Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

wuggles posted:

What in Sonic 06 is more conceptually interesting than Adventure 2?

Adventure 2 has the dark and light stories, the chao garden, permanent additions to the lore (for better or for worse)...

I like how the 3 hedgehog stories interweave across time, the side quests with the sonic cosplayer, and the sheer audacity to have sonic abruptly gunned down from behind in a field. Other than introducing Shadow I don’t think Ad 2’s story really has anything of note going for it. Also eggman’s dumb dragon radar sunnies rule.

Don’t get me wrong, the execution fails at basically every level but there are interesting ideas there, not all good, but interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

whats the sonic of books?

you may not answer with sonic comic books or novelizations

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Caved on the FFVII remake remaster and I'm not sure what the PS4 version looked like but this version is beautiful and the music rules so far. Very excited to dig in more tomorrow.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Anybody playing Backbone? The art looks fantastic.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Relax Or DIE posted:

Ender's Game

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

Roach Warehouse posted:

Sonic 06 is more interesting in concept than Sonic Adventure 2. That’s my Hedgehog Hot Take(TM).

This is baffling to me

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Sonic 06 is the best sonic game

All the others are ok platformers at best whereas Sonic 06 is something special (it's special because it's a spectacular failure in every possible way but still)

Healbot
Jul 7, 2006

very very very fucjable
very vywr very

I will not stand for this Genesis Sonic erasure.

Red Alert 2 Yuris Revenge
May 8, 2006

"My brain is amazing! It's full of wrinkles, and... Uh... Wait... What am I trying to say?"

pretty good answer honestly

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

I mean all joking aside I totally agree with them. SA2 is like...pretty closely in the vein of a Saturday Morning Cartoon? There's a lot of showey setpieces but not a ton of substance to what little story there is (Eggman Bad). The wildest thing that happens is Tails meets the President, and Sonic 06 is like "Yeah well what if Sonic hosed the President?" It really looks at all of the things that people like about the Sonic comics and extended universe and tries to incorporate it all in a way that reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. Sure, it's a horrible game and even if they pulled it off perfectly it still probably wouldn't have been great, but it's way more ambitious from a storytelling perspective than SA2 was

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

wuggles posted:

What in Sonic 06 is more conceptually interesting than Adventure 2?

Adventure 2 has the dark and light stories, the chao garden, permanent additions to the lore (for better or for worse)...

Sonic 06 has a chaos emerald that only exists in a perfect time loop

Also Silver gets kicked in the head by Shadow and honestly he deserves it

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
SA2 features a world police invading and murdering all residents of a space colony so that the world police could take it for themselves and keep everything hidden away while the actual research that went on there was largely based around, among other things, new lifeforms, the study of powerful lifeforms, and the attempt to scientifically recreate the powerful mystical technology created by the ancient civilizations of old, with heavy emphasis on paying attention to the Master Emerald shrine of Angel Island and its connection to the Chaos Emeralds as well as the creature Chaos itself and attempting to create various beings based on Chaos. Considering that the World Police is largely made up of robots that are powered by this very technology, it is safe to say their global conspiracy to murder the Robotnik family and cover up their research and obfuscate everything behind several floors of prison cells is enough to show that they got their money's worth out of the whole thing.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
In other words

Watch this, it is a proclick, v good video

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Waffleman_ posted:

Mission 6 of AC4 was very fun, love to kick the invincible fleet's poo poo in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vrss4Xx5Lu8

I don't know if you saw but I remembered the wrong number, Mission 8 (aka "they said the title of the game") was what did it for me.

12 is the one for a lot of people though

Ometeotl
Feb 13, 2012

It's MISSEL! Or SISSLE!
I confused myself...

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

It really looks at all of the things that people like about the Sonic comics and extended universe and tries to incorporate it all in a way that reminds me of Kingdom Hearts. Sure, it's a horrible game and even if they pulled it off perfectly it still probably wouldn't have been great, but it's way more ambitious from a storytelling perspective than SA2 was

Did you play a different game because 06 has like 10 Sonic characters in it and none of the fun and ridiculousness of the comics. There is zero ambition in its story, it's all stock cliches from hero stories.

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

Ometeotl posted:

Did you play a different game because 06 has like 10 Sonic characters in it and none of the fun and ridiculousness of the comics. There is zero ambition in its story, it's all stock cliches from hero stories.

Listen I'm not saying it's good I'm saying that in comparison to every other Sonic game up to that point it's the most they've ever attempted to go for. Everything you said would also apply to SA1/2 with SA1 basically not even having a story outside of the Chaos backstory. Like yeah it's not 13 Sentinels but they at least tried something more than "got to find chaos emeralds"

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

holy gently caress lmao

https://twitter.com/ResetEraNT/status/1399798249293324294?s=20

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
Women rapping

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
canada

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've been mostly chugging along in Nocturne without too much issue but every so often I hit a boss where I'm like. Oh yeah. This game has a reputation as hard for a reason.

I think a lot of that is that it debuted in an era when it wasn't uncommon for JRPGs to have 0 difficult bosses outside of postgame, and if you go in looking for a constantly challenging experience you'll be disappointed, but every so often it just owns me in a spectacular way

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

cheetah7071 posted:

I've been mostly chugging along in Nocturne without too much issue but every so often I hit a boss where I'm like. Oh yeah. This game has a reputation as hard for a reason.

I think a lot of that is that it debuted in an era when it wasn't uncommon for JRPGs to have 0 difficult bosses outside of postgame, and if you go in looking for a constantly challenging experience you'll be disappointed, but every so often it just owns me in a spectacular way

Nocturne is definitely one of those games where you need to do a trial run of a boss to figure out how you need to configure your team.

This has been mentioned a bunch in the SMT thread but it's funny how Matador is the well-known gamer wall of Nocturne, but everyone seems to forget about Hell Biker which is not that much farther into the game but is a bazillion times harder

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I didn't really have that much trouble with either of them, funnily enough. For me it was Raidou was the early menorah-content boss who caused giant headaches

Sweetgrass
Jan 13, 2008

this is bullshit, you can't keep toejam & earl down like this

RazzleDazzleHour
Mar 31, 2016

A few other people mentioned having issued with Raidou but I managed to just sort of overpower him with Fog Breath and Dark Might critting constantly

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:

Sweetgrass posted:

this is bullshit, you can't keep toejam & earl down like this

The toejam guy absolutely deserves to be deplatformed

Blue Labrador
Feb 17, 2011

Is toejam the skinny red one or the big yellow one?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

hes the one thats a racist caricature

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I tried playing it in that Sega Genesis Classics Collection thing but I couldn't figure out what to do and played Alien Soldier instead

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Okay which Ace Combat game should I play

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

The Grumbles posted:

Okay which Ace Combat game should I play

7, and also Project Wingman

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!

Help Im Alive posted:

I tried playing it in that Sega Genesis Classics Collection thing but I couldn't figure out what to do and played Alien Soldier instead

"Couldnt figure out what to do" was my main T+E problem too! Glad I'm not the only one

wuggles
Jul 12, 2017

regardless the one I remember most fondly is Sonic Heroes, for some reason

RazzleDazzleHour posted:

"Yeah well what if Sonic hosed the President?"

Obama chuckled. “You mean the Chaos Emeralds?”

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

sonic adventure 2 is so good

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Mods???

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Relax Or DIE posted:

Idk sonic to me is something that has so many fans but it looks so bad that I cant comprehend why it's so popular despite not having much experience with it myself so I'm gonna say Discworld

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

fridge corn posted:

Idk sonic to me is something that has so many fans but it looks so bad that I cant comprehend why it's so popular despite not having much experience with it myself so I'm gonna say Discworld

Sonic and Pratchett are both fervent anti-capitalists so it checks out.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Fridge corn firing shots at both Discworld and Deus Ex in the same hour :blastu:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

The Sonic of books would be the Divergent or Percy Jackson books.

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I would say Animorphs is the Sonic of books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

These are the sonic of books.

Because all sonics 1-3+K and Mania are the best Sonics and these are pretty awesome books.