Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hobbes posted:

It seemed like a thing at the time, but was there really much backlash or was it a just a clickbaity thing to get all the gamergate dorks riled till the next female lead movie came out?

Mostly the latter, yeah. Any backlash that existed was fulminated by all the Gamergate comics sites talking about how the wokes were going to remove She-Ra's "sex appeal" (lol).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Android Blues posted:

Mostly the latter, yeah. Any backlash that existed was fulminated by all the Gamergate comics sites talking about how the wokes were going to remove She-Ra's "sex appeal" (lol).

The chud concern for a 30+ year old IP was loving pathetic.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Jun 8, 2021

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

side_burned posted:

The chud concern for a 30+ year old IP was loving pathetic.

It's just the same logic that Chairman Drek had in the first Ratchet and Clank game: "Just because I don't need the thing doesn't mean any one else should have any."

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hobbes posted:

It seemed like a thing at the time, but was there really much backlash or was it a just a clickbaity thing to get all the gamergate dorks riled till the next female lead movie came out?

There were a bunch of people posting "fixed" fanart of her that included making her face prettier, giving her cleavage, smaller waist, much smaller shoulders, giving her heels&miniskirt etc.

Lots of people claiming they were respecting the true intent of the original show, a show that in the 80s if they were kids they probably made fun for being girly.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

This fandom is insane and makes me glad I’m just a casual viewer at best.

Speaking of, do we know who’s involved with the He-Man reboot (the other show that’s coming out alongside Revelations) or anything about it besides the He-Man and Skeletor figures/designs I posted a page or two back? Because I kind of hope those characters wind up getting a bit more depth to them as well.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Larryb posted:

This fandom is insane and makes me glad I’m just a casual viewer at best.

Speaking of, do we know who’s involved with the He-Man reboot (the other show that’s coming out alongside Revelations) or anything about it besides the He-Man and Skeletor figures/designs I posted a page or two back? Because I kind of hope those characters wind up getting a bit more depth to them as well.

Well, yes and no, only because of the extremes on each side.

The "fandom" of people want sexed up cartoon characters is a pretty specific flavor of men who hate sjws and claim any poc inclusion is pandering, its not unique to Shera by any means. They glomp onto the latest flavor of the week and scream their heads off about how X is now ruined.

The other side is anime furry Twitter, where it's a race to cancel whoever whenever you can for percieved slights as evidenced from the attempt to cancel Noelle over some random livestream.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Fair, pretty much every fandom has its toxic elements.

There weren’t any cases of staff or actors associated with the show being harassed by these people were there?

Speaking of actors, did the ones for Adora and Catra do anything else significant before or after the series?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jun 8, 2021

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Larryb posted:

Fair, pretty much every fandom has its toxic elements.

There weren’t any cases of staff or actors associated with the show being harassed by these people were there?

Speaking of actors, did the ones for Adora and Catra do anything else significant before or after the series?

I know some of the actors for Voltron caught heat for the final two seasons from insane fans too.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Larryb posted:

AJ Michalka (Catra) was in a few shows, and was a Disney Channel kid. Aimee Carrero (Adora) was in a few things here and there.

The ones I think of personally were that Michalka was Stevonnie in Steven Universe and Carrero was the title role in Elena of Avalor.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Even if it’s not the same version of the characters I’d kind of like to see some of the SPoP actors reprise their roles in a future show (particularly Adora and Hordak’s VAs)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I think Aj had a band too.

And I'll keep asking for a season 6/movie forever.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I think Dreamworks has moved over to Hulu now but I’d still love to see them take another crack at the franchise one day.

Hopefully the upcoming He-Man shows will be decent regardless though (Revelations looks good visually at least and seems to have a promising cast).

Though on that note, what could a She Ra Season 6/movie even entail? The series seemed to end pretty conclusively to me (though I suppose they could bring in some more He-Man stuff or something, I could see Skeletor at least fitting in pretty well with this particular universe)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jun 9, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Larryb posted:

Though on that note, what could a She Ra Season 6/movie even entail? The series seemed to end pretty conclusively to me (though I suppose they could bring in some more He-Man stuff or something, I could see Skeletor at least fitting in pretty well with this particular universe)
The best friend squad did in the final scenes of the series itself talk about a trip to restore magic to the rest of the universe, so that's one thing. Mermista also expressed concern about Hordak being a good guy now. There's also the case of Horde Prime's army: As Wrong Hordak demonstrated, being disconnected from the hive mind does not render a clone non-functional.

...and I just want to see Catra and Adora's wedding happen onscreen. And, of course, get more Entrapta.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
I do think the angle of Scorpia’s first princess prom needs to be explored

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

I skimmed a fansite while looking for something else and saw that apparently the creator did a livestream where she sketched a non-binary child for them, so that could be one possibility (along with a time jump) but the notes said it was non-canon so it's probably just one idea they had floating around.

I will be thinking about this show for a long time to come. The Power of Friendship is so strong it even worked on an AI (Light Hope retaining a single memory of Mara in the S4 finale) and Hordak, though in his case it seemed more like he grew to respect Entrapta professionally. But, hey, it counts!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

KennyMan666 posted:

The best friend squad did in the final scenes of the series itself talk about a trip to restore magic to the rest of the universe, so that's one thing. Mermista also expressed concern about Hordak being a good guy now. There's also the case of Horde Prime's army: As Wrong Hordak demonstrated, being disconnected from the hive mind does not render a clone non-functional.

...and I just want to see Catra and Adora's wedding happen onscreen. And, of course, get more Entrapta.

Also maybe not everyone in the kingdom is comfortable with Catra’s sudden face turn (she did nearly destroy reality at one point after all) and as you mentioned Hordak being a good guy now is bound to raise a few eyebrows so I could see them exploring that a bit.

Though considering the former is now She Ra’s girlfriend/eventual wife I would assume they’d be smart enough to not press the issue. It could also be interesting to see how Catra’s dealing with her new home and what exactly Hordak plans to do now that he’s free.

Though I still think a SPoP version of Skeletor and his minions coming in as the new antagonists could possibly be fun (the whole concept from the original of Adora having a brother is probably out the window at this point though considering she’s a First One).

Larryb fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Jun 9, 2021

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Just have a fun Space Opera adventure.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I liked when Catra first met the magic cat and the others start mildly teasing her and she's like "I'm trying something here... I think this thing reacts to how I'm feeling, so could you PLEASE not give me a hard TIME right now..."

Kalko
Oct 9, 2004

Then later the cat pounces on Adora and licks her face after Catra had shied away from her, betraying her true feelings.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Melog is great, and if Wrong Hordak didn't exist would be my favorite new character of Season 5. (Admittedly a narrow superlative, but I like both of them more than most of the cast added past Season 1 tbh. If DT and Micah didn't exist, "since Season 1" would be the superlative)

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked when Catra first met the magic cat and the others start mildly teasing her and she's like "I'm trying something here... I think this thing reacts to how I'm feeling, so could you PLEASE not give me a hard TIME right now..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwNM4jrYOGs

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Senerio posted:

Melog is great, and if Wrong Hordak didn't exist would be my favorite new character of Season 5. (Admittedly a narrow superlative, but I like both of them more than most of the cast added past Season 1 tbh. If DT and Micah didn't exist, "since Season 1" would be the superlative)

That's still pretty narrow honestly. So they beat out Huntara, Bow's dads, and uhhh? Some other Crimson Wastes randos? Mara actually appearing onscreen? Emily?actually I'm pretty sure Entrapta had already named her in S1. I guess if you wanted to count Flutterina separately from DT? I think season 5 actually introduced about as many new characters as 2-4 put together.

Cattail Prophet fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Jun 10, 2021

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
You dare forget the name of Tung Lashor?

All seriousness I was just saying I like the characters.

DT is in my top 5 because they're my type of shithead

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I really wish Dreamworks would get another crack at this franchise one day. SPoP is both charming and compelling at the same time.

I forget, was 80’s Adora as much of a lovable dork as current Adora is?

Cattail Prophet
Apr 12, 2014

Look I was specifically thinking about him and remembered that Catra made fun of his dumb name, I just couldn't remember what the dumb name actually was.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

Cattail Prophet posted:

Look I was specifically thinking about him and remembered that Catra made fun of his dumb name, I just couldn't remember what the dumb name actually was.

It's kind of the same energy as Rocket Raccoon taking the piss out of Taser-Face in Guardians 2.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, we’ve got a trailer for Revelations:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=81wyj65SJIo

Vietnamwees
May 8, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Can’t wait to watch those cartoon savages again while that song plays

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I definitely hear a bit of Joker in Hamill’s Skeletor voice as expected, not sure why they used Holding Out For A Hero as the trailer music but it works pretty well.

It looks nice at the very least though I’m still curious how they’re going to make this accessible to new viewers since this is apparently a direct sequel to the 80’s show

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Larryb posted:

Off the subject, we’ve got a trailer for Revelations:

https://youtube.com/watch?v=81wyj65SJIo

That music choice is either absolute genius or absolute madness. I'm here for it either way.

I have hope that they'll do Skeletor justice. His defining feature, to me, is how he delighted in being the biggest rear end in a top hat in the room. Just absolute joy at stealing someone's thunder, ruining their day, or just generally being a dick. If anyone can pull that off, it's Hamil.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Larryb posted:

It looks nice at the very least though I’m still curious how they’re going to make this accessible to new viewers since this is apparently a direct sequel to the 80’s show

But is it a direct sequel to The New Adventures of He-Man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Do we know anything about the other He-Man show that’s coming out yet (the one that’s more of a straight reboot like the Netflix She Ra was)? I know a few toys from it were revealed recently but that’s about it so far.

Also not gonna lie, I’d love to see a He-Man reboot done in the same style as the She Ra one (though who would Adam’s gay love interest be?)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Jun 10, 2021

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I also appreciate from screenshots that they seem to be making an effort to actually make Adam and He-Man look more visually distinct from each other (which makes the whole secret identity thing a lot more believable as a result).

The other He-Man show will apparently be CG and these guys will be handling it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_of_Cool

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:04 on Jun 10, 2021

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

Larryb posted:

though who would Adam’s gay love interest be?
How could it not be Fisto?

Alternatively, Adam just has an entire buff guy harem.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

KennyMan666 posted:

How could it not be Fisto?

Alternatively, Adam just has an entire buff guy harem.

:hmmyes:

Fisto, Clamp Champ, Stratos, and Zodac all vying for his affections.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

Larryb posted:

I definitely hear a bit of Joker in Hamill’s Skeletor voice as expected, not sure why they used Holding Out For A Hero as the trailer music but it works pretty well.

In the category of WTF, ORKO having a moment where he's not being a joke as a wizard? Is that like a dream sequence or something?

The_Doctor posted:

:hmmyes:

Fisto, Clamp Champ, Stratos, and Zodac all vying for his affections.

What's "vying" an innuendo for in this case?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Who knows, maybe they’re making Orko competent in this series or something (which seems like a mistake to me)

Also Skeletor’s original VA Allan Oppenheimer is apparently voicing Moss Man in this series (kind of ironic as that’s one of the few characters he DIDN’T play in the original) while the new Beast Man is Kevin Michael Richardson.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Jun 11, 2021

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Larryb posted:

Who knows, maybe they’re making Orko competent in this series or something (which seems like a mistake to me)

If the other characters are capable of being funny on their own, you don't really need a comic relief character. After all, Swiftwind is a comic relief character and almost everybody hates him.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

MadDogMike posted:

What's "vying" an innuendo for in this case?

I don't understand, vying means 'to strive in competition or rivalry with another'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Also I just learned that there’s an official He-Man YouTube channel that has full episodes of the original through New Adventures (not sure if it’s region locked or anything though):

https://youtube.com/c/HeManOfficial/playlists

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Jun 11, 2021