Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
I'm pretty sure he's only done TV since. I thought he worked on the Sarah Silverman Program., but that's the guy who made Scud.

Cartoonist Kayfabe did a look at The Tick, but I honestly can't remember what they said about his career post the comic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgJTYhzsWeQ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

TV pays better. It’s why Zeb Wells doesn’t write a ton of books.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Lunar Distribution (dcbs/ist) just leased a 145,000 sq ft warehouse on the east side of town and are adding 160 new local jobs. Very cool!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/jawrote/status/1398465158910038020?s=20

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like people just leaving the rental scooters everywhere is just as much a danger for people tripping over them.

That exact thing happened to me two days ago. Got a nasty bruise on my lower shin.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

New theory: Spider-Man doesn't need mechanical webshooters. He's always been able to generate his own webs, but he's so embarrassed by the webbing coming out of his rear end that he invented mechanical webshooters to use instead.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Random Stranger posted:

New theory: Spider-Man doesn't need mechanical webshooters. He's always been able to generate his own webs, but he's so embarrassed by the webbing coming out of his rear end that he invented mechanical webshooters to use instead.

I hate this because my brain extrapolated that Spidey secretly wears underpants that have tubes running up to his wrists. I didn’t want to think that, but here I am.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

What was the name of that comic about iirc a guy with a magically insane vest? Like, his vest let him channel insanity magic, or something like that?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Gripweed posted:

What was the name of that comic about iirc a guy with a magically insane vest? Like, his vest let him channel insanity magic, or something like that?

Shade the Changing Man, created by Steve Ditko.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Random Stranger posted:

Shade the Changing Man, created by Steve Ditko.

Thanks! I was just reminded of the series but couldn't remember any details beyond the insane vest.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Gripweed posted:

Thanks! I was just reminded of the series but couldn't remember any details beyond the insane vest.

I've never read the originals, but Peter Milligan's work on Shade TCM under Vertigo is definitely worth your time.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

DigitalRaven posted:

I've never read the originals, but Peter Milligan's work on Shade TCM under Vertigo is definitely worth your time.

Yeah, there's a bit in the first volume that stuck with me ever since I read it many years ago:

He encounters an American Sphinx whose riddle is 'Who killed JFK?'

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

DigitalRaven posted:

Yeah, that's the one I read a couple issues of.

Of course now it's extremely out of print.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

I believe in all the ways that they say you can lose your body
Fallen Rib
Young Animal (Gerard Way's imprint) did a Shade, the changing girl comic a few years back. I think it's available in two trades and I kind of preferred the first to the second but also it's a title worth checking out.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Gripweed posted:

Yeah, that's the one I read a couple issues of.

Of course now it's extremely out of print.

You can get a lot of it on Comixology if you would like to read it digitally. It looks like it's missing a small chunk of issues in the first year and then issues #51-70.

Edit: It looks you can get issues #7-9 if you buy the trades, they just aren't up as single issues.

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jun 2, 2021

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

How Wonderful! posted:

You can get a lot of it on Comixology if you would like to read it digitally. It looks like it's missing a small chunk of issues in the first year and then issues #51-70.

Edit: It looks you can get issues #7-9 if you buy the trades, they just aren't up as single issues.

It’s all on it

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Another horrifying thought: thanks to the sliding time scale, Reed probably lost all of the team's money in FF#9 to the 2008 financial crisis. Probably put all of their money into mortgage backed securities.

We're almost to the point where they they could have gone to see the Iron Man movie before heading off to steal the rocket.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

How Wonderful! posted:

I really wish I could just buy the trades physically. I'm not fond of reading comics on a screen

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

I'm really annoyed that Jenny Zero is only four issues. "Ultraseven's faildaughter has to take her father's place as protector of earth" is a great premise, the character comes across well, and the best friend and their relationship is really good too. This should be an ongoing, I want to just enjoy these characters and this situation. But since it's only four issues presumably there's going to be a rush to an unsatisfying climax and that'll be the end.

Stop doing miniseries! It's fine if it's one of the big two and it's just like, "what if Spider-Man and the White Rabbit got sent back in time and have to work together save Robespierre from a time traveling Monarchist assassin" or whatever, some fun idea they don't want to spend six months of the main series on. But if it's a new thing based on an interesting idea it should be an ongoing with a minimum two year commitment from the publisher.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Maybe the writer has a really good idea for a story that can be told in four issues and that's it? It's weird that you're writing something off before the first issue has even been published.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Endless Mike posted:

Maybe the writer has a really good idea for a story that can be told in four issues and that's it? It's weird that you're writing something off before the first issue has even been published.

The second issue came out this week. That's how I came up with my opinion that I want more time with these characters in this situation, because I've enjoyed that part of the comic so far. And the actual "plot" part about the shady organization is much less interesting.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
"Don't start a new series unless you're going to run it for two years" is a great way to get publishers not to start any new series.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Bad Idea is closing shop. Unless it's another one of their marketing stunts (it's deffo this).
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1401901766589902853

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If ever there was a company that picked the right name. I suppose now they're just going to change it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Are those the guys that demanded comic shops only sell their comics on it's release day and then send back their stock so anyone who didn't buy it the day one missed out? It made me kinda pissed finding out there's a new David Lapham book out that's next to impossible to find.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ruddiger posted:

Are those the guys that demanded comic shops only sell their comics on it's release day and then send back their stock so anyone who didn't buy it the day one missed out? It made me kinda pissed finding out there's a new David Lapham book out that's next to impossible to find.

That was such a dumb idea. I could see doing that for like variant covers or whatever, but comics are literature, it should be as accessible as possible.

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

Vincent posted:

Bad Idea is closing shop. Unless it's another one of their marketing stunts (it's deffo this).
https://twitter.com/dinesh_s/status/1401901766589902853

Announcing you're shutting down your business forever with a hashtag (and also a six-month buffer period where you'll still be doing all the usual stuff) is giving the game away, I think.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

ruddiger posted:

Yuuuuuuuuuuuuuup.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Herb Trimpe’s being talked about on Twitter, I knew he was pretty disillusioned with the comics industry at the time, but I had no idea Marvel did him this dirty when they fired him. drat.

https://twitter.com/ronjoseph717/status/1403009109188767744?s=21

https://archive.nytimes.com/www.nytimes.com/library/national/010900edlife-56-edu.html

quote:

May 13: Well, the wait is over. Today it came, via Federal Express. I got fired by mail, effective June 8. No warning, no phone call. The letter was delivered with another package I was expecting from Marvel. You couldn't tell what it was by the envelope. A stealth termination. Opened it up. Bang! Gotcha! Ha! I've been waiting a long time, and still they caught me off guard.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I read that a while back, it's terrible. Poor guy.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Do the studios have house artists that get salaries and benefits or is it all freelance?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

A Strange Aeon posted:

Do the studios have house artists that get salaries and benefits or is it all freelance?

The have exclusivity deals, but it's almost entirely work for hire.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

It's a complete shame. Trimpe's work on Hulk was seminal. Ewing was pulling from it even to this day in Immortal. Seeing people go "hur hur he had to draw like Liefeld" was maddening.

Forneus Rex
Jun 9, 2021

Nothing nice.
Just picked up The Strange Adventures of H P Lovecraft. Not really sure how i feel about it yet but I'm digging the art a lot.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Today marks a special day in my collar bone recovery. I can put on and take off a danged t-shirt. No more button-downs for me unless I want to!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Endless Mike posted:

Today marks a special day in my collar bone recovery. I can put on and take off a danged t-shirt. No more button-downs for me unless I want to!

Congrats! Why not celebrate with this little number?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vincent posted:

Congrats! Why not celebrate with this little number?

No way. I would never wear anything that reserved.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

Congrats, I remember how happy I was when, after heart surgery, I could move well enough to wipe my rear end without a stick.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Endless Mike posted:

Congratulations! It's such an amazing milestone.

I got there with my smashed elbow recovery a couple of weeks ago and every little thing is a milestone. You'll hit the next one soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

The Great Twist
This might be a dumb question but is Peanuts worth reading? Like I know it's very popular or was, but would it be rewarding to read the entire run of it? Newspaper strips I find tricky because of the format--like if you judged Calvin and Hobbes on a dozen mediocre weekly strips instead of as an entire body of work, you'd walk away with an entirely different perception of it. But I don't have the ambition to read every published Garfield strip because I don't think that'd be rewarding.

I know Peanuts was long running, but how full of mediocre weekly strips was it? Is there a good place to start if not at the beginning?