Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

italian quid posted:

It's really loving stupid that 21 is considered late for getting to F1. It adds nothing and if anything just is another contributing factor to the racing being subpar because the kids don't build up wheel to wheel experience in the lower categories

Yeah. In the best era (80-91) it was extremely rare for drivers to be under 23-24 years old. Schumacher was 22 when he started but he was a revelation at the time. Thackwell was 19 and that was seen as an extreme anomaly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

NtotheTC posted:

sounds like a good time to remind everyone that are damon was 32 when he joined F1

And he's a champion of the world, unlike Minimüm Von Crappen

MustardFacial
Jun 20, 2011
George Russel's
Official Something Awful Account
Lifelong Tory Voter

Zeta Acosta posted:

New Ferrari CEO: Benedetto Vigna.

"a 52-year-old who comes from outside the Maranello fold and will join on September 1 from STMicroelectronics, where he is currently president of its Analog, MEMS (Micro-electromechanical Systems) and Sensors Group, the company’s largest and most profitable operating business in 2020."

Good luck Benedetto everyone ITT is cheering for your sucess. !

The STM32 is a good microcontroller.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Zeta Acosta posted:

New Ferrari CEO: Benedetto Vigna.

"a 52-year-old who comes from outside the Maranello fold and will join on September 1 from STMicroelectronics, where he is currently president of its Analog, MEMS (Micro-electromechanical Systems) and Sensors Group, the company’s largest and most profitable operating business in 2020."

Good luck Benedetto everyone ITT is cheering for your sucess. !

The timg version of that picture made me think it was a screenshot someone had taken from Archer. And now I'm disappointed it wasn't.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

Oh and because I apparently had a good post in the thread recently I've come to ruin that again.

Edit: I couldn't even figure out which team was missing until I looked up the teams..... That's how terrible Williams is (Sorry Rebus)

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari
Couldn't even get through three of those, Jesus christ

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
i think we need some posts to help get those unfunny reddit pictures off the page. i'll start:

Ferrari own. They loving own!!!!!

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

POCKET CHOMP posted:

i think we need some posts to help get those unfunny reddit pictures off the page. i'll start:

I'd prefer unfunny garbage to insane ranting about a red midfield team.

TheMightyBoops
Nov 1, 2016

POCKET CHOMP posted:

Also Ocon’s been doing respectably against and sometimes better than Alonso.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Lou Takki posted:

Ferrari owns, gently caress off you wanker

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Lou Takki posted:

But enough about BMS Scuderia-Italia

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

harperdc posted:

But enough about BMS Scuderia-Italia

Were they even midfield? Closest to midfield red Italian team would probably be Alfa in the early 80s

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
Another thing I've been wondering lately is if there's ever been a an F1 equivalent to Aprilia in MotoGP where they absolutely had enough money to give the resources to make the project be relatively successful but just outright refused to put the money in. Jaguar under Ford is probably the closest example I can think of.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari

POCKET CHOMP posted:

The only reddit post i read is people wrecking their lifes chasing polyamory

also where is Pearnicious? i hope she-him didnt stop posting because me made fun of the reddit movie posters.

Zeta Acosta fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Jun 10, 2021

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

italian quid posted:

Another thing I've been wondering lately is if there's ever been a an F1 equivalent to Aprilia in MotoGP where they absolutely had enough money to give the resources to make the project be relatively successful but just outright refused to put the money in. Jaguar under Ford is probably the closest example I can think of.

Jaguar/Ford is one good answer, the only other one I could think of would be engine programs -- things like Porsche's engine program for Arrows/Footwork, Yamaha (if they really wanted to succeed they would have allowed Brian Hart to do more with those engines), maybe the Lamborghini project (owned by Chrysler), and then the utterly failed poo poo like Subaru-Coloni.

I think the F1 equivalent to "don't want to invest" (which I think covers Aprilia as well as Suzuki in terms of not wanting to make four bikes) is "short schedules," so Honda coming in and out of F1, Renault bouncing in and out too, a couple others who expect things to be good in 3 years and get impatient.

TheBacon
Feb 8, 2012

#essereFerrari

Toyota? But I guess I don’t really know how much money they lit on fire

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

TheBacon posted:

I was going to say Toyota as well but I think at one stage they were the biggest spenders of all the teams. If they weren't they certainly had spent a huge amount regardless.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

italian quid posted:

It's really loving stupid that 21 is considered late for getting to F1. It adds nothing and if anything just is another contributing factor to the racing being subpar because the kids don't build up wheel to wheel experience in the lower categories

Yeah F1 had a run of good young drivers and it broke everyone's brains so that now rookies are way too young and end up being poo poo for a couple of years before getting fired.

Rhopunzel
Jan 6, 2006

Stroll together, win together
hmm ferrari are bad, lance stroll owns, thats all

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

harperdc posted:

Jaguar/Ford is one good answer, the only other one I could think of would be engine programs -- things like Porsche's engine program for Arrows/Footwork, Yamaha (if they really wanted to succeed they would have allowed Brian Hart to do more with those engines), maybe the Lamborghini project (owned by Chrysler), and then the utterly failed poo poo like Subaru-Coloni.

I think the F1 equivalent to "don't want to invest" (which I think covers Aprilia as well as Suzuki in terms of not wanting to make four bikes) is "short schedules," so Honda coming in and out of F1, Renault bouncing in and out too, a couple others who expect things to be good in 3 years and get impatient.

Porsche Arrows fits the bill pretty well.

Suzuki in MotoGP feels pretty close to Honda in F1 where they're happy winning once a decade or so and then loving off. Suzuki is probably feeling the two bike limitation pretty hard right now given they don't really have an answer for qualifying.

TheBacon posted:

To be clear I don't just mean they blew a ton of money and sucked, I mean Aprilia's owner were the largest European bike/scooter manufacturer by some margin and refused to give Aprilia's MotoGP project any sort of budget for years to the point where KTM came in and using a concept everyone thought wasn't going to work was able to leapfrog Aprilia and is arguably considered the 3rd best bike on the grid right now

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Are Aprilia a big brand? I see way more Japanese scooters and the bikes I rarely see.

PoopSok
Jun 5, 2005

Just lemme eatcha, one time
Ay yi yiiii

Custard Undies posted:

I was going to say Toyota as well but I think at one stage they were the biggest spenders of all the teams. If they weren't they certainly had spent a huge amount regardless.

I remember that being the running joke, they outspent the field and just couldn't get it together.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's an interesting parallel with Haas coming in and presuming to have a superior way of doing business that would automatically succeed, except with Toyota it was spending money inefficiently and Haas it's not spending money inefficiently

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mini asked me why Haas and Williams were not in F2 and I had no answer for her tbh.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
The obvious one is that even Haas were 9s a lap quicker than the best F2 times last time out, Williams closer to 12s faster.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

Getting to F2 takes talent

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
She meant why don’t they give up the F1 cars and enter as F2 teams instead if they can’t afford to keep up with the midfield.

Custard Undies
Jan 7, 2006

#essereFerrari

learnincurve posted:

She meant why don’t they give up the F1 cars and enter as F2 teams instead if they can’t afford to keep up with the midfield.

No one cares for the F2 teams. Most people couldn't name them. Although I guess most people couldn't name the F1 teams either.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
It's prestige, and no doubt if they brought their general level of competence to a spec series they'd fail to be dominant there too.

I'll be interested to see how the cost and wind tunnel time caps affect how backmarkers do their thing. Haas are clearly already tanking this season to get the maximum available in 2022 as well as using what they have now on next year's car. Williams still have enough ego to actually try this season.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

learnincurve posted:

Ain't Mini at McLaren? They used to be back there not too long ago...

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Mini is switching to public services for 2 years while the coronavirus lockdowns settle down :)

She’s got a potential apprenticeship at Mercedes Benz (the car devision) that they will pay for, but that will be dependent on colleges being functional enough for her to make the grades, so she’s going to tread water and accumulate point as a back up.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

track day bro! posted:

Are Aprilia a big brand? I see way more Japanese scooters and the bikes I rarely see.
Aprilia is Piaggio group which includes Vespa and Guzzi and Gilera and maybe some others. All those brands sell pretty well in Europe but are kinda rare in the rest of the world. A few years back the president or prime minister of France was caught having an affair with an actress by riding on the back of a Piaggio to a hotel.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

learnincurve posted:

Well they probably get more sponsor money and exposure running in the back of F1 than they would get running in the front of F2... They probably even get more screen time being in F1 as they get lapped by Lewis and Max.

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Mercedes do these weekly breakdown videos after every race and this week's is them throwing Valtteri under the bus fully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcH6xj5n1Dc

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

net work error posted:

Mercedes do these weekly breakdown videos after every race and this week's is them throwing Valtteri under the bus fully.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcH6xj5n1Dc

Man they're not at all gentle with the shift in tone from 'Valtteri's mistakes are of his own making, he chose his lovely setup, it's on him' to 'Lewis rarely makes mistakes and really it's our fault for not making the car idiot proof enough, we need to reflect on our shortcomings as engineers.'

At this rate he's going to be getting his P45 before 2021 is out.

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016

Theophany posted:

Man they're not at all gentle with the shift in tone from 'Valtteri's mistakes are of his own making, he chose his lovely setup, it's on him' to 'Lewis rarely makes mistakes and really it's our fault for not making the car idiot proof enough, we need to reflect on our shortcomings as engineers.'

At this rate he's going to be getting his P45 before 2021 is out.

Bottas legit sucks and Lewis is one of the best drivers ever so I buy his story that Bottas sucks and Lewis is one of the best drivers ever.

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
hope hamilton keeps having meltdowns this year while the team explodes around him

net work error
Feb 26, 2011

Zeta Acosta posted:

hope hamilton keeps having meltdowns this year while the team explodes around him

Going to have to disagree with you there

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Anyone but Max

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Zeta Acosta posted:

This, but also, Max bins it several times and Checo wins it all.