Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
Rambus RDRAM. Man intel had some great hardware bets in early 2000 between Itanium, Rambus, and Netburst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

President Beep
Apr 30, 2009

i have to have a car because otherwise i cant drive around the country solving mysteries while being doggedly pursued by federal marshals for a crime i did not commit (9/11)

Powerful Two-Hander posted:

that's Greenwich naval college in the background what the gently caress

checks out

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Hed posted:

Rambus RDRAM. Man intel had some great hardware bets in early 2000 between Itanium, Rambus, and Netburst.

love all their projected marketing charts too. why yes itanium surely will take over

also lol intel is shipping it until june. hp took orders until dec 31st of last year.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Hed posted:

is rambus still doing NHL sponsorships?

ultravoices
May 10, 2004

You are about to embark on a great journey. Are you ready, my friend?
ramdoubler

https://daringfireball.net/2019/01/ram_double_engst

quote:

The most amazing thing, in hindsight, isn’t that compression and clever virtual memory techniques could double your memory — it’s that Mac OS was so open that something as low-level as RAM Doubler was even possible. Effectively, a Mac running RAM Doubler was running a fork of the OS — not just a subtle fork but a fork where the entire memory manager was written by a third party.

well, that is one way to put it.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

this isn’t funny though this is great

RAM Doubler ruled, Connectix was awesome, RAM Doubler and Speed Doubler were some of the best system additions for the classic Mac OS ever created

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
bleem!

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison
whatever happened to the connetrix peeps anyway

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

eschaton posted:

RAM Doubler ruled, Connectix was awesome, RAM Doubler and Speed Doubler were some of the best system additions for the classic Mac OS ever created

i liked the one they had where you could bisect your lovely control panels and figure out which one crashed on boot

maybeg that was kaleidoscope? man the 90s is a long time ago

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

kitten emergency posted:

whatever happened to the connetrix peeps anyway
bought out by ms. their ghost lives on inside hyper-v most likely.

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

i watched this for the first time a couple of weeks ago and man it is hilarious how bad it is

160gb is deece tho

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

Gentle Autist posted:

it is hilarious how bad it is

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

eschaton posted:

don't forget Connectix Virtual Game Station

A few months ago I found my copy of it while cleaning out my basement, I had bought it just before Sony memory holed it and could never bring myself to toss out the CD

Laslow
Jul 18, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

A few months ago I found my copy of it while cleaning out my basement, I had bought it just before Sony memory holed it and could never bring myself to toss out the CD
it was really drat good. if you had that cd it basically multiplied the available games on your mac system by an absurd degree.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Laslow posted:

available games on your mac system

ducked up if true

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

kitten smoothie posted:

if it ever needs a good home I would be happy to buy it from you

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Carthag Tuek posted:

i liked the one they had where you could bisect your lovely control panels and figure out which one crashed on boot

maybeg that was kaleidoscope? man the 90s is a long time ago

that was Conflict Catcher from Casady & Greene

it was written by Jeff Robbin (who also wrote SoundJam and became the VP in charge of iTunes to this day)

it was a side project while Jeff worked on Copland’s NuKernel microkernel at Apple, because back then you could do such things

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Laslow posted:

it was really drat good. if you had that cd it basically multiplied the available games on your mac system by an absurd degree.

and it was also a landmark legal case when it comes to how to perform clean-room reverse engineering, as Connectix did everything by the book and kept detailed records, and that’s why Sony ultimately settled the suit and bought Virtual Game Station from them to bury

(if Sony had been smart they’d have kept selling it, paying Connectix to work on it as contractors, and giving them complete access to improve it to get additional game sales and serve as the basis of future-system emulation of past systems)

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kitten smoothie posted:

still have mine, and the mod chip hack to let you play imports and burned copies. was great.

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

edutainment multimedia software

HELLOMYNAMEIS___
Dec 30, 2007

Progressive JPEG posted:

edutainment multimedia software

Oh yeah!
Browsing Wikipedia will just never be the same as popping this bad boy in the CD drive: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgCt2sljFEE

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

remembering now how I bought a CD drive in 1994 from the microcenter mail-in catalog and it came with a CD that had "1000 applications" on it

it had 1000 zip files of the weirdest 1992-1993 shareware poo poo downloaded from BBS's, and they fluffed up the count by including like six different versions of pkunzip

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
new istp idea

encarta mindmaze but using wikipedia

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Wild EEPROM posted:

new istp idea

encarta mindmaze but using wikipedia

whoa

psiox
Oct 15, 2001

Babylon 5 Street Team

kitten smoothie posted:

they fluffed up the count by including like six different versions of pkunzip

this poo poo was so infuriating

though ultimately i guess we /were/ just browsing clipart cds for binaries

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

kitten smoothie posted:

remembering now how I bought a CD drive in 1994 from the microcenter mail-in catalog and it came with a CD that had "1000 applications" on it

it had 1000 zip files of the weirdest 1992-1993 shareware poo poo downloaded from BBS's, and they fluffed up the count by including like six different versions of pkunzip

magazine cover cd-roms where they were determined to fill all 650mb, so they had 15 different genealogy database programs, 30mb of usenet posts, and siterips of weird pre-dotcom websites

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Heat.net, wherein SEGA wanted to give us pretend money for playing certain video games at certain times, with a business model of ?????

Also, the in retrospect somewhat ambitious game 106, which wanted to be able to handle a million users (not necessarily simultaneously). And the mechanism of griefing by dropping a ton of garbage tier items into a user's plot of land, which just murdered framerate since each dropped item was animated, to the point that you might need to get a GM to clean up your plot for you. And the fact that each player rode a :krad: hoverboard around the map which is a pretty interesting way to deal with walking animations and lag.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 7, 2021

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The dichotomy of dialup users and broadband users in games, wherein dialup users had to lead their targets by their ping times in FPS, and broadband users had to deal with dialup users just warping places and poo poo.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

My young, naive lack of understanding of the difference between a filetable and the actual contents of a floppy disk, and the fact that the operating system says that the file exists when the disk is physically damaged, leading to disappointment as it turns out I lost my copy of Carrier Command to sand, feet, and a messy bedroom, far before I realized it.

Truman Peyote
Oct 11, 2006

VRML

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

MAG, the massive action game

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

The Lawnmower Man

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

waffleimages

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

imagesocket

loving imagesocket

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

more like imageSUCKit

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'