Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What E3 announcement are you most looking forward to?
This poll is closed.
Star Citizen suddenly released 14 6.36%
Nintendo unveils the Switch Pro, Metroid Prime 4 is exclusive 27 12.27%
Bethesda announces Fallout 5, Todd somehow entirely forgets about Elder Scrolls 6 and is surprised to be asked about it by interviewers 32 14.55%
Bowsette is real and thinks you're doing okay 121 55.00%
Square Enix retroactively cancels your least favorite Final Fantasy game 26 11.82%
Total: 220 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Discworld is incredible, really the only reasons to not love Discworld is simply because someone hasn't read it, or they have contrarianism disease and only by rejecting that which owns can they express their inner turmoil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just listened to intergalactic by the beastie boys over and over growing up because the music video had a cool giant robot in it. That and the Celine Dion “it’s all coming back to me now“ music video with the ghost motorcycle. I didn’t really get into music until I turned 17 and was given an iPod touch.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

Discworld is incredible, really the only reasons to not love Discworld is simply because someone hasn't read it, or they have contrarianism disease and only by rejecting that which owns can they express their inner turmoil.

yeah seriously. and the scope of topics covered in them is broad enough that i could probably find a few in the series that would appeal to just about anyone.

Sir Terry was also a legitimately great philosophist

quote:

“All right," said Susan. "I'm not stupid. You're saying humans need... fantasies to make life bearable."

REALLY? AS IF IT WAS SOME KIND OF PINK PILL? NO. HUMANS NEED FANTASY TO BE HUMAN. TO BE THE PLACE WHERE THE FALLING ANGEL MEETS THE RISING APE.

"Tooth fairies? Hogfathers? Little—"

YES. AS PRACTICE. YOU HAVE TO START OUT LEARNING TO BELIEVE THE LITTLE LIES.

"So we can believe the big ones?"

YES. JUSTICE. MERCY. DUTY. THAT SORT OF THING.

"They're not the same at all!"

YOU THINK SO? THEN TAKE THE UNIVERSE AND GRIND IT DOWN TO THE FINEST POWDER AND SIEVE IT THROUGH THE FINEST SIEVE AND THEN SHOW ME ONE ATOM OF JUSTICE, ONE MOLECULE OF MERCY. AND YET—Death waved a hand. AND YET YOU ACT AS IF THERE IS SOME IDEAL ORDER IN THE WORLD, AS IF THERE IS SOME...SOME RIGHTNESS IN THE UNIVERSE BY WHICH IT MAY BE JUDGED.

"Yes, but people have got to believe that, or what's the point—"

MY POINT EXACTLY.”

quote:

“Getting an education was a bit like a communicable sexual disease. It made you unsuitable for a lot of jobs and then you had the urge to pass it on.”

quote:

“The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as "Things just happen. What the hell".”

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It was wild when I learned that Avril Lavigne's career was cut short because of Lyme Disease

The outdoors, not even once

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
am i the only one who wants to try the original conker game before it became bad fur day

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Khanstant posted:

I first read Discworld because one of my high school English teachers made Small Gods assigned reading, it owned

I haven't read any in a long time, I would want to get big omnibus editions like the one I have for Earthsea

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I first read Discworld because one of my high school English teachers made Small Gods assigned reading, it owned

I haven't read any in a long time, I would want to get big omnibus editions like the one I have for Earthsea

All the coolest nerds I knew were saying "Terry Pratchett who is that let's get some of that Ursula Le Guin"

e:

https://twitter.com/ursulakleguin/status/1371569977774333956

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

I think I read 15 pages of a discworld book when I was 12 and thought it was too random

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
LORD, WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

e: discworld really does rule and I gotta start a reread at some point

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!

quote:

"The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness."

I adore Discworld. It was my favourite book series for most of my life until I found the Dresden Files.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I remember forcing myself to read a discworld book when i was on holiday and really not enjoying it - i think it was Clay of Feet and i couldn't tell you a single thing that happened but i went back and started at The Colour of Magic.

I can't think of too many other books that produce genuine belly laughs

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Control is this weeks free Epic Game Store title. I have that game on just about every platform now. I think I just need to get it for free on Switch now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I don't know why we're talking about Discworld but I'll chime in and say it's very good and funny and I miss Terry Pratchett.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Regy Rusty posted:

I don't know why we're talking about Discworld but I'll chime in and say it's very good and funny and I miss Terry Pratchett.

:same:

Draga
Dec 9, 2011

WASHI JA!
I wonder who the better live action Vetinari was. Jeremy irons in Colour of Magic or Charles Dance in Hogfather?

Baller Time
Apr 22, 2014

by Azathoth
Raw magic is purple

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Regy Rusty posted:

I've not yet read The Shepherd's Crown because it isn't over if I don't finish it

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

hatty posted:

That and the Celine Dion “it’s all coming back to me now“ music video with the ghost motorcycle.

That song/video kicks rear end and was written by Jim Steinman, the dude who wrote Meat Loaf's songs and also Total Eclipse of the Heart

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

https://twitter.com/josephfcox/status/1403018562923417609?s=21

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

What possible value could anyone get out of Fifa's source code?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Unbelievable wealth for Russian knockoff game makers

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

stev posted:

black market FIFA Ultimate Team cards...

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Simone Magus posted:

yeah seriously. and the scope of topics covered in them is broad enough that i could probably find a few in the series that would appeal to just about anyone.

Sir Terry was also a legitimately great philosophist

drat I need to re-read some of these. i once owned basically all of them, i got some amazon giftcard back when amazon was still more like a book place kind of, and then through infinity moves shed them until i only have a tiny handful left. At least most of them I gave to friends or coworkers who would enjoy them!

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Yeah that would be grand, I think the stories and satires and criticisms of the books still hold up today, maybe better than before as our reality has gotten increasingly absurd while maintaining a serious face.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

There is so much wrong with this that I don't even know where to start

It's all true and you know it except maybe replace Tool with Queen idk

But again though Discworld is legimitately great. Those first two point and click adventure games with Eric Idle were good too

edit: and people talk a lot about the Death and Rincewind books being classic discworld series, but I really recommend Going Postal, which was basically just about the corporate consolidation of the internet and web infrastructure, only in fantasy wizard land

The Grumbles fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jun 10, 2021

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
yeah I've only read most of them once. I think the only ones I've read more than once are Small Gods, Mort, Wyrd Sisters and Pyramids. I was 12 and 13 when I read a lot of them so I'm sure I missed a bunch of stuff too.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

It feels like this is happening more and more, but it might just because it's just getting more attention.

Anyway Capcom you got the plot for the next Battle Network please make another one.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

The Grumbles posted:

It's all true and you know it except maybe replace Tool with Queen idk

I'm very confused about the imagined link between Tool and Pratchett, doubly so between Queen and Pratchett

I certainly haven't ever known a big Discworld fan that liked either one of those bands

edit: I mean, everyone likes Queen, but not... visibly

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

stev posted:

Probably the big thing will be circumventing the micro-transaction cash shop, which honestly is a good thing for players to be able to do.

Viewtiful Jew
Apr 21, 2007
Mench'n-a-go-go-baby!

Viewtiful Jew posted:

One time I had a dream South Korea was making an MMO that looked like Wind Waker. Like it literally just used the art-style of the game down to the proportions of the characters. They all had those stubby leg-n-feet that characters from that sect of the series had.

Oh gently caress it wasn't a dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpsUAN4Sqo

It was REAL.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Viewtiful Jew posted:

Oh gently caress it wasn't a dream.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SWpsUAN4Sqo

It was REAL.

Man, Bravely Third lookin' rough

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Simone Magus posted:

I'm very confused about the imagined link between Tool and Pratchett, doubly so between Queen and Pratchett

I certainly haven't ever known a big Discworld fan that liked either one of those bands

edit: I mean, everyone likes Queen, but not... visibly

as loathe as I am to explain the joke, the link is "huge nerds at school who thought they were better than everyone else because they were early achievers, and the things those nerds were way into, in part because they thought those things were higher cultural offerings than what all the other kids were into"

As I type this I realise that puts the Discworld fanbase dangerously into Rick & Morty fanbase territory, but I suppose books require effort to read so those gates will always be kept a lil. Plus the discworld books are just generally a lot kinder

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
sounds like a joke for people to make who are still in high school about other highschoolers

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

black market FIFA Ultimate Team cards...

Oh yeah. Sounds good.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Electric Phantasm posted:

It feels like this is happening more and more, but it might just because it's just getting more attention.

It is happening more and more. The software you use to perform these attacks has been packaged into turnkey solutions, automated, and scaled up. Every company skimps on security somewhere and cryptocurrency makes it easier than ever to extract money from finding their mistakes

haveblue fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Jun 10, 2021

CubeTheory
Mar 26, 2010

Cube Reversal

haveblue posted:

It is happening more and more. The software you use to perform these attacks has been packaged into turnkey solutions, automated, and scaled up. Every company skimps on security somewhere and cryptocurrency makes it easier than ever to extract money from finding their mistakes

I, for one, think it's hilarious.

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames

Khanstant posted:

sounds like a joke for people to make who are still in high school about other highschoolers

But now I'm sitting here wondering if I stole the "everyone likes... but not visibly" line from a Disc book or if I minted that one myself

Gonna use it either way though

"Oof, there's a big Tool fan"
"...eh? You like Tool, but."
"Sure, sure... aye... not visibly, mind..."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

haveblue posted:

Thanks for the explanation!

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
Oh, I meant to post this yesterday

More Weird poo poo About America

So I was driving to a client yesterday, on the highway, going like 100, when suddenly I heard a huge "WHACK" noise right next to my left ear, and I thought I felt something maybe. I was like "Whoah, did a piece of wood just fall off a truck and hit me or what?"

So then I went to get gas and looked in my back seat and

there was this MASSIVE, like, as long as my middle finger, bumblebee(????) dead in my back seat. its head was missing!!!!!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Simone Magus posted:

there was this MASSIVE, like, as long as my middle finger, bumblebee(????) dead in my back seat. its head was missing!!!!!

:stare:

Bees are very cool and great and I like to hang out with them but a headless one just flopping down in your backseat sounds unnerving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bone emulator
Nov 3, 2005

Wrrroavr

I'm glad the Discworld enjoyers eventually logged on, Discworld is great.

Terry Pratchett posted:

““The reason that the rich were so rich, Vimes reasoned, was because they managed to spend less money.

Take boots, for example. He earned thirty-eight dollars a month plus allowances. A really good pair of leather boots cost fifty dollars. But an affordable pair of boots, which were sort of OK for a season or two and then leaked like hell when the cardboard gave out, cost about ten dollars. Those were the kind of boots Vimes always bought, and wore until the soles were so thin that he could tell where he was in Ankh-Morpork on a foggy night by the feel of the cobbles.

But the thing was that good boots lasted for years and years. A man who could afford fifty dollars had a pair of boots that'd still be keeping his feet dry in ten years' time, while the poor man who could only afford cheap boots would have spent a hundred dollars on boots in the same time and would still have wet feet.

This was the Captain Samuel Vimes 'Boots' theory of socioeconomic unfairness.” ”