Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Jokymi posted:

It doesn't sound good!

Highlights from that article:
- The only available resolutions are 1280x720, 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. The only way to switch between them is by using the Steam launch options menu.
- Zero keyboard/mouse support
- This fun note from the developers:

that's a bummer. i tried to play ninja gaiden when i was a young child and didn't make it past the first room of enemies. i really wanted to play it again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So I played through all the campaigns of Sacrifice over the last couple months. Or rather, I tried to but then my game crashed on the penultimate Stratos mission and has become corrupted or something because I can't load it, and of course I have no backups and there are no autosaves. Very annoying because I'd just reached the point where Stratos goes from probably the weakest god to one of the strongest.

Anyways, it's a really fantastic, unique game all right. Such bizarre unit design, I love the way high tier spells are apocalyptic and really deform the landscape, and of course the writing and voice acting is excellent. Like, everyone always brings up Tim Curry, but the rest of the cast does an excellent job too. I think the one thing detracting from the overall experience is that it does get pretty repetitive: most missions are pretty much just skirmish matches, and the various deicide levels are basically the same regardless of who you're playing as. Still, a real cult classic, that.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Anybody tried Chivalry 2 yet?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Imagined posted:

It's very, very good. More focused on fun man smashing and giant fights than hyper serious dueling and highly technical mechanics - though they did steal basically all of Mordhau's good ideas for the fighting - but if that's your jam (basically did you like Chiv 1?) it's a ton of fun.

https://i.imgur.com/Kv81zS3.gifv

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
Yes, I loving loved Chivalry 1, so that's good news!

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Mordja posted:

So I played through all the campaigns of Sacrifice over the last couple months. Or rather, I tried to but then my game crashed on the penultimate Stratos mission and has become corrupted or something because I can't load it, and of course I have no backups and there are no autosaves. Very annoying because I'd just reached the point where Stratos goes from probably the weakest god to one of the strongest.

Anyways, it's a really fantastic, unique game all right. Such bizarre unit design, I love the way high tier spells are apocalyptic and really deform the landscape, and of course the writing and voice acting is excellent. Like, everyone always brings up Tim Curry, but the rest of the cast does an excellent job too. I think the one thing detracting from the overall experience is that it does get pretty repetitive: most missions are pretty much just skirmish matches, and the various deicide levels are basically the same regardless of who you're playing as. Still, a real cult classic, that.

Yeah, Sacrifice is one of my favorite games of all time. I would love a spiritual successor that carried on its art direction and the sheer power of the higher level spells.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."

Jokymi posted:

It doesn't sound good!

Highlights from that article:
- The only available resolutions are 1280x720, 1920x1080 and 3840x2160. The only way to switch between them is by using the Steam launch options menu.
- Zero keyboard/mouse support
- This fun note from the developers:

I was looking forward to the Ninja Gaiden ports as I've never played those. Why did they even bother to port it if they can't even get resolution options right?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

ZearothK posted:

Yeah, Sacrifice is one of my favorite games of all time. I would love a spiritual successor that carried on its art direction and the sheer power of the higher level spells.

Oh man, that's something I absolutely loved that seemed to be confined to the late 90s, early 00s: apocalyptic, terrain deforming spells that can wipe out armies in a single go. Populous: The Beginning had that too in its volcano. My favourite is definitely James', which literally causes the ground to fall out from under your foes. Nowadays it's all particle effects with no real physicality.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Imagined posted:

It's fantastic. It's more of the same as Chiv 1 really but everything about it feels more refined than the first. Can't recommend it enough if you were a fan of the original.

Vasler
Feb 17, 2004
Greetings Earthling! Do you have any Zoom Boots?
I picked up Civ VI from the humble bundle and I only have one thing to say: Why the hell is the DLC situation so confusing? There's these tiny nation packs, with some of them containing the nation and a couple other things, and then other nation packs unlock entirely new modes.

Oh and there's also bigger DLC packs that contain the nation packs and goddamn are they expensive.

I got my answer in the Civ VI thread but I thought I'd complain here too.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Mordja posted:

Oh man, that's something I absolutely loved that seemed to be confined to the late 90s, early 00s: apocalyptic, terrain deforming spells that can wipe out armies in a single go. Populous: The Beginning had that too in its volcano. My favourite is definitely James', which literally causes the ground to fall out from under your foes. Nowadays it's all particle effects with no real physicality.
The only thing since thats come close for me is From Dust, but I was really hoping for something more like Populous than a puzzle game.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I've complained about it recently in this very thread but the entire trend in the last few years of having early deep sales on a base game (or even giving the base game away for free) but then having 50 DLC at/near full-price forever if you actually want the WHOLE game, never allowing any 'Game of the Year' edition to go cheap can just go jump in the lake as far as I'm concerned. I get it, you're not working for free, but if a game has been out for like 3+ years I feel like a patient person ought to be able to pick up a GOTY version cheap if they were willing to be patient.

Looking at you:
- Every fighting game
- Vermintide/2
- Civilization VI
- Ashes of the Singularity
- Every Paradox game
- Every Total War game
- Darkest Dungeon
- Every Ubisoft game

Basically if at any point any single piece of DLC is more expensive than the entire base game, it's guilty of the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just can't bring myself to buy a "$5" game if the version with all the DLC is still $70. :negative:

Imagined fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Jun 10, 2021

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

listen here paradox has been doing that for far longer than any recent trend

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Mordja posted:

I'll always remember the topsy turvy bomb from Armed and Dangerous as a ridiculous weapon that we'll never see again. It literally flipped the entire game upside down and caused everyone to fall into the sky.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I get most of the complaint, but Paradox DLC goes on sale for 50-75% off fairly regularly. Pretty sure I have seen big discounts on Civ and Total war DLC too.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Yeah, it's normally only the most recent one that isn't at least 50% off. The problem comes from trying to get them all at once.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
I'm a dedicated cheapskate. I can wait. :colbert: I didn't even get The Witcher 3 until the GOTY version finally dropped under $10 earlier this year, and that was from 2015.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The total cost of all Vermintide 1 gameplay DLC (not including the four or five purely cosmetic ones) plus base game is currently $8 less than the full price of the base game not on sale. Ubisoft GOTY editions go on sale all the time. At some point this becomes a your brainworms problem.

repiv
Aug 13, 2009

It seems like the evidence for NMH PC using stolen Dolphin emulator code is just that it contains the word "Dolphin", but the engine has its roots on the Gamecube which was also codenamed Dolphin

https://twitter.com/marcan42/status/1402945612274749440

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass
I've never played Chivalry or Mordhau but Chivalry 2 is looking interesting, but I'm more interested in objective stuff like sieges than just free-for-all melee pvp. How is doing something like a siege? Can you actually affect a battle or is it like on a timer? Can you use a catapult?? Would like to hear some goon thoughts.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

PlushCow posted:

I've never played Chivalry or Mordhau but Chivalry 2 is looking interesting, but I'm more interested in objective stuff like sieges than just free-for-all melee pvp. How is doing something like a siege? Can you actually affect a battle or is it like on a timer? Can you use a catapult?? Would like to hear some goon thoughts.

The siege modes feel like payload maps in Team Fortress, you're basically moving a battering ram or siege tower by being beside it, once you're through the wall the objectives change between maps. Most of them end with the last phase being "Defend the King" and whoever is 1st place on the defending team gets to be the king and try to hold out. You can absolutely affect a battle by clearing enough space for your battering ram to get into position, or by holding a point or whatever. There are catapults you can use! Don't worry too much about it being objective based, most people just run around stabbing each other anyway but the objectives aren't really complicated and mostly involve taking an area over. There's also just straight TDM modes and FFA as well if you wanted to play without objectives. Game's great. Really really good fun.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Imagined posted:

I've complained about it recently in this very thread but the entire trend in the last few years of having early deep sales on a base game (or even giving the base game away for free) but then having 50 DLC at/near full-price forever if you actually want the WHOLE game, never allowing any 'Game of the Year' edition to go cheap can just go jump in the lake as far as I'm concerned. I get it, you're not working for free, but if a game has been out for like 3+ years I feel like a patient person ought to be able to pick up a GOTY version cheap if they were willing to be patient.

Looking at you:
- Every fighting game
- Vermintide/2
- Civilization VI
- Every Paradox game
- Every Total War game
- Darkest Dungeon
- Every Ubisoft game

Basically if at any point any single piece of DLC is more expensive than the entire base game, it's guilty of the kind of thing I'm talking about. I just can't bring myself to buy a "$5" game if the version with all the DLC is still $70. :negative:

While I hate this poo poo too, Ubisoft...really isn't one of the companies I'd accuse of doing it? At least not by default. Certain games of theirs are a headache to navigate all the different slightly different DLC packages but even then the ones I can think of are pretty old at this point.

John Murdoch fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 10, 2021

Orv
May 4, 2011

PlushCow posted:

The modes in the game right now are team objective, tdm, ffa and duels. To your point;

Team Objective consists of a series of progressive objectives with varying goals and gameplay on each map, with the defending team trying to prevent the attacking team from completing all objectives in time. One map, by example, goes;

Stage One - Kill the peasants and burn down the town; The defending team spawns initially as peasants with lovely weapons and no armor, then respawns as their main characters. The attacking team kills the peasants, breaks down the gates and lights bonfires inside the town, using those bonfires (press E, bar fills) to grab a torch and then physically throw it at houses to burn them. Attackers lose if all the houses don't burn.

Stage Two - Breach the gates. Attackers move from the small pallisade town at the bottom of the hill, up to the major defensive wall. Attackers have to melee attack the gate to destroy it. Ladders can also be raised to get up on the walls and interfere with the defenders throwing large rocks and projectiles down at the outside of the gate. Attackers lose if the gate isn't broken.

Stage Three - Steal the gold; Attackers move into the castle town, breaking barricades and looting two carts on either end of the town of their gold, carrying it back to their centralized cart. Carry all the gold back to complete the stage, attackers lose if any gold remains when time runs out.

Stage Four - Steal more gold; (seriously who gave these peasants all this loving gold) gold items and objects are scattered around a marketplace. This time it's simple hold E and fill a bar to pick up each gold item, there's approximately forty items some of which are extremely hard to complete the action on under attack. Attackers lose if gold remains at timer.

Stage Five, final - Kill the garrison. The defending team spawns in repeatedly in a small courtyard around the castle and has a limited number of lives that must remain when the timer runs down. Attackers win by killing enough defenders. Defenders eventually start spawning as peasants to defend the last remaining soldiers.

In broad terms, yeah one person can absolutely make a difference, especially since like any team game on the internet since the dawn of time, no one does the loving objectives. So grabbing a torch and running to your death through enemy lines but you still get the torch on the roof can absolutely secure a stage. Catapults and ballista are both available on various maps.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

So I'm reading this cool article series on the history of Text Games and I'm laughing at this little piece of gaming history:

quote:

"By 1975 PLATO’s gaming subculture had become an increasingly irritating thorn in the side of those who thought these expensive computers should be used for education. An archive of the network’s electronic message board (one of the world’s first) contains dozens of annoyed rants about gamers,

Some complainants took matters into their own hands (ellipses in original):

" sabotaged as many games as i could find after the morons using them refused to stop after repeated requests via message .... the games have not been destroyed but a ‘stop*’ command has been inserted in the first block of each ...."

:allears:

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

explosivo posted:

Chivalry 2 words

Orv posted:

Chivalry 2 words

Sounds pretty good I think I'll pick it up. Epic seems to have a similar 2 hour return policy as Steam so I think I'll find out quick if it's not my jam.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

It's one word actually

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
The key to enjoying Chivalry is to always be pressing the yell button. All the time. Do this and it will be your GOTY forever.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Blattdorf posted:

I was looking forward to the Ninja Gaiden ports as I've never played those. Why did they even bother to port it if they can't even get resolution options right?

profit is guaranteed if you only need to sell one copy to achieve profit

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007
It seems so short-sighted, though. Every other Japanese console dev seems to have realized years ago that PC ports getting streamed on Twitch are a BFD, witness how much From Software's ports have improved over the years, for example.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Imagined posted:

Looking at you:
- Every fighting game
- Vermintide/2
- Civilization VI
- Every Paradox game
- Every Total War game
- Darkest Dungeon
- Every Ubisoft game

I totally get this complaint although Paradox's dlc is often the type that adds a ton of complexity to games that are already taxing enough. Like, you can play Europa Universalis or Stellaris or Cities Skylines with all the dlc as a total newbie, but you won't be able to use or understand half of the new poo poo until you're like 20 hours in. (Also some of the dlc are straight up downgrades unless you like playing in challenge mode)

I learned those games by just turning all the dlc off. Trying to figure out road layouts in Cities Skylines was a living hell when I was being hit with tornadoes and floods every 20 minutes.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

It's one word actually

Mordhau's 14 words

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Fruits of the sea posted:

I totally get this complaint although Paradox's dlc is often the type that adds a ton of complexity to games that are already taxing enough. Like, you can play Europa Universalis or Stellaris or Cities Skylines with all the dlc as a total newbie, but you won't be able to use or understand half of the new poo poo until you're like 20 hours in. (Also some of the dlc are straight up downgrades unless you like playing in challenge mode)

I learned those games by just turning all the dlc off. Trying to figure out road layouts in Cities Skylines was a living hell when I was being hit with tornadoes and floods every 20 minutes.

Tbf the patches add a lot of complexity too. Unlike a lot of other games, where I often have a desire to want to wait for patches and DLC to play them in something closer to their final form, with Paradox games I usually end up feeling like I need to get in somewhere closer to the ground floor so I can know how the gently caress to play them before they add too much other stuff to learn on top of it. I kind of wish each major expansion would update the tutorial to walk players through new features.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Mordja posted:

Need to go back and try this again, loved it as a kid but barely could run it or understand it at the time besides just liking the whole vibe. plus the narrator kept saying "mana whores" and that got a lot of laugh mileage as a teen. Wish someone would revisit that idea, refine things a bit. Felt like an experimental game that did a lot of cool stuff but never really got any followup.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
Gave the No More Heroes 2 port a try. Strange game, I'd never heard of it before and had no idea what it was about. The main guy shaking his sword like it's his dick to charge it up was pretty funny but overall I don't think it's my thing. Must work a lot better for the wiimotes, for my standard controller it made me feel like I was gonna wreck it from all the little 'wiggle this stick back and forth super fast to do this thing' moments. It's also a strange mix of very adult humor and standard anime ridiculousness.

Also making fun of 4chan/nazi garbage like wojack memes is a totally normal and expected thing to do, don't post that poo poo if you don't want that to happen pretty simple

Orv posted:

The modes in the game right now are team objective, tdm, ffa and duels. To your point;

Most people just run around trying to gang up on and pick off lone players to improve their k/d ratio though lol. Or get in a favorable position to use their cheese strat of choice. Not that that's a bad thing but yeah people are very easily distracted unless the objective is clear and obvious and right in front of them.

Imagined
Feb 2, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

While I hate this poo poo too, Ubisoft...really isn't one of the companies I'd accuse of doing it? At least not by default. Certain games of theirs are a headache to navigate all the different slightly different DLC packages but even then the ones I can think of are pretty old at this point.

Depends on your definition of cheap. AssCreed Odyssey's super-ultra-mega package, for example, still hovers around $20 even on sale I don't care if it's 'just cosmetic' DLC :colbert:. My backlog of 40+ hour single-player games is so deep at this point I'm willing to wait for years and years. I mean I JUST finally installed Morrowind the other day. It's definitely my brainworms, but I feel like at SOME point the "GOTY" version should be less than $10 if the base game has been. It just feels like the point where the base game is less than $10 is getting faster and faster but the time where the WHOLE game is less than $10 is getting longer and longer. But like they said, my brainworms. But it's not my imagination -- developers have definitely learned how to use things like this to manipulate the Steam-sale psychology over the years.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Fruits of the sea posted:

Isn't EU's DLC system so unwieldy now that Paradox is trying to get people to just pay a monthly subscription to keep up with all the content

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
The "Ultimate Edition" of AC:Odyssey is $149.99 CAD on Steam right now. I'm not surprised since it just came out in 2018 and that's not all that old for a popular game to stay out of the bargain bin. If it went down to $20 I would consider that a pretty good price.

Call of Duty Black Ops (the 2010 one) is still $43.99 CAD on Steam for some reason. The "Call of Duty Bundle" is $1,139.45 and that doesn't even include the last few games since they moved over to the Blizzard store. I wonder how many of those have been sold.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Imagined posted:

Depends on your definition of cheap. AssCreed Odyssey's super-ultra-mega package, for example, still hovers around $20 even on sale I don't care if it's 'just cosmetic' DLC :colbert:. My backlog of 40+ hour single-player games is so deep at this point I'm willing to wait for years and years. I mean I JUST finally installed Morrowind the other day. It's definitely my brainworms, but I feel like at SOME point the "GOTY" version should be less than $10 if the base game has been. It just feels like the point where the base game is less than $10 is getting faster and faster but the time where the WHOLE game is less than $10 is getting longer and longer. But like they said, my brainworms. But it's not my imagination -- developers have definitely learned how to use things like this to manipulate the Steam-sale psychology over the years.

For games without DLC, the base game stays more expensive for longer than it used to as far as I can tell (since everyone ultimately agreed the old Steam sale discounts were too steep). Rather than viewing this as something you're losing by DLC retaining value for longer, maybe it would be helpful to view it as DLC subsidizing cheap base games, especially for a game like Odyssey where the base game is way better than the expansion content (imo), and certainly long enough that you're unlikely to feel any pressing need to play more if you fully explore its content.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Isn't EU's DLC system so unwieldy now that Paradox is trying to get people to just pay a monthly subscription to keep up with all the content

Yes, although I think like half the dlc is themed music or buildings for different geographic regions.

It's the kind of game where once you get a handle on it, you buy the dlc for the specific gimmick you are going for. ie Indian trade baron, european crusader etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
imo you shouldn't even worry about the DLCs unless you play the game and love it so much you play it through to the end. Usually I don't play games all the way through anyways so what need have I of a DLC for that game