Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Popete posted:

Id love to hear what a is discussed at a CIG board meeting. The company fails to meet it's goals constantly and by huge margins. Probably just patting each other's backs as funding keeps coming in despite all of that.

With its focus on extreme ~fidelity~, there's so much work to be done for SC that if anybody gets stuck, they can just find something else to work on.

So the meetings are probably a bunch of people reporting that they made progress on non-critical systems, ending with everybody feeling like a lot was accomplished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Play posted:

I don't really understand why he didn't just make a better Freelancer. Just take the things in that game, bring them into the modern era, add some features and just in general make the game better and more fun with more content. This absolute mess they've come up with is ridiculous when that would've probably been funded nearly as much and actually be doable.

He's fuckin loaded for life with a cult following. The gently caress does he care

DOMDOM
Apr 28, 2007

Fun Shoe

Thoatse posted:

She is notoriously wooden and I think she even once told a lie maybe?

Deutschland uber alles

Sanya Juutilainen
Jun 19, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sarsapariller posted:

preeeeeetty sure those are photoshopped

Okay, I was a bit worried there (about Star Citizen? Surely I jest!)

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Blue On Blue posted:

I believe most boards are quite familiar with each other, considering they drive the direction of the company it would be wise to get to know each other

But yeah especially since everything is done via zoom right now, why have a plaque for a virtual meeting?

There business cards and email signatures would include thier board positions, ie) director, chairman, non executive director. Most people in the company have an idea who is running it, also they often want to be approachable so try avoid being excessively in your face about it.

Also board member is not actually a position, it's like putting admin team member, instead of receptionist.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Blue On Blue posted:

I believe most boards are quite familiar with each other, considering they drive the direction of the company it would be wise to get to know each other

But yeah especially since everything is done via zoom right now, why have a plaque for a virtual meeting?
I had to imagine Sandi ordering some poor well-shaven girl to make her a plaque for zoom meeting, because that's what the real bestest VP of marketing and board member crazy nepotist strangler would do.

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Who's the CMO now?

no_recall
Aug 17, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

DigitalPenny posted:

Also board member is not actually a position, it's like putting admin team member, instead of receptionist.

People sit on company boards to keep the business running in the right direction, and stakeholders happy.

Of course, in the case of Star Citizen though..

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

WTF are those avatars? Is SC played only by corporate slaves now (no insult intended at people working at corporation, but the theme is so obvious...)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Epstein
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Israel_III
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeffrey_Skilling

Such a joke. Who in their right mind would post a "Going to the board meeting, I am totally a director, heehee!" message on Twitter?

Does Strangli have no self-awareness?

skeletors_condom fucked around with this message at 09:00 on Jun 10, 2021

Lammasu
May 8, 2019

lawful Good Monster
The entire Sandi situation is one of the weirdest things in a company dominated by weird things. She's MIA for a year then suddenly starts posting about Star Citizen again. Like the only thing that would make sense is that she had a baby but why keep quite about that?

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019
What video is she talking about, the one about wtf is going on with sq404 that they needed to remake b-roll because it was not up to their standards?

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao
https://i.imgur.com/oECsxcQ.mp4

Dark Off
Aug 14, 2015

Dark Off posted:

time to restart the clock i guess

daily restart of the project is kinda a thing that has never been done before I guess

Dark Off fucked around with this message at 10:32 on Jun 10, 2021

FishMcCool
Apr 9, 2021

lolcats are still funny
Fallen Rib

DigitalPenny posted:

There business cards and email signatures would include thier board positions, ie) director, chairman, non executive director. Most people in the company have an idea who is running it, also they often want to be approachable so try avoid being excessively in your face about it.

Or a sports team lineup where every player's position is listed as "Team Member".

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

Jonny Shiloh posted:

And I ask myself, just how much of that has found its way into the pockets of Mr Christopher Roberts, auteur, and his extended family/business chums?

It's a lovely shady lowdown dirty business alright, this game development whale oil fracking business.

When the lawsuits come after it all falls apart the one thing I'm so interested in finding out is how much he's paying himself and how many pay checks he collects

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

All the idiot nerds that keep throwing money at this deserve it, that one thumbfaced conman gets rich is just a unfortunate side effect.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

FishMcCool posted:

Or a sports team lineup where every player's position is listed as "Team Member".

:five:

I'm on the team ! I'm on the team ! Look my shirt says I'm on the team!

(Position second reserve on the bench)

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Sandweed posted:

All the idiot nerds that keep throwing money at this deserve it, that one thumbfaced conman gets rich is just a unfortunate side effect.

Cults and similar scams (like Scientology) can entrap even intelligent people. I don't think anyone deserves to be exploited in this fashion.

Mr Scumbag
Jun 6, 2007

You're a fucking cocksucker, Jonathan

Dark Off posted:

daily restart of the project is kinda a thing that has never been done before I guess

It's basically written right there: If you keep a payin', the scope keeps a creepin'.

Obviously, this is true, but it's weird to see them essentially just post that.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Lammasu posted:

The entire Sandi situation is one of the weirdest things in a company dominated by weird things. She's MIA for a year then suddenly starts posting about Star Citizen again. Like the only thing that would make sense is that she had a baby but why keep quite about that?

Boards normally meet 4 times a year at a minimum... Why are we short so many tweets?

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

Sandi discovered in a board meeting for cool cats

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Who's the CMO now?

What, the Chief Mocapping Officer? Surely that would still have to be Chris.

commando in tophat posted:

What video is she talking about, the one about wtf is going on with sq404 that they needed to remake b-roll because it was not up to their standards?

They tweeted a while back about making a video if they got enough likes on that tweet, or something
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1395383107126059010

commando in tophat
Sep 5, 2019

Bofast posted:

They tweeted a while back about making a video if they got enough likes on that tweet, or something
https://twitter.com/SandiGardiner/status/1395383107126059010

Sweet, I can't wait for a roadmap for a roadmap to this video

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Control is free on the epic games store this week.

Bootcha
Nov 13, 2012

Truly, the pinnacle of goaltending
Grimey Drawer

no_recall posted:

Who's the CMO now?

Justin Chen, formerly of FunCom.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
huh

https://www.loeb.com/en/experience/financing-for-video-game-developer

didn't realize loeb & loeb were in on this too

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

Is that the 46 million from the first round of investing?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Strangler 42 posted:

Is that the 46 million from the first round of investing?
yup

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT

so is it safe to assume the investors hired smart people to do the due dilligence on the deal and there is no chance they were being mislead about the state of Star Citizen, Squadron 42, and Cloud Imperium as a whole?

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

What does this even mean? Why does she have a box with her name on it? Why is it notable that a company is having a board meeting? I'm confused

lmao I love this one especially since you won't notice at all the first time you see it that it's not a kitten

It is a bit weird how they have managed to get actual legit investors onboard, although it's plausible that they also just represent whale fanboys. Other options: these people know nothing about video games and are just easily impressed, or they realize that CIG's ability to drain their own community of massive amounts of funding is relatively unique.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

NumptyScrub posted:

Worm was will not be a lie!

Edit: unintended snipe, have a catte
https://thumbs.gfycat.com/DeadlyPessimisticAndeancockoftherock-mobile.mp4

if this video were longer, would this sandworm just be stuck in place, wobbling itself in a little circle? At first it looks like it's going to attack or do... something, but once the camera pans out it seems like the sandworm is just going to go for another wiggle loop, like a little spinning hotdog flopping out of the sand.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Play posted:

It is a bit weird how they have managed to get actual legit investors onboard, although it's plausible that they also just represent whale fanboys. Other options: these people know nothing about video games and are just easily impressed, or they realize that CIG's ability to drain their own community of massive amounts of funding is relatively unique.

I'm going back to the well that is "this started as a game development project, but now has other utility for rich people looking for ways to play with their money." Whether that's laundering, abusing tax havens and tax credits, or simply issuing good ol' fashioned kickbacks to underwriters, the upper echelons of this company are up to some shady-rear end stuff. The project is clearly a grift, yeah, but people fail to grasp how much money hundreds of millions of dollars actually is; SotA or Dreamworld were and are game-sized scams, with relatively low stakes and sums. This has become something more. It's the only explanation that makes sense.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Khanstant posted:

if this video were longer, would this sandworm just be stuck in place, wobbling itself in a little circle? At first it looks like it's going to attack or do... something, but once the camera pans out it seems like the sandworm is just going to go for another wiggle loop, like a little spinning hotdog flopping out of the sand.

In the full video of this, the totally live, real and emergent gameplay glitched and reset and ran again in exactly the same way :lol:
It was 100% pre canned.
Then poo poo canned.

Deskeletonized
Mar 24, 2021

Khanstant posted:

Star Citizen: a little spinning hotdog flopping out of the sand

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Play posted:

rich people don't pay taxes so they can kick millions or tens of millions of dollars at whatever pet project they want

I think calder is worth like $6b

bbchops
Jul 26, 2001

Ho ho ho! I'll have the same again!
Nap Ghost
and his son, Keith

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I'm seeing more and more linkedin profiles from senior or lead positions that moved on from CIG around Q1 2021

some of the peeps are at new start ups, like Gunzilla Games in DE or traditional places like Ubisoft

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

TheAgent posted:

I'm seeing more and more linkedin profiles from senior or lead positions that moved on from CIG around Q1 2021

some of the peeps are at new start ups, like Gunzilla Games in DE or traditional places like Ubisoft

That's normal, please pledge more

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Daztek posted:

That's normal, please pledge more

In fact, pledge double what you normally would because we need to hire a bunch of new people

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skeletors_condom
Jul 21, 2017

Play posted:

Or their investment provide them with certain benefits that were not revealed by CIG (even the faithful agree that Roberts lied about the investment being for SQ42 marketing) and are not obvious if you don't have even minimal exposure to this kind of stuff.

For example, it's very much possible that the Calders have a special class of shares that would give them 10% of all annual JPEG sales until SQ404 is released.

Although it's quiet possible that Calders are just loving around ("let's see if this works, if not I can still wipe my rear end with $100 dollar bills until the end of time").