Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NumptyScrub
Aug 22, 2004

damn it I think the mirrors broken >˙.(

Bofast posted:

Turns out the Bene Gesserit were actually just breeding programmers skilled enough to finally make the grand vision of Chris Roberts come true. It took a bit longer than expected, but you can't rush these things.

Worm was will not be a lie!

Edit: unintended snipe, have a catte
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeadlyPessimisticAndeancockoftherock-mobile.mp4

NumptyScrub fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jun 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/e5PT6if.gifv

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Imagined posted:

Is there a handy phrase to describe the disinclination to believe something is a scam simply based on the ever-increasing audaciousness and obviousness of the scam? Like, "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam it would be the biggest scam in the history of the videogames industry, and what are the odds of that?" "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam they wouldn't be so bad at making it not look like a scam."? I keep thinking of "sunk cost" and "Occam's razor" but those aren't quite it. What do you call the tendency to believe a lie simply because it's such a big and obvious lie that you can't believe someone would actually have the balls to lie about it? Besides "The Republican Party"

George Carlin had a great bit about how if somebody lies to you and you find out pretty quick, you're mad at the person who lied.

However if someone lies to you and you fall for the lie for years, and then someone tells you its a lie, you get mad at the person who told you the truth instead.

text editor posted:

isn't that plain old cognitive dissonance?

Spatial posted:

I've heard it called The Big Lie.

Cognitive dissonance is what you feel when you hold multiple contradictory opinions, not really the same

It can be a form of cognitive dissonance, actually, it just requires looking a few steps further. The dissonance is this:

"I am a smart person"
"a smart person would not fall for an obvious scam"
"you are telling me that I fell for a scam"

These things contradict. The proper conclusion is "I am not as smart as I thought" or "Even smart people can fall for scams", but the typical human psychology answer would be "You're making that up, I didn't fall for poo poo"

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Squadron 2042?

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Looks like they are starting over.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/funding-goals

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Beexoffel posted:

Looks like they are starting over.

As if they started the first time.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Wow, finally something in this farce is moving from Tier 0.

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

time to restart the clock i guess

Ffycchi
Jun 4, 2014

Sigh...challenge accepted...shitty photoshop incoming.

Dwesa posted:

Reading about doomsday cults is quite informative when it comes to understanding SC whales. Just replace end of the world date with release date.

Anyway, SC is the most beautiful game ever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgUl1ZJfNHE

Someone create a greasemonkey script to replace release date with rapture on spectrum.

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

??? A bug with their website?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Heads will roll at Turbulent

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire

Dark Off posted:

time to restart the clock i guess

Campaign start: 09/06/2021
:captainpop:

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
Why wouldn't they keep doing what they're doing? People are paying them. The oil is still there. Slurp slurp slurp.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021
I'm going to assume this is just a bug, but I'm really, really hoping they're going to go "we never raised any money in Ba Sing Se" and just reset the donations to 0, then claim they have no idea why people are talking about "the most successful Kickstarter ever," "the most crowdfunded game in history," etc.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Zaphod42 posted:

George Carlin had a great bit about how if somebody lies to you and you find out pretty quick, you're mad at the person who lied.

However if someone lies to you and you fall for the lie for years, and then someone tells you its a lie, you get mad at the person who told you the truth instead.

It can be a form of cognitive dissonance, actually, it just requires looking a few steps further. The dissonance is this:

"I am a smart person"
"a smart person would not fall for an obvious scam"
"you are telling me that I fell for a scam"

These things contradict. The proper conclusion is "I am not as smart as I thought" or "Even smart people can fall for scams", but the typical human psychology answer would be "You're making that up, I didn't fall for poo poo"

Yup, everybody is affected by cognitive dissonance here and there. It's what you do to try to reduce the dissonance what truly categorizes you.

So, the handy phrase to describe the disinclination to believe SC is a scam is "they're suckers".

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

They stored all dates as five-digit integers, just like how Chris always back in the day because it helped with performance, and now it's been ten years since he first whispered the code for the tracker. So obviously, all these data points in the future (year >1) don't count yet.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Imagined posted:

Is there a handy phrase to describe the disinclination to believe something is a scam simply based on the ever-increasing audaciousness and obviousness of the scam? Like, "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam it would be the biggest scam in the history of the videogames industry, and what are the odds of that?" "It can't be a scam, because if it were a scam they wouldn't be so bad at making it not look like a scam."? I keep thinking of "sunk cost" and "Occam's razor" but those aren't quite it. What do you call the tendency to believe a lie simply because it's such a big and obvious lie that you can't believe someone would actually have the balls to lie about it? Besides "The Republican Party"

For example Enron had nearly 30k employees when it folded.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Deskeletonized posted:

I'm going to assume this is just a bug, but I'm really, really hoping they're going to go "we never raised any money in Ba Sing Se" and just reset the donations to 0, then claim they have no idea why people are talking about "the most successful Kickstarter ever," "the most crowdfunded game in history," etc.

Bug or no they should have a vote in the concierge forum to determine if the community wants them to just run with this mistakeTM and reset stretchgoals clock

Beexoffel
Oct 4, 2015

Herald of the Stimpire
Oh, it's back, 371 million dollarinos United States American.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Kosumo posted:

Image hiring him to water your indoor plants while you where away.

“chris where is all my furniture!!“
“well i had to sell it to buy water for your plants, like real good water, not the one that falls from the sky for free.“
“you did what??“
“i promised you to take care of your plants, so i made sure i got water directly from the northpole. that aint cheap.“
“the plants are completely dead also!!“
“yeah but that is a different thing, you see the water came too late, but i do absolve myself of that, so there is no problem here.“

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Kosumo posted:

Image hiring him to water your indoor plants while you where away.

He'd just hire some guy he sort of knows from a friend of a friend of his coke dealer to water your plants for him. But he'd give them the wrong key, so they wouldn't be able to get in and your plants would all die. Also, halfway through your vacation you'd get a text message from him saying that he found a good deal on amazing fertilizer and bought it for your plants, so if you could send him another couple hundred bucks to cover that expense, that'd be great.

When you came home and found out how badly it all went, he'd duck your phone calls until you finally caught up with him in person. "The fertilizer?", he'd mumble. "It's, uh, the fertilizer is -- er -- it's been ordered and should be arriving in, um, a week. I can, uh, expedite the shipping for a few hundred more, if you want, and they'll throw in some free plants, um, uh better plants, too." This cycle would repeat as long as you let it.

Trilobite fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jun 9, 2021

Mr.Tophat
Apr 7, 2007

You clearly don't understand joke development :justpost:
$371,685,184

gently caress

gently caress

Jonny Shiloh
Mar 7, 2019
You 'orrible little man

Mr.Tophat posted:

$371,685,184

gently caress

gently caress

And I ask myself, just how much of that has found its way into the pockets of Mr Christopher Roberts, auteur, and his extended family/business chums?

It's a lovely shady lowdown dirty business alright, this game development whale oil fracking business.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Honestly I don't believe that number in itself. The whole funding tracker seems off, the numbers make no sense. They don't have that many active players or accounts. They don't have the social media numbers either, no word of mouth that's positive.

The whole Internet is making fun of em, too.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

Trilobite posted:

He'd just hire some guy he sort of knows from a friend of a friend of his coke dealer to water your plants for him. But he'd give them the wrong key, so they wouldn't be able to get in and your plants would all die. Also, halfway through your vacation you'd get a text message from him saying that he found a good deal on amazing fertilizer and bought it for your plants, so if you could send him another couple hundred bucks to cover that expense, that'd be great.

When you came home and found out how badly it all went, he'd duck your phone calls until you finally caught up with him in person. "The fertilizer?", he'd mumble. "It's, uh, the fertilizer is -- er -- it's been ordered and should be arriving in, um, a week. I can, uh, expedite the shipping for a few hundred more, if you want, and they'll throw in some free plants, um, uh better plants, too." This cycle would repeat as long as you let it.

"That guy told me he was going to do it, so I absolve myself of that."

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

L. Ron Hoover posted:

Thanks bro. People in the thread were literally just talking about a random text file filling gigs of data logging every single thing that happened on the server. Maybe they fixed that particular issue, but I trust CIG software about as much as a free nude desktop assistant.

I had 1 GB of log files in that folder personally. The people who are finding 20 GB of log files there are the people who are literally playing 10 hours a day, every day.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Honestly I don't believe that number in itself. The whole funding tracker seems off, the numbers make no sense. They don't have that many active players or accounts. They don't have the social media numbers either, no word of mouth that's positive.

The whole Internet is making fun of em, too.

I have this idea that the game is mostly being propped up by Germans.

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

no_recall posted:

(...)
Star Citizen continues to lack rewards for players for doing stuff. Instead, the reward comes from the cash shop as an instant dopamine injection of spaceship through spending money. A slow burn survival / explorer game like subnautica rewards its players with making smart choices during moment to moment gameplay, exploration, base building, spending and accumulating resources where the game strikes a good balance. I would love Elite to go down a similar vein, but its potentially limited by the vision of Frontier's management. At this point Elite doesn't seem like it knows what it wants to be aside to continue to exist as a space-trader / exploration game with some combat at the side. While Star Citizen continues to be a cult following with a sandbox to evaluate the aftermath of bad spending habits.

That's all for this months trip report. Stay tuned!

Sadly Elite can't do what Subnautica did, since Subnautica is fully handcrafted (even though it doesn't seem so) and the progress is pretty clearly laid out to guide you naturally. Elite can only be space-trader / exploration game with combat aside, because that's what its procgen nature is about.

WTF are those avatars? Is SC played only by corporate slaves now (no insult intended at people working at corporation, but the theme is so obvious...)?

Sanya Juutilainen fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jun 10, 2021

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

WTF are those avatars? Is SC played only by corporate slaves now (no insult intended at people working at corporation, but the theme is so obvious...)?

preeeeeetty sure those are photoshopped

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

Sarsapariller posted:

Subnautica is amazing, one of the best games I've played in the last 5 years. But I don't know if it's a sleeper, it's pretty widely acclaimed at this point

I spent most of last weekend building a thing in the sequel game...

Totally pointless, but strangely rewarding. Like playing with Lego, only with oxygen starvation mechanics. And exploding-suicide-fish swimming at you when you least expect it.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Trilobite
Aug 15, 2001

Imagined posted:

"That guy told me he was going to do it, so I absolve myself of that."

When you complained about it later, a bunch of terrible people would angrily explain to you that they gave Chris money to water their plants while they were away, and while those plants are now dead, that's NORMAL, because Chris naturally needed to build a plant-watering company from the ground up before he could start watering any plants. They'd bore you to death with screeds about how it's still a great service and a great value and how some day Chris will make sure that they have the best, most hydrated indoor plants in the whole world.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!
I know Sandi is probably trolling everyone, but do people actually have those name plaques in board meetings? Do actual board meetings with billionaires resemble a 70’s sitcom about corporate life?

Honest question.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

JugbandDude posted:

I know Sandi is probably trolling everyone, but do people actually have those name plaques in board meetings? Do actual board meetings with billionaires resemble a 70’s sitcom about corporate life?

Honest question.

Yes. One of my tasks at a former job was facilitating and taking minutes for meetings like that and one of the things involved was making and setting out the little name plaques. It's actually kind of useful when the meetings are only a few times a year and the people involved don't interact with each other outside of those meetings, or when there are guests or experts invited from outside the organization that not everyone knows.

Imagined fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Jun 10, 2021

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

I think by "board member" they mean her acting is so wooden that she is like a wooden board, ergo, she is a member of the board.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

JugbandDude posted:

Honest question.

I can say i have attended several board meetings of company's bigger than CIG, there were never any plaques maybe we don't do It cool in Australia?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

DigitalPenny posted:

I can say i have attended several board meetings of company's bigger than CIG, there were never any plaques maybe we don't do It cool in Australia?

I believe most boards are quite familiar with each other, considering they drive the direction of the company it would be wise to get to know each other

But yeah especially since everything is done via zoom right now, why have a plaque for a virtual meeting?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Kosumo posted:

I think by "board member" they mean her acting is so wooden that she is like a wooden board, ergo, she is a member of the board.

It also might have raised a few questions if she went with Bored Member. Ahh who am I kidding no one would have asked a god damned thing in fact it would have been celebrated as an homage to Bored Gamer

Hey thread are there any Sandi/Pinocchio mashups? She is notoriously wooden and I think she even once told a lie maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Id love to hear what a is discussed at a CIG board meeting. The company fails to meet it's goals constantly and by huge margins. Probably just patting each other's backs as funding keeps coming in despite all of that.