Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

"According to Wikipedia" there is a black hole that emits zionist hawking radiation where my brain should have been

I really should just shut the fuck up and stop posting forever
College Slice
Personally I feel "trash" can be used affectionally. And is more a wink wink term used interchangeably "Well this isn't high art but I'm having fun"; "schlock" I think is a similar sort of term, or "so bad its good"; though in our case I think its more "this thing seems mostly or partly bad but there's parts I like if I have 2-3 beers first."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

There's some itneresting historical context to Jouran but yeah it's not exactly weaving a tapestry of tone. It feels a lot like a mid-2000s OVA that got lost in time.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
then there is ex-arm, which has transcended such lowly concepts as good and bad.

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Appoda posted:

Lol at everyone seeing the word "trash" and their eyes going red. I should have known better considering this is exactly how the conversation started, but that was in the context of, you know, anime criticism and the discussion thereof. But don't worry, no one dogpiles here, and everyone is so media-savvy that they've never seen a show they don't like or found themselves disappointed by the end of it. :rolleyes:

Trashiness was not the subject. The subject was interesting shows that didn't meet expectations and are worthy of discussion on an internet forum.

going to be honest i don't remember whatever the other posts were about this but i wanted to let you know you sound like a giant dweeb

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Darth Walrus posted:

The tournament isn't really about who wins or loses, though. It's about Setsu learning about other styles and philosophies of music in his quest to discover an identity for himself. Like, yeah, his parents care about how he places, but they're pretty clearly in the wrong for it.

Does he learn about others? He's out hanging out in the hall not listening to most of the performances. If anything, the tournament is there to develop the other characters in the club, where the arcs feel like they're put on turbo speed. They basically get one ep each to set up their big issues and then resolve it in the very same ep, so the emotional climaxes don't feel very organic either.

quote:

Your other complaint is a little odd too, given that the show has been laser-focused on style and technique, and has taken pains to show how its cast of performers look and sound completely different even when playing the same piece of music. It's just that most of the precise mechanics and terminology behind it are treated as assumed knowledge, without lengthy exposition for the audience - someone will just use a particular technique, and the show will expect us to put two and two together about why their music sounds different.

Laser focused how? What does the show say about things like fingerings? Strumming? Tempo? It's all in vague metaphorical terms. There's one scene early on where the club tries learning how to play with sheet music, and Setsu tells them he can't read. And then they skip it. So did anyone learn how to read? How do you learn how to play the shamisen? Ah, we'll just throw in some scenes of them sucking and then skip ahead to somehow having them get good enough to get third in a tournament in like a month.

There's no justification why some play style is valued or unique. "Don't overuse the twang"? Okay, but why? There's no explanation for why the judges value what they judge. The idol group messes up and places fourth because they're cute for Pete's sake.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

We did learn shamisens are very expensive. Real rich people instrument

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Davincie posted:

We did learn shamisens are very expensive. Real rich people instrument

This.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i learned that camo looks loving ugly on a shamisen, thank god the guy who does that is definitely losing

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

then there is ex-arm, which has transcended such lowly concepts as good and bad.

It's the "Ride To Hell: Retribution" of anime. :black101:

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i would call ride to hell pretty solidly bad outside of the bit where the mc has group sex that is immediately followed with a woman giving very dry plot exposition and then saying "alright. now that that guy's gone, it's time for us to have group lesbian sex. everyone ready" as the screen fades to black

Nitrousoxide
May 30, 2011

do not buy a oneplus phone

I can't believe the Super Cub has taken another life. Truly a devious machine.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Buy a super cub or your friends will die.

Doodles
Apr 14, 2001

Nitrousoxide posted:

I can't believe the Super Cub has taken another life. Truly a devious machine.

No, that was the Moulton trying to catch up.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Admittedly sometimes an anime can look like it's going to tick off all the boxes for being total trash and end up being great, like Vivy. All the blurbs advertising Vivy used words like "Idol" and "Make other happy with singing!" and had an image of some Hatsune Miku knockoff doing a sexy pose. I immediately threw it in the garbage can without a second thought and it seems like a lot of other people did too. Then after the first double episode comes out you start hearing whispers from people that watched that it was totally brutal and had evil robots and explosions and kung-fu. And all of a sudden it's one of my favorite shows in years and everyone else seems to be picking it up after previously ignoring it. I don't know whether it was just bad advertising or if they were doing a thing like Madoka where they kinda pretended they were making another generic magical girl show before biting off Mami's head.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

miku doing sexy poses and generic magical girl shows both rule tho

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Vivy was advertised as being by the re:zero writer and the PVs showed the massacre scenes from episode 1, i don't think they were hiding what it was at all

studio mujahideen
May 3, 2005

the "explosions and kung fu" are not exactly what I would say are the things that are great about vivy

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Hell, the drone camera strikes in Vivy are some of the most brutal violence I've seen in a while in anime. Just a little camera coming out of the sky at bullet-like speeds out of nowhere to crush someone's skull. And there's always more of them

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i'd say that just comes down to where you cut your attention during a show's promotion. there's definitely stuff each season that doesn't get past just a key visual and summary because i feel i have a grasp on it, but because i follow anime news more generally it's easy to stumble into PVs for stuff and get a better handle on whether i may have misjudged. same goes for places that promote their preview content like Sakugablog.

i usually don't have grand expectations for most shows in a season, so in Vivy's case it was just having a mildly interesting premise and being an original story that appealed to me. i also saw some SB tweets about the unique credit they were giving to the staff in charge of those HD closeups but honestly thought it looked a bit ugly lol. still watched it and grew to enjoy it for the fun and flashy SF it is. though for reference, Vivy's PV wasn't coy about what you'll see in the story, so you get bits of killer robot future, the building exploding, Vivy's robo-gore etc alongside that ever-present OP and some little bits of being an idol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n2L_9glM2WU

efb on the pv content, but Vivy being a hollywood robot adventure through time is definitely the appeal i think. robots musing on the essence of humanity and other meta concepts don't easily move the needle for me anymore. so i didn't find that a super strong or affecting part of Vivy even if it can pull a heartstring or two at times (Sunrise Incident, Yugo's past).

dogsicle fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Jun 10, 2021

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

yeah i suppose if you only saw the key art and a tagline you might get the wrong impression. i tend to go out of my way to check out promo materials for anime originals

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
how was madoka pretending it was generic before then it opened with the freaky inu curry witch animations in ep 1...

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
What animes are like From Dusk Til Dawn levels of deceptive where they are completely one thing for half/a good chunk and then turn into something else entirely?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Varinn posted:

the "explosions and kung fu" are not exactly what I would say are the things that are great about vivy
I haven't seen this show but anything that combines idols, time travel, explosions and kung-fu has to be at least a little badass, doesn't it?

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Wark Say posted:

I haven't seen this show but anything that combines idols, time travel, explosions and kung-fu has to be at least a little badass, doesn't it?

I mean, you aren't wrong and it is, but I'm not sure that's exactly how I would sell the show to someone…

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

The United States posted:

What animes are like From Dusk Til Dawn levels of deceptive where they are completely one thing for half/a good chunk and then turn into something else entirely?

SamFlam is the only actual example that comes to mind but even that's toku larping->actual toku plot

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Usagi Drop. :gonk:

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, you aren't wrong and it is, but I'm not sure that's exactly how I would sell the show to someone…

It's definitely worth mentioning. Vivy isn't exactly an action show, but when the action kicks off it's amazing. Every hit has real weight and impact. The fight choreography is great. It does the cool thing where the action syncs up with the soundtrack.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Super Cub this week was way to on the nose about the dangers of biking during winter :(

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Gamers' first episode goes out of its way to look like a cliche shonen show about a male student joining the highschool videogame club with a cast of super-awesome gamer student members with mysterious and unbelieveable backgrounds like amnesiac prodigies and mercenary parents.

And then takes a hard right turn at the end of the episode with the protagonist saying "nah, no thanks" to joining :allears:.

(The show's actually a comedy of misconceptions, with an outrageous set of misunderstandings working at cross purposes among multiple people. It gets to "Charlie at the conspiracy board" levels of complex by the halfway mark trying to track how five people have all fundamentally misunderstood something about each of the others and it's amazing.)

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Attack on Titan. :v:

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

I thought the issue with Usagi Drop only show up in the back half of the manga.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

School-Live, though the pretending only lasts for one episode.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

blood-c

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together

Higurashi Gou attempted this recently, but I think it struggled because it tried to have it's cake and eat it eith the remake that is also sequel concept

It might be a thing in VNs, but I don't know much about the original marketing for say Muv-luv, on how much if at all they were trying to keep the switch up there on the downlow.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM

Level E pulls a good switcheroo after a few episodes

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Island, but the anime adaption wasn't very good and skipped a LOT trying to cram it all into a single season. Read the VN instead if you can.

Yak of Wrath posted:

It might be a thing in VNs, but I don't know much about the original marketing for say Muv-luv, on how much if at all they were trying to keep the switch up there on the downlow.
The marketing was 100% just "a romcom by the Kimi ga Nozomu Eien" guys, and everybody expected a swerve into drama territory, but Unlimited was completely unexpected.

Tamba fucked around with this message at 12:14 on Jun 10, 2021

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

I suppose Scrapped Princess almost fits the bill? Been a long drat time since I've seen it but I recall enjoying it and the twist as well. I'm a sucker for that sort of twist though, I'd ask what other series do that but that'd just spoil those series :v:

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Narutaru/Shadow Star

Forgall
Oct 16, 2012

by Azathoth

Sakurazuka posted:

Narutaru/Shadow Star
Yeah that's the one, nothing tops that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Exia
Feb 12, 2014
Magia Record S2 starts sometime this summer