can take them out faster.

I'm at a point where I'm thinking I should just download Cheat Engine and bump up my weapon ammo or herbs, because at the rate I'm going, I'm either going to be under-equipped for the endgame, or I'll be spending an hour just trying to ferry everything around. I found magnum ammo, but I don't know where the magnum is yet, so it's still sitting in the main hall.

Could it just be that I'm doing something wrong? I've dispatched most of the regular zombies I've run across, but that's only because with the team system, you don't have a lot of room to maneuever (you do sometimes, but controlling the other character with the right-stick is awkward, and letting the AI follow you seems to leave them open to getting grabbed or attacked). I'm playing on Normal, and I shudder to think what Hard difficulty is like. Should I have played the game on Easy?

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about using a cheat engine. Zero is pretty stingy feeling and that's before you factor in the nonsense inventory system. I'd say you've definitely "experienced" Zero like most people have.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Captain Hygiene posted:

Resident Evil...in space

They can give the protagonist a jet pack, and have it be on a complicated space station that rotates and reconfigures even though every section is the same dull corridor gray.. And make it an Xbox exclusive so nobody will even remember Capcom's shame.

WonkyBob
Jan 1, 2013

Holy shit, you own a skirt?!

Max Wilco posted:

You're just passed the section where I gave up (the leech room). I felt it just wasn't fun to play, the two character system is clunky (the amount of healing items would be ok for one but not for both), the lack of item box is annoying, and most of the story has been contradicted since. Initially it was being developed for the N64 in late '99/early '00 and was shifted to GCN which probably explains why it doesn't have the same feel that REmake did.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

BiggerBoat posted:

I'd like to see the series take a fresh approach and put things in an entirely different environment somehow. Not sure what that might be but maybe like an Arizona desert ghost town or some sort of mountainous region somewhere in Nepal. Hell, set it in like Key West or something. Or take a page from The Thing and slap it in an Arctic region.
I mean, if you want an Arctic region, then Code Veronica would be a natural thing to reimagine, just set the entire game there instead of just the second half. Technically not Arctic, but then neither was The Thing.

Electromax posted:

Face this whole art theft thing head on

and set the next one in an outbreak the Louvre with high-res scans of all the public domain stuff.
Paris would be a pretty neat location to visit, even if Capcom seems intent on not featuring specific real world locations for their games.

I was considering the idea that a bioterror attack could be carried out deliberately by some art thieves to cover up a heist, but considering the connection between art and hidden evil in the series, I think a heist in the Louvre accidentally opening up a secret part of Umbrella's Paris labs would feel better. With two decades of uncontrolled outbreak turned into a new equilibrium, it'd be pretty easy to avoid making it just another lab. Hell, switch things up an have a progression like:

- Introductory area: Paris Catacombs, where the player character is being a tourist before the outbreak separates them from their loved ones and pushes them into the lab.
- Middle area: Lost Laboratory, where the player character is just trying to survive and get out. Also a logical location for a bunch of firepower you'd not usually find in Paris. Lots of bioluminescence.
- Final area: The Louvre, where the player character rescues other survivors and tries to prevent King Nemesis from unleashing his hordes upon Paris.
- Final final area: Fighting King Nemesis on the Eiffel Tower.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Now I'm picturing Nemesis running around with a beret, carrying a loaf of french bread instead of a rocket launcher and screaming "LE STARRSSSSSSSS"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Medullah posted:

Now I'm picturing Nemesis running around with a beret, carrying a loaf of french bread instead of a rocket launcher and screaming "LE STARRSSSSSSSS"
Mimesis

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

site posted:

You should check out the re seamless hd project discord, they've been doing work on re1 lately and might have some stuff you're interested in

As for one liners i thought "I'll take my chances" hit pretty well

any screenshots of the re1 hd project? they dont update their website and i need to see it :negative:

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
everything i've seen is just posted on their discord as the people involved do stuff. there's no release date yet since they're waiting on gemini to add custom texture support for the pc version, a feature which itself has no release date because gemini bounces between like 5 different projects at a whim

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

A Buttery Pastry posted:

Paris would be a pretty neat location to visit, even if Capcom seems intent on not featuring specific real world locations for their games.
Onimusha 3 is right there, bud!

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Akuma posted:

Onimusha 3 is right there, bud!
I meant the RE games.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

site posted:

everything i've seen is just posted on their discord as the people involved do stuff. there's no release date yet since they're waiting on gemini to add custom texture support for the pc version, a feature which itself has no release date because gemini bounces between like 5 different projects at a whim

I joined that discord as well, thanks for the pointer! Grabbed their HD versions of RE2 and 3 to look at. As for RE1, there are the odd screenshots but nothing much. Most of what I've seen was texture work for the models.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Thundercracker posted:

They can give the protagonist a jet pack, and have it be on a complicated space station that rotates and reconfigures even though every section is the same dull corridor gray.. And make it an Xbox exclusive so nobody will even remember Capcom's shame.

I owned this game, twice

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
What game is this?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Coffee And Pie posted:

What game is this?

Dino Crisis 3. It is massively massively worse than that description and honestly any video review can convey because it controls that badly

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

On the plus side, What Happened covered it last month.

I was completely unaware the complete setting shift was due to 9/11.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Just unlocked the lightsabre (although no way am I doing another playthrough for a while) and I actually enjoyed the process of unlocking it. Turning the locations into an order of operations puzzles like that really clicked for me.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

I certainly wouldn't feel bad about using a cheat engine. Zero is pretty stingy feeling and that's before you factor in the nonsense inventory system. I'd say you've definitely "experienced" Zero like most people have.

I'm going to try and see if I can finish it without resorting to cheats, but my hopes aren't high. If anything, as soon as I boot up the game here in a while, I'll probably come to the realization that I don't have enough shotgun ammo to beat the Giant Bat and cave then.

WonkyBob posted:

You're just passed the section where I gave up (the leech room). I felt it just wasn't fun to play, the two character system is clunky (the amount of healing items would be ok for one but not for both), the lack of item box is annoying, and most of the story has been contradicted since. Initially it was being developed for the N64 in late '99/early '00 and was shifted to GCN which probably explains why it doesn't have the same feel that REmake did.

I kept thinking, "Am I being unfair to the game?", but then I was watching part of Carcinogen's no-damage run, and he points out in his commentary that enemies like the Hunters and Leech Zombies aren't coded the best. The Hunters apparently have a bug where they can have 0 health (:v:), but unless they take damage during a certain animation or something they won't die. I also watched part of a run by Bawkbasoup, and while I only saw the first twenty minutes of it or so, he didn't really seem keen on the game either.

It's weird, because the contemporary reviews held the game in pretty high regard (8s and 9s from various outlets). Reviews for the HD version are more in the 'average' category

I sort of wonder if it would have done better as an N64 title, provided they could have fit it on a cart.

BisbyWorl posted:

On the plus side, What Happened covered it last month.

I was completely unaware the complete setting shift was due to 9/11.

I haven't watched that video yet, but I watched the Mega Man X7 video, and Dino Crisis 3 was brought up along with, as both games were done by Capcom Production Studio 3.

As it turns out, RE0 was also done by Production Studio 3, so maybe that's why RE0 is the way it is.

Captain Hygiene posted:

Resident Evil...in space

I'm trying to remember if there were any other RE clones that were set in space. Someone mentioned Parasite Eve 2, but I can't think of any others.

Max Wilco fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 10, 2021

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late
I feel like game review scores have gotten maybe slightly better about it but Zero did come out on the Gamecube firmly in the era of the 7-10 only scale (unless you were mocking an awful game). The nearly 20 years of mostly better Resident Evils since then fundamentally shove it down the rankings. It is no longer the REmake's not as good follow up, its bottom tier on the entire main series.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Max Wilco posted:

I'm trying to remember if there were any other RE clones that were set in space. Someone mentioned Parasite Eve 2, but I can't think of any others.

There’s a pretty bad game called Martian Gothic Unification that takes place on a Mars surface station and eventually the ancient underground city of ancient Martians. It has the character switching that RE0 does, except between 3 characters, but the big twist is that if any of the characters ever get too close to each it’s game over.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Kibayasu posted:

There’s a pretty bad game called Martian Gothic Unification that takes place on a Mars surface station and eventually the ancient underground city of ancient Martians. It has the character switching that RE0 does, except between 3 characters, but the big twist is that if any of the characters ever get too close to each it’s game over.

Oh poo poo, I completely forgot about Martian Gothic Unification. I've actually thought about playing that. I know it's got some issues (I remember supergreatfriend was streaming not too long, and he ran into a bug during the ending sequence where it kept soft-locking), but I wanted to give it a shot.

-

Been meaning to ask: is my pseudo-blogging of my progress through the RE games getting annoying? I realize everyone's talking about RE8, and I'm on an entirely different page, so I was worried maybe it was derailing the conversation.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Max Wilco posted:

Been meaning to ask: is my pseudo-blogging of my progress through the RE games getting annoying? I realize everyone's talking about RE8, and I'm on an entirely different page, so I was worried maybe it was derailing the conversation.

Not at all, it's always good to keep discussion going about stuff other than Big New Thing.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Was working on a big full-game map of RE3 based on the routes I used for platinum, but thought it would be cool to add the RE2 maps as well and compare to PS1 versions. Haven't done much with RE2 yet but the basic layout for RE3 is here for the interested (the route map will explode out overlapping areas better, this is "aligned" version).

Want to go through and add more shaded areas for in-room obstacles like desks etc. (see donut shop) but that's time-consuming.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

Not at all, it's always good to keep discussion going about stuff other than Big New Thing.

Okay, I just wanted to ask just in case.

-

Well the Giant Bat boss was a great, big bag of garbage. Died like 3-5 times trying to kill. I had enough shotgun rounds thankfully, but the issue was trying to actually hit the boss once the little (regular-sized?) bats come out, because you lock on to the nearest enemy every time you hit L to re-aim, and they'll smack into you an . Eventually I got an attempt where I was able to keep blasting the bats out of the air, while also hitting the boss until it died. One of the things Carcinogen mentioned in that video was that the sub-machine gun is optimal for that boss, and that it really should be in the game normally, rather than having it be an unlockable from beating the game.

The library/lab afterwards wasn't too bad. Sending stuff between Rebecca and Billy gets kind of tedious though, and I know I must have screwed up somehow, because by the time I got to the cable car, I only had one flame grenade shot left. Luckily, that and one Molotov were enough to take out the leech zombie without getting hit.

It's kind of neat how you revisit some of the underground lab locations from Resident Evil 2, though it's weird that Enrico shows up and goes, 'Gotta go check out that mansion' leaves, and Rebecca's like "I never saw him again.". The game also just kind of goes, 'Yeah you don't need to look in there' if you try to enter the doors from RE2 that lead to the save room and whatever else. Then you fight the proto-Tyrant, who's not hard to deal with, but still takes an entire clip of magnum ammo and one-or-two grenade rounds. It's almost like the game decides to kill the boss based on how little ammo you have left (the centipede boss who grabs Rebecca is the same, where you seemingly have to burn most of your ammo to kill it). It's also cool that the elevator takes you up to where the train derails, so you can go to the main hall and pick up items you left (which for me was some extra magnum rounds and not much else). Overall, the factory is pretty short, but it wasn't too bad.

I got Billy back and did the crate puzzle. It seems like I'm in the home stretch now. According to the walkthrough, there's another fight with the proto-tyrant coming up, and then the leech queen. Dunno if there's going to be anymore grenade launcher or magnum ammo to be found. Otherwise, I might be fighting them all with the shotgun and pistol.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Max Wilco posted:

Okay, I just wanted to ask just in case.

-

Well the Giant Bat boss was a great, big bag of garbage. Died like 3-5 times trying to kill. I had enough shotgun rounds thankfully, but the issue was trying to actually hit the boss once the little (regular-sized?) bats come out, because you lock on to the nearest enemy every time you hit L to re-aim, and they'll smack into you an . Eventually I got an attempt where I was able to keep blasting the bats out of the air, while also hitting the boss until it died. One of the things Carcinogen mentioned in that video was that the sub-machine gun is optimal for that boss, and that it really should be in the game normally, rather than having it be an unlockable from beating the game.

The library/lab afterwards wasn't too bad. Sending stuff between Rebecca and Billy gets kind of tedious though, and I know I must have screwed up somehow, because by the time I got to the cable car, I only had one flame grenade shot left. Luckily, that and one Molotov were enough to take out the leech zombie without getting hit.

It's kind of neat how you revisit some of the underground lab locations from Resident Evil 2, though it's weird that Enrico shows up and goes, 'Gotta go check out that mansion' leaves, and Rebecca's like "I never saw him again.". The game also just kind of goes, 'Yeah you don't need to look in there' if you try to enter the doors from RE2 that lead to the save room and whatever else. Then you fight the proto-Tyrant, who's not hard to deal with, but still takes an entire clip of magnum ammo and one-or-two grenade rounds. It's almost like the game decides to kill the boss based on how little ammo you have left (the centipede boss who grabs Rebecca is the same, where you seemingly have to burn most of your ammo to kill it). It's also cool that the elevator takes you up to where the train derails, so you can go to the main hall and pick up items you left (which for me was some extra magnum rounds and not much else). Overall, the factory is pretty short, but it wasn't too bad.

I got Billy back and did the crate puzzle. It seems like I'm in the home stretch now. According to the walkthrough, there's another fight with the proto-tyrant coming up, and then the leech queen. Dunno if there's going to be anymore grenade launcher or magnum ammo to be found. Otherwise, I might be fighting them all with the shotgun and pistol.

Yeah, you're really close to the end. If your experience is anything like mine, you'll be fine - if I recall correctly the game drips enough ammo to you in the last stretch, although I definitely just ran from several enemies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shiroc posted:

I feel like game review scores have gotten maybe slightly better about it but Zero did come out on the Gamecube firmly in the era of the 7-10 only scale (unless you were mocking an awful game). The nearly 20 years of mostly better Resident Evils since then fundamentally shove it down the rankings. It is no longer the REmake's not as good follow up, its bottom tier on the entire main series.

As someone who grew up with EGM and Gamepro it really shocked me to learn how fake they were. There was a podcast about the Death of EGM that blew my mind (episode 1 of a Life Well Wasted). SUSHI-X WASN'T REAL???