Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Anachronist posted:

Not a bad choice either I’m sure. E aspects were a slush fest even with the clouds in the afternoon. I got there too late to ski any of that today.

Also there was a bomb threat on 70 3 miles west of the tunnel so that’s fun. Lots of backup on Loveland Pass.

Well that is crazy! Looks like you had a good time still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WHERE MY HAT IS AT
Jan 7, 2011
I ended up with 20 resort days and 7 backcountry this year which is easily the shortest season I’ve had since I bought my own gear and started riding not on vacation.

Next year will be better, I just couldn’t bring myself to risk it at the resort most days this year with how covid was handled in Alberta. Planning a Ski Big 3 pass for next season which will make weekday laps a bit easier too since I can just go to Norquay.

I put all the ski gear away and pulled out the camping and biking gear yesterday, so of course it snowed 11cm overnight.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Just got back from a desert biking trip, but I am at 74 lift served days and a whole one touring day this season. Probably get another 7 days of lift serve before I put all the gear away.

Got the Ikon pass add-on to my bird pass for next year, it'll pay for itself between the two trips I have planned. Hope the border is opened back up as my buddy wants to hit Red for his birthday and I haven't been there in a decade!

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

3 days lift served and 54 days touring. The lift served was a ton of fun and I'll for sure be doing more next winter when there's less covid and people are visiting. The touring keeps me in shape and I feel less bad slacking off work to do exercise than just to ski.

It's just snowing now, gonna go for a run and see where the snow line is and maybe do a little tour tomorrow.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

knox_harrington posted:

3 days lift served and 54 days touring. The lift served was a ton of fun and I'll for sure be doing more next winter when there's less covid and people are visiting. The touring keeps me in shape and I feel less bad slacking off work to do exercise than just to ski.

It's just snowing now, gonna go for a run and see where the snow line is and maybe do a little tour tomorrow.

Attempted to tour from the valley floor in Aspen yesterday and that did not happen. I would need to hike for a bit now and I didn't have time, sad.

But going to ski Abasin today, hopefully they still have bbq.

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Eejit posted:

Attempted to tour from the valley floor in Aspen yesterday and that did not happen. I would need to hike for a bit now and I didn't have time, sad.

But going to ski Abasin today, hopefully they still have bbq.

How is Abasin right now? I was thinking of going this week.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Partial Octopus posted:

How is Abasin right now? I was thinking of going this week.

Really good coverage. Bloody Mary's are also still very much on point and the brisket/waffle fries combo never disappoints.

When we were up on Saturday, the cloud cover prevented things from properly slushing up until after noon, but it was still fun. Definitely worth going up.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Very envious of you all still skiing. I am just about to move my skis from the car top carrier to the garage roof rack I have installed for my skis. A very sad time of the year, indeed.

Verman
Jul 4, 2005
Third time is a charm right?
I was just about to remove my ski racks from my car for the summer but remember we're going to move soon so I'll leave them on another week or two.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I have yet to get my first day in, but it’s coming.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
We're starting summer indoors on snow training soon at Big Snow so I'm pretty excited. We have a lot of northeast teams coming down to NJ for the same reason though so training slots are limited but this gives our kids the capacity to ski year round locally.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eejit posted:

Really good coverage. Bloody Mary's are also still very much on point and the brisket/waffle fries combo never disappoints.

When we were up on Saturday, the cloud cover prevented things from properly slushing up until after noon, but it was still fun. Definitely worth going up.

I'll be there in 1 month. :ohdear:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Residency Evil posted:

I'll be there in 1 month. :ohdear:

It will not be worth it past next weekend. Breck just gave it up.

Moey
Oct 22, 2010

I LIKE TO MOVE IT

spwrozek posted:

It will not be worth it past next weekend. Breck just gave it up.

It has rained the past few days, pretty hard yesterday.

Unsure if I want to go out for some last laps this season or just pack it up.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moey posted:

It has rained the past few days, pretty hard yesterday.

Unsure if I want to go out for some last laps this season or just pack it up.

We are in bike mode at this point and off to Moab for the weekend.

highme
May 25, 2001

Are any Tahoe resorts still spinning chairs? I've got the next 11 days off and my plans of camping on Hood early next week look like they're not going to work out. As a result I am kind of tempted to drive to Mammoth and back.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Nope, Squaw wrapped it up this past weekend. Mammoth is it.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

Also it’s snowing right now.

highme
May 25, 2001

Yeah that forecast is tempting. Unfortunately my reminded me of our old cat that now requires medication twice a day so my plan may have met an insurmountable obstacle. There’s an outside chance I just take off on my own, and live out of my truck for a week.

Suicide Watch
Sep 8, 2009
I'm probably heading up to Mammoth solo tomorrow evening too. 5 hours each way for a half-day or two or skiing...yep definitely not desperate to ski or anything.

Anachronist
Feb 13, 2009

I skied Silver couloir on Buffalo yesterday. Lots of hiking on dirt and intermittent snow until almost treeline, then was able to skin to the summit. Breakable crust to start in the couloir, followed by great corn lower down. Maybe could've waited up top for a while to get better conditions but the wind was seriously whipping and I just wanted to ski. The exit was a mess, lots of downed trees and postholing in rotten snow. I also lost the trail at one point and did some bushwhacking. Had I known what I was in for I might've chose to boot back up the couloir and ski the upper slopes back to the trail: they looked like excellent skiing still while I was skinning up. Still stoked on the day though.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sick

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Important ski news. Mikaela Shiffrin and Alexander Aamodt Kilde is a couple. https://www.instagram.com/p/CPi7-A4gotx/

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
The couple with the lowest combined FIS points in the world...

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
are the visiting the Oakley tombs?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Keyser_Soze posted:

are the visiting the Oakley tombs?

Possibly some sort of combined wind tunnel and chapel. Instead of "I do", you "send it".

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.

The original was no sleeping in vehicles but lol it’s painfully true

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Moot .1415926535 posted:

The original was no sleeping in vehicles but lol it’s painfully true

Sleeping in Vehicles is the local housing though....right? so same/same?

Master_Odin
Apr 15, 2010

My spear never misses its mark...

ladies
Daily Beast put out an article yesterday titled "The Superrich Bought Up This Idaho Town and Regular Folks Now May Have to Live in Tents" and it's crazy. Look sure, everyone who isn't super rich is getting priced out of their homes, but it's fine, they can just set up a tent in the park and use the YMCA's showers and that's totally fine, right?

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

50cm right before opening weekend and more coming is pretty good for the Aussie resorts.

I cant go this weekend, but I am next weekend :)

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
After a successful race season run by volunteers and paid coaches on a shoestring and after all their promises of support, our home mountain is kicking out the race team again. They sent us note that they are suspending all support for racing including us, also all scholastic racing, all junior level pre racing programs etc. We've been profitable for them and they're claiming it's not financial but rather that we don't fit in their business model. We're working to convince them to reverse their decision but also working on alternative contingency plans. To be very very polite and circumspect, it is hard to work with mountain management and I kinda wish I wasn't in a leadership role but we're going to fight this.

Edit: It'd be funny if we just poached the entire season and ran a USSS sanctioned but unauthorized race program on the mountain. The kids would be completely down with it but the parents and coaches not so much.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Jun 10, 2021

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Yuns posted:

After a successful race season run by volunteers and paid coaches on a shoestring and after all their promises of support, our home mountain is kicking out the race team again. They sent us note that they are suspending all support for racing including us, also all scholastic racing, all junior level pre racing programs etc. We've been profitable for them and they're claiming it's not financial but rather that we don't fit in their business model. We're working to convince them to reverse their decision but also working on alternative contingency plans. To be very very polite and circumspect, it is hard to work with mountain management and I kinda wish I wasn't in a leadership role but we're going to fight this.

Edit: It'd be funny if we just poached the entire season and ran a USSS sanctioned but unauthorized race program on the mountain. The kids would be completely down with it but the parents and coaches not so much.

That really sucks. I hate to say it, but I guarantee it must be financial, I mean, the phrase "don't fit with our business model" directly implies that. At my local mountain race days are my absolute least favorite though; the lodge and parking lot is pretty much filled up with people who are not skiing and they bogart all the lodge services and it is frustrating to the point I won't ski on race days anymore, even though they only use a very small portion of the actual ski runs. Lots of time the people hanging out in the lodge bring their own food and drink as well, which is to be expected given on mountain prices, but probably doesn't make the mountain too happy.

highme
May 25, 2001

If we’re not driving through Govy by 6:30 on comp days we don’t get space in the race room. That should be alleviated somewhat by the new lodge (we’ve been promised we won’t have to share spaces anymore). Weekends at Meadows is a crowded poo poo show regardless.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

IncredibleIgloo posted:

That really sucks. I hate to say it, but I guarantee it must be financial, I mean, the phrase "don't fit with our business model" directly implies that. At my local mountain race days are my absolute least favorite though; the lodge and parking lot is pretty much filled up with people who are not skiing and they bogart all the lodge services and it is frustrating to the point I won't ski on race days anymore, even though they only use a very small portion of the actual ski runs. Lots of time the people hanging out in the lodge bring their own food and drink as well, which is to be expected given on mountain prices, but probably doesn't make the mountain too happy.
It is financial but not in the sense one might think. I know the financials and know how we fit in and we're a solid source of profitability. The issue is that they want to cut expenses down to skeleton crew levels and racing support prevents them from doing that. Even park support and builds have been decreasing in quality. The problem is that cutting to increase profitability only goes so far and when services are cut so far that they affect revenue then you're stuck. Their model as I see it is run it cheaply as humanly possible and rely on bussed in crowds from the city.

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Yuns posted:

Just start packing your stuff up and convince your wife it's time to move to a state with real mountains... "for the kids"

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
https://www.facebook.com/DudeDadVlog/posts/335783534568249

This is titled Colorado but I feel like a good 90% of this applies to any mountain town.

Also as an Outback owner I feel attacked.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

I will never own a pair of chacos.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Here it would be blundstones.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Not nearly as fugly as chacos though

Adbot