Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mercrom posted:

The performance needs improvements too because the game can get below 20 fps on my 3080 if there are a lot of skavenslaves on screen.
What's your CPU? I think that sort of stuff is more on your processor than your graphics card.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

No surprise here, but CA confirmed that there won't be any news at E3. There's a Q&A going on in their discord, and here's someone compiling the answers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/nwon8i/total_war_warhammer_3_qa_will_update_as_more/

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Sinteres posted:

No surprise here, but CA confirmed that there won't be any news at E3. There's a Q&A going on in their discord, and here's someone compiling the answers:

https://www.reddit.com/r/totalwar/comments/nwon8i/total_war_warhammer_3_qa_will_update_as_more/

Does Sega even have a presence there this year?

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

Does Sega even have a presence there this year?

I don't see a showcase for them or anything, but I don't know if they'll pop up in one of the other showcases. I think they'll have some kind of presence in Amazon's Summer Game Fest that starts today though.

Dr Kool-AIDS fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Jun 10, 2021

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
That Reddit post actually goes into Khorne's mechanics a little

quote:

Khorne's battle mechanic revolves around killing the enemy. Each kill made by the Khorne army adds to his battle resource, which can be spent to fire off one of three army abilities. Additionally several Khorne units come with passive abilities that scale in intensity based on the number of kills made by that unit. So most of it revolves around killing. (CA Duck)

Also confirms it won't be a horde faction

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Wonder if Skaven/Bretonnia/greenskins will be at a disadvantage with the amount of kills Khorne gets on them.

It'll probably be a %-based thing though.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Mordja posted:

Khorne, and presumably the other daemons, not being a horde faction is a big win in my book. Some other horde related news from the Reddit post is that the Beastmen rework is confirmed not to update horde mechanics for WoC, and WoC legendary lords are confirmed not to be recruitable for any daemons faction, at least at launch.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.
Sadly it appears that we won't be getting brown bears.

quote:

In the trailers there are brown bears and polar bears? What is the difference? Are they seperate units?

quote:

Earlier in development they were brown bears, but currently they are changed to be riding white bears instead. Cinematics were made prior to the change occurring. (CA Duck)

kanonvandekempen
Mar 14, 2009

orangelex44 posted:

Sadly it appears that we won't be getting brown bears.

Don't worry, there will be a mod within a few seconds of release that gives you all kinds of bears I bet.

Mercrom
Jul 17, 2009

Mordja posted:

What's your CPU? I think that sort of stuff is more on your processor than your graphics card.

i5 8400. It's not amazing but it has decent single core performance which afaik is what matters for DX11 games.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Mordja posted:

Chaos in the Old World board game vibes. That was a fun game so no complaints.

Also add a civ 3-esque palace mechanic but it's just selecting different varieties of skulls and you put them in a big pile.

Cardboard Fox
Feb 8, 2009

[Tentatively Excited]

Sinteres posted:

quote:

Does Khorne have something to compensate for lack of magic and ranged?

Extremely strong melee units plus spell resistance for all Khorne Daemons. Khorne will on average be one of the hardest hitting and elite factions in the game. (CA Duck)

I did not know this.

Looks like my Karl Franz + 19 Helstorm Rocket Battery strategy will work against at least one of the 4 Chaos gods.

Kaza42
Oct 3, 2013

Blood and Souls and all that
One notable answer in the thread is that Magic Resistance is now Spell Resistance, and doesn't apply against magical attacks. No concrete answer on if it reduces non-damage spell effects, but implied no. Makes Dwarfs and Khorne weaker than they would have otherwise been

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Some other stuff that stood out to me is that Grom's getting a nerf in the next patch, and Norsca are (reasonably) seen as the race from the first two games that most needs help to bring it up to the current standard.

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Any of a group of colors that are between red and yellow in hue. Middle English, from Anglo-French, from Old Occitan, from Arabic, from Persian, from Sanskrit.

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Sinteres posted:

Some other stuff that stood out to me is that Grom's getting a nerf in the next patch, and Norsca are (reasonably) seen as the race from the first two games that most needs help to bring it up to the current standard.

Not just Grom, they're nerfing the tactical WAAAAGH rate too.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Mercrom posted:

i5 8400. It's not amazing but it has decent single core performance which afaik is what matters for DX11 games.

I have an ancient 1080 and an 8th gen i7 and I don't get serious frametate drops, even in a 4 Skaven army battle. I think there's probably an issue elsewhere.

ad090
Oct 4, 2013

claws for alarm
It's been brought up a lot in this thread so:

Q: Any changes made to the difficulty system?

A: Battlewise, we've reduced the melee bonuses the AI get on Hard and Very hard.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wonder if Gotrek and Felix will show up in TWW3’s Vortex equivalent. I wish I had thought to look for the discord to ask if before they closed it.

Speaking of them, I’m 60+ turns into my Grombrindal Mortal Empires campaign, and they haven’t showed up yet. I vaguely recall them showing up earlier in my Vortex Markus Wulfhart and Repanse campaigns. Is it a Mortal Empires thing for them to show up later or less frequently, or is it just random?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Something about Gotrek and Felix seems bugged where they rarely show up in games where you play as non recruitable factions and if you play as a faction that can recruit him he'll sit around for like 20 turns waiting for you but once he leaves he'll never ever get picked up by another faction.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

ad090 posted:

It's been brought up a lot in this thread so:

Q: Any changes made to the difficulty system?

A: Battlewise, we've reduced the melee bonuses the AI get on Hard and Very hard.

https://forums.totalwar.com/discussion/221946/wh2-combat-and-campaign-bonuses-based-on-difficulty

This post breaks down what the bonuses from each difficulty are, too

Eschatos
Apr 10, 2013

pictured: Big Cum's Most Monstrous Ambassador

juggalo baby coffin posted:

because of the weirdness of the warp, every demon unit that exists in 40k also exists in fantasy and vice versa

Sorry bud, that aint true. Aside from the first two those are all 40k only. We're not gettin any plasma cannon demons in Total Warhammer.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
You know, I always liked the look of that Chaos guy on the Warhammer Online box art, would be cool if Tzeetch Warriors look kinda like that

Zedhe Khoja
Nov 10, 2017

sürgünden selamlar
yıkıcılar ulusuna
The chosen will probably get that kind of look

Assuming the chaos factions get chosen anyway.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Both of them are leaving themselves completely wide open to attack

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

One coin for the Bird God

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Does anyone have any primers on playing Lizardmen, Gor-Rok specifically? All the factions I've played so far were pretty ranged-heavy so I'm having a hard time adjusting.

vandalism
Aug 4, 2003
AHHH HE IS WIELDING HIS SWORD WITH HIS LEFT HAND CHAOSSS I AM LOSING MY MIND SIGMAR SAVE ME!!!

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Aumanor posted:

Does anyone have any primers on playing Lizardmen, Gor-Rok specifically? All the factions I've played so far were pretty ranged-heavy so I'm having a hard time adjusting.

You have some of the best infantry in the game with Saurus warriors so don't be afraid to spam them to smash through the enemy front line. To support this you want skinks to harass the enemy and salamanders to provide ranged fire power. For extra muscle boxing kroxigors do wonders in supporting the lines and pretty much any dinosaur unit will help out. Terradon units are also very handy thanks to the drop rock ability to soften up the enemy before engaging the front line. Always try to grab heroes when possible and put them in your armies as they all get dinosaurs as mount options.

For Gor-Rok specifically be ready to abuse Lord Kroak in every battle as his ability to just nuke everything with no risk of friendly fire will work wonders in the more difficult battles.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

Aumanor posted:

Have you played Rome Total war? Play the Lizardmen like you would play a Roman army. Lock things down with your superior heavy infantry and use javelins and cavalry in support. Oh and also you have dinosaurs and powerful wizards too. Smash a T-Rex into a blob of enemy infantry or drop a meteor on them.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Both of them are leaving themselves completely wide open to attack

It's fine for the Chaos Warrior, that's what the armour is for.

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
I'm disappointed that the Q&A didn't mention a WoC rework but I imagine they're having a huge headache trying to figuring out reworking them amid all this new chaos demon stuff.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Yeah I'm really curious to see how they're handled. I have a feeling we won't know much of anything about it until after release though. Ideally some sort of rework would happen alongside the release of Immortal Empires, because I think they'll feel really weird in their current form alongside much more interesting daemon armies. FWIW I think SFO does a lot to make them more interesting, and wouldn't play them without it.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I played a bit of Gor-Rok recently. Make sure you're keeping Kroak near your front line and target his spells to blow up wherever the enemy is bunched up thickest against your Saurus. He's better than any artillery. I would focus mostly on lord upgrades for G-R that make him tougher (melee defense / damage resistance are the most important things to raise). By around level 12-13 I think I was able to mostly solo sieges with him. You should be able to just march him onto a wall and hit fast forward, but I also found great success in parking Kroak next to the wall and blasting helpless defenders with him. I forget if he can target on top of walls or if you have to target the ground. If you have to target the ground it might be best to run G-R down from the wall so you can blast the big enemy formations that will cluster around him, but not until he's levelled up enough to be nigh-invincible (doesn't take too long).

In the very beginning I would use ambush stance between your nearest settlement and the one you're trying to take and lure out any garrisoned armies before attacking it. Especially for the Skaven at the start since sieging Skaven sucks so much (although less for you than for vampires since you have so little to protect).

Randallteal fucked around with this message at 01:11 on Jun 11, 2021

orangelex44
Oct 11, 2012

Definition of orange:

Definition of lex:

Law. Latin.

Sinteres posted:

Yeah I'm really curious to see how they're handled. I have a feeling we won't know much of anything about it until after release though. Ideally some sort of rework would happen alongside the release of Immortal Empires, because I think they'll feel really weird in their current form alongside much more interesting daemon armies. FWIW I think SFO does a lot to make them more interesting, and wouldn't play them without it.

In the Q&A there were a couple questions about WoC, and each time their response was more-or-less "nothing new on release". I suspect you're right, and that nothing will change for them until Immortal Empires forces the issue. However, they also didn't rule out any of the comments, which was interesting - people were asking about "will WoC get new monsters" or "will Slaanesh get access to Sigvald". My hope is that they just make Warhammer 1 and the WoC expansion free when Immortal Empires releases, then merge WoC and Demons together.

orangelex44 fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jun 11, 2021

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
My ideal would definitely be rolling warriors into new chaos and having a mechanic where you can make your favourite dude everchosen. I'm prolly way more amenable to Archaon than most people and even I don't want that bland fucker when I could be winning with actually cool chaos characters

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I wondered about the absence of Gotrek and Felix in my Grombrindal Mortal Empires campaign in a post earlier, and they appeared a few turns after I started playing again this evening :v:

I only have three armies running around, two of them full, with territory running along all east of Zhufbar and Karnak Karin. Early on I got good relations with Zhulfbar and had several chances to confederate with the, but I didn’t because I didn’t want to open a front against the Vampire Counts. Now the Von Carsteins are gone, Sylvania is down to its last settlement, and they’ve grown in power enough that confederation chances are in the red.

I got Grimgor down to his last settlement, but then he absorbed the much larger Bloody Handz. Mors and Eshin each gained a huge amount of territory, and then Eshin absorbed Mors and the whole Southeast is probably covered in themThey I managed to avoid warring with them, but now they attacked an ally so I probably have to fight them soon.
-
How does the Age of Discovery event work? It happened before got ahold of a port, so I don’t get to benefit from it now?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Well after bouncing off of Ikit's Vortex campaign like six times, I finally made it stick. I used to play Lizards almost exclusively, and not very well, but doing an Empire campaign really helped shake up the way I thought about approaching battles. I also essentially ignored under-cities in this campaign for the first few dozen turns, which I think helped me not stall out: better to just eat Itza than try to farm it.

Where it really clicked for me though was the second or third Chaos invasion, where I was defending a walled minor settlement against 3 armies, with essentially four ratling gunners, a warpfire thrower, three catapults and a lot of trash. I ultimately lost the siege, but parking all that ranged on the victory point and just melting anything that came down the road worked extremely well. If they'd had a few less giants or a few less elite cavalry units, it might have stuck, but either way I was able to clean them all up with another nearby army next turn.

Also, Under-Empire shennanigans are excellent. Managed to get a bunch of under-cities in Lothern, which was the only other faction in the race for the rituals, and then managed to get a bunch of undertide armies to pop on the same turn that I earthquake-nuked Lothern, so I was able to colonize it immediately at level five. Get hosed, knife-ears!

Drakhoran
Oct 21, 2012

Dr Christmas posted:

I wondered about the absence of Gotrek and Felix in my Grombrindal Mortal Empires campaign in a post earlier, and they appeared a few turns after I started playing again this evening :v:

I believe Gotrek and Felix shows up looking for a beer the turn after you finish building your first Tap Room/Refectory. You do have to build it yourself. Acquiring a bar through conquest or confederation doesn't work.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the Wall St.
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Drakhoran posted:

I believe Gotrek and Felix shows up looking for a beer the turn after you finish building your first Tap Room/Refectory. You do have to build it yourself. Acquiring a bar through conquest or confederation doesn't work.

That seems to be why. I managed to hold off building any public order buildings since public order techs were sufficient for Dwarfs, but I needed one when a city with endemic vampire corruption was getting problematic. I was annoyed they spawned near there and not my contested borders. Other people on the internet mention this connection, but I never heard it talked about before now. Some forum posts elsewhere mention it, but it’s not on the official FAQ for them or the wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stackofflapjacks
Apr 7, 2009

Mmmmm

I finally downloaded the GCCM battle maps mod and it is such a nice change to have better battle map experience. Really gives the notable cities an epic fight. Although the AI is equally as bad at playing them as they are at cookie cutter towns.

I'm real hopeful for sieges in wh3. Is it something they've announced they are working on? Or is it more a glaring obvious slam dunk to fix?